NZGames.com Forums
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Go Back   NZGames.com Forums > General > Open Discussion
User Name
Password

Old 25th February 2010, 11:49     #1441
Nerral

Maddox was an outside cat, we got him as a stray and he slept outside most nights, there was no way we could have kept him indoors. But if you had kittens who never had a problem with being indoors I totally understand that.
Old 25th February 2010, 12:36     #1442
Danjah

have you ever factored in your pets when moving in to a new place? the house we have leased is very out of the way of busy roads and/or cars. the only roads near our residence both have dead ends, so means no speeding cars.

should i have to move to a new residence, i would certainly only look for places located on roads that are not on or near busy areas...which i suppose isn't hard at all when you live in the hilly areas of eastern suburbs

food for thought though, perhaps if you are considering owning cats again, try and factor in the safety of your kitties before making a decision?
Old 25th February 2010, 13:54     #1443
Jodi

I lived on a main road and lost 5 cats to it.

I now live on a road off a road off a main road. Not only are my cats alive, but it's heaps quieter! (and i'm nowhere near a motorway too!)
Old 25th February 2010, 13:58     #1444
Fx.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpx
At the risk of being an asshole, perhaps some owners shouldn't have wandering animals close to roads or traffic. Especially after 5-6 cats...
hah was over the space of 15 years, in 6 different houses while was growing up as a kid

last one i lost pissed me off, i lived on a main road and it was an outside cat, fine for 2 years, then moved to a culdesac and it got run over like 2 months later
Old 25th February 2010, 14:55     #1445
Markh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danjah
have you ever factored in your pets when moving in to a new place?
I would prefer a cul-de-sac for the lesser amount of noise, the safer environment for a pet would be a nice bonus. My previous house was down a cul-de-sac and my mother lives on one too. My last cat lived at my mothers and lived to be quite old - but she would run a mile if there was a car approaching so she was pretty safe from being run over.

I have never owned an 'indoor' cat - just plenty of cats that spend a lot of time sleeping inside.
Old 3rd March 2010, 20:50     #1446
BWDOWN

Well my bengal learnt a hard lesson tonight.. Climbed the neighbours cabbage tree and then thought the only way to get down was jump onto the neighbours roof.

So he climbed higher and higher then fell about 6-7M down the tree a few branches breaking his fall till he hit the soft dirt beneath..

Limped away stunned now is running around madly as per normal haha. Seems fine
Old 3rd March 2010, 21:50     #1447
Pepsi
Konnichiwa, bitches

My 16 + year old cat, Kitty.. too old to give a shit.

Old 4th March 2010, 01:17     #1448
eff tee

^^ awesome. Can just imagine the look on the cat's face. "Bring it"
Old 4th March 2010, 08:08     #1449
Kryten

That pic needs to be followed by a bullet time sequence, although the ducks appear to be falling into the trap of attacking one by one.
Old 5th March 2010, 09:54     #1450
Danjah

Quote:
Originally Posted by BWDOWN
Well my bengal learnt a hard lesson tonight.. Climbed the neighbours cabbage tree and then thought the only way to get down was jump onto the neighbours roof.

So he climbed higher and higher then fell about 6-7M down the tree a few branches breaking his fall till he hit the soft dirt beneath..

Limped away stunned now is running around madly as per normal haha. Seems fine

haha, epic! our bengal girl is insane at the moment, in the space of 3 days she has knocked 2 pot plants off our mantlepiece and smashed 2 mugs and a glass tumbler from scaling our kitchen cupboards :/ carnage indeed

have setup the clothes horse inside the house, so hopefully she gets her climbing fix from scaling that instead, whilst we are at work.
Old 5th March 2010, 12:59     #1451
dylan
Huh?

my gf needs a (better) hobby
Old 6th March 2010, 01:38     #1452
BWDOWN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danjah
haha, epic! our bengal girl is insane at the moment, in the space of 3 days she has knocked 2 pot plants off our mantlepiece and smashed 2 mugs and a glass tumbler from scaling our kitchen cupboards :/ carnage indeed

have setup the clothes horse inside the house, so hopefully she gets her climbing fix from scaling that instead, whilst we are at work.
Yea Benji climbs everything and anything from furniture and trees to curtains and walls

Also found a bengal pic with rare turquoise eyes...

