NZGames.com Forums
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Go Back   NZGames.com Forums > General > Open Discussion > Politics
User Name
Password

Old 6th July 2011, 11:46     #1
Cynos

Labour's returning to the red

Proposing a capital gains tax of 15% on "investment properties" - it's a ballsy move, they'll need to package it well.
Old 6th July 2011, 12:04     #2
aR Que

What exactly does it mean? 15% of the initial purchase price has to be paid to the govt?
Old 6th July 2011, 12:12     #3
fixed_truth

Yeah it will be interesting to see the details and what revenue might realistically be expected etc. But it's definitely a bold (ie fuck you baby boomers) move towards what a lot of experts have indicated would be a good way to move investment out of housing and into the more productive side of the economy.
Old 6th July 2011, 12:29     #4
TD
Anas Latrina

Quote:
Originally Posted by aR Que
What exactly does it mean? 15% of the initial purchase price has to be paid to the govt?
The tax is when you sell and it is 15% of the difference between the purchase price and sale price.
Old 6th July 2011, 12:36     #5
Lightspeed

It seems like the right time to broach the idea, i.e. when they have little hope of getting elected anyways. Hopefully it'll allow National to pick up the idea as well, knowing it can't be used as a political football as much.
Old 6th July 2011, 12:40     #6
Cynos

They're posturing it as an alternative to SOE sales.
Old 6th July 2011, 12:51     #7
A Corpse
talkative lurker

CGT has been poo-poohed by Key as too difficult to administer.

Yeah, sure. I bet that's the reason.

Not that your support base all own multiple properties at all. Nooooooo.
Old 6th July 2011, 12:55     #8
aR Que

Quote:
Originally Posted by TD
The tax is when you sell and it is 15% of the difference between the purchase price and sale price.
*scratches chin* I see, that makes more sense, I take it you don't get a 15% rebate of the difference if you sell at a loss?

Typed out a dozen more questions and realised, the details are what we are waiting for, heh.
Old 6th July 2011, 12:55     #9
xor

Hope this happens.
Old 6th July 2011, 13:04     #10
GRiM ReeFer

How can we create a climate were individuals only investment choice is to hand their money over to investment firms to play with?

Create volatility in the market, shake out all the small investors leaving only the large corporations under the guise of kicking the rich.

Last edited by GRiM ReeFer : 6th July 2011 at 13:06.
Old 6th July 2011, 13:25     #11
GRiM ReeFer

Side note:
Labour, get a clue, once the cat is out of the bag it is essential that you hold a press conference immediately and release all details of your plan, to hold back shows incompetence and invites speculation.
Old 6th July 2011, 13:42     #12
xor

Quote:
How can we create a climate were individuals only investment choice is to hand their money over to investment firms to play with?
This is true, although I don't know why anyone would invest in NZ financial markets.
Old 6th July 2011, 13:50     #13
fixed_truth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cynos
They're posturing it as an alternative to SOE sales.
It will be interesting to see if they posture this right. 'Yes we have shit-load of debt and CHCH needs fixed - National want to sell assets, we hear most of you don't want that - here's an alternative.'
Old 6th July 2011, 13:57     #14
Lightspeed

Regardless of how awesome the policy is, I can't say I currently trust Labour the effectively execute it if they got into power.
Old 6th July 2011, 15:42     #15
ZoSo

There's gotta be a foot shot in here somewhere.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/business/n...ectid=10736671

Quote:
Key said a 15 per cent capital gains tax on individual's investment property would raise $700 million a year, after 15 years.

That wouldn't raise enough for Labour's promises.

Citing media speculation that a capital gains tax would raise $4.5 billion annually, he said that the Tax Working Group came up with that figure but it was at 30 per cent and not just on investment properties but shares, business properties, farms, baches.

Looking at the way Australia had implemented it, it had taken 15 years to fully achieve.

"So for the next three years if they don't sell assets as they are arguing they wont, if they do have a $5000 tax-free threshhold as they arguing they will and they do take gst off fruit and vegetables, they are $12 billion in the hole for the first three years of that theoretical government with no cash coming in at all.
http://www.nbr.co.nz/article/labours...s-key-rh-96618

Love to hear GT's take on the numbers.
Old 6th July 2011, 16:06     #16
wugambino
Electric Boogaloo

Hope they are not planning some gay top tax rate of like 45c that kicks in @ 100k :\
Old 6th July 2011, 16:09     #17
CCS
Stunt Pants

^

Rich people deserve to BLEED!
Old 6th July 2011, 16:16     #18
^BITES^

Quote:
Originally Posted by wugambino
Hope they are not planning some gay top tax rate of like 45c that kicks in @ 100k :\
Ditto fuck that shit.

()_) ()_)--o-)_)
Old 6th July 2011, 16:49     #19
Lightspeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by wugambino
Who? Labour? I'm not sure why anyone would care about what they're planning. Considering they're not going to be able in a position to carry out their plans any time soon.
Old 6th July 2011, 17:47     #20
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Off the top of my head:

Why only residential property? Why not a CGT on any other sort of investment?

Especially why a CGT on only residential property when the residential property market is either plateaued or tanking? If nobody is making money out of property investment then the government won't make any money in tax - or won't make enough to make it worthwhile, or won't make enough to meet the election promises that justify the law change.

E.g. I see some unnamed muppet at TVNZ is saying this will be worth "4.5 billion". Over what time frame? How long will it take the govt to bring in 4.5 billion in CGT if the property market stays depressed? or tanks harder?

