Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Go Back   NZGames.com Forums > General > Open Discussion
User Name
Password

Old 9th November 2017, 22:53     #11401
Macca@Work

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage
That's another thing I'm happy for over here (Brisneyland); when it rains it's usually late(ish) at night, leaving plenty of time for rides. Rode down to Willowbank Raceway on Saturday arvo for some quarter mile runs, managed an 11.6 second pb on my Daytona. Gears well oiled
Nice
My cast comes off next week and my new bike comes up from dunners about the same time.
Old 15th November 2017, 13:52     #11402
chiQ
Frag-muff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macca@Work
Nice
My cast comes off next week and my new bike comes up from dunners about the same time.
iPhone8 is fabulous.
Old 15th November 2017, 15:23     #11403
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Right now in the House Bill English is asking questions of Kelvin Davis, Kelvin is responding entirely in Maori, and there are zero fucks being given by anyone.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qKtBkLz0bFI

Note: I live in a racist shithole and this sort of stuff makes me very proud
Old 16th November 2017, 11:24     #11404
crocos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ab
Right now in the House Bill English is asking questions of Kelvin Davis, Kelvin is responding entirely in Maori, and there are zero fucks being given by anyone.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qKtBkLz0bFI

Note: I live in a racist shithole and this sort of stuff makes me very proud
Ditto, so stolen-as-fuck for ${social_media}

وكل يوم كنت تعيش في العبودية
Old 13th February 2018, 18:19     #11405
MadMax
Stuff

Cranking old school Metallica
Cranking old school Metallica in the car with the volume just a little too loud
As above but while waiting for a gap in traffic
As above but someone stops in the traffic and fails to not block the entrance to the street and receives an ear full of my Metallica for the duration of the wait.
Old 13th February 2018, 19:20     #11406
[Malks] Pixie

Old 14th February 2018, 17:56     #11407
DrTiTus
HENCE WHY FOREVER ALONE

muh

My grandfather is sick - he's in his 80s, his mind is all there, but his body's packing up - he needs an oxygen mask to breathe properly, and his "ticker" has been giving him trouble for some time. He's in pain, but he distrusts pills, and doesn't want all the side effects that go with them. Fair enough. His body, his choice, I would have thought.

Someone, although I don't know who would do such a thing, made some brownies for him with greenery in them, as they had heard he had lost his appetite and had started to go downhill due to lack of nutrition.

He has become quite fond of these "cookies", despite being anti-drugs, and is able to enjoy hearty meals again and has much more vitality as a result. Sure they won't fix his heart, or his lungs, but they help him to want and enjoy food, take his mind off the pain, and not be miserable. As far as I know he hasn't killed anyone, or attempted to bed white women. Sadly, it's not always easy to source.

When there's a marijuana referendum, please don't be a moron. Support the relaxation of marijuana laws. When you're old and suffering - and let's face it, we're getting there - you might want some harmless relief too.
Old 27th February 2018, 19:52     #11408
crocos

Confirmed: I've gone for voluntary redundancy (slightly over 1 year's worth of pay!) and all three of my immediate line managers (including the CTO) and multiple contractors and project managers and other people around BNZ have offered to give me references without any prompting

Warm fuzzies to the people I know at BNZ, even if slightly "Et tu, Brute?" with the crazy-times that the company is going through right now.

Last edited by crocos : 27th February 2018 at 19:54.
Old 28th February 2018, 09:58     #11409
Cyberbob

Don't feel pressure to go for "just any job", given that you've got a bit of a golden parachute you can afford to take your time finding the right next step in your career.

Of course, the quicker you do find something, the more gold coins you can use to fill your swimming pool.
Old 9th March 2018, 15:45     #11410
crocos

I'll be using some of those gold coins to repair the giant hole in the bottom of my swimming pool first (and no, not talking about my mortgage).

But still: That, plus a short holiday and it'll still see me right for over 6 months

Old 14th March 2018, 13:23     #11411
crocos

This afternoon I've got an interview, with someone I already know, for a contract role that they approached me for, over a pint.

Old 14th March 2018, 13:31     #11412
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

I read on the internet that the chinese pictogram for "opportunity" is the same as the one for "over a pint"

Old 14th March 2018, 20:03     #11413
crocos

Fucking buzzing. Now I just need to not be a fuck-up. We talked on heaps of subjects from technologies to Japanese Archery and I've given him my details, he's going to send me a Master Contractor Agreement to sign.

