Old 15th August 2013, 14:53     #1
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Key on Campbell Live re GCSB Bill

Full video:

http://www.3news.co.nz/John-Key-defe...8/Default.aspx
Old 15th August 2013, 15:55     #2
spigalau

summed up in 1 image... john campbell....

Old 15th August 2013, 16:06     #3
Lightspeed

:/

I liked Cambell's last report on the issue. Not keen to see this interview though, sounds like an over 9000 cringe factor.
Old 15th August 2013, 16:08     #4
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Jesus, that was brutal. I find Campbell quite entertaining in an endearing sort of way but he was fucking roadkill there.
Old 15th August 2013, 20:51     #5
xor

Key was smiling as if to say 'I have you by the balls you fucking idiot'
Old 15th August 2013, 21:59     #6
[Malks] Pixie

Yep - Key knew the format backwards, knew exactly how long he needed to spend on each answer, didn't let Campbell shift to other points at the usual time marks. Campbell Live may have managed to set the agenda (in terms of setting the topic through the previous shows) but Key managed to defuse all of that through answering a few questions very slowly.

Pixie
Old 16th August 2013, 00:01     #7
TD
Anas Latrina

The whole GCSB roadtrip thing they are doing is pretty silly. It is pretty much 10 minutes of this every night:

Reporter: "Do you think the bill is being pushed through too quickly? Yeah?"
Random person: "Uh, yeah"
Reporter: "Yeah" *nods*

*END SCENE*
Old 16th August 2013, 01:43     #8
p01s0n

"let me come back to that"
"we'll come back to that in a second"
"let me explain this first, it's very important, we'll get to that soon"

so fucking pro
Old 16th August 2013, 01:57     #9
fidgit
Always itchy

Haha. Key *will not let this bill fail*. It's very simple. He cannot afford to let this bill fail, or the spying on Kimble stays illegal, evidence gathered stays illegal, and he can't extradite him like he's been told to by the big kids he wants to look cool in front of.

Really the only surprising part is everyone in the media seems to have forgotten this was the point of the legislation (although, with juicy stories to follow like a reporter being spied on [for being given early access to a report about why the GCSB needed those laws changed... but ignore that bit] you can see why they dropped the original story).

Even the snapper comment was excellent. It reminded your Average Kiwi Voter that actually they don't really care about the GCSB law being changed because Uncle John wouldn't use it for anything bad right? But damnit, I can't catch as many snapper as I used to? FUCK!
Old 16th August 2013, 09:23     #10
pxpx

fidgit doing his best to sound like chubby
Old 16th August 2013, 09:28     #11
leadinjector

love how john lost his shit at the 11 minute mark. the look on keys face when campbell realised he was fucked was priceless.

im sure that campbell used to make good arguements but for the last couple of years his show has gone to shit. "human interest" bollocks. would be nice if we had a proper investigative journalism show without an agenda.
Old 16th August 2013, 09:57     #12
IoriDyson

^yeah this.
Old 16th August 2013, 10:02     #13
Golden Teapot
Love, Actuary

This just reminds me of why I don't have boradcast TV.
Old 16th August 2013, 10:13     #14
ZoSo

Quote:
Originally Posted by leadinjector
im sure that campbell used to make good arguements but for the last couple of years his show has gone to shit. "human interest" bollocks. would be nice if we had a proper investigative journalism show without an agenda.
Wouldn't matter. Apparently Campbell's producer claims it's 'their' story.
Old 16th August 2013, 10:16     #15
Lightspeed

Quote:
Pretty much.
Old 16th August 2013, 10:17     #16
ZoSo

Old 16th August 2013, 13:00     #17
[Malks] Pixie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TD
The whole GCSB roadtrip thing they are doing is pretty silly. It is pretty much 10 minutes of this every night.
Quote:
...would be nice if we had a proper investigative journalism show without an agenda.
Yeah it's called agenda setting and it's been a primary mode of news production for more than a century - what do you think Watergate (often held up as the primary example of investigative journalism) was if not setting the agenda for political discussion (and the repercussions which followed).

Campbell may have failed in the interview, but the show was a success in terms of actually getting Key in front of the camera (up until now he had pretty much refused to appear on the show) and defining the topic which was going to be talked about - it just happens that Key used the format to his advantage and didn't let Campbell define the terms of the discussion.

Pixie
Old 16th August 2013, 13:11     #18
p01s0n

cambers on that them there botox time?
Old 16th August 2013, 13:17     #19
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Quote:
Originally Posted by fidgit
Haha. Key *will not let this bill fail*. It's very simple. He cannot afford to let this bill fail, or the spying on Kimble stays illegal, evidence gathered stays illegal, and he can't extradite him like he's been told to by the big kids he wants to look cool in front of.

Really the only surprising part is everyone in the media seems to have forgotten this was the point of the legislation (although, with juicy stories to follow like a reporter being spied on [for being given early access to a report about why the GCSB needed those laws changed... but ignore that bit] you can see why they dropped the original story).

