Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Go Back   NZGames.com Forums > General > ISP and Telco discussion
User Name
Password

Old 21st May 2007, 13:18     #1
StN
I have detailed files

Telstra Clear Saturn/Sky packages

Hmm - this is going to verge on Tech, but I'll stick it in here anyway.

I had a chap turn up door knocking on Friday night (Just after I'd gotten home from the pub, so I asked him to come back this week).

He was trying to get me to move to cable based Sky because it would be $10 cheaper per month. Now last time we had cable, the picture quality was nice compared to UHF, but crap when compared to Sky Digital. He countered that the cable signal is now digital, and that it is the same as Sky. I then said that I had a tandem second decoder with Sky, and he said no worries - they could do that cheaper too.

So my question is - is the Cable TV digital signal a great improvement over what was initally rolled out? I admit it has the potential to be as good as Satellite Sky, but I don't want to go and get the Cable hooked up just to find that it is as crappy as before. I think he mentioned a 1 month trial period anyway. And because its a door knocking offer, their second decoder would be installed for free!
Old 21st May 2007, 13:39     #2
Azmodan

I prefer the cable based sky tbh, menu's seem more responsive, and there is no loss in quality my 2c.
Old 21st May 2007, 14:05     #3
Shock

I have had both and ended up prefering the sky option. No really noticeable difference in quality of picture.

On a side note our decision to move was mainly due to the fact that the programme guide never ever synced up with the live t.v. No matter how many system / modem resets were done it never came right.

2c

Last edited by Shock : 21st May 2007 at 14:06.
Old 21st May 2007, 14:07     #4
[Malks] Pixie

We get our TV through cable and generally there is no complain of service. Picture quality is always good - I've never been on a sky dish so can't compare sorry, though I've never really noticed any difference in signals from provider to provider.

We have had some issues with our image freezing or our modem falling over (lost TV reception for an entire evening once) - these seem to be very rare though.

Sounds like a deal worth checking out maybe...

Pixie
Old 21st May 2007, 15:00     #5
Spidey

There is one main difference between the two networks, TV3. Sky gets a direct feed while Telstra uses an ariel to pick up the signal. Other than that they are both almost identical.
Old 21st May 2007, 18:53     #6
Genesis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azmodan
I prefer the cable based sky tbh, menu's seem more responsive
I must have a crappy decoder or something as ours continually crashes, unresponsive as fuck, often loses channels, on occasions we can't access pay-per view and the on-screen TV guide is never, ever up-to-date. The only reason we haven't gone to Sky is because it's quite a bit more expensive.
Old 21st May 2007, 20:10     #7
tln

We have cable Sky and I believe that the signal is recompressed by TC as there is not as much bandwidth available compared with Sky Digital. Then again I may be misinformed but I "think" that I can see a difference, especially on the LCD TV.

Agree that the remote is more responsive on TC tho!
Old 21st May 2007, 20:14     #8
Rince
SLUTS!!!!!!!

on cable sky (analogue).... have seen friends with digital sky via a dish.... their's was better .....
me =

maybe I'll go digital Saturn one day, and me =
Old 22nd May 2007, 12:52     #9
MoP

Digital cable is tons better, quality wise than analogue... at least the same as Sky, except you don't suffer from rain fade
Old 22nd May 2007, 15:42     #10
Spoon1
Mmm... Sacrilicious

Analogue Cable has a smaller selection of channels than Digital Cable/Sky Digital but I know there were some problems in the past with compression on the Digital Cable service - I think they've been ironed out though.

I'm still on Analogue simply because we're lazy and it's a little bit cheaper
Old 22nd May 2007, 16:01     #11
[Malks] Pixie

Well just to follow up on my post from yesterday - had problems with our reception again last night and lost a couple of channels for about an hour - really bloody annoying... Don't know if it was just a cable thing or what but man it's frustrating...

Pixie
Old 22nd May 2007, 16:03     #12
Spoon1
Mmm... Sacrilicious

Quote:
Originally Posted by [Malks] Pixie
Well just to follow up on my post from yesterday - had problems with our reception again last night and lost a couple of channels for about an hour - really bloody annoying... Don't know if it was just a cable thing or what but man it's frustrating...

Pixie
Old-school analogue or digital?
Old 22nd May 2007, 17:20     #13
Genesis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoon1
Analogue Cable has a smaller selection of channels than Digital Cable/Sky Digital but I know there were some problems in the past with compression on the Digital Cable service - I think they've been ironed out though.

I'm still on Analogue simply because we're lazy and it's a little bit cheaper
I loved our old analogue cable decoder. Extremely responsive, never crashed and it displayed the time on the front, fucken ace!

I'll have to see if I can revert back and wait for TC to release some form of PVR functionality.
Old 22nd May 2007, 17:42     #14
[Malks] Pixie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoon1
Old-school analogue or digital?
Digital I believe. We were on the analogue in our old place but went to digital when we shifted and got internet too...

Weird cause we never had problems before (on the old setup) - this was definate signal disruption, pixilated, pausing audio, unwatchable basically... Hasn't happened often, but often enough (and at the most annoying times) to piss us off.

Pixie
Old 22nd May 2007, 21:29     #15
StN
I have detailed files

Bah - he didn't come back - and just after I'd arranged for a chap at the pub (ex Kordia) to use three of his professional monitors for side by side comparison.
Old 22nd May 2007, 23:03     #16
Pimp-X
Drunken Annoying
Superhero Bastard

Quote:
Originally Posted by StN
Bah - he didn't come back - and just after I'd arranged for a chap at the pub (ex Kordia) to use three of his professional monitors for side by side comparison.
It'd be better to use a Rohde and Schwarz DVQA.

At least, that's what a professional would do.
Old 23rd May 2007, 09:49     #17
StN
I have detailed files

That would be cool, but seeing as he was made redundant last month, he probably can't get one - altough he does have a crap load of gear in his basement - including a remotely controlled ex-TVNZ camera mounted on his garage roof in a massive PVC tube to look at the moon.
Old 23rd May 2007, 10:33     #18
Pimp-X
Drunken Annoying
Superhero Bastard

Why doesn't he just go outside?
Old 23rd May 2007, 12:16     #19
StN
I have detailed files

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pimp-X
Why doesn't he just go outside?
It was one of those "Because I can" things. I'm pretty sure he missed seeing the moon from his basement. I haven't seen it working, but I think he has it auto tracking and zoomed into the level you get when the camera man at a day/night cricket match gets bored.