NZGames.com Forums
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Go Back   NZGames.com Forums > General > ISP and Telco discussion
User Name
Password

Old 1st September 2005, 16:19     #1
Belaruz

Post Vodafone - soon to be vodagone

An insider report released today shows signs that the major player in the mobil phone service in New Zealand may be showing signs of trouble.

Recent problems with message times and connection issues have "apparently" been running rampant. Sources at Vodafone have been pushed to the limit with constant assistance calls from troubled users.

Is this the sign of a complete loss for Vodafone? Has the sleeping tadpole Telecom finally beaten the overseas mogil?

Time will tell, but ask yourself this, how many vodafone users here have had trouble with messages arriving late (or not at all) and connection issues when you are trying to call.

I bet its alot more of you than you think.
Old 1st September 2005, 16:21     #2
Massacre

In cinemas November 12th.
Old 1st September 2005, 16:35     #3
cEvin
Love In Vein

cellphones are for losers anyway.

case closed.
Old 1st September 2005, 16:35     #4
ReziN

I have had no problems. At all.
Old 1st September 2005, 16:37     #5
TnT

They didn't think that whole top up thing through fully did they?

Simple economics states you can't just keep giving $2 away all the time
Old 1st September 2005, 16:39     #6
CCS
Stunt Pants

Wait... you need to give it back, don't you?
Old 1st September 2005, 16:39     #7
ReziN

Sounds like some retarded rumor with no truth behind it.
Old 1st September 2005, 16:41     #8
TnT

Quote:
Originally posted by CCS
Wait... you need to give it back, don't you?
Theoretically yes, but we'd established that you could just get a large Turkish guy to go around and shit on their carpet when this amazing offer was first introduced instead.

Vodaphone subsequently now have an empty bank account, and are trying to recoup costs selling manure.
Old 1st September 2005, 16:43     #9
nostrom0

Quote:
Originally posted by ReziN
Old 1st September 2005, 16:44     #10
Baal

Quote:
Old 1st September 2005, 16:45     #11
ePi

I think the whole vodafone - telecom user statistics that the media use are incorrect. Alot of my friends don't "cancel" their vodafone prepay sim and just shelve it when they go to telecom. So the numbers for people "actively" using Vodafone appear bloated. Alot of people are switching to Telecom these days and very rarely are people switching to Vodafone.

Maybe Vodafone would do better if they realised that they are eventually going to lose the whole market with their bloated calling prices and outdated policies like the ones on contract right now. Half the country is on Telecom yet they insist their plans only cater for 'vodafone to vodafone' communication and you have to pay extra over the top of your plan to contact a telecom mobile.

To me they're way too fridgid to compete in the mobile market. The $2 text marketing was nonsense and their free weekend texts is hardly going to sway people to switch back to Vodafone. As far as I'm concerned I'd welcome them to leave if only it didn't mean Telecom would have a monopoly on the mobile market.
Old 1st September 2005, 16:46     #12
Hannibal

corrected

Quote:
Is this the sign of a complete loss for Vodafone? Has the sleeping overseas owned tadpole Telecom finally beaten the overseas owned vodafone?
Old 1st September 2005, 17:08     #13
Nambio

Vodafone won't leave the market. Its one of the biggest companies in the world. Just because they arn't turning a profit in NZ doesnt mean they will pull out. I actually heard Telstra was coming into the cellphone market...
Old 1st September 2005, 17:21     #14
Hazmat
I Like Toast

Quote:
Originally posted by Nambio
Vodafone won't leave the market. Its one of the biggest companies in the world. Just because they arn't turning a profit in NZ doesnt mean they will pull out. I actually heard Telstra was coming into the cellphone market...
Telstra have been in the business mobile market for a couple (at least) of years now. They lease from Voda.
Old 1st September 2005, 17:23     #15
The Edge

Is there a link to this report anywhere?
Old 1st September 2005, 17:35     #16
CCS
Stunt Pants

Rolling eyes

This 'insider report' probably means that he knows a dude who knows a dude who works for vodafone and knows a guy who heard it from fat bloke down the pub.
Old 1st September 2005, 17:41     #17
flic
Dee Hast Mish

Quote:
Originally posted by CCS
This 'insider report' probably means that he knows a dude who knows a dude who works for vodafone and knows a guy who heard it from fat bloke down the pub.
that kinda shit can get people fired eh