Why is the CGT as leaked going to be non-retrospective? So someone who bought a bach at the Mount in 1950 for $100 and sells it tomorrow for $10 million will pay no tax on that ten mill, but the person who buys it tomorrow and sells it next year for $1 more pays tax on the one dollar? Huh?
Old 6th July 2011, 17:49     #21
Saladin
Nothing to See Here!

4.5b was the Treasury figure that was based on all capital investment, not just residential property I think.
Old 6th July 2011, 19:27     #22
chubby

count me as curious to hear GT on this too.
he's said many times that it constitutes a 'good' tax, and that the only reason we dont have one already is labours lack of support for the idea.
Old 6th July 2011, 20:39     #23
Cynos

Someone just suggested an obvious workaround - now that gift duty has been abolished, form an LLC, gift the house to it, sell the LLC. Unless shares have a CGT?
Old 6th July 2011, 20:40     #24
Cynos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ab
Because it'd fuck a lot of farmers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ab
Why is the CGT as leaked going to be non-retrospective? So someone who bought a bach at the Mount in 1950 for $100 and sells it tomorrow for $10 million will pay no tax on that ten mill, but the person who buys it tomorrow and sells it next year for $1 more pays tax on the one dollar? Huh?
So as to not upset the baby boomers I posit.
Old 6th July 2011, 20:59     #25
Golden Teapot
Love, Actuary

I'd vote for them if:
1. It's applied retrospectively say this a five year glide-in path, and;
2. It's set at 30% or some similar number.

Anything less and their just playing electioneering.
Old 7th July 2011, 11:19     #26
Saladin
Nothing to See Here!

Heh
http://dimpost.wordpress.com/2011/07...an-i-expected/

Quote:
Just to restate this allegation: a party a million miles behind in the polls has hinted at a limited Capital Gains Tax, so frightened investors are going to buy their property in Australia, which has a comprehensive Capital Gains Tax.
Old 7th July 2011, 19:21     #27
MrTTTT

fuck the babyboomers. go CGT!!! hopefully stop them buying up all properties and locking out first home buyers ?
Old 7th July 2011, 19:44     #28
-Statik

So interest in a bank is taxed at 30%+ and property only at 15%? Won't change a thing. Yawn.
Old 7th July 2011, 21:55     #29
chubby

funny and smart enough.
http://publicaddress.net/cracker/another-capital-idea/
Old 8th July 2011, 12:31     #30
Draco T Bastard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ab
Off the top of my head:

It's not, it's comprehensive but doesn't include family homes. Which is really stupid actually as it adds a complexity that's not needed. A family home just isn't bought and sold that often to worry about the small amount of added tax that would eventuate.

Quote:
I'm figuring that:
a) Retrospective legislation is normally morally wrong
b) The actual purchase prices from previous years/decades just isn't available.
Old 8th July 2011, 12:37     #31
crocos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draco T Bastard
It's not, it's comprehensive but doesn't include family homes. Which is really stupid actually as it adds a complexity that's not needed. A family home just isn't bought and sold that often to worry about the small amount of added tax that would eventuate.
The point of excluding the family home is that it reduces the barrier to switching / improving the family home.

وكل يوم كنت تعيش في العبودية
Old 8th July 2011, 12:39     #32
Draco T Bastard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden Teapot
2. It's set at 30% or some similar number.
It's supposedly set at 15% to account for inflation. Personally, I'd prefer it to be properly inflation indexed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crocos
The point of excluding the family home is that it reduces the barrier to switching / improving the family home.
What barrier? So, you pay little extra tax. It's not a barrier.
Old 9th July 2011, 12:18     #33
chubby

http://gordoncampbell.scoop.co.nz/20...ns-tax-debate/

and the sydney herald guy...
http://www.radionz.co.nz/national/pr...-gains-tax.asx

Quote:
I thought NZ was something of a worldwide orphan … members of both sides of [Australian] politics use NZ as a sort of case study in strangeness because there’s a yawning gap in New Zealand’s tax system, which isn’t there in the UK’s tax system, isn’t there in the US tax system, isn’t there in the Australian tax system.

And yet the New Zealanders showed the way for us in the mid 80′s with their goods and services tax. And yet there’s always been this strange thing missing that New Zealand’s been unable to do, and I must say I thought it would never happen, it would be one of the continuing quaint things about our cousins across the ditch.
Quote:
… the idea is that if you earn a buck, you’ve earned a buck, it doesn’t matter how you’ve earned it. So if you earn a buck from working hard, labour, you’re taxed on that at your marginal tax rate. If you earn a buck from selling shares at a profit, or buying anything else really and selling it at a profit, speculation I suppose you could call it, you’re taxed on that at your marginal tax rate.

So if your marginal tax rate is low, 15%, that’s what you’re taxed. If your marginal tax rate is 30%, that’s what you’re taxed. …

There is no [separate] capital gains tax in Australia, and there is no [separate] capital gains tax in a lot of other countries. Capital gains are regarded as income.
Quote:
Raising isn’t the point. This is misunderstood.

A capital gains tax could be very effective if it raised nothing. What the capital gains tax does ideally is stop people, for tax reasons, changing income into capital gain. So even if the amount that you forecast you would raise from the capital gains tax is low, that isn’t an argument against the capital gains tax. Because if it is low, it’s because what it is doing is encouraging people to make fewer “capital gains” (with quotation marks around them) and make greater income.

It’s more a case of just not having (sort of) a big gap in the tax system people can drive trucks through.