Even the snapper comment was excellent. It reminded your Average Kiwi Voter that actually they don't really care about the GCSB law being changed because Uncle John wouldn't use it for anything bad right? But damnit, I can't catch as many snapper as I used to? FUCK!
If only there was another group of politicians ideologically opposed to all of thus who could make such points and motivate the public in opposition to such legislation. Hey, "Opposition" - that has a nice ring to it. That's what we could call those politicians. If we had them I mean.
Old 16th August 2013, 13:19     #20
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Quote:
Originally Posted by [Malks] Pixie
Campbell may have failed in the interview, but the show was a success in terms of actually getting Key in front of the camera
Wow, the bar of success is set pretty low.
Old 16th August 2013, 13:37     #21
[Malks] Pixie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ab
Wow, the bar of success is set pretty low.
Agreed - and the only success of the show was actually getting him to turn up and talk about a predefined topic (of which I imagine the questions that Campbell was going to ask were probably pre-vetted by Key officials).

However should it really be that difficult to get our PM in front of the camera on our only prime-time (pseudo)current affairs show (I don't count 7Sharp)? I mean the lengths that they've had to go to actually get him to front - as TD said they've had to devote 10+ minutes to each one of their shows for how long to actually get the the topic on the table.

Somewhat of a pyrrhic victory (and that my be a gross understatement).

Pixie
Old 16th August 2013, 14:37     #22
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

The thing that amazes me the most is that Key's opponents always assume that he's thick. Year after year, interview after interview, debate after debate, he wipes the floor with the person he goes up against and it's like they never saw it coming. It's as if his opponents just decided upon first seeing him that he's a smiling gormless puppet who has just stumbled into success like some sort of fucking Forrest Gump and they have steadfastly refused to revise that opinion.

Then they trot out some butthurt excuse like "oh, he only looked good because he's had MEDIA TRAINING." What the fuck? We're not playing tiddlywinks here Andre.

When Key buttfucked Michael Cullen, it was just because of media training.

When Key buttfucked Helen Clark, it was just because of media training.

When Key buttfucked Phil Goff, it was just because of media training.

When Key buttfucked John Campbell, it was just because of media training.

Key’s opponents should either

a) get some media training, because that shit obviously works; or

b) wake up to the fact that the buttfuckery they’re getting from Key isn't just because of media training.
Old 16th August 2013, 14:49     #23
Juju
get to da choppa

Quote:
Originally Posted by fidgit
So tell me more about how this amendment to the bill will retrospectivly exhonerate the GCSB's illegal activities around Kim Dotcom. I'm alllllllllll ears.
Old 16th August 2013, 15:20     #24
leadinjector

Quote:
Originally Posted by [Malks] Pixie
Agreed - and the only success of the show was actually getting him to turn up and talk about a predefined topic (of which I imagine the questions that Campbell was going to ask were probably pre-vetted by Key officials).

However should it really be that difficult to get our PM in front of the camera on our only prime-time (pseudo)current affairs show (I don't count 7Sharp)? I mean the lengths that they've had to go to actually get him to front - as TD said they've had to devote 10+ minutes to each one of their shows for how long to actually get the the topic on the table.

Somewhat of a pyrrhic victory (and that my be a gross understatement).

Pixie
campbell live is shit though. i mean i can see them getting the PM on a show that has some kind of integrity but CL as for some time now been about john campbell "investigating" bullshit stories to try and get a rise from the unwashed masses. its the kind of show that i can imagine most politicans wouldnt want to touch with a bargepole, and JC's horrible interviewing technique makes for painful viewing for everyone. Close up and holmes had their issues but at least they pretended to care about both sides of an arguement. fuck knows why they ditched such shows for 7 sharp and a halving of their ratings.
Old 16th August 2013, 15:34     #25
pxpx

Close up was terrible because Sainsbury was a bumbling fool who was worse than Campbell at interviewing.

If Mike Hoskings got a haircut, or Paul Henry managed to keep his feet out of his mouth for more than a week, maybe TVNZ would have paid either of them enough to keep Close Up from sinking, and we wouldnt have to deal with the current drivel like 7sharp and 3rd degree. There are no credible personalities out there.
Old 16th August 2013, 17:16     #26
fixed_truth

Good take on it all from Russell Brown
Quote:
What happened was a study in media training. Key never let his interviewer settle into a question line. He rattled out well-briefed points – some of them solid answers, others more in the nature of assertions – and insisted (“we’ll get back to that”, “let me finish my last point”) on finishing them even after Campbell had asked another question. Follow-up questions simply got lost as he moved on. He bridged expertly back to his talking points.
Quote:
To technically minded viewers, that analogy sounded risible. It might as well have been written in Comic Sans. But it was a very direct way past having to engage with the Law Society’s nuanced qualms about the scope of the law.
Quote:
It is a competency that Key’s chief political opponent, the Leader of the Opposition, seems to almost entirely lack. David Shearer has access to much the same kind of coaching as John Key, but even in an interview where he is under no pressure he will stumble and lose his train of thought. It’s hard to see how he wouldn’t be destroyed by Key in a one-on-one debate.
Old 16th August 2013, 21:41     #27
Lightspeed

Key is quite brilliant really. But that's not news by a long shot. When he was making millions on currency speculation or whatever money system it was he was wrangling, that's when it was news.

