NZGames.com Forums
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Go Back   NZGames.com Forums > General > Open Discussion
User Name
Password

Old 15th October 2014, 23:04     #3561
madmaxii

CCS, the first one is by far the best in my view. I used to live just down the road and walked under there numerous times, and never thought to take a picture like that. Good one
Old 16th October 2014, 00:11     #3562
mpx

Quote:
Originally Posted by ePi
The dog and the overturned car is great mpx.
Thanks! I thought that captured the true essence of West Auckland, haha. If only the toy car was on wooden blocks.

CCS: Those panoramics are intense, like no clipping or anything. I've never even considered trying to do it with my camera, I wonder if I even can! I love the industrial black and white look of those B&W ones!
Old 16th October 2014, 00:11     #3563
mpx

double post
Old 16th October 2014, 06:07     #3564
ePi

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpx
Thanks! I thought that captured the true essence of West Auckland, haha. If only the toy car was on wooden blocks.
I see what you mean, but I like it how it is. My interpretation is you've busted the dog in the middle of a demolition spree - it was the dog that overturned the toy car. Or maybe he's not even eyeing you, but the rubbish bin in the foreground which he's going to attack next. Either way, tells a story.
Old 16th October 2014, 14:06     #3565
CCS
Stunt Pants

madmaxii: thanks man!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpx
CCS: Those panoramics are intense, like no clipping or anything. I've never even considered trying to do it with my camera, I wonder if I even can! I love the industrial black and white look of those B&W ones!
I don't even know what clipping means, but thanks I'll take that

My limited experience with in-camera panoramic features is that they're a bit naff. I use Microsoft ICE for panoramas. It's free with no restrictions. Easy to use. Take a bunch of pictures with some overlap - side by side, up and down or a big grid - and throw them into ICE. It stitches them up real good.

I took these photos last year with my cellphone and then put them through ICE. The subject matter isn't amazing, but they're the sort of photos I just couldn't get without a wide lens. The last shot of the hotel - the branches at the top are from a tree behind me that I was standing up against. Stand any further back and get the tree blocking the hotel. Stand in front of the tree if you have a wide lens. That pic is made up of a grid of 6 photos from my phone.

Old 16th October 2014, 22:31     #3566
CCS
Stunt Pants

So this one is from yesterday, under the Harbour Bridge at Sulphur Beach.

Old 16th October 2014, 22:38     #3567
madmaxii

That's competition material CCS.
I think you must be a Troll living in the underbelly of the bridge. You capture its essence so well.
Old 18th October 2014, 09:17     #3568
CCS
Stunt Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmaxii
That's competition material CCS.
That's too kind. Starting to think you're taking the piss
Old 18th October 2014, 09:57     #3569
madmaxii

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCS
That's too kind. Starting to think you're taking the piss
Nope
Old 18th October 2014, 10:29     #3570
Spink

It's weird seeing these thoughtful compositions by CCS and stuff and being like gosh I bet whoever took these photos is a pretty cool guy and then it's like wait cognitive dissonance, it's almost as if the personas people project on the forums aren't their whole selves.
Old 18th October 2014, 10:48     #3571
CCS
Stunt Pants

Old 18th October 2014, 12:40     #3572
StN
I have detailed files

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCS
I took these photos last year with my cellphone and then put them through ICE. The subject matter isn't amazing, but they're the sort of photos I just couldn't get without a wide lens. The last shot of the hotel - the branches at the top are from a tree behind me that I was standing up against. Stand any further back and get the tree blocking the hotel. Stand in front of the tree if you have a wide lens. That pic is made up of a grid of 6 photos from my phone.

Is that the Rydges Riverwalk in Melbourne? I stayed there about 20 years ago I think.
Old 18th October 2014, 12:55     #3573
CCS
Stunt Pants

Almost. It's the Rydges in Albury which is about 3 hrs drive from Melbourne.
Old 29th October 2014, 16:51     #3574
ePi

10 days in Kuala Lumpur.

