NZGames.com Forums
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Go Back   NZGames.com Forums > General > Open Discussion
User Name
Password

Old 1st May 2020, 17:43     #681
Nich

Further infantilising the Australian populous, Scott Morrison says we've earned an "early mark". Fuck you, this language is no accident. Hammer it home you fucker, get it in everyone's head that they are misguided children that need a guardian to show them discipline.

https://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/he...8531f293a37b19
Old 3rd May 2020, 10:57     #682
crocos

Pity the monks in isolation
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9iI6hI7UF64

وكل يوم كنت تعيش في العبودية
Old 3rd May 2020, 11:00     #683
crocos

Also another reason to say fuck you:
Quote:
It is our path back to download the COVIDSafe app
"We'll let you come out and play if you let us track the everloving fuck out of you"

Old 3rd May 2020, 14:32     #684
Trigga*happY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nich
Further infantilising the Australian populous, Scott Morrison says we've earned an "early mark". Fuck you, this language is no accident. Hammer it home you fucker, get it in everyone's head that they are misguided children that need a guardian to show them discipline.

https://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/he...8531f293a37b19
Unfortunately, politicians do have to speak to the lowest common denominator. Yes, the more intellectual may get a little pissed at feeling coddled, however you have to realise that a percentage of the population are actually worse than children, having an overpowering need for praise/approval and an addiction to external affirmation. In communicating in this manner, they hope to encourage the appropriate behaviour across all aspects of society. *edit... grammar*

Last edited by Trigga*happY : 3rd May 2020 at 14:33.
Old 3rd May 2020, 17:59     #685
Lightspeed

Politicians and journalists can speak to all of us, with an awareness that the bulk of us are nominally functional, hence why such institutions persist.

When Tova adopts the stance of the stupid person rather than inquiring based on the interest of everyone, she's working towards a particular agenda. She certainly doesn't have the stupid person at heart.
Old 3rd May 2020, 18:20     #686
Trigga*happY

Sorry, yes. I should have clarified the statement with a "MAY". Certainly not every politician is working with an intention of catering to all walks of life. In communicating in this manner, they MAY be hoping to encourage the appropriate behaviour across all aspects of society.
Old 3rd May 2020, 22:05     #687
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Quote:
Originally Posted by crocos
Also another reason to say fuck you:

"We'll let you come out and play if you let us track the everloving fuck out of you"
This is the tiny version of a much longer train of thought that I've thought about writing up as a proper bloggy article, but...

All the information the govts of the world need is already recorded and tracked and datamined in a million different ways every minute of every day. Anyone with an internet-connected phone is already having all their movements tracked all the time. Why does the government think some new thing hacked together hastily by minimum-wage government employees is the answer to the problem?

Why the fuck are governments so absolutely blind to big tech? It's like the twentieth century's amazing leaps (antibiotics, nuclear power, space travel, computing, etc) have left the governments of the West with a permanent attitude of "tech is awesome, it would never do anything bad, and if it might be doing something bad, best to just not think about it".

What other industry could just say to the governments of the world "Yeah, nah, we won't be paying tax" and have the governments just go "um, OK" like they'd just been Jedi Mind Tricked?

It's like they've got a TARDIS perception filter running. It blows my mind.

The government - any government - could just say "hey phone and app companies, if you want to remain legal here, give us that data that you're already collecting so we can track people's physical movements to try and deal with this worldwide pandemic". But it never enters their heads. The big tech companies are there in the room sitting on a pile of all the information the government needs. But they're invisible. What the fuck.
Old 4th May 2020, 08:12     #688
StN
I have detailed files

Over here, some of the worst data leakages of patient info has been from DHBs. Yeah, I'd trust them with a tracking app...
Old 4th May 2020, 10:52     #689
Native
I... err - F*ck It.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StN
Over here, some of the worst data leakages of patient info has been from DHBs. Yeah, I'd trust them with a tracking app...
The worst part is the culture in management with the DHB. It's an old-boys club within each DHB where senior doctors (with private practices who biggest customer is the DHB) argue with other doctors (same setup) about what they see as 'best' in their view and go fund that.

A friend of mine is a health economist (for which they are less than a dozen in NZ) and the stories make my business mind hurt.

I'd spend a year to save $3-4m of unnecessary cost to NZ Dairy (just utter BS waste) and Auckland DHB's will spend the same money reconciling data because they didn't want to spend $200k the year before on upgrading the legacy systems to include more fields to allow reference codes to link different databases.

Security - lol... you should see their 'anonymized data' and the process they have about standards for sharing data between health departments, let alone amongst other government departments.
Old 4th May 2020, 12:22     #690
fixed_truth

I'm happy while there's a pandemic to risk my privacy using some kind of tracking app like aus is.

