NZGames.com Forums
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Go Back   NZGames.com Forums > General > Open Discussion
User Name
Password

Old 23rd March 2020, 22:09     #321
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

So jealous and full of aroha for NZ right now. Australia is a fractured, confused, desperate riot waiting to happen. A government response of Trumpian incompetence.
Old 23rd March 2020, 22:25     #322
Nich

Bored during the lockdown? Learn 2 code for free!

https://qz.com/1514408/400-free-ivy-...nline-in-2019/
Old 24th March 2020, 00:24     #323
ePi

What are the grocery delivery options in Auckland? I am in self isolation because of travel so looking around at what I can get delivered that's not takeaway.

New World and Countdown in my area both have 7 day waits. I managed to get an early New World order in but they didn't pack pick half the order because of panic buyers clearing out the shelves. Countdown are delivering next week. They've both been pretty small orders <$100.

I'm not desperate for anything, just could use a few more things and see if there is any other place doing deliveries.
Old 24th March 2020, 05:15     #324
Know me.

This is it ladies and gentlemen. Fed just fired the BFG and guaranties everything, at least until they are all dead.

Lp0 on fire.
Old 24th March 2020, 10:54     #325
blynk

Quote:
Originally Posted by ePi
What are the grocery delivery options in Auckland? I am in self isolation because of travel so looking around at what I can get delivered that's not takeaway.

New World and Countdown in my area both have 7 day waits. I managed to get an early New World order in but they didn't pack pick half the order because of panic buyers clearing out the shelves. Countdown are delivering next week. They've both been pretty small orders <$100.

I'm not desperate for anything, just could use a few more things and see if there is any other place doing deliveries.
You may need to get someone you know to pop down if there are some things you were wanting.
I heard delivery is a week wait, and thats my concern that you book it, and stuff that you need wont come through.

Im waiting to hear what the shops will be doing once lockdown starts.
You can't have 100 people walking around in store at the same time. You also cant have 500 people queueing outside waiting to get in.

Will you get a number and have to wait in the car?
Will peoples who names start with A-D go day 1, E-H day 2?
Old 24th March 2020, 11:16     #326
xor

We've pulled my oldest out of School in Queensland. No idea why they're still wanting children to go as it completely contradicts everything the government is stating.

We won't need to go to a supermarket for the next month at least, and could stretch it out to 3 months if there are lots of infections.

So many people have been made redundant, shit is going to change forever imo. Wonder how the political/economic changes be made.
Old 24th March 2020, 11:48     #327
ePi

Quote:
Originally Posted by blynk
You may need to get someone you know to pop down if there are some things you were wanting.
I heard delivery is a week wait, and thats my concern that you book it, and stuff that you need wont come through.
My next delivery is a week away, but it's Countdown so you can't edit it.. I'll be alright for food. A few things I would have loved, but nothing is essential that is missing.
Old 24th March 2020, 12:11     #328
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Shit is weird here in Radelaide. Kids still in school. Control-freak boss expects me at my desk. Princess has already lost her job.
Old 24th March 2020, 12:24     #329
Nich

Quote:
Originally Posted by xor
shit is going to change forever imo
Honey Badger Virus will usher in the fourth stage of civilization: The Information Age.

- Citizens will transition from tax-paying cattle to "customers" who demand better "service" from government and media institutions.
- The internet and remote work will be the great leveler of people offering value across pretty much every service sector.
- Governments will reveal that the only power they have is from a monopoly on violence and incarceration
- Governments will make an example out of sovereign individuals to scare everyone else away from claiming their own sovereignty (ie Snowden, Osama Bin Laden, Assange, Manning)

So yes, we aren't going back to the way things were.

Last edited by Nich : 24th March 2020 at 12:28.
Old 24th March 2020, 13:21     #330
Ajax
Architeuthis

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nich
Honey Badger Virus will usher in the fourth stage of civilization: The Information Age.
Sorry if this comes as a shock but the information age began in the late 1960s.
Old 24th March 2020, 13:26     #331
Lightspeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ab
Shit is weird here in Radelaide. Kids still in school. Control-freak boss expects me at my desk. Princess has already lost her job.
Reality bites. There are gonna be a lot of control freak bosses regretting their decisions in coming weeks.
Old 24th March 2020, 13:27     #332
Lightspeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajax
Sorry if this comes as a shock but the information age began in the late 1960s.
You could read it in the spirit it's posted. He's clearly talking about a transformative progression that would eclipse the current state of things.
Old 24th March 2020, 13:34     #333
Ajax
Architeuthis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightspeed
You could read it in the spirit it's posted. He's clearly talking about a transformative progression that would eclipse the current state of things.
The problem is when he opens with a clanger like that it's hard to take the rest of it seriously.
Old 24th March 2020, 13:44     #334
Know me.

