NZGames.com Forums
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Go Back   NZGames.com Forums > General > Open Discussion > The year of rugby
User Name
Password

Old 13th February 2007, 11:14     #1
caffiend

Australia getting worried already; or mind games?

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au...-23217,00.html
Old 13th February 2007, 16:59     #2
badassmofo

Mind games. We know the Aussies will be as confident as ever, and they play the underdog well. They should never be underestimated. Just their mentality is enough to pull them through even against a superior side.
Old 13th February 2007, 17:23     #3
Rince
SLUTS!!!!!!!

aussies, schmaussies.....

its the 'Boks I think we need to be wary of......
Old 13th February 2007, 17:29     #4
TnT

Boks schmoks, those fucking Frenchies...
Old 13th February 2007, 19:21     #5
BoyWonder

IMO it's the All Blacks themselves that we should be worried about...
Old 14th February 2007, 06:14     #6
CCS
Stunt Pants

As in, the All Blacks becoming overconfident? Yeah, could be... but I'd count on Henry to keep their egos in check.
Old 14th February 2007, 18:38     #7
BoyWonder

Yeah fair point - hopefully the old cliche of the All Blacks stumbling when it comes to the big ones is being taken care of this time around. If they can manage that then I honestly think that noone else will come close purely on skills and strategy. Australia and South Africa probably are the only other real contenders. Australia in particular has a knack of pulling it together when it counts and everything seems to start going their way.
Old 14th February 2007, 18:55     #8
Simon
SHG

The RWC is a fucking lottery, so I'm not counting ANYONE out.
Old 15th February 2007, 10:42     #9
caffiend

Well if 2003 was anything to go by, Australia sure lifted their game when they played NZ in the semi. They were monumental that day, just throwing themselves at everything, sticking passes, contesting breakdowns with aggression, tackling like madmen. Compared to how they'd been playing previously it was a big jump.

The ABs in comparison weren't actually that bad on a technical level - they just weren't at the same level of commitment or confidence as Australia and seemed to get rattled. In my opinion that was down to having a pool that really didn't test them, then getting a little bit complacent following the admittedly pretty good quarter against SA. They just didn't seem fired up.

It was incredible how comparatively lacklustre Aussie was when they played England. As well as the injuries sustained against the ABs they just seemed to be tuckered out with the effort. It's like they expended all their energy beating NZ and couldn't carry it through another game.

This year I just hope the players want to really win every game. I want to see massive scores against Italy, Uruguay (or Portugal), Scotland and Romania . No mercy - play each one as if it was France, or SA. Send a message to the other 'top-seed' teams that they're not fucking around. If they mentally really want it, and have the belief they can win it, then as BoyWonder says, no one will beat them for technical skill.
Old 4th March 2007, 04:37     #10
slippers

No wins for the Aussie teams this weekend and one of the games was Aussie vs Aussie..........very sad.
Old 4th March 2007, 14:55     #11
farns

The Boks will be big and beefy and snorting in the 3N, I predict they will pwn the Aussies in at least one test , humiliating their forward pack and providing mirth and merriment to everyone else
Then they will fly to France full of boerwurst and good cheer with their lederhosen on and get pwnd because they are playing in Europe
Aussie will not make the final because my nerves couldnt stand it if they did