Looks INCREDIBLE

Last edited by BWDOWN : 6th March 2010 at 01:39.
Old 6th March 2010, 15:44     #1453
chiQ
Frag-muff

It looks to me like someone has ramped up the saturation in that picture.
Old 6th March 2010, 17:10     #1454
crocos

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiQ
It looks to me like someone has ramped up the saturation in that picture.
Indeed - not subtle at all. Contrast and colour-balance are also mucked with; I reckon those eyes were normal green eyes.

On the other hand, NAILED that DoF.

وكل يوم كنت تعيش في العبودية

Last edited by crocos : 6th March 2010 at 17:11.
Old 9th March 2010, 23:00     #1455
xpandnz

Came home from my parents in-laws, went into the kitchen, saw the cat had a mouse.

Very impressed that it knew where it should eat it.

Wife picked it up while I grabbed the cat. I have never heard a mouse scream in my life like that.

Very interesting thing to come home to. Haha!
Old 9th March 2010, 23:24     #1456
xpandnz

Quote:
Originally Posted by xpandnz
Came home from my in-laws, went into the kitchen, saw the cat had a mouse.

Very impressed that it knew where it should eat it.

Wife picked it up while I grabbed the cat. I have never heard a mouse scream in my life like that.

Very interesting thing to come home to. Haha!
Fixed.

Damn 5 min edit.
Old 10th March 2010, 01:18     #1457
crocos

Smart cat

Old 10th March 2010, 10:35     #1458
mpx

Count yourself lucky.
Yesterday Rocky decided he'd go out and get me a "present". He would drop it at my feet and move it forward to me, as if he was saying "You take."

I'm saying, "No I'm good."
He's saying, "You take?"
"No, I'm good."
"You take!!!"
"IM GOOD!"
"Okay I look over this way, if you take while not looking, I happy"
"fuuuuu*gets camera*"

It's a common occurrence, he eventually gives up and then goes to my dog.
"You take?"
"I take, I bury."
Old 10th March 2010, 10:47     #1459
Saladin
Nothing to See Here!

Fluffy girl cat has recently taken to bringing in cocoons, weird long skinny brown ones, several a day.. Better than bringing in baby birds at least.. I hope they're moth cocoons, I hate moths.
Old 10th March 2010, 11:59     #1460
Markh

I used to have a cat that like to hunt - she was a great cat and I miss her heaps. I remember one time she came up to me with a mouse in her mouth and dropped it at my feet. Then she chewed its head off! Lovely!!!

I remember when I used to stop at the dairy on the way home from school and buy a packet of salt & vinegar chips, then I would continue home and me and the cat would share the chips.
Old 10th March 2010, 16:07     #1461
dylan
Huh?

cats are funny like that eh, i had a girlfriend once whose cat was SO obssessed with ice cream, if you were eating ice cream or had been eating ice cream he would literally try to stick his head in your mouth to lick some up

it was so hot
Old 10th March 2010, 17:49     #1462
xpandnz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markh
I remember when I used to stop at the dairy on the way home from school and buy a packet of salt & vinegar chips, then I would continue home and me and the cat would share the chips.
Interesting. I wasn't aware that cats enjoyed such acidic tasting foods. Ours certainly don't.
Old 10th March 2010, 17:56     #1463
crocos

My parents cat often forces open the cupboard and rips (literally) into the chips. Favourites are S&V and Ready Salted.

Will rip open Cheese & Onion and Sour Cream flavours but WILL NOT eat them.