PB Tech foray into the coporate world is over. They just went cash only. Fuck off and go back to selling mice and keyboards.

If bitcoin doesnt rally now its dead.
Old 24th March 2020, 14:43     #335
Cyberbob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ab
How's the Australian govt response been so far? Haven't heard much about it, other than social media.
Old 24th March 2020, 14:54     #336
Nich

The information age has had a few people standing in its way trying to convince us it's risky for the individual to source their information from anyone other than the authority on the subject (ie Youtube, Reddit, Twitter telling everyone how to safely get information on COVID-19), or that the employee needs the employer more than the employer needs the employee.

Think of all the middle managers that told employees that it was impossible for the job to be done remotely, so they need to come into the office to be observed working. Well their bluff got called on this one and now the impossible is not only possible, but it's high priority.

All barriers to the information age are now stepping aside and the dam has burst. Good things ahead for humanity, open source, wisdom of crowds, and thrifty individuals. Bad times ahead for institutions (Universities that value the campus over the education, Governments that value the controlling the population over all else, News media that demand people believe what they print).
Old 24th March 2020, 15:21     #337
Nich

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyberbob
How's the Australian govt response been so far? Haven't heard much about it, other than social media.
As far as travel restrictions, Aus has done whatever NZ has done.

in VIC, the following restrictions are in place:
- ban all non-essential gatherings of more than 500 people outdoors
- ban all non-essential gatherings of more than 100 people indoors
- non-essential indoor gatherings must observe 4sqm per person
- queues and such have 1.5m distance between people

Trying to figure out if our coworking office can still operate so long as we observe the restrictions + the following:
- Paper towels instead of tea towels
- hand sanitizer for all
- glen 20 all high-touch surfaces twice a day

but then there's my gut feel that we're just stair stepping our way to total lockdown a la Italy, UK. So best make preparations now to isolate and work from home.
Old 24th March 2020, 15:32     #338
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyberbob
A shitshow of incompetence and failure to lead or communicate.
Old 24th March 2020, 15:40     #339
StN
I have detailed files

It's times like these that remind me of the classic piece of post-apocalyptic Australian cinema - the tale of a man apart, searching for meaning in the world, only to be shagged by a Salvation army chick. Be still cat.
Old 24th March 2020, 16:54     #340
crocos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ab
A shitshow of incompetence and failure to lead or communicate.
And a whole lot of "Oh yeah, maybe we should copy country X for this measure" for the few things put in place.

At the super this morning, The District Woolworths in Docklands, VIC. 8am, there was about 25 8-packs of toilet paper after the Seniors had their hour, and absolutely no eggs or paper towels. No surprise really - idiots gonna hoard.

A reasonable amount of flour - not that I need any. No yeast though, lol.

وكل يوم كنت تعيش في العبودية

Last edited by crocos : 24th March 2020 at 16:59.
Old 24th March 2020, 17:56     #341
Nich

Simon PEGG and Nick FROST made a SHAUN OF THE DEAD Quarantine PSA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DSFrRnPNIPw
Old 24th March 2020, 18:02     #342
MadMax
Stuff

That weird feeling when you wake up in the morning or at the end of a good movie and the current reality hits.
Old 24th March 2020, 21:34     #343
Know me.

If you are kicking yourself that you are still stuck in a growth kiwisaver, tomorrow is the day to switch to cash. Check DOW at 9am and if it’s up over 5% it’s probably going to be your best time to get out if you are believing the armageddon scenarios or you don’t have the stomach to take more losses. I believe it will take at least three days to switch out and hopefully the market will rally for all three for you. Check with your provider on how long its going to take.

I would just ride it out myself, the market will recover eventually.
Old 24th March 2020, 21:49     #344
Lightspeed

If we're fucked, we're fucked. May as well go on ahead as if we're not.
Old 24th March 2020, 21:54     #345
Know me.

