User Name
Password

Old 21st June 2023, 23:53     #1441
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Morgan Godfery nails it:

https://twitter.com/MorganGodfery/st...643801602?s=20

Quote:

The current government is passively presiding over the collapse of tertiary and vocational education, the slow degradation of primary and secondary education, and most alarmingly of all: the decline in health services and quality. See: the brutal rolling cuts to Dunedin hospital
Old 22nd June 2023, 15:08     #1442
Lightspeed

Kinda misses that the political forces that would actively preside over such collapse are make a pretty good show of dog whistling their way to power right now.
Old 23rd June 2023, 06:56     #1443
StN
I have detailed files

My GP is no doubt typical of those in the field.

"You've got insurance, right?"

"Yep..."

"For imaging? Ok, I'll refer you to these guys, that will expedite your diagnosis and treatment - the public system is so broken."

Said through the muffling over an N95 mask, wary of catching it for the 5th time - he did a phone consult for my son, because tickly throat.

Another chap at the pub was told he needed endoscope work to ascertain why he has excessive bleeding - might be lucky for a 6-week waiting list. Paid $3k to get it done private now.

Obviously these are examples of a privileged position - I don't know how elderly or even joe average can have any faith in being treated in a reasonably prompt manner. Prioritising oncology surgery is probably horrendous at the best of times, but some doctors are being made to make really nasty decisions now - and that will no doubt have a flow on effect in the mental health of those we need the most.
Old 28th June 2023, 23:18     #1444
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Kiri Allan gone. Hipkins seems to be losing Ministers at an alarming rate.
Old 5th July 2023, 12:52     #1445
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/teache...DSDXEJIGUKVCA/
Old 6th July 2023, 06:55     #1446
StN
I have detailed files

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herald
The so-called “fast draft” said science would be taught through four contexts - the Earth system, biodiversity, food, energy and water, and infectious diseases.
Perhaps a focus on Maths too?
Old 6th July 2023, 12:10     #1447
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Electrolytes.
Old 6th July 2023, 14:13     #1448
Lightspeed

Looking after our kids in NZ is obviously a nice-to-have. We've probably been indulging them too much really.

I'm really looking forward to National getting re-elected and nipping all that in the bud.
Old 6th July 2023, 15:01     #1449
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

A country that designs a science curriculum for its children that doesn't include physics, chemistry, or biology is a country that doesn't have a future.
Old 6th July 2023, 15:06     #1450
Lightspeed

o_O

Yesterday was the 3rd consecutive day that the world broke the average temperature record.

Tell me more of this "future" you've heard of?
Old 6th July 2023, 16:12     #1451
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Fortunately dealing with this situation is improved by having an entire generation ignorant of physics, chemistry, and biology.
Old 6th July 2023, 16:17     #1452
Lightspeed

Sure, but why would we change course now? We opted to plunge in headlong.

And think of all these smartypants kids coming up, telling us how badly we fucked up. Suggesting maybe power and influence are in the wrong hands.

No. Thank. You. I won't have MY betters be challenged like that!
Old 6th July 2023, 18:30     #1453
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Yeah, but as the climate wars progress I reckon it'll be better to be in one of the sciencey-realityish countries than in one of the superstitiony-horoscopey countries.
Old 6th July 2023, 20:28     #1454
crusador

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ab
A country that designs a science curriculum for its children that doesn't include physics, chemistry, or biology is a country that doesn't have a future.
The amount of seemingly basic content i'm going to have to take upon myself to educate my kids is growing and growing it seems :/
Old 6th July 2023, 20:50     #1455
Lightspeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ab
Yeah, but as the climate wars progress I reckon it'll be better to be in one of the sciencey-realityish countries than in one of the superstitiony-horoscopey countries.
I wonder how we make that choice.
Old 6th July 2023, 23:00     #1456
fixed_truth

It all looks like the usual knee-jerk reaction to me. A fast draft released to a few teachers for feedback that was leaked to media but we can't read.The curriculum developer coming out and clarifying that the usual science subjects will still be taught, just in a way more integrated with each other.
Old 7th July 2023, 13:18     #1457
Lightspeed

It's most definitely a case of turds and jizz.
Old 12th July 2023, 15:00     #1458
Lightspeed

facepalm

Hipkins allaying fears in the face of poll slumps:

Don't worry! The rich can still keep getting richer!
Old 13th July 2023, 08:51     #1459
blynk

The problem with Labour (or any central party).
They get so worried about those middle ground people that they get too scared to do shit that should be done/has long term benefits.

Especially if it relates to housing.
Old 13th July 2023, 11:08     #1460
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

The concluding lines of the previous two posts are identical.
Old 13th July 2023, 12:13     #1461
xor

Largest net migration loss to Australia since 2013 as Kiwis pursue higher wages..