Old 29th October 2014, 16:53     #3575
ePi

Old 29th October 2014, 20:19     #3576
crocos

I dig the shot with the air conditioners - with a touch of photoshop you could make that a really cool tileable image

Do you develop the film yourself? Also looks quite a heavy grain - you shooting something like Illford HP4?

وكل يوم كنت تعيش في العبودية
Old 29th October 2014, 21:00     #3577
ePi

Quote:
Originally Posted by crocos
I dig the shot with the air conditioners - with a touch of photoshop you could make that a really cool tileable image

Do you develop the film yourself? Also looks quite a heavy grain - you shooting something like Illford HP4?
Cheers!

Super grainy stuff is Ilford Delta 3200 and maybe a few of the TriX400, Hp5+ too. Smooth stuff is Neopan400.

Not developing myself - I'm living out of a backpack and don't have the luggage space for a portable darkroom!
Old 19th November 2014, 23:32     #3578
mpx

Anyone know whether these ND filters on TradeMe are good? http://www.trademe.co.nz/electronics...-807649748.htm I really want to do long exposure during the day. I am addicted to it!

Time for another dump, methinks!

so art, much focus, what mean

Old 20th November 2014, 00:15     #3579
crocos

Those filters should* do the job, but be aware they work via polarised light, rather than a true neutral density filter. This means you may see some odd colour casts in the final image, but that would be just like using any other polarised filter.

* I have no experience with this model or seller.

For the spider and caterpillar shots: To get more of the critter in focus, use a smaller aperture (larger aperture number) and either light with a flash to get more localised light, or try a tripod + longer exposure. This will give you a greater depth of field, which is a perpetual challenge when doing macro photography.

PS: Fave is the crab-pot looking thing - lighting gives it quite a neat if vicious look I quite like, especially using the sky as the lighting mid-point.

Last edited by crocos : 20th November 2014 at 00:20.
Old 20th November 2014, 10:21     #3580
mpx

Thanks for the critique! You're the rare few who have given me such information, thank you :D

Unfortunately the aperture is wide open :( It's not a true macro lens, it's an adapter. I'm forever on the hunt for a cheap tripod, or cheap anything given my budget.

Would it be better to fork out for an actual ND filter, or just go for those cheaper polarised ones?
Old 20th November 2014, 10:26     #3581
Cyberbob

My fav's the green with the spider up the top. Awesome stuff

What sort of adapter are you using? A reversing ring, or extension tubes?
Old 20th November 2014, 11:55     #3582
mpx

Thanks That's my catnip bush, I grow it for tea and for the cats.

Just an extension tube with my 14-42mm kit lens. I tried it with my 50mm adapted lens but it didn't work out as well.
Old 20th November 2014, 12:02     #3583
crocos

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpx
Unfortunately the aperture is wide open It's not a true macro lens, it's an adapter... or cheap anything given my budget.
Look at getting an oldskool fully manual lens with an adapter - adapters are (depending) $10 to $80 (depending on type) while the lenses CAN be much cheaper than the adapter. EG: I've got a very nice 50mm f1.4, fully manual, with a Minolta MD bayonette. MD to EF adapter cost me $80 (well, plus $5 shipping) but the lens only cost $12 including shipping.
Point being this sort of fully manual lens gives you more control when using extension tubes or a reversing ring, etc, while even for buying lenses (as long as you don't mind manual focus) it can be cheap & fun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpx
Would it be better to fork out for an actual ND filter, or just go for those cheaper polarised ones?
While a larger investment up front, you might want to look into a Cokin-P (or compatible like 85mm HiTech or Lee filters) system, as you will be able to use those on any lens that has a front-screw as long as you've got adapter ring (which are pretty cheap). They also tend to be MUCH better quality.

Getting screw-on ND filters of any type are a false economy IMO as they only work for lenses that have the same or smaller (with size adapter rings) screw-thread on the lens.

Last edited by crocos : 20th November 2014 at 12:05.
Old 20th November 2014, 12:05     #3584
Cyberbob

How nice is the 50mm f1.4? CZ nice?
Old 20th November 2014, 12:17     #3585
Cyberbob

Man, I haven't taken macro shots in ages.
Here's a shoeboxed one I took years ago, don't think I ever had it on here though.

