NZGames.com Forums
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Go Back   NZGames.com Forums > General > Open Discussion
User Name
Password

Old 11th April 2022, 01:50     #1281
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

I think people who have experienced positive trauma from one specific group of people should be able to receive support and succour in environments from which that specific group of people is excluded. Like, right now I wouldn't be offering Ukrainian women refuge in places where they might turn around and see people in Russian army uniforms. I don't give a fuck if that Russian-army-uniform-wearer identifies as something else. For the sake of the traumatised people, no Russian-army-uniform-wearers allowed in here.
Old 12th April 2022, 16:24     #1282
Lightspeed

Well you can go ahead and set up such a place and offer all the succour you want to whomever you want. If your service is genuine you'll have in place a bunch of hurdles to protect your service and clients from being overwhelmed by creepers, looky-loos and those who would be better helped elsewhere. As part of this process you can ensure that only the right kind of woman is able to participate in your service.

If this is something that matters to you, there is a use for any resources you are willing to commit.

That's what most of such services are: concerned people and groups setting up the services for those they think are in need of support. Public services are heavily triaged, you're not finding care except where you meet considerable criteria.
Old 12th April 2022, 17:05     #1283
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightspeed

If this is something that matters to you, there is a use for any resources you are willing to commit.

That's what most of such services are: concerned people and groups setting up the services for those they think are in need of support.
And yet this concept never seems to have entered the heads of transgender activists, who resile from the idea of setting up transgender care facilities and instead demand access to those created for women.
Old 12th April 2022, 17:18     #1284
Lightspeed

Individuals and groups can make any demands they like.

If you're running a successful service, you're already adept at guarding your space. You're used to people desperately pleading, angrily demanding entry. Or closure, better use of little public funding you might enjoy.
Old 12th April 2022, 17:35     #1285
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Quote:

A Vancouver organization that provides shelter and services for rape victims and women fleeing domestic violence has become the target of violent graffiti.

Earlier this year, the City of Vancouver cut nearly $34,000 in funding to Vancouver Rape Relief and Women's Shelter, citing its policy of not accepting trans women.

On Tuesday, staff with the Vancouver Rape Relief and Women’s Shelter (VRRWS), Canada’s oldest rape crisis centre, arrived to find graffiti scrawled across the windows of the organization’s Kingsway education centre, including the messages “TERFS go home you are not welcome” and “Kill TERFS.”

https://globalnews.ca/news/5824446/v...lter-graffiti/

hearts and minds
Old 12th April 2022, 17:43     #1286
Lightspeed

You can't treat gender issues as being generated by a coherent group or set of principles.

Unless you're engaging in a political/tribal fight that you're looking to win. Then of course, it makes absolute sense to hunt down any kind of poor behaviour and attribute it to this single, coherent movement.
Old 12th April 2022, 19:44     #1287
Lightspeed

This is what "support and succour" looks like in NZ for a rape victim:

I was raped, then ruined by the systems that were supposed to help me
Old 12th April 2022, 19:50     #1288
Cyberbob

It's the wild west of gender related guidelines and rules at the moment.

Until there's a more standardized method of how to approach the topic without immediately being labeled an insensitive asshole, you're gonna have a whole array of unintended consequences.

Equality in sports! OK, we've removed all woman specific leagues, and now no woman is fast/strong enough to qualify. No, not like that!

Schools must do everything they can for gender fluid students! Little Timmy decided he's Little Tammy today, and now he's perving on the girls in the locker room. No, not like that!

Sports must accept transgender! LillyBron James scores record 700 points in her first game in the WNBA. No, not like that!

But who am I to say how to handle those topics. I'm a white CIS male insensitive asshole.

Last edited by Cyberbob : 12th April 2022 at 19:53.
Old 14th April 2022, 10:03     #1289
xor

NYC subway shooter

Black people can't be racist against white people because it's all about power, right?

https://twitter.com/NuanceBro/status...53452829179904
Old 14th April 2022, 14:54     #1290
fixed_truth

Umm ... yeah. Unless you think that this shooting somehow changes the power & privilege dynamics of US society & institutions?
Old 14th April 2022, 16:02     #1291
Lightspeed

facepalm

Yeah! It's the blacks' turn to have a taste, amirite?! Now they're the bad guys! Which means I'm the good guy again. Horah!
Old 14th April 2022, 21:36     #1292
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Women’s prison inmates pregnant after sex with transgender prisoner

https://flip.it/FM6rp-

Another victory for equality! Now female prisoners can’t pick up the soap either.
Old 14th April 2022, 22:16     #1293
xor

Quote:
Originally Posted by fixed_truth
Umm ... yeah. Unless you think that this shooting somehow changes the power & privilege dynamics of US society & institutions?
It did for the shooter, didn't it?
Old 15th April 2022, 00:08     #1294
fixed_truth

How? I'm pretty sure he'll be going to jail for the rest of his life.
Old 15th April 2022, 05:17     #1295
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Quote:

Have you heard about Aperture 2025?

