Go Back   NZGames.com Forums > General > Open Discussion
User Name
Password

Old 1st April 2019, 12:20     #121
Nich

999 call handlers told to stop calling people 'Sir' and 'Madam'
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/201...ple-sir-madam/

Quote:
Jules Lockett, the head of emergency operations centre training at London Ambulance Service, and joint head of its LGBT network, told the conference that call handling staff were being "steered away" from referring to people by Mr or Mrs.

She said using phrases like Sir or Madam was "old fashioned customer service" and the service was now looking how to change that and "give some different words to use".

Instead it is thought names would be used where appropriate in order to avoid any confusion.
According to the Gender Identification Research & Education Society (GIRES), the misgendering of a person can cause embarrassment for both parties so it is important that call handlers have guidance.
They advise call handlers to ask someone how they wish to be addressed if they are in any doubt, but acknowledge that "in emergency situations, there isn’t always time for such niceties".

Just a guess, but I reckon even the most sensitive transgender person calling 999 doesn't give a fuck what the operator calls them as long as help is on the way. Furthermore, I wonder if the majority of transgender people give a fuck about pronouns at all, emergency or no.
Old 1st April 2019, 12:31     #122
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

^^ literally worse than Hitler
Old 1st April 2019, 13:33     #123
CCS
Stunt Pants

∆∆ That's rich, coming from Hitler himself
Old 1st April 2019, 14:13     #124
Nich

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nich
If you keep your sexual preferences private ... well you get this...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8cuMcPN6eUg

... and this
Wish President Clinton a Happy 68th Birthday
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W7pmnIitgeI

and the comment "The oddest thing is to conclude that Kevin playing Frank who plays Bill is more credible that Hillary trying to play herself."

... also odd that Clinton foundation still has this video up.

Last edited by Nich : 1st April 2019 at 14:15.
Old 4th April 2019, 11:42     #125
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Looks like the snowflakes have taken over Cambridge as well:

https://quillette.com/2019/04/03/cam...rdan-peterson/

CAMBRIDGE.
Old 4th April 2019, 13:20     #126
Nich

^^

see also:

How Cambridge flunked the Peterson test
The University's shabby treatment of the psychology professor smacks of intellectual cowardice
https://unherd.com/2019/03/how-cambr...peterson-test/

Steve Jobs was right when he said during his commencement address "Fuck universities, and fuck your degree."
Old 4th April 2019, 19:03     #127
fixed_truth

Ironically the best thing to counter his sermons is to shine a light on them.
Old 4th April 2019, 21:56     #128
Deadmeat

Laugh

Quote:
To remove his books from sale in the hope of reducing such violence, as a bookseller in New Zealand recently did, is also dangerous—equivalent to denying sick people access to the very antibodies that can heal their disease.
That article took a lot of words to say HoW dArE yOu SiR?!
Old 8th April 2019, 19:44     #129
Lightspeed

https://twitter.com/GilletteVenus/st...65570354409473
Old 8th April 2019, 19:57     #130
CCS
Stunt Pants

Good christ. It's going to take at least a week before I can get an erection again after seeing that.

Still tho...

Then don't look at it.
Old 29th April 2019, 17:21     #131
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

I'm confused

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-04-...money/11053280
Old 5th June 2019, 21:08     #132
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Old gay drag queens are the enemy, stay woke everyone

https://quillette.com/2019/06/01/wat...acebook-video/
Old 5th June 2019, 21:35     #133
Nich

Thanks, I would not have received the memo otherwise. Helped me dodge a bullet there!
Old 29th June 2019, 23:00     #134
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

‘You can’t win without gay players,’ says USA’s World Cup hero Megan Rapinoe

Quote:
“You can’t win a championship without gays on your team - it’s never been done before, ever. That’s science, right there!"
Old 2nd August 2019, 12:45     #135
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Quote:
Originally Posted by fixed_truth
Gillette ad that's triggering a few people
Well that seems to have worked out well for them

Proctor and Gamble takes 8-billon-dollar write-down in value of Gillette business

I guess insulting the shit out of your target customers isn't a great strategy or something.
Old 2nd August 2019, 16:41     #136
fixed_truth

I think their share of the market has been declining for a while. But yeah, people are easily offended these days.
Old 3rd August 2019, 18:10     #137
crocos

Dumb thing is the blindingly obvious intent of the ad wasn't to insult, but to challenge men to step up and take accountability for their own actions. From my own experiences I can see that wasn't going to work, too many take the easy way and as f_t said, take offense.