If my location data does become leaked or whatever, how does that harm me? Maybe if I was going somewhere specific for health treatment that I didn't want family/work to know or something like that.
Old 4th May 2020, 12:30     #691
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Quote:
Originally Posted by fixed_truth
I'm happy while there's a pandemic to risk my privacy using some kind of tracking app like aus is.

If my location data does become leaked or whatever, how does that harm me? Maybe if I was going somewhere specific for health treatment that I didn't want family/work to know or something like that.
Would your happiness be affected by knowledge that the Australian govt awarded the contract for the tracking app's data to Amazon?
Old 4th May 2020, 13:00     #692
StN
I have detailed files

The lad needed a bottle of bourbon, so I drove him to the local. I'd been there last week, and just walked up, asked for what I needed, and did the contactless transaction. All good.

Today, the chap had to enforce click-and-collect or phone orders only. So I did a Duncan Garner, and rang the chap standing in front of me, and asked for a bottle.
Old 4th May 2020, 18:26     #693
MadMax
Stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by fixed_truth

Leaks aside, would you happy if said tracking data placed you at the scene of a crime? Now remember computers don’t lie. https://www.phoenixnewtimes.com/news...gaeta-11426374
Old 4th May 2020, 18:49     #694
Lightspeed

Seems like most of the world is passing the first wave at this point (with a few just wishing they were), I guess the question is when does the second wave hit and what does it look like?
Old 4th May 2020, 18:57     #695
fixed_truth

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMax
Leaks aside, would you happy if said tracking data placed you at the scene of a crime? Now remember computers don’t lie. https://www.phoenixnewtimes.com/news...gaeta-11426374
I wouldn't think that the risk of this is something I'd have to seriously worry about living in NZ.
Old 4th May 2020, 20:01     #696
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightspeed
Seems like most of the world is passing the first wave at this point (with a few just wishing they were), I guess the question is when does the second wave hit and what does it look like?
Iirc the second wave of Spanish Flu killed about 5 times as many as the first. But learning lessons from history is unfashionable now.
Old 4th May 2020, 21:28     #697
DrTiTus
HENCE WHY FOREVER ALONE

Laugh

Quote:
Originally Posted by StN
Today, the chap had to enforce click-and-collect or phone orders only. So I did a Duncan Garner, and rang the chap standing in front of me, and asked for a bottle.
I witnessed the same thing - a woman rang the bottle store, from outside the bottle store, read out her credit card details to everyone nearby, and then got her bourbon. I don't do that as a matter of habit, so I went to supermarket and paid for my beers with virus laden cash.
Old 5th May 2020, 10:34     #698
BoyWonder

Lol they might as well set up two cups and a string in case you had not already placed your phone order. Could be an opportunity to get some more branding in front of the customer as well.
Old 5th May 2020, 14:18     #699
crocos

Criticism is not to be tolerated in the Putinverse:
https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article...rs-coronavirus

Old 5th May 2020, 16:47     #700
StN
I have detailed files

^^ They got Ferrestal'd.
Old 5th May 2020, 19:01     #701
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Amerrrrrrricaaaaaaaaa

https://imgur.com/rlWPS8p
Old 5th May 2020, 19:13     #702
pxpx

Diagnostic/Therapeutic Imaging (aka Radiology) for a Corona Virus test?

That's fake news m8 :P

Unless they x-ray'd lungs due to respiratory complaint.. then maybe real news m8?
Old 5th May 2020, 20:46     #703
Lightspeed

facepalm

Iranian Revolutionary Guard reported they had a tool that could detect an infected person from 100m away. It was a dowsing rod. The Iranian Health Ministry did not approve it for use.
Old 5th May 2020, 20:57     #704
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Quote:
Originally Posted by pxpx

Unless they x-ray'd lungs due to respiratory complaint.. then maybe real news m8?
yeah I guess if you delete that line of the bill then the numbers make sense
Old 5th May 2020, 22:30     #705
Nich

Quote:
Originally Posted by pxpx

SARS COV2 is a respiratory disease first as it enters the body, and a neurological / blood disease second once it takes root. Asymptomatic cases may skip any respiratory symptoms, and may be deemed asymptomatic, however these people may also have higher D-dimer in their blood as their body attempts to get rid of blood clotting. They don't have perceivable symptoms... then they have a stroke, or their leg gets amputated.