I agree, the govt should tax more from the taxpayers.

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/larges...PDEXRSZORZSFM/
Old 13th July 2023, 12:14     #1462
_indigo1

Quote:
Originally Posted by blynk
they get too scared to do shit that should be done/has long term benefits.
This ... is representative capitalist democracy in general....
Old 19th July 2023, 18:14     #1463
Lightspeed

Watch: Government's knee-jerk reaction to populist baiting
Old 19th July 2023, 20:01     #1464
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Gotta distract people from the (checks notes) inflation, housing affordability, school attendance, education performance, hospital waiting lists...
Old 20th July 2023, 15:49     #1465
Lightspeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightspeed
You'd hope so. The long anticipated wave of shit and misery is here, peaked by a fucking pandemic. Labour is going to need someone who is sharp on their feet if they're going to come out clean.

Well, really, they should anticipate getting fucked, TBH. There should be a cold sweat going around those halls.
I can totally see why Ardern dipped out. If I were in her shoes and still PM I would have thrown up upon the news there's a shooter in Auckland.

Luxon must be giddy.
Old 24th July 2023, 09:01     #1466
StN
I have detailed files

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightspeed
Luxon must be giddy.
I'd say visibly turgid.

<waits for Ab to get up - grabs popcorn>

And she had so much going for her when she fronted the Tsunami last year as Civil Defence minister.

Old 24th July 2023, 10:19     #1467
StN
I have detailed files

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiri
“My actions yesterday show I wasn’t okay, and I’ve let myself and my colleagues down,” Allan said.
From the looks of the picture, she let the utes tyre down too...
Old 24th July 2023, 10:49     #1468
xor

Kiri Allan should've read MadMax's thread about drink driving, hey.
Old 24th July 2023, 11:55     #1469
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Allan has always been unstable. Her personal life is a soap opera full of turbulent lesbian partnerships and nuclear breakups. She’s smart but has been promoted beyond her experience and abilities too many times because female and gay and brown. She was utterly unqualified to be Minister of Justice. Add in the pressure of a (alleged?) cancer diagnosis, inability to retain staff because of her temperament, her latest relationship breakdown, and the Wellington goldfish bowl atmosphere and she was a disaster waiting to happen.

East Coast would have been better served if its electors had chosen National’s Tania Tapsell instead, but they didn’t.

Look on the bright side for Labour; this car crash has knocked last Friday’s train wreck off the front pages.
Old 24th July 2023, 16:53     #1470
Lightspeed

I'm not sure anyone who isn't a cynical cunt survives that position. Like really, I think you have to have a strong indifference to a good chunk of humanity to be able to effectively function at the top of... all that.

Much better if the public allowed government to implement any kind of meaningful reform. But we keep dithering in the middle. Those riding the gravy train and those hoping to are too powerful a bloc, too unwilling to put the status quo at risk.

So whoever has the job has to be ice cold in the face of all that chaos and need. Anyone else I'd expect to melt.
Old 25th July 2023, 11:28     #1471
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Bryce Edwards: everyone knew this was coming

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/politi...PRIOIIZTHIOSQ/
Old 25th July 2023, 13:07     #1472
xor

compassion and concern for a person charged with drink driving and resisting arrest. What a circus NZ is
Old 25th July 2023, 14:41     #1473
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

See: female and gay and brown. There is no creature in NZ left politics better insulated from negative consequences than a "Rainbow Labour" MP and former Helen Clark staffer. Even to this day.
Old 25th July 2023, 14:45     #1474
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Jesus christ, check out this narcissistic me me me fest of a resignation letter, posted to Instagram of course:

https://www.instagram.com/p/CvGZp0jP...f-e766e85ea8db

Summary: it's all about me, I have let myself down, the only thing I did wrong was trying too hard to be the awesomest me I can be.
Old 25th July 2023, 14:55     #1475
StN
I have detailed files

And still no mention of that poor utes tyre that got let down...
Old 25th July 2023, 14:59     #1476
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

YUO=LAME

YES STOOLIE WE GOT IT THE FIRST TIME
Old 25th July 2023, 17:21     #1477
fixed_truth

Quote:
Originally Posted by xor
compassion and concern for a person charged with drink driving and resisting arrest. What a circus NZ is
To be picky she wasn't charged with drink driving
Old 26th July 2023, 10:33     #1478
xor

Quote:
Originally Posted by fixed_truth
To be picky she wasn't charged with drink driving
All good, it was probably my fault that she resisted arrest.

https://www.1news.co.nz/2023/07/25/w...lture-support/
Old 26th July 2023, 15:19     #1479
fixed_truth

Yeah, definitely nothing to do with you, or society, or how people with mental health issues are supported in NZ. It's all their fault. #everydayeurocentrism
Old 27th July 2023, 09:47     #1480
xor

Aaaah 'them'.