It may sound like a Roland Emmerich sci-fi movie, but it’s actually more frightening. And much more controversial. It’s the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences’s latest initiative to make Hollywood more equitable and diverse—more woke—by changing the rules by which films are eligible for Best Picture nominations. Here’s how it works: Starting in 2024, producers will be required to submit a summation of the race, gender, sexual orientation, and disability status of members of their movie’s cast and crew. If a particular movie does not have enough people of color or disabled people or gays or lesbians working on the set—and what is “enough” will be determined by a knotty tangle of byzantine formularies—then that movie will no longer be eligible for an Oscar.

https://www.lamag.com/culturefiles/a...oscars-over-2/
That’s so unrealistic, as if anyone cares about lesbians, do they even exist?
Old 15th April 2022, 05:51     #1296
xor

Quote:
How? I'm pretty sure he'll be going to jail for the rest of his life.
He asserted power and control over other individuals and took their lives away from them.
Old 15th April 2022, 12:06     #1297
fixed_truth

Power in in the context of racism (rather than racial prejudice) is about systemic power and privilege exercised over another on the basis of skin colour.

This guys prejudice motivated killings means that these individuals no longer have ANY social and economic privileges, because they're dead. The social attitudes, structures and actions which oppress and discriminate blacks while privileging whites remain.
Old 15th April 2022, 12:35     #1298
xor

Ok, I get it. You believe that collectively all white people are racist eh?
Old 15th April 2022, 13:28     #1299
Lightspeed

Oof, I get that sounds clever to you xor, but all you're doing is showing off how you struggle with nuanced concepts.

Or you're just a racist who is angry they don't get to be racist.

Are you really about that? Really?
Old 15th April 2022, 13:48     #1300
xor

I believe that most people are good people. Black, white, whatever.

I believe people like you and fixed truth want to divide people into separate groups and create conflict between those people.
Old 15th April 2022, 13:56     #1301
Lightspeed

xor, people are already divided into groups and pitted against each other, and this has been the case long before f_t and I existed. My 70 year old neighbour telling me his thoughts about the Indians and the Maoris had those thoughts before I was born.

Your ideas of people being good are nice, but there's more than just people going on. There are forces and phenomena that are greater than individuals or even groups. Like biology, evolutionary traits, environmental events, geography. All these things shape and compel us, often beyond our awareness.

But you don't get that do you? You reckon that's just some fancy talk I've cooked up to try and divide our united, harmonious population. For the lolz of it.

Last edited by Lightspeed : 15th April 2022 at 13:57.
Old 15th April 2022, 13:57     #1302
xor

ok cool. So, based on your own rationale you are a racist white male that belongs to a system where it oppresses non white people.

Can you please provide examples of your own individual examples where you have oppressed non-whites?
Old 15th April 2022, 14:09     #1303
Lightspeed

You're trying to pin everything on individuals. But I'm engaging in systems of oppression any time I say the right words in the right way to get the things I want, things that would be denied those who don't know how or are unwilling to align themselves with the dominant culture.

Of course, I could just point to the time I crossed the road to avoid those brown people, was less patient with someone who seemed strange to me than I would someone familiar, etc., etc.

But what is the point of that? You'll just say it's me that's racist, but you've never done a racist thing in your life. And unlike most other humans, you have perfect memory and in no way repress or suppress unflattering memories of yourself. And so you'll know people talking about racism are the bad people. While you are the good person you think most people are.

That's what we'd find in your comment history, your reflections on the good nature of humanity?
Old 15th April 2022, 14:15     #1304
xor

Cop out, as usual Jeremy.
Old 15th April 2022, 14:20     #1305
Lightspeed

Show us how your comment history is coherent with your belief most people are good.

You wouldn't cop out on us would you Mavis?
Old 15th April 2022, 14:24     #1306
xor

The internet is not real life. Sorry to break it to you.
Old 15th April 2022, 14:25     #1307
Lightspeed

Mavis of the Vapours, that is a stone cold cop out.
Old 15th April 2022, 14:28     #1308
xor

I'm not the one claiming collective guilt. That's your jam.
Old 15th April 2022, 14:40     #1309
Lightspeed

Nope, that's your disingenuous characterisation. Cop out Mavis eh? Who would have guessed.

Cop out Mavis. /shakes head
Old 15th April 2022, 14:41     #1310
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

I WILL TURN THIS THING AROUND
Old 15th April 2022, 16:04     #1311
fixed_truth

Cheesy grin

Rip Moana Jackson
Old 15th April 2022, 17:21     #1312
Cyberbob

Cunning linguist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ab
That’s so unrealistic, as if anyone cares about lesbians, do they even exist?
Pretty sure I saw them in a documentary or two a few years ago by renowned director Andrew Blake.
Old 15th April 2022, 19:29     #1313
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Quote:
TikTok blocked here. Summary?
Old 15th April 2022, 21:27     #1314
fixed_truth

Maori high prison population per capita is comparable to Australia, Canada & the US indigenous peoples. This is not because indigenous people are more genetically disposed to commit crime, rather they have a long history of colonisation, where land, power & culture were decimated. The generational trauma from this and the racism from this is inherent in the justice system.
Old 15th April 2022, 23:24     #1315
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

That ain’t political correctness gone mad, that’s reality.
Old 16th April 2022, 00:37     #1316
Lightspeed

Why you gotta divide us Ab?
Old 17th April 2022, 19:32     #1317
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Quote:

BOXING NZ ACCUSED OF BEING ANTI-TRANS BY RAINBOW BOXING ORGANISATION

https://gayexpress.co.nz/2022/04/box...-organisation/
Damn their eyes
Old 25th April 2022, 15:35     #1318
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Because liberals opened the door

https://metro.co.uk/2022/04/12/ex-so...blic-16454386/
Old 25th April 2022, 15:47     #1319
Lightspeed

Ab, you remind me of the local racist who keeps clippings of wrongdoing by Maoris as justification for their beliefs.
Old 25th April 2022, 21:52     #1320
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Are you denying the comedic gold of that news headline?