Go Back   NZGames.com Forums > General > Open Discussion
User Name
Password

Old 23rd August 2008, 13:09     #2401
Redneck

So basically, watch some Gordon Ramsay.
Old 23rd August 2008, 13:11     #2402
Haydos

No, Gordon Ramsay would more than likely serve an eye fillet in a Beef Wellington, drizzled with gravy and sided with greens.
Old 23rd August 2008, 13:12     #2403
Redneck

That's one way he might serve it, he also does exactly what you said.
Old 23rd August 2008, 13:18     #2404
Haydos

Doubtful, he never cooks with butter, nor does he season his meat with anything but salt. He uses all his seasoning in the sauce.
Old 23rd August 2008, 13:21     #2405
Redneck

Looks like you've got a lot of The F Word to watch
Old 23rd August 2008, 13:31     #2406
Redneck

Actually now that I think about it, we're both right - he does cook steak with butter, but not with herbs.
Old 23rd August 2008, 13:47     #2407
Hazmat
I Like Toast

Light oil in the bottom of an extremely hot pan. Sear one side and cook for a further 15-20 seconds, then turn and place a small knob of butter on the cooked side.
Cook for a further 30 seconds or so (adjust times depending on the thickness of the cut and preferred "doneness"). Leave to rest on a cutting board or plate until no more juices are seeping from the bottom of the steak.

Straight from the F-Word a few weeks ago. I was quite surprised to see Gordon using butter for cooking too, which is why it stuck in my memory.
Old 23rd August 2008, 13:57     #2408
Mickey

He uses butter a lot. On his weekly show (not the F word), he was scrfeaming at someone to start again and there was a massive tub of butter she was scraping it out of.

Butter cooking is the best. Tastes so much nicer.
Old 23rd August 2008, 14:44     #2409
xor

Looks like a lot of foodies in here, maybe there should be a cooking forum or something?
Old 23rd August 2008, 14:57     #2410
Haydos

I never watch F Word, worthwhile? I've only seen his stuff on Hell Kitchen.
Old 23rd August 2008, 15:07     #2411
Hazmat
I Like Toast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haydos
I never watch F Word, worthwhile? I've only seen his stuff on Hell Kitchen.
It's very worthwhile. Hell's Kitchen is Gordon yelling.
F-Word is Gordon cooking.
Old 23rd August 2008, 15:07     #2412
Word

Hells kitchen doesn't show him cooking much. Just swearing and putting others down.

He puts rosemary with his steak while in the oven, but then it depends on the recipe.
Old 23rd August 2008, 17:26     #2413
Helious

The F Word fucking owns if you want to learn a thing or two about cooking.
Old 24th August 2008, 08:16     #2414
StN
I have detailed files

I dropped into the paint shop yesterday, and a series of events nearly had me pissing myself. As I wandered in, the paint dude said "Hi" and asked if there was anything he could help with. He was a youngish chap, dressed all in black, with a black single breasted jacket on over black stovepipes, possibly winkle pickers, and long black hair. Not your normal Resene Colour consultant, but nice enough. So I picked my paint, and he mixed in the tonal variants I needed. Then he moved to the hand crank mixing thing, and that's when I nearly lost it. If his hair was blonde, and not black, it would have looked just like that scene from Rocky Horror, where Riff Raff is turning the red wheel thingy.
Old 24th August 2008, 10:55     #2415
DrTiTus
HENCE WHY FOREVER ALONE

Quote:
Originally Posted by StN
it would have looked just like that scene from Rocky Horror, where Riff Raff is turning the red wheel thingy.
lol!

"Throw open the switches on the sonic oscillator!"

I used to love watching that movie as a kid - I never realised how bizarre it was.
Old 24th August 2008, 11:42     #2416
Ajax
Architeuthis

I've got the flu, and this morning picked up some Sudafed from the chemist. Taking a look at the box, I see they've actually sold me Sudafed PE, which has phenylephedrine instead of pseudoephedrine. Phenyl is a poor cousin of pseudo, and recent studies suggest it doesn't work as a decongestant at all!

I realise this has come about because of NZ's meth problem, but it would be nice to have the option of buying medication that's not just snake oil. Anyone know if pseudo-based products are still available over the counter?
Old 24th August 2008, 12:32     #2417
DrTiTus
HENCE WHY FOREVER ALONE

M0f0s are sissy with their need for flu medication

Who even gets sick?

Harrdddddenupau
Old 24th August 2008, 12:33     #2418
crocos

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrTiTus
Who even gets sick?
Me

وكل يوم كنت تعيش في العبودية
Old 24th August 2008, 12:43     #2419
CCS
Stunt Pants

Does Codral still have the psuedo in it?
Old 24th August 2008, 12:54     #2420
crocos

Nyet: Not the OTC one anyway.

Old 24th August 2008, 13:55     #2421
Draco T Bastard

Quantum reverse engineering.
Old 24th August 2008, 14:19     #2422
Baal

Quote:
Who even gets sick?
People that inject themselves with flu virus every year seem to get sick a lot. I've never seen the point myself.
Old 24th August 2008, 14:27     #2423
crocos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baal
People that inject themselves with flu virus every year seem to get sick a lot. I've never seen the point myself.
I've tried it twice: Got full-on flu almost immediately after both times, decided never making THAT mistake again.