Abstract bubbles by Rick0r McZany, on Flickr

It's using a Nikkor 50mm f1.8 with 65mm of extension tubes and a reversing ring. I achieved about a 2:1 macro ratio, from memory.

These are just bubbles in a shaken bottle of hand sanitizer.
Old 20th November 2014, 12:29     #3586
mpx

Quote:
Look at getting an oldskool fully manual lens with an adapter - adapters are (depending) $10 to $80 (depending on type) while the lenses CAN be much cheaper than the adapter. EG: I've got a very nice 50mm f1.4, fully manual, with a Minolta MD bayonette. MD to EF adapter cost me $80 (well, plus $5 shipping) but the lens only cost $12 including shipping.
Point being this sort of fully manual lens gives you more control when using extension tubes or a reversing ring, etc, while even for buying lenses (as long as you don't mind manual focus) it can be cheap & fun.

While a larger investment up front, you might want to look into a Cokin-P (or compatible like 85mm HiTech or Lee filters) system, as you will be able to use those on any lens that has a front-screw as long as you've got adapter ring (which are pretty cheap). They also tend to be MUCH better quality.

Getting screw-on ND filters of any type are a false economy IMO as they only work for lenses that have the same or smaller (with size adapter rings) screw-thread on the lens.
Where did you find such a cheap lens!?

I have a few adapters, I think the Nikon one is the most stable though, I have Minolta but it's a bit flimsy, so I need to get another one because the Mintola lenses I got given by smudge are my favourites.

I do find that anything below 2.8ish I get some abberation on, do you find this with your lenses? My 50mm is 1.4, but I can't go that wide open otherwise I start to get the chromatic effect. They are all hand-me-downs from smudge though, so I've never complained - I'm just happy to have more than one lens to play with while I save up for a native m43 20mm :D!

And thanks for the info re. ND filters. You are right, I was going to get the 37mm for my kit lens, but I suppos I should just save up for the biggest one, and then get an adapter to use on all the other smaller lenses so I can use one good ND filter for all lenses.
Old 20th November 2014, 17:07     #3587
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Love the new pics mpx, you're improving at an awesome rate (don't take that as patronising, you really are) and without even being raped by lektronimo. Nice work.
Old 20th November 2014, 20:47     #3588
crocos

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpx
Where did you find such a cheap lens!?
TradeMe. It had a Buy Now that I made use of. Foolish seller
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpx
I do find that anything below 2.8ish I get some abberation on, do you find this with your lenses?
Varies, I research lenses as best I can before hitting the "Empty my wallet" button, but with the older stuff it can be hit&miss. The 50mm 1.4 I mentioned is sweet as even when wide open but I've got other stuff I just don't bother using because I just don't like the optical effects from the glass - chromatic aberration, blurs, vignetting, whatever.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpx
And thanks for the info re. ND filters. You are right, I was going to get the 37mm for my kit lens, but I suppos I should just save up for the biggest one, and then get an adapter to use on all the other smaller lenses so I can use one good ND filter for all lenses.
Weeeellp, that's why I was mentioning Cokin, Lee etc systems - tend to be more flexible than needing dozens of size adapters to switch between your lenses. Hell of a lot quicker too. Just don't get Genuine Cokin ND filters - they've got a colour cast, can look odd. Go for Lee or Hi Tech instead.

Last edited by crocos : 20th November 2014 at 20:50.
Old 20th November 2014, 20:54     #3589
crocos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ab
... and without even being raped by lektronimo.
Fuck, that's someone we've not heard from for a while. Hasn't posted since 2011, yet still has the 4th highest post count in this thread, lol

Old 20th November 2014, 21:48     #3590
mpx

Quote:
Weeeellp, that's why I was mentioning Cokin, Lee etc systems - tend to be more flexible than needing dozens of size adapters to switch between your lenses. Hell of a lot quicker too. Just don't get Genuine Cokin ND filters - they've got a colour cast, can look odd. Go for Lee or Hi Tech instead.
I'm finally home now and can google Cokin. I actually have something like that already!