Same cat (when he was a kitten) has been known to drag a loaf of bread bigger than him into a hiding place and eat some & shred the rest. Nowdays he just bugs Dad for bites of his sandwich.

Old 15th March 2010, 13:36     #1464
Pleb'a

A very different encounter yesterday while out walking the dog. I was coming back from the park, the usual ball tossing exercise and casual agility around the playground (over/under/through obstacles) to wear her out in the evenings and as I was sitting her to cross the road, I noticed a group of people in a car. They were all staring at me.

As I crossed the road, they started getting out of the car and saw it was an older lady with her husband and daughter (no she wasn't hot).

They walked up to me and said "Hi", I said "Hi". They went on and on about her coat, how shiny it was in the sun and they couldn't keep their eyes off her. They went up to her and gave her a pat (a month ago, she would have shown her teeth and snarled, a lot of work has gone into her) but she wagged her tail while receiving affection.

They then went on and asked about 50 questions, her breed, health, name, how old, what we feed her (in no particular order) and then the question came I somewhat expected to come arrived, is she able to be bred from ?

It all came clear, this woman was a show dog person (had plenty of experience in my younger years heading to nationals and such but it had been a while since I had been around someone like that).

I tried to distract her with the fact she is cross, and I know that doesn't go down well at dog shows (maybe they've changed ?). But she couldn't get over her, and applauded me for keeping her in such great health.

Gave me a bit of a high afterwards, the last 6 months has been a hard road to rehabilitating her to being less aggressive on leash and at home, but after that and how approachable she must have been, it's working.

Last edited by Pleb'a : 15th March 2010 at 13:38.
Old 15th March 2010, 14:56     #1465
dylan
Huh?

Was totally sure that was gonna turn into a Dear Penthouse at some point
Old 15th March 2010, 15:27     #1466
crocos

Quote:
Originally Posted by dylan
In the "post your pet" thread? There's probably other "publications" that handle that material.

Old 15th March 2010, 16:27     #1467
Lightspeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleb'a
I tried to distract her with the fact she is cross, and I know that doesn't go down well at dog shows (maybe they've changed ?). But she couldn't get over her, and applauded me for keeping her in such great health.
Sweet bro. I assume the animal hasn't been de-sexed?
Old 15th March 2010, 16:48     #1468
Matt0r

our ragdoll Mogly, the pic is a couple months old now, he's gettin biggg.
and placid my ass, this guy is a ball of fluff, claws and teeth.
Old 15th March 2010, 16:53     #1469
Pleb'a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightspeed
Sweet bro. I assume the animal hasn't been de-sexed?
Has, part of the SPCA adoption process. I'm not too keen on the of buying a high powered water blaster while the female is in heat scenario (been there, done that, seen the weird shit the dogs try to do just to mate through a fence)
Old 15th March 2010, 17:00     #1470
Pleb'a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt0r
I see a cat like that around our neighbourhood, awesome smokey colouring.
Old 15th March 2010, 17:02     #1471
Pleb'a

Quote:
Originally Posted by dylan
I may have to change career.
Old 15th March 2010, 17:12     #1472
Lightspeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt0r
Cute cat, cool name.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleb'a
Has, part of the SPCA adoption process. I'm not too keen on the of buying a high powered water blaster while the female is in heat scenario (been there, done that, seen the weird shit the dogs try to do just to mate through a fence)
I guess cloning might be a viable option these days.
Old 15th March 2010, 17:42     #1473
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpx
Count yourself lucky.
Yesterday Rocky decided he'd go out and get me a "present". He would drop it at my feet and move it forward to me, as if he was saying "You take."

