NZGames.com Forums
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Go Back   NZGames.com Forums > General > Open Discussion
User Name
Password

Old 8th December 2014, 11:22     #1801
Kryten

We're saying goodbye to Neo, our last man standing. He's 13 1/2, which is amazing for a 49kg (108lb) Alaskan Malamute. His last many years have been him living out his retirement in his dog run, watching his kennel mates all go before him and lesser dogs be moved to new homes. The last two days he's not eaten anything or had much to drink, the diagnosis is degenerative nerve damage in his lower spine, affecting his ability to stand and of all things pee properly. Pain relief and IV fluids have helped a little but that's now palliative care.

Neo was our first Best in Show winner and on top of that me and him held an NZ sled dog racing title for a year, he was the first dog in NZ that we know of to do both (most dogs are good for one and not the other). Tonka, (see previous page) was a dog with good movement but he wasn't a patch on his old man. Neo had by far the best movement of any dog we've ever owned and most dogs we ever saw as well. He was always a cold weather dog, the lower temperature having an impact on how effective he was. Our best runs were when it was -6c (21f) and he could run without heating up, coming back to the finish line with ice on his coat from running into his own breath and having it freeze on him, with his musher unable to feel his own fingers!

His last races were August 4 and 5 in 2007, we got a second and third in single dog races. The week before we'd blitzed a field of Siberian Husky's over 5km, just to show that big freighting dogs can haul arse when called upon.

To see him like this is sort of devastating, but we knew it would eventually come and we're happy we've had as long as we had with our little Nu.

Not posting pics, I'm still too cut up about it.
Old 8th December 2014, 13:30     #1802
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Old 8th December 2014, 18:18     #1803
chiQ
Frag-muff

Just tweeted sorry to you, dude. Seemed a bit brief. I'm so sorry about Neo. He's been a pretty special companion, so I won't post anything trite about better places. Cuddle-time.
Old 8th December 2014, 18:27     #1804
StN
I have detailed files

Shit.

We need GT to post a piggy pic here stat.
Old 10th December 2014, 00:10     #1805
Savage

That sucks Kryten, condolences to you and your family It sounds like he's led a long and really great life thanks to you
Old 10th December 2014, 00:24     #1806
mpx

I'm sorry to read that, Kryten.
Being able to do what he clearly loved doing is nothing short of awesome and I bet he had a great life with you, I'm sure you will definitely remember all the great things you got to do with him, including more than you've already mentioned!
Old 10th December 2014, 03:33     #1807
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

This has to be the most uplifting and saddening thread on nzgames, stretched out over so many years. I went back to 2005 to see Chanel's baby pics, still got teary. Kryten there are some great pics of your pack back around that time.
Old 10th December 2014, 07:44     #1808
pxpx

someone post pics of kittens plz
Old 22nd February 2015, 05:20     #1809
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Ginger ninja Hobbes is at the end. Days, maybe hours to go. Just trying to keep him comfortable.
Old 22nd February 2015, 07:18     #1810
Kryten

Sorry Ab
Old 22nd February 2015, 11:28     #1811
StN
I have detailed files

Old 22nd February 2015, 15:47     #1812
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

I can't be sad for any reason other than selfishness. By rough mental calculation he's almost 18; that's a good innings, and until this past year he's never acted more than half that age. For a stray kitten adopted in 1997 and dragged around more houses in the Tron, Auckland, Sydney, and Adelaide than I can count, dying at home of old age is the best outcome I could ever have asked for.
Old 22nd February 2015, 20:48     #1813
ChaosWulf
Don't worry, be harpy

True, but still sad
Old 2nd March 2015, 12:49     #1814
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Hobbes made it to March and thus officially 18 years, and died peacefully at home last night.

Loved that cat.
Old 2nd March 2015, 12:50     #1815
Kryten

Old 2nd March 2015, 23:20     #1816
madmaxii

Our family Wuss was about that age too.
Old 9th March 2015, 16:36     #1817
FireStorm
Holmium

You have my condolences AB. Always hard to lose a pet.
Old 17th March 2015, 03:17     #1818
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

I don't know if I'm trying to be happy or trying to be sad. Part of me wants to pump my fist and shout "YUSSSSSS!". A beloved pet made it to the end of the line and died of old-age-related illness at home in peace and got buried in in the backyard. That's a better deal than any pet owner dares to expect from the Universe, and it's certainly the best deal I've ever had.

Hobbes was one of the last connections I had with the old life in which I felt orphaned and adrift and things sucked, and now I have a family and a home and things are choice. So I feel like a whole lot of things beside a fluffy ginger cat are gone, and it's emotional.