A VQ scan would look for blood clotting in the lungs, and is radiology dept.
https://www.insideradiology.com.au/vq-scan/

For more info on why doctors are doing this in relation to COVID 19, see the following:

TWiV 608: Daniel Griffin’s COVID-19 clinical report
https://www.microbe.tv/twiv/twiv-608/

Pulmonary Embolism and Increased Levels of d-Dimer in Patients with Coronavirus Disease.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/32348233
Old 5th May 2020, 22:43     #706
pxpx

Chur good info thanks Nich
Old 5th May 2020, 23:23     #707
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Google “Covid toes”
Old 6th May 2020, 00:47     #708
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

People aren't always shit.

Quote:
Funds for native American tribes who have been badly hit by coronavirus are flooding in from Ireland as they repay a debt dating back to the 19th-century famine.
https://www.independent.ie/world-new...-39178123.html
Old 6th May 2020, 12:35     #709
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

But sometimes they are.

Oh my god, powerful white dudes gonna powerful white dude every time.

Quote:
London: The scientist whose advice prompted Boris Johnson to lock down the country resigned from his government advisory position last night, after he broke social distancing rules to meet his married lover.

Professor Neil Ferguson allowed the woman to visit him at home during lockdown while he lectured the public on the need for strict social distancing to reduce the spread of coronavirus. The woman lives with her husband and their two children in another house.

https://www.smh.com.au/world/europe/...06-p54q6m.html
This is one of the most IMPORTANT PEOPLE IN THE WORLD. The things he thinks and writes and says determine whether thousands of people live or die.

WHAT. THE. FUCK.
Old 6th May 2020, 12:45     #710
Cyberbob

Good point though. How are adulterers maintaining their affairs in this challenging time?
Old 6th May 2020, 14:49     #711
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Different topic: the more I read about the impact of COVID19 in different places, the more my head explodes with the inexplicability of it. For every simple causal explanation there's a clear exception that blows it up.

Asian countries will get hit hardest! (but Taiwan)
Rich countries will be OK! (but UK, US)
Dense populations will get reamed! (but dense poor India fine, rich sparse Belgium reamed)
Countries with elderly populations are toast, watch Japan go up in flames (Japan fine so far)
Countries with immediate hard lockdowns do better! (again, no lockdown in Japan and fine so far)

blah blah blah for every metric. The impact of this virus makes no fucking sense. It's like some frustrating logic puzzle where you don't even know how many dimensions the space has.
Old 6th May 2020, 17:59     #712
Lightspeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyberbob
Good point though. How are adulterers maintaining their affairs in this challenging time?
I suspect many hens will come home to roost in this time.
Old 6th May 2020, 18:10     #713
Lightspeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ab
The impact of this virus makes no fucking sense. It's like some frustrating logic puzzle where you don't even know how many dimensions the space has.
It's like what happens when a complex real world phenomena collides with chronic information manipulation.
Old 6th May 2020, 19:08     #714
Know me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ab
Different topic: the more I read about the impact of COVID19 in different places, the more my head explodes with the inexplicability of it. For every simple causal explanation there's a clear exception that blows it up.

Dense populations will get reamed! (but dense poor India fine, rich sparse Belgium reamed)
Countries with elderly populations are toast, watch Japan go up in flames (Japan fine so far)
Countries with immediate hard lockdowns do better! (again, no lockdown in Japan and fine so far)

blah blah blah for every metric. The impact of this virus makes no fucking sense. It's like some frustrating logic puzzle where you don't even know how many dimensions the space has.
It will take years for the real facts to come out. What metric are you using for "impact" ?
Old 6th May 2020, 19:56     #715
Trigga*happY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ab

It's crazy how mismatched the data sets are. I've just started looking at genetic maps, see if there's any correlation in that direction. The problem is, every demographic is looking at it's impact on itself and drawing conclusions accordingly.
Old 7th May 2020, 18:24     #716
DrTiTus
HENCE WHY FOREVER ALONE

Laugh

A goat and a pawpaw allegedly test positive with the COVID tests in Tanzania
Old 8th May 2020, 00:36     #717
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trigga*happY
It's crazy how mismatched the data sets are. I've just started looking at genetic maps, see if there's any correlation in that direction. The problem is, every demographic is looking at it's impact on itself and drawing conclusions accordingly.
Perhaps it's not even one single virus. Perhaps it's mutated already.
Old 8th May 2020, 08:52     #718
Trigga*happY

From what they're saying, it's mutating constantly. It's how they track how many times it's been transmitted and when it started. There has only been one significant mutation however, which is how we ended up with the Sars-Cov-2 strain, which is less lethal than it's original form.
Old 8th May 2020, 08:55     #719
Trigga*happY

https://nextstrain.org/ncov/global
Old 8th May 2020, 11:01     #720
pxpx

Can someone ELI5 on how to read that chart please :P