I'm saying, "No I'm good."
He's saying, "You take?"
"No, I'm good."
"You take!!!"
"IM GOOD!"
"Okay I look over this way, if you take while not looking, I happy"
"fuuuuu*gets camera*"

[img]http://hellameke.com/images/rgh1268166785b.jpg[img]

It's a common occurrence, he eventually gives up and then goes to my dog.
"You take?"
"I take, I bury."
Best imaginary pet dialogue post of the day.
Old 15th March 2010, 18:16     #1474
Lightspeed

Fuckin' cat. I'm all trying to nap it up so Titus decides he wants to play, with the leaping and the meowing. I'm finally roused from my slumber and what does the cat do? Take a nap.
Old 18th March 2010, 15:34     #1475
Lightspeed

Can anyone recommend a delicious treat I can use for Titus for training him to walk on a lead?

He's quite happy with the lead and the harness, he just needs encouragement to follow me when I walk.

I have to say this cat is fast as a bullet. He got outside when I didn't really want him to, I saw him, I blinked, he was gone. It'll be interesting to see how long he can sustain a running pace at, I wouldn't mind taking him on short jogs if I can train him up proper. He looks bad-ass when he's in full gallop.
Old 18th March 2010, 16:11     #1476
Pleb'a

Looks like I might be adopting a second dog from the SPCA:
http://www.wellingtonspca.org.nz/ado...e/1303/cossack

Nearly identical dog to my current one, except he has white, is male and a bit younger.
Old 18th March 2010, 16:47     #1477
Danjah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightspeed
Can anyone recommend a delicious treat I can use for Titus for training him to walk on a lead?

He's quite happy with the lead and the harness, he just needs encouragement to follow me when I walk.

I have to say this cat is fast as a bullet. He got outside when I didn't really want him to, I saw him, I blinked, he was gone. It'll be interesting to see how long he can sustain a running pace at, I wouldn't mind taking him on short jogs if I can train him up proper. He looks bad-ass when he's in full gallop.

any sort of fresh meat works a treat eh, i just pick bits out of a jimbos pottle and chop them up nice and small

those cereal snack things are stupidly overpriced for what they are. not like a cat will ever turn their nose up at a bloody bit of flesh

don't get too hung up on the leash thing tbh eh, the leash is primarily there to make sure they don't bolt on you. the cat will walk you, not you walk him haha.
Old 4th April 2010, 22:27     #1478
Lightspeed

I'm having a problem with Titus that I could use some advice on. Titus has taken to peeing anywhere but his litter box. Well, he doesn't pee anywhere, but on soft things like clothes, blankets, etc. This is even when is litter box is clean (as far as I can tell) and he has easy access to it.

I'm not really sure what to do about it. Any ideas?
Old 6th April 2010, 13:37     #1479
Danjah

hmm thats odd, has he just started doing that or like has he always had issues from when you first got him?

if its a recent change, is there anything out of the ordinary that has changed? eg: position of tray, amount of litter in box, type of litter?

Do you use any strong ammonia based cleaners round the house that could be fucking up the cats sense of smell as to the right spot to do his biz?

i would try picking him up after he's had a bite to eat and plopping him down in his litter and holding his paws and giving the litter a bit of a scratch, normally that makes them go "oh this digging is sweet!' and then they want to hae a go by themselves.

bit odd that he wants to pee where he can't scratch and hide his scent. There's no way another unfamiliar cat(s) been using his box or anything, through a cat flap or open window maybe?

Last edited by Danjah : 6th April 2010 at 13:38.
Old 6th April 2010, 14:02     #1480
StN
I have detailed files

First hunt of the season last Sunday - The Easter Bunny Hunt. Heaps of dogs turned out - including one chap (who looks just like Crocos) who had a trailer full of Basset hounds. God their feet are ugly - they look like alien tree stumps.

Unfortunately the daughter dressed herself, and realised that short shorts aren't the best things to go climbing through gorse in during a rainshower, so we had to cut it short. But the upside was revealed when the hunt master asked for people to turn up next week (not a normal hunt week) for a filming session for some Animal program on TVNZ6 that wants to do an article on Beagle hunts - so I'll have to get up early that weekend too. Might remember to take some pics this time.