Old 24th August 2008, 14:27     #2424
Lightspeed

Flu vaccination makes sense for oldies and very youngies I think, but for your average healthy person, it's seems pretty dumb. Then again, I am not sure what percentage of people are really that healthy.
Old 24th August 2008, 14:28     #2425
Ajax
Architeuthis

Quote:
Who even gets sick?
Internet Tough Guys certainly don't!
Old 24th August 2008, 14:28     #2426
crocos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightspeed
Flu vaccination makes sense for oldies and very youngies I think, but for your average healthy person, it's seems pretty dumb. Then again, I am not sure what percentage of people are really that healthy.
Heh - not me

Old 24th August 2008, 15:25     #2427
Helious

Quote:
strange. 4 years running with flu jabs and I haven't had the flu in that time.
Old 24th August 2008, 15:32     #2428
Baal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helious-
strange. 4 years running with flu jabs and I haven't had the flu in that time.
Yeah my above statement obviously has no real grounding (given the sheer amount of factors that may contribute to someone getting sick/not), maybe I'd give it a try if I got sick, but I honestly can't remember the last time I had flu/sickness, so if it isn't broke etc.

I'd say it's probably down to genetics (and possibly age becomg a factor later) more than anything else. My family in general is always disgustingly healthy.
Old 24th August 2008, 15:43     #2429
Dan

/facepalm

Quote:
Influenza immunization improves immunity against influenza viruses (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Influenza). It doesn't make any difference to other viruses or pathogens e.g. "colds" that people get.
Edit: Having said that people that get sick a lot are probably more likely to get the flu, either because they're coming in contact with more people likely to be infected (schools/kids in large numbers in close contact etc)

Quote:
Originally Posted by crocos
I've tried it twice: Got full-on flu almost immediately after both times, decided never making THAT mistake again.
You can't get the flu from the vaccine. Chances are you a) got a cold afterwards, called it "the flu", and attributed it to the vaccine, b) were unlucky and got infected by a strain that wasn't included in that years vaccine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightspeed
Chances are if you're exposed to the influenza virus, whether you're "healthy" or not, if you haven't got anti-bodies to that strain (i.e. had it before, or had a vaccination), you're going to get it. Flu =! cold. If you get a serious bout of the flu you'll see the point of the vaccine. Cold = runny nose, sore throat, can keep on doing stuff. Flu = fever, aching, exhaustion, can't do shit for 10 days.

Last edited by Dan : 24th August 2008 at 15:45.
Old 24th August 2008, 15:59     #2430
crocos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan
You can't get the flu from the vaccine. Chances are you a) got a cold afterwards, called it "the flu", and attributed it to the vaccine, b) were unlucky and got infected by a strain that wasn't included in that years vaccine.
More likely b) then as it was the aching/fever/exhausted/generally more of a useless cunt then normal. But given how soon after I started getting symptoms, I suspect that it will have had something to do with it - even if just weakening my system while the jab was integrating itself to get antibody production kicked off.

Interestingly though I haven't had those symptoms in the 5 years since I last had a flu jab... <shrug>

Last edited by crocos : 24th August 2008 at 16:02.
Old 24th August 2008, 16:21     #2431
Golden Teapot
Love, Actuary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan
You can't get the flu from the vaccine.
Of course. However, there are so many uneducatable people, that it's always possible to find countless individuals who will fight-to-the-death whilst claiming they got the flu from the vaccine.
Old 24th August 2008, 16:32     #2432
Baal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan
Influenza immunization improves immunity against influenza viruses (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Influenza). It doesn't make any difference to other viruses or pathogens e.g. "colds" that people get.
Ta for the link, I was totally unaware that some viruses are not other viruses.

While you could construe my post above as associating flu jabs with getting sick I'm really more interested in why some people just don't seem to get sick often.

Your point about being around sick or sheer volumes of people (esp. kids) is a good one. That said I know people who work day in day out around all kinds of contagious illnesses and they don't seem to fall ill often if at all.

*shrug*
Old 24th August 2008, 18:11     #2433
Draco T Bastard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan
You can't get the flu from the vaccine.
http://www.wisegeek.com/how-does-a-vaccine-work.htm
Quote:
Originally Posted by article
In their altered states, vaccine pathogens are typically safe and unable to cause disease.
The operative word is typically, there is a small chance that by being injected with the vaccine you will actually get the full blown disease.
Old 24th August 2008, 18:42     #2434
Ajax
Architeuthis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draco T Bastard

The operative word is typically, there is a small chance that by being injected with the vaccine you will actually get the full blown disease.
The injected form of the flu vaccine is inactivated (contains killed virus) and cannot possibly give you flu. Vaccines with attenuated (live) viruses may be a different story.

http://www.moh.govt.nz/moh.nsf/index...a-seasonal-faq
Old 24th August 2008, 19:24     #2435
Draco T Bastard

I didn't realise that we had become perfect recently.
Old 24th August 2008, 20:00     #2436
Ajax
Architeuthis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draco T Bastard
I didn't realise that we had become perfect recently.
Careful, you're straying into crackpot territory.
Old 24th August