Old 1st September 2005, 17:44     #18
CCS
Stunt Pants

Yes. Yes it can. If you know who said it.
Old 1st September 2005, 17:53     #19
StN
I have detailed files

Quote:
Originally posted by CCS
Hey - it wasn't me!
Old 1st September 2005, 18:17     #20
Helious

Quote:
Old 1st September 2005, 18:18     #21
Cheeps

hah, you gota be kidding. If you listen to this you might as well buy a telecom phone.
Old 1st September 2005, 18:23     #22
CCS
Stunt Pants

Quote:
Originally posted by StN
Hey - it wasn't me!
I dunno... I heard the fat bloke was being roughed up by Buddha.
Old 1st September 2005, 18:24     #23
wtf.pl@y

Who needs the Financial Times when we have this kind of indepth factual analysis!

Vodafone squeeze far higher arpu from their business customers than Telecom so im sure they are not loosing sleep at night.

Re the only calling inside the same network. Look up 'termination rates'.
Old 1st September 2005, 19:26     #24
Blue Lightning

Quote:
Originally posted by ePi
Alot of people are switching to Telecom these days and very rarely are people switching to Vodafone.
Do you have any non-anecdotal evidence to back up that statement?

Quote:
Half the country is on Telecom yet they insist their plans only cater for 'vodafone to vodafone' communication and you have to pay extra over the top of your plan to contact a telecom mobile.
Telecom run these kinds of offers as well. I heard one on the radio less than a week ago.

Quote:
As far as I'm concerned I'd welcome them to leave if only it didn't mean Telecom would have a monopoly on the mobile market.
I have to ask, why exactly do you hate Vodafone so much?
Old 1st September 2005, 19:27     #25
Shock

Never had any problems with Vodafone at all.
Old 1st September 2005, 19:27     #26
cranz

Quote:
Originally posted by CCS
more likely it was some lower level employee trying to sound like he knows what he's on about but then again - i dont know...
Old 1st September 2005, 19:29     #27
snow*

Fuck Telecom they suck the big one.

I bet this rumor was started by the same croud who started that vodafone text spam about "National pass it on day" just so vodafone would get inundated with texts.
Old 1st September 2005, 19:49     #28
Omicron

Has anyone in NZ ever been sued for online libel?

Cause that's got to be BS
Old 1st September 2005, 19:54     #29
The Edge

Quote:
Originally posted by Hazmat
Telstra have been in the business mobile market for a couple (at least) of years now. They lease from Voda.
They're starting to build their own network now, apparently:

http://www.computerworld.co.nz/news....2570450083783C
Old 1st September 2005, 20:13     #30
Ard Righ

Quote:
Originally posted by Omicron
Has anyone in NZ ever been sued for online libel?

Cause that's got to be BS
Yes, in fact I believe there have been about 3 cases of such in NZ in the last few years. Essentially, things published on the internet are considered as being the same as being published in regular print media (newspapers and magazines).
Old 1st September 2005, 20:16     #31
Mr M

Quote:
Originally posted by Hazmat
Not for long

God. Why on EARTH would anyone want Telecom to run the NZ mobile market??
Who wants shitty cellphones with shitty connection requirements using a technology that is 10 years too old?? Who wants to be on a network system that only 30% of the worlds network population use??

ePi: Dude, you know how many people switch from Telecom to Voda?!?! A LOT! (That's 'A' space 'LOT'). Esspecially business customers. And they have some major MONEY. Now, think about this. Due to Telecom's $10 txt, the gap between Voda and Telecom reduced to almost a 50/50 market share. Vodafone kept their customer count. Telecom increased theirs. With Voda losing little to no connections.
What happened, was that Voda customers bought a Telecom phone for txting. But KEPT their Voda connection for everything else. So what you have is customers that sit on the fence giving money to both companies.
Also, the reason for Voda not wanting you to call Telecom (apart from the obvious reasons), is down to the simple fact Telecom have a monopoly on communication connections. If you were to call a Telecom phone, be it landline or cell, Vodafone have to PAY telecom to make that connection. Telecom don't just let people come in and use their lines for free you know.