وكل يوم كنت تعيش في العبودية
Old 5th August 2019, 14:20     #138
Nich

A triple capitulation to the LGBTQ taliban:
- A public apology for Gillette's role in creating the toxic masculinity that plagues planet earth
- A public disavowal of their target customer
- Gillette now chooses to associate their brand with beta males harrassing women and no one is enjoying themselves, rather than badass squarejaw fighter pilots who don't give beardrash to their hot girlfriends

Even after the mea culpa, Gillette will always be an infidel in the eyes of the Facebook status terrorists. The more Gillette asks "How can we make it all better?!" the more demands will be invented and expected of them.

Some chose to be offended. Those who weren't offended found the whole thing to be supremely unappealing and unsexy.

Bring back the fighter pilots and show me some 3D animations of hairs getting sliced by blades.
Old 5th August 2019, 17:40     #139
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

We must stay vigilant, there are transphobes and TERFs everywhere

https://www.newshub.co.nz/home/shows...cis-women.html
Old 12th August 2019, 11:48     #140
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

I’m sure this will be entirely uncontroversial

https://slate.com/news-and-politics/...imination.html
Old 14th August 2019, 08:16     #141
fixed_truth

University chief bans all beef from campus in fight against 'climate change emergency'
Quote:
The beef ban is the first announcement she has made since taking over as the head of the university earlier this month.
Prof Corner, who used to be head of the London College of Fashion, has championed ethical designs and describes herself as a “fashion activist”.
Quote:
Earlier this year, an Oxford college president demanded that octopus is removed from the menu as part of a drive to make disadvantaged students feel more “comfortable”.
Old 19th August 2019, 16:40     #142
fixed_truth

Snowflake conservatives getting offended
Old 19th August 2019, 17:36     #143
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Seriously?
Old 19th August 2019, 21:43     #144
fixed_truth

Yeah on social media & radio plenty of Israel Falau comparisons and what if it said something supporting Fletchers type thing.
Old 19th August 2019, 21:52     #145
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Quote:
Yeah on social media & radio
Nuff said
Old 27th August 2019, 19:42     #146
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ab
Amusing counterpoint

https://www.runnersworld.com/news/a2...rance-run-50k/
Old 27th August 2019, 23:09     #147
CCS
Stunt Pants

^

Quote:
When Ellie Pell took first overall, the surprised race organizers realized they had no trophy for the first place male.

Oh fuck right off. First place male is just fucken 2nd place overall. Men don't need a special trophy. If I was the male that came 2nd overall in that event then I'd want a 2nd place award. Not a fucken tokenistic Aww But You're The First Male And Mum Still Thinks You're Special Award.

Fucks sake

We need a 'choke yourself' emoji.
Old 16th September 2019, 21:35     #148
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Richard Stallman just got cancelled

https://www.thedailybeast.com/famed-...tirely-willing
Old 17th September 2019, 03:17     #149
Lightspeed

So he worked in MIT's AI lab? It's a good Bond villain backstory. Genius shunned by the community. Maybe he builds an AI to extract revenge on a backward society?
Old 17th September 2019, 15:18     #150
fixed_truth

What's the PC gone made part? He seems to have some pretty dodgy opinions.
Old 17th September 2019, 15:51     #151
Lightspeed

His attunement was off. You can't only be hyper-accurate at some things. You also need to be accurate-enough about everything else. Or your shit is liable to get fucked up.
Old 17th September 2019, 18:56     #152
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Quote:
What's the PC gone made part? He seems to have some pretty dodgy opinions.
Which is the point of this thread. In the modern era the sorts of opinions you have can end your professional life.
Old 17th September 2019, 19:50     #153
DrTiTus
HENCE WHY FOREVER ALONE

And he just resigned from MIT and FSF.
Old 17th September 2019, 19:56     #154
fixed_truth

Is it an overreaction for his organisation to push him out though? I'm surprised he's lasted so long saying things like
Quote:
“There is little evidence to justify the widespread assumption that willing participation in pedophilia hurts children.”
Old 17th September 2019, 21:09     #155
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Now read that quote (and all others by rms) assuming that the author is autistic and that every word in it has a very very strict definition that may be different from the one you assume to be the case.
Old 17th September 2019, 21:14     #156
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Another postcard from spergville: rms seems to have regarded time spent travelling to a residence as wasted time that could otherwise be spent coding, so he slept on a mattress in his office at MIT, which was his legal address.

According to his SJW accuser the presence of said mattress is evidence that rms is a sexual predator.

