Old 18th February 2021, 15:59     #81
DrTiTus
HENCE WHY FOREVER ALONE

Thumbs up

Thank you for your services!
Old 9th January 2023, 23:51     #82
DrTiTus
HENCE WHY FOREVER ALONE

If you've got an older Mac or Macbook that stopped getting updates, and you feel a bit gutted since was actually a good machine before Apple neglected you, I've put together a bunch of links here for the tools and links you need to get Monterey running. Don't forget to do a Time Machine backup first and use [Internet] Recovery if something goes wrong.

I put all these links on one page because I was referring to them a lot, but someone else might find them useful.
Old 14th December 2023, 18:59     #83
DrTiTus
HENCE WHY FOREVER ALONE

My manager showed me caddy - an alternative to nginx. If you hate nginx config like I do, then you should check it out

You don't have to worry about dealing with certbot, or that ridiculous ACME challenge dance with an HTTP config and then HTTPS with cert files. It's automatic, done behind the scenes, and so far has Just Worked.

The config is minimal - I don't think it could get any simpler. It was always annoying not to have wildcard certs with certbot, so I avoided using subdomains, but now I can just add a line of config with the subdomain I want to use, tell it to reverse proxy to the relevant internal HTTP server : port (or file_server with local folder), and voila. Performance is sufficient... if you are a normal person with a normal load (less than thousands of requests per second), then you are likely fine. I switched out my apache+ssl/certbot config to caddy/apache and it was a piece of piss. Took 5 minutes when I was in bed about to sleep. A single short Caddyfile for everything, no headaches.

As a bonus, you get my shitty Kraftwerk inspired Javascript demo which has out of sync audio that only works in Firefox once you enable it. As you can see, I am not a front end guy.
Old 19th December 2023, 08:41     #84
StN
I have detailed files

I started using rumble.run when it was under its first iterations at home to do local network discovery. It's now evolved to https://www.runzero.com/ and still free for small home networks (/19? and 100 discovered devices) which I am trying to keep under!

Only hassle is running around the house turning on all the IoT devices to get them enumerated (and to avoid DHCP contention when I've done a static assignment somewhere...)
Old 28th December 2023, 19:23     #85
DrTiTus
HENCE WHY FOREVER ALONE

Bad RAM? Sometimes your system crashes? Or someone's selling 32GB for $1 reserve but says "possibly faulty, no returns"?

Simply add "memtest=n" to your Linux kernel boot parameters (vi /etc/default/grub && update-grub), and have the kernel detect the bad bits and map them out so they never get used.

n is the number of passes, with each pass potentially detecting more, but there are diminishing returns. RAM isn't like hard drives where bad sectors "spread", so if you're happy with 31.8GB instead of 32GB, then go right ahead. It happens on every boot, and adds a few seconds (but not even a minute) and since we don't reboot very often, who cares?

You can do a similar thing in Windows, but you've got to do more testing and fuckery. Not worth the effort for a shitty Windows computer.

BIOSes used to do this back in the day, but I notice they don't do it anymore (or maybe I just have Fast Boot enabled, I don't know). It's a valid workaround - test before use.

It's not just for cheapskates buying dodgy RAM - if you have a computer with soldered on RAM (which is becoming more common these days), then you don't have a choice to replace the RAM if it does go bad over time. In this situation, you can just test and reserve the bad areas, and nothing will ever attempt to write/read from them, so you don't read garbage and crash. And old computers are better with Linux anyway, so you may as well make 2024 the year of nothing but Linux on all your desktops.

Obviously don't do this if you're running critical systems (you've probably got ECC RAM anyway).