Also, what would happen to Roaming if NZ was Telecom only? How many countries can you roam to with a Telecom phone? I think it's 5?
Fuck - we'd be a backwards company when it comes to mobile telecommunications.
Old 1st September 2005, 21:09     #32
surreal

lol @ telecom
lol @ CDMA
lol @ this thread

Now lets give this thread a new lease of life - anyone else get this txt this week
"Let yourself go! Call any Vdfn mobile or landline in NZ, pay for th 1st 3 mins & talk upto 2 hrs FREE! Mon-Fri 7pm-7am. C Vodafone.co.nz 4 terms or call 236"

Now its all very well to match Telecom's deal, but mon-fri 7pm-7am is bit weak...
Old 1st September 2005, 21:30     #33
MoP

I have a Motorola RAZR V3 - which is reason enough to stay with Vodafone

That's one fucking sexy phone right there...

Can't get it for CDMA at present afaik
Old 1st September 2005, 21:54     #34
Beccara

Quote:
Originally posted by MoP
I have a Motorola RAZR V3 - which is reason enough to stay with Vodafone

That's one fucking sexy phone right there...

Can't get it for CDMA at present afaik
Not in this country but they are out there in the USA and Taiwain
Old 1st September 2005, 21:58     #35
ePi

Quote:
Originally posted by Blue Lightning
Do you have any non-anecdotal evidence to back up that statement? I have to ask, why exactly do you hate Vodafone so much?
No I don't, it was based on personal experience. "Hi, this is my new number 027..." and all that crazy jazz, sorry I couldn't reference you a rich bibliography. I hate calling Telecom numbers because I have to pay extra on top of my contract to contact them. I like Vodafone- I realise they are the lesser of two evils, I just wish they'd take away that "vodafone to vodafone only" crap.

Should I google termination rates and hope in hell it comes up with the answer to vodafone to vodafone, wtfpl@y, or do you simply think I care this much to bother myself?

Mr M: Right you are, but I still think vodafone count numbers are bloated in the sense that the people who switch to telecom keep their voda sim cards and only use them sparsely. (again, opinion based on personal experience)

Anyways, aren't we paying the second highest mobile rates in the world? (see here:http://www.stuff.co.nz/stuff/0,2106,3374921a13,00.html AND http://www.stuff.co.nz/stuff/0,2106,3382198a13,00.html)

That's my real problem there.
Old 1st September 2005, 22:11     #36
xin

Quote:
Originally posted by cEvin
cellphones are for losers anyway.

case closed.
dd u gt m txt? dd u lol?
Old 1st September 2005, 22:37     #37
crocos

At work we've got a paging gateway using the Vodafone network.

Three pages generated, in order of 029, 021, 027, all sent less then a second apart will usually be received in order of 027, ~30 second delay, 029, 021.

Vodaphone is SLOW on the delivery, plus often (though not always) there's a perceptable delay (around a half second) on the line when calling, even with 021 to 021.

That having been said, I'm still happy with my 021 for general usage.
Old 1st September 2005, 23:10     #38
Spidey

That post sounds like a disgruntled ex-employee who just got fired from vodafone and tries to find a place to cry about it. Think about this for a second Belaruz if vodafones network is getting slower don't you think they have the capital to fix this problem. I mean with the mega bucks vodafone makes worldwide to upgrade the NZ network would be like petty cash.

To put it simply, if park your car and get fined for not paying for parking do you just ditch your $10,000 car because of the $10 fine. There is simply no logic in your claims. NONE

Last edited by Spidey : 1st September 2005 at 23:11.
Old 1st September 2005, 23:40     #39
fidgit
Always itchy

Quote:
Originally posted by ePi
Maybe Vodafone would do better if they realised that they are eventually going to lose the whole market with their bloated calling prices and outdated policies like the ones on contract right now. Half the country is on Telecom yet they insist their plans only cater for 'vodafone to vodafone' communication and you have to pay extra over the top of your plan to contact a telecom mobile.
What the hell are you takling about? Vodafone plans are usually "Vodafone to Vodafone, or any land line in New Zealand."

Telecom's are usually "Telecom to Telecom, or any Telecom land line."

<facetious>
Half the people in Wellington are on TelstraClear yet they insist their plans only cater for "Telecom to Telecom" communication and you have to pay extra over the top of your plan to contact a telstraclear landline.
</facetious>
Old 1st September 2005, 23:57     #40
Omicron

but telecom has $10 text guy

as you were.