But still, victory.
Old 17th March 2015, 21:26     #1819
Golden Teapot
Love, Actuary

We've had an Irish Wolfhound for about 8 months. I wanted a full size dog and gosh have I got one. Her head is higher than the kitchen bench and considerably higher than the dining room table. My border collie now looks like some sort of toy dog.
Old 18th March 2015, 14:08     #1820
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Don't you have a pig as well?
Old 18th March 2015, 19:40     #1821
Golden Teapot
Love, Actuary

Yep I've a pig that loves the smell of bacon cooking.
Old 18th March 2015, 21:21     #1822
kRAdENkO

My wife keeps an instagram account called Two Mogs and a Dog.

https://instagram.com/two_mogs_and_a_dog/

Mainly pics of our Japanese Spitz. We've had her since she was 3months. Is is about 8 months I think.
Old 16th May 2015, 15:06     #1823
pxpx

kitty got the blue juice today, kidney failure
never once went to the vet in 18 years

Old 16th May 2015, 16:40     #1824
Savage

Condolences dude

I'm starting to hate reading this thread
Old 16th May 2015, 19:59     #1825
Caesar

Condolences man.

Last Monday we had to put my nieces 12yo cat down, who we had been looking after for 4-5 years, because of a growth on her jaw. She was diagnosed just over 2 months ago. We thought it was just a rotten tooth as she was drooling a lot but when they removed the tooth they saw a growth on the opposite jaw.
A female ginger called Diva, who was a total house cat, only went out side to do toilet business.
Old 16th May 2015, 20:40     #1826
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Ffs you cunts, post some happy stories. Want to see some new pets up in here.

Pxpx - condolences man. 18 years is a good bash though! You too Caesar, adopting a cat is a big commitment. Good on you.
Old 17th May 2015, 13:14     #1827
mpx

That sucks pxpx I bet they got a super great life with you though!

All right time for the good feels.

About 15 months ago I went with my wife to the animal shelter with the intention of buying a small sized puppy, we had seen one there and had it in mind until we were "browsing the aisles" and came across Kiara.

Kiara was 13, a Red Heeler she was old. Her owners had just surrendered her because they were retiring to a house boat and couldn't take her with them - it was apparently an emotional goodbye, they clearly had no other option because Kiara was extremely well behaved and sweet, she clearly came from a loving home.

We got to interact with the puppy for a bit in the little enclosure, but both my wife and I just kept talking about Kiara. I asked if anyone else had put their name down for both the puppy and Kiara, puppy had over 20 names put down, Kiara had none. We then saw another young couple browsing the dogs and watched as they passed Kiara, the girl gave a sympathetic sigh and the guy said, "Ew" and they both walked off.

That's when I said, "You're coming with us!" Some paperwork and a little payment later, we brought home the best decision we've ever made.

She is the sweetest most gentle pup I've ever met. I love her to little bits and pieces! Her favourite things are belly rubs, very slow walks, the ocean, belly rubs, treats, belly rubs and belly rubs.

She has some issues that naturally come with age, she used to be a working dog on a lifestyle block so her spine ain't too good and her bones near the tail and rear legs has all but seized, we have her on Metacam which isn't cheap but she deserves to not be in pain after all this. I admit I spoil her, I lift her up into the car and onto beds, she's 15 now and most likely does not have many more years in her but I will never regret bringing her home.

<3
Old 8th July 2015, 19:05     #1828
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Pets eh.

Ten years since Chanel died and I still tear up. Ginger Hobbes left us earlier this year, black-and-white nutter Manuel before that, Princess's tailless wonder Fleetwood before that, all now buried together in the garden here.

So anyway I guess ours has been a catless household long enough and I have been informed (I'm at work) that the family had a quorum without me and voted to adopt a cat today and visited the SPCA. Apparently our new cat is a 6-month old boy recently surrendered to the SPCA with a serious leg injury that required amputation, so he's on three legs. Pics when available.
Old 9th July 2015, 22:43     #1829
StN
I have detailed files

I for one await a suitably witty name for such a creature of awesomness.

I currently share an abode with a beagle and two cats. Possibly two goldfish - not sure how that works when moving house from with to without pond.

Hopefully cats left in bathrooms tomorrow with litter boxes for a few days will cement in where they should stay. It's been 20 years since I moved house.

Fish might get a bowl. Or is it Ok to leave them?
Old 9th July 2015, 23:04     #1830
CCS
Stunt Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by StN
I for one await a suitably witty name for such a creature of awesomness.
Please be Peggy.

Quote:
Fish might get a bowl. Or is it Ok to leave them?
Just dump them in some pond someplace.
Old 10th July 2015, 02:40     #1831
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

My sister and I each simultaneously proposed "Tripod". MHG suggested "Legolas", for which he gets pre-Dadjoke credit.