Quote:
If we're fucked, we're fucked. May as well go on ahead as if we're not.
Our ancestors faced worse with less.
Old 24th March 2020, 22:04     #346
Nich

Option in Aus to convert super to cash to bail yourself out . Need to investigate, but if available i might withdraw from super to increase purchasing power once asset prices bottom out.
Old 24th March 2020, 22:06     #347
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Know me.
Oath
Old 24th March 2020, 22:08     #348
Know me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nich
Option in Aus to convert super to cash to bail yourself out . Need to investigate, but if available i might withdraw from super to increase purchasing power once asset prices bottom out.
Only makes sense if you think you can beat the market. Risky strategy. Broad based index funds is the way to go.
Old 24th March 2020, 22:48     #349
Lightspeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Know me.
I was more going for Nick Fury kind of sentiment: "Until such time as the world ends, we will act as though it intends to spin on."
Old 24th March 2020, 23:34     #350
Lightspeed

That said, what happens when people realise that indeed, we can still get by without all the cool shit and fun times our way of living was affording us?
Old 24th March 2020, 23:34     #351
Know me.

Quote:
I was more going for Nick Fury kind of sentiment: "Until such time as the world ends, we will act as though it intends to spin on."
ah, I took it the wrong way. I like that perspective.
Old 24th March 2020, 23:38     #352
Know me.

Quote:
That said, what happens when people realise that indeed, we can still get by without all the cool shit and fun times our way of living was affording us?
Different shit will be cool and new ways of having fun will be found although drinking and rooting will still be popular.
Old 25th March 2020, 01:21     #353
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

orlov's back, back again

Quote:

Quote:
Stage 1: Financial collapse. Faith in “business as usual” is lost.

Stage 2: Commercial collapse. Faith that “the market shall provide” is lost.

Stage 3: Political collapse. Faith that “the government will take care of you” is lost.

Stage 4: Social collapse. Faith that “your people will take care of you” is lost.

Stage 5: Cultural collapse. Faith in “the goodness of humanity” is lost.
All my getting bys fall somewhere between 0 and 2.

Still, like the man said,

Quote:
...in places where society and culture remain intact, I believe that social and cultural collapse is avoidable, and that this is where we must really dig in our heels. Also, I think it is very important that we learn to see our surroundings for what they have become. In many places, it feels as if there just isn’t that much left that’s worth trying to save. If all the culture we see is commercial culture, and all the society we see is consumer society, then the best we can do is walk away from it, and look for other people who are ready to do the same.
Old 25th March 2020, 11:47     #354
Pepsi
Konnichiwa, bitches

Quote:
Originally Posted by ePi

I would recommend creating your shopping list on the Countdown site and then checking periodically for deliveries. I created a list earlier this morning in preparation for the next day opening, and happened to check the delivery times now and managed to slot into a Sunday delivery time that literally just opened up (still some there now).
Old 25th March 2020, 12:42     #355
Lightspeed

What I assume the immediate situation is, is all the produce destined to be cooked in a commercial kitchen is now heading to the supermarket. I guess a bunch might make it to (or remain in) frozen storage.

The challenge is the bottleneck at supermarkets. Even during normal operation it's expected they can be a bustling place. Reducing that to ensure distance, while also increasing the volume of product sold doesn't seem viable.

I figure improved delivery services will become standard. It should be much more efficient, especially with the roads clear.

Some IT nerds out there are going to be deemed essential.

Last edited by Lightspeed : 25th March 2020 at 12:46.
Old 25th March 2020, 12:46     #356
Lightspeed

facepalm

Trump suggesting Easter as the date the US economy reopens, while deaths in Italy continue to jump, over two weeks after entering lockdown.
Old 25th March 2020, 13:04     #357
Cyberbob

Bill Gates says we can’t restart the economy soon and simply “ignore that pile of bodies over in the corner”

Quote:
“There really is no middle ground, and it’s very tough to say to people, ‘Hey, keep going to restaurants, go buy new houses, ignore that pile of bodies over in the corner. We want you to keep spending because there’s maybe a politician who thinks GDP growth is all that counts,’”
Old 25th March 2020, 13:21     #358
Nich

It's made it to Greenland and Madagascar, next comes the evolution of symptoms and it's game over.
Old 25th March 2020, 14:46     #359
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

https://www.smh.com.au/national/nsw/...23-p54d2f.html

This is like that moment in the World War Z movie when the zombies finally go over the top of the wall in Israel.

Australia has just cocked this up so bad.
Old 25th March 2020, 17:25     #360
Nich

Base rate fallacy check: "This virus doesn't kill young people."

LA County Reports First Death of Covid-19 Patient Under 18
https://www.courthousenews.com/la-co...ient-under-18/

https://www.scmp.com/news/world/unit...ld-covid-19-us

Yep. It kills young and old.