These were also hand-me-downs from smudge; I'm pretty sure he told me what they were but back then I was green to the terminology of photography so I was most likely just smiling and nodding, "mhm, mhm, I know some of these words."

So that circle thing fits into that square thing and that's as far as I've gotten. I don't know how it fits onto a lens, and I don't know exactly what the filter is. I'm thinking it might be a polarising filter, rather than an ND filter - obviously I've not had any chance to put it on the camera to figure it out.
Old 20th November 2014, 22:06     #3591
mpx

I think I figured it out - it definitely lets less light in, so it could be an ND filter! And I need a 52mm lens to screw it into, which I don't have, however I'm guessing this is where I buy an adapter for my other lenses?
Old 20th November 2014, 23:23     #3592
crocos

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpx
I think I figured it out - it definitely lets less light in, so it could be an ND filter! And I need a 52mm lens to screw it into, which I don't have, however I'm guessing this is where I buy an adapter for my other lenses?
Yep indeed: That is a Cokin 'P' set-up (so the filters are approx 85mm wide) and for the lenses you just buy the different adapter rings (TradeMe is EZmode for this)

And yes that looks like a ND filter, a 3-stop one I think - should look (dark) grey when you hold it up against a white wall with a strong light on the wall - or just look black if it's a 10-stop ND (for those blurred motion long exposure shots, etc)

Last edited by crocos : 20th November 2014 at 23:25.
Old 21st November 2014, 16:10     #3593
Cyberbob

Anyone interested in purchasing a D700? Workmate's selling one.

No word on the age or shutter count yet.
Old 21st November 2014, 16:18     #3594
mpx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ab
Love the new pics mpx, you're improving at an awesome rate (don't take that as patronising, you really are) and without even being raped by lektronimo. Nice work.
Weird, I thought I quoted this in my previous post. Thanks! I didn't take it as patronising I find this is the one thread where people are critical with points on how to improve, which is awesome.

I need to find Cyberbob's coffee schedule, and paparazzi him.
Old 21st November 2014, 16:30     #3595
Cyberbob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyberbob
Anyone interested in purchasing a D700? Workmate's selling one.

No word on the age or shutter count yet.
Quote:
Bought end of 2008 as NZ new and has been regularly cleaned/serviced. Will also do so before selling. Shutter countÖ? Need to check.

At this stage, Iím not 100% sure, but think the battery grip will not be compatible with what Iím planning to get. Need to verify everything, but (potential) accessories:

- 2 additional batteries
- Mb-d10 battery grip
Buy it mpx.
Old 26th November 2014, 22:47     #3596
crocos

If anyone is interested in some quite interesting light modifiers for their flash, the MagMod system is definitely worth checking out.

Old 26th November 2014, 23:39     #3597
Cyberbob

Give me your orbis.
Old 26th November 2014, 23:49     #3598
crocos

Thou may NOT have my ringlight.

Especially now I've hacked it so it attaches to my MagMod grip

Old 27th November 2014, 15:30     #3599
smudge
Ich Bin Ein Grey Lynner

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpx
I'm finally home now and can google Cokin. I actually have something like that already!

So that circle thing fits into that square thing and that's as far as I've gotten. I don't know how it fits onto a lens, and I don't know exactly what the filter is. I'm thinking it might be a polarising filter, rather than an ND filter - obviously I've not had any chance to put it on the camera to figure it out.
crocos is on it, you'll need to get a step up ring from the filter thread of your lens (46mm?) to 52mm or 58mm I think. There was some step ups on it already. Pretty sure there was a 2 or 3 stop ND, a grad ND, and a CPL. All just cheap stuff bought off trademe. If you really want to stop time you should get a 10 stop ND, fun.
Old 28th November 2014, 00:38     #3600
mpx

Thanks Smudge! Definitely gonna get some adapters and a 10 stop ND filter :D

Bob: No thanks, I'm micro four thirds fanboy~ :P