I haven't even got a CV together yet, or updated LinkedIn (all of which I'll do of course). BNZ current last day is 29th March, they've asked if I can start on 26th, so first thing tomorrow (well, when my manager finally rolls in) I'm going to talk to my current boss about cutting my already foreshortened redundancy period down to end of next week... but even if I'm not available until the 3rd they're OK with that.

Old 15th March 2018, 02:45     #11414
Savage

Quote:
Originally Posted by crocos
Fucking buzzing. Now I just need to not be a fuck-up. We talked on heaps of subjects from technologies to Japanese Archery and I've given him my details, he's going to send me a Master Contractor Agreement to sign.

I haven't even got a CV together yet, or updated LinkedIn (all of which I'll do of course). BNZ current last day is 29th March, they've asked if I can start on 26th, so first thing tomorrow (well, when my manager finally rolls in) I'm going to talk to my current boss about cutting my already foreshortened redundancy period down to end of next week... but even if I'm not available until the 3rd they're OK with that.
... profit?
Old 16th March 2018, 10:40     #11415
crocos

Pretty much, yeah. However BNZ doesn't want to release me early

Still, should work out.

Old 19th March 2018, 11:18     #11416
[Malks] Pixie

Through the most labyrinthine connection of people and coincidence I've FINALLY got a solid offer of work - may not be consistent hours but billable rate is a literal order of magnitude larger than my last office based role which makes up for that. Just waiting for the bureaucracy to check all the details and send me details. This better not fall apart of I will actually go crazy.
Old 19th March 2018, 13:08     #11417
crocos

That's massive dude! Sounds like it could be a good lifestyle option too combining the higher rate with the limited hours.

Old 19th March 2018, 13:35     #11418
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Quote:
Originally Posted by [Malks] Pixie
Through the most labyrinthine connection of people and coincidence I've FINALLY got a solid offer of work - may not be consistent hours but billable rate is a literal order of magnitude larger than my last office based role which makes up for that. Just waiting for the bureaucracy to check all the details and send me details. This better not fall apart of I will actually go crazy.
Big up yourself! Nice work.
Old 19th March 2018, 14:10     #11419
[Malks] Pixie

Ta. Fingers crossed that it all works out.
Old 19th March 2018, 18:28     #11420
CCS
Stunt Pants

Devil grin

Quote:
Pretty much, yeah. However BNZ doesn't want to release me early

Really? That's a bit shit. If I was BNZ I'd be keen to get rid of you ASAP.
Old 19th March 2018, 19:05     #11421
crocos

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCS
Really? That's a bit shit. If I was BNZ I'd be keen to get rid of you ASAP.
Company is cool with it. Team Leader whom I expect is the one that put my role up as one to disestablish has finally realised how much knowledge I'll be walking out the door with and is panicking hard-core about it, trying to get as much hand-over as he can.

Last edited by crocos : 19th March 2018 at 19:07.
Old 19th March 2018, 19:46     #11422
CCS
Stunt Pants

Classic management. They should have realised that if there's anything a sperg has, it's lots of information. The smart thing would've been to phase you out gradually and extract the information as they go, rather than just canning you. I think you should be overly spergy in handing over.

We had a restructure last year. They got rid of some grumpy old guys who were earning a lot but also had a lot of institutional knowledge. Things have been... interesting since then. We've had to redefine expectations around what our department offers and what we're about. The company doesn't care as long as they save money. Ironically, they'll be poorer for it.
Old 19th March 2018, 20:25     #11423
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Quote:
Company is cool with it. Team Leader whom I expect is the one that put my role up as one to disestablish has finally realised how much knowledge I'll be walking out the door with and is panicking hard-core about it, trying to get as much hand-over as he can.
Not your fucking problem. If you're not on sick leave right now, UR DOING REDUNDANCY WRONG.
Old 20th March 2018, 14:35     #11424
blynk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ab
Not your fucking problem. If you're not on sick leave right now, UR DOING REDUNDANCY WRONG.
A few mental health days are in order because of the redundancy.
Old 20th March 2018, 17:56     #11425
Savage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ab
This x1000.