So far (Nameless) seems pretty cool, he's smoochy and kittenish, and I think he got chosen because he reminded the whanau of pets past. He obviously still doesn't entirely realise he's missing a leg because he occasionally attempts stuff and fails catastrophically because the stuff, whatever it is, requires two legs. Jumping up, jumping down, going to scratch that itch. He seems to be settling in OK. House feels better with a cat.
Old 10th July 2015, 08:10     #1832
pxpx

Which leg is missing?

I suggest "Troika" for a name.

^5 for Legolas though.
Old 11th July 2015, 11:44     #1833
Savage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ab
... catastrophically ...
I see what you did there.
Old 12th July 2015, 22:14     #1834
StN
I have detailed files

Jade the black fuzzball has taken it in her stride. She was always a bit lethargic anyway. Toffee the ginge is a bit skittery, and it's showing up in the litter box (Or he's been crook for a while and burying it somewhere). They'll be using the cat door from tomorrow.

Bailey the beagle is loving it - new kennel, and a perch on the outdoor table where he can watch the world go by and bark at any stray that comes into his reserve. He hasn't even met the wee blonde Bishon next door yet.

Don't know where the budgie will end up, but I think it's days of being let out for a fly around are over.
Old 13th July 2015, 16:30     #1835
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

"Arthur"

Shaved hip is where his back left leg used to be. Settling in well so far, getting used to being around Holly the golden retriever without too much hissing and growling.
Old 14th July 2015, 01:07     #1836
kRAdENkO

1 year old now.

Old 6th January 2016, 18:03     #1837
leadinjector

this is butters.

she likes cheese, classical music, and meeting new people.

she dislikes heights, and elevators are still a bit sketchy.
Old 6th January 2016, 19:44     #1838
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Old 21st July 2016, 22:15     #1839
StN
I have detailed files

Quote:
Originally Posted by StN
Jade the black fuzzball has taken it in her stride. She was always a bit lethargic anyway. Toffee the ginge is a bit skittery, and it's showing up in the litter box (Or he's been crook for a while and burying it somewhere). They'll be using the cat door from tomorrow.
This is Toffee.

He soon recovered a year ago after the move described above and settled in without a worry. He mastered the catdoor in no time, unlike the fat black fuzzy one.

About 12 1/2 years ago, Gran asked the lad if he would like a kitten, and legend has it the little ginge chose him. He was always a stocky little bugger. Solid, not fat, and deft at jumping up fences, climbing trees, and hissing and growling at the black cat.

Except one time about two years ago when I think he'd been watching the other cats in the hood getting into spring, and he decided that even after being fixed, that the black cat (and even after her being fixed) was a bit of what he needed. Bit her on the neck to keep her in submission, and tried vainly to have his way with her. Kids thought it was hilarious. Poor little black fuzzball (well, pretty big fuzzball actually) getting violated on the back lawn.

He had always been wary of her - even from the first time they met:

He'd helped the kids grow up - got a bit skittery after the quakes, but came back the next day and helped us out. Always willing to take out a mother Starling, and then each of her hatchlings just in case we needed to stand in something on the back doorstep when leaving in the morning.

One Xmas there appeared a bird carcass under the tree - he wanted to ensure we knew that he could provide. He also decimated the mouse population down by the back shed that housed the seed for the birdfeeders - usually leaving one to play with until he got bored an accidentally let its head fall off.

He would follow me down the driveway to get the paper in the morning, or when I'd go for my walk to the local - turning back after one or two houses. He never wandered far. After moving to the new house, he would walk the kids to the bus stop just outside the reserve, making sure they got there ok, and running home if the traffic got too heavy.

The girl thought it would be good to feed the odd duck that landed in the reserve, and after a few days there were around 40 of the bastards quacking around. Toffee's eyes were like saucers - but he didn't get any.

He'd wait for me at the gate at the new place sometimes, then frolic up the drive and jump on the car to get warmth from the engine cooling. Or he'd sunbathe in the strawberry patch - only yesterday I planted some pumpkins and made sure not to disturb his special matted straw spot.

Cabbage trees made good scratching posts.

He'd been a bit off his food lately. Not as fast running around, and getting boney down the spine. The odd accident around the house had to be pinned on one of them.

The wife and the boy took him to the vet this afternoon. Renal failure or cancer. Either one wasn't worth inflicting more pain on him, and my son bravely stepped up and stayed with him while the blue dream was administered.

Sleep well T-Bag, dream of chasing those big birds.
Old 21st July 2016, 23:15     #1840
madmaxii