Quote:
He literally used to have a mattress on the floor of his office. He kept the door to his office open, to proudly showcase that mattress and all the implications that went with it.
Or he’s a nerd with no social skills who literally lives in his office. Oh noes, burn him.
Old 18th September 2019, 00:02     #157
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Here's the absolute bestest argument for why Stallman should be unpersoned: he was violent towards students at MIT.

"Huh? In what way?"

When analysing the words 'sexual assault' with reference to one of Epstein's victims, Stallman said ""we can imagine many scenarios" including one in which the girl was coerced into faking consent.

Twitter mob reaction:
Quote:
@hashoctothorpe
"we can imagine many scenarios": reduces everything happening to a thought exercise

Reducing this all to a thought exercise in front of people who are directly and indirectly the targets of sex trafficking (who have experienced it, know people who have, or who are or have been the sought-after demographic for it) is violence and erasure.
See? by referring to a thought exercise, in an email that could be read by women, Stallman did violence to those women. Therefore he's fired.
Old 18th September 2019, 08:23     #158
fixed_truth

It does look like what he said was mischaracterised as he was talking in context of Minsky’s perspective of the situation. Minsky may have thought that the girl was older, and she may have presented as willing. In saying that his speculation here that this is “the most plausible scenario” does seem baseless. Also, he wasn’t expressing his opinion privately. He used a public mailing list to comment on a subject outside his sphere of expertise, knowing it was going to cause controversy (i.e regarding a 17yr old girl allegedly trafficked to an island to have sex with old men).

Surely there must be a threshold where an organisation can get rid of you if what you say publicly greatly harms their reputation by association? But what if that great harm is stirred up by a vocal minority? I do wonder if this would have escalated as much if Stallman didn’t have a history of defending paedophilia.
Old 18th September 2019, 10:04     #159
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Quote:
He used a public mailing list to comment on a subject outside his sphere of expertise, knowing it was going to cause controversy
I think you're wrong on each of the three of the claims you make here (bolded).

1. It was a private mailing list for the MIT Computer Science and Artificial Intelligence Laboratory.

2. It was exactly his sphere of expertise - he was lecturing people about the meanings of words. That's what he does. You know the phrase "Free as in speech, not free as in beer"? That's literally a quote from Richard Stallman. Stallman saw an announcement of a campus protest event and started breaking down what the words in the text of the announcement meant and implied; he wasn't disagreeing with the validity of the protest or the issue being protested. Check the first lines of the email that has ended his life:
Quote:
The announcement of the Friday event does an injustice to Marvin
Minsky:

“deceased AI ‘pioneer’ Marvin Minsky (who is accused of assaulting
one of Epstein’s victims”

The injustice is in the word “assaulting”. The term “sexual assault”
is so vague and slippery that it facilitates accusation inflation:
taking claims that someone did X and leading people to think of it as
Y, which is much worse than X.
He's talking about the words of the announcement, not about the event or the people or the things they did. He's giving a lecture to the readers on how language works.

3. He's a sperg with no social skills who neither knows nor understands how people are going to react to anything. This is a guy who while delivering a lecture to a hall full of people, in front of cameras, took off his footwear and started peeling loose skin off his toes and eating it while answering questions from the audience. It never entered his head that people might react in any sort of way because he's a fucking autistic mutant and his brain doesn't work like that and everyone who has ever met him knows that.

Quote:
I do wonder if this would have escalated as much if Stallman didn’t have a history of defending paedophilia
(Real world) True, but (ideal world) who the fuck cares? Stallman doesn't have a history of defending paedophlia, he has a history of not instinctively rejecting it without qualification. I've sat in expensive university courses* and bounced around exactly the same ideas that Stallman is being unpersoned for. What is paedophilia? Is it psychological attraction to child bodies, or a legal definition based on statute? Ages of consent are arbitrary and differ from place to place for no reason! issues like agency and harm and consent and personhood are all relevant (which is worse: healthy caring relationship with an emotionally stable and mature consenting 15-year-old, or abusive relationship with a mentally deficient immature 18-year old?)! What if a sex partner is a mature adult with a growth disorder and presents as pre-pubescent - is that paedophilia? Grownups can have these discussions without having their professional lives ended.

* lol if any of those philosophy lecturers are still on staff at the University of Waikato they must be shitting themselves
Old 18th September 2019, 10:19     #160
Cyberbob

For a glimpse at what Richard Stallman would absolutely be like to deal with, please see: Sheldon goes to the Human Resources Department