Garden leave is the ultimate goal tbh.
Old 21st March 2018, 08:39     #11426
pxpx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage
Garden[ing] leave is the ultimate goal tbh.
This x 10,000
Old 5th April 2018, 12:14     #11427
[Malks] Pixie

Quote:
So after much back and forth, and having to fend off a competing bid from an established consultancy I've got the paperwork in the mail. NDA'd out the ass (which is fine, and expected), a few tax issues to scope out (don't want to get caught short) but come mid-April I'll be an independent consultant. Triple figures per hour is well beyond my wildest dreams.
Old 9th April 2018, 15:10     #11428
Lightspeed

Thumbs up

Congrats bro, that's awesome.
Old 9th April 2018, 16:57     #11429
Nich

Autechre coming to Hobart for Dark Mofo! Yus
Old 10th April 2018, 12:41     #11430
Savage

Quote:
So after much back and forth, and having to fend off a competing bid from an established consultancy I've got the paperwork in the mail. NDA'd out the ass (which is fine, and expected), a few tax issues to scope out (don't want to get caught short) but come mid-April I'll be an independent consultant. Triple figures per hour is well beyond my wildest dreams.
Congrats mate, living the dream

Gears currently being oiled by small things in life, like aesthetic upgrades arriving for the new motorbike. New windshield, muffler, brake and clutch levers, upgraded air filter. Bike is stupid fast already so no power upgrades necessary. First quarter mile drag day coming up in a month's time and have goal times in mind Can't wait
Old 10th April 2018, 20:14     #11431
crocos

Booyah Pixie! Well done mate.

Old 11th April 2018, 00:51     #11432
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Nice work Pixie
Old 11th April 2018, 09:23     #11433
fixed_truth

Quote:
a few tax issues to scope out (don't want to get caught short)
Good one. There's a surprising amount of people starting out who put that off and it bites them in the ass later.
Old 11th April 2018, 20:17     #11434
crocos

Quote:
a few tax issues to scope out (don't want to get caught short)
If you're looking for a good accountant, I recommend Joseph Howell of Active Accountants - http://active2001.co.nz/
Based in Lower Hutt.

Old 11th April 2018, 20:44     #11435
[Malks] Pixie

Thanks for the kind words folks - and the recommendation of an accountant Croc! I took the time to speak to some old friends who do/did consultancy and that was the biggest thing they all recommended, getting ahead of the tax. Hoping to nail this first contract so I can pitch other organisations involved in these types of processes (uni's, CRI's, private research groups / business).

In other news we also (finally) managed to secure a new rental property, shifting in 3 days before our 13 year tenancy on our current places runs out. Has insulation, heat pump and is cat friendly - needs a fresh lick of paint but we have a professional painter in the family and property manager / owner are happy for us to do that (they're paying for the paint).
Old 11th April 2018, 22:56     #11436
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Fuck dude, buy a lotto ticket!
Old 11th April 2018, 23:11     #11437
CCS
Stunt Pants

Everything's coming up Pixie!
Old 11th April 2018, 23:16     #11438
[Malks] Pixie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ab
Fuck dude, buy a lotto ticket!
Yeah am seriously considering doing so.
Old 27th April 2018, 08:11     #11439
xor

Paradigm shift in career. Finishing up at my current job as an infrastructure engineer and moving into a new organisation and career as a security engineer. I saw the writing on the wall for corp IT about 5 years ago and have spent the last 4 years formalizing my skill set in preparation for this and am very excited.

Very glad to get out of infrastructure. No matter how technical the project was that i was working on I'd still receive calls of 'hey guy, how to change password on phone?' or 'can you help me create a pivot table?'

That and a nice bump in salary, which I'll need as wife is preggers with number 3
Old 27th April 2018, 11:24     #11440
Savage

Quote:
Originally Posted by xor
Paradigm shift in career. Finishing up at my current job as an infrastructure engineer and moving into a new organisation and career as a security engineer. I saw the writing on the wall for corp IT about 5 years ago and have spent the last 4 years formalizing my skill set in preparation for this and am very excited.

Very glad to get out of infrastructure. No matter how technical the project was that i was working on I'd still receive calls of 'hey guy, how to change password on phone?' or 'can you help me create a pivot table?'

That and a nice bump in salary, which I'll need as wife is preggers with number 3

Couldn't happen to a nicer bloke Congrats to you and Mrs Xor on your third, bromigo!