I think GCSB is complete bollocks, dangerous and against the values of NZers. But I suspect we'll get by and eventually get a government more sensitive to these values who hopefully will tidy things up, much like Aunty Helen did when she came in.
Old 16th August 2013, 21:44     #28
Lightspeed

I suppose Key has sat at the table with the big boys and girls too, you know, folk with real power. JC and mere kiwis wouldn't phase him at all.
Old 16th August 2013, 22:25     #29
Juice

Key isn't desperate to be PM, he's not in it for the power, he's an ordinary bloke who happens to be very smart and capable. He doesn't seem to have to try very hard and that's what shits a lot of people. How hard can it be to make missions speculating on currency eh?

Personally I think he's a bit soft, but Campbell is just an internet conspiracy made for prime time while the actual opposition flounder amongst themselves.

Have you heard much of Joyce sparring with facts or off the cuff? Simon Power heir apparent got out of the game but they still have enough guns to see off the rest while coasting through...
Old 17th August 2013, 00:30     #30
fidgit
Always itchy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juju
So tell me more about how this amendment to the bill will retrospectivly exhonerate the GCSB's illegal activities around Kim Dotcom. I'm alllllllllll ears.
Are you unfamiliar with the idea that laws can be applied retroactively?
Are you also unfamiliar with the fact that this was already done for the SIS by the Labour Government?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ab
If only there was another group of politicians ideologically opposed to all of thus who could make such points and motivate the public in opposition to such legislation. Hey, "Opposition" - that has a nice ring to it. That's what we could call those politicians. If we had them I mean.
There doesn't need to be another group - there already is. They're *1* vote short of blocking the law change.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pxpx
fidgit doing his best to sound like chubby
The difference there is, that guy can keep this up. Also he's possibly an actual conspiracy theorist. My post is a recap of events, with out any interpretation or bias (except the bit about JK's motivations)
Old 17th August 2013, 07:27     #31
Golden Teapot
Love, Actuary

Without bias?
Old 17th August 2013, 12:53     #32
ZoSo

Brian Edwards
Quote:
For an entirely different view of the interview, you should look at Russell Brown’s Fluency, ease of manner – and Norton Antivirus on Public Address.

Brown there describes the interview as ‘a study in media training’ – nudge nudge, wink wink, say no more – and goes on to offer an interpretation of the exchange that left me wondering whether we had watched the same two people in the same interview.
Sean Plunket
Quote:
It took a couple of days of the self-generated sanctimonious road trip before Mr Key finally snappered and agreed to join Campbell in the studio to explain himself.

The rest will one day be broadcasting history. Never has an interviewer who has almost gleefully proclaimed his right to practise advocacy journalism been so comprehensively and obviously "owned" by his intended victim.

In 17 minutes of compelling viewing Mr Key either answered every question put to him or explained why he couldn't. He maintained his dignity and focus throughout in what anyone who knows anything about the art of the interview has described as a masterclass.
Sean and Brian also did an interview on Radiolive around 10am-10:20am but Radiolive's site is too useless to put it up.

Last edited by ZoSo : 17th August 2013 at 12:54.
Old 17th August 2013, 13:44     #33
Lightspeed

Probably to be fair to Campbell, JK has access to a lot better resources than TV3 in preparation for the interview. I mean, hasn't the whole organisation been struggling for viability for awhile now?
Old 17th August 2013, 14:28     #34
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

The fuck? TV3 is a media company. Campbell's job is to interview people who don't want to give straight answers. The topic was something that Campbell has focused on to the exclusion of almost everything else for weeks. It was an interview that Campbell has been trying to make happen for weeks. To then say "oh, he wasn't prepared" is just butthurt.
Old 17th August 2013, 14:47     #35
Lightspeed

I'm speculating, I'm well on record for having no particular love for JC. I just wonder how pressurised the work environment at TV3 is at the moment. I suspect they're caught between trying to do quality journalism and getting the right numbers.
Old 17th August 2013, 15:10     #36
pxpx

Lightspeed your last four posts reek of passive aggressive schmooze, it's horrible reading.
Old 17th August 2013, 16:17     #37
Lightspeed

This whole affair reeks of passive aggressive schmooze. I don't mean to be having a go at anyone on the forum if that's what you mean though.
Old 19th August 2013, 20:27     #38
IoriDyson

Campbell live or Bart's people? Who knows...
Old 20th August 2013, 01:17     #39
Nothing

1. http://www.3news.co.nz/Campbell-Live...1/Default.aspx

2. http://www.3news.co.nz/Big-crowd-for...3/Default.aspx

3. http://www.3news.co.nz/VIDEO-Key-wal...#ixzz2cPdMSFs5

All of a sudden Key isn't looking so hot.
Old 20th August 2013, 07:58     #40
leadinjector

TBH i think anyway he spins it, the media are not gonna let go of the idea that he is spying on us and reading all our emails. trying to push this through at the same time the whole NSA thing in america is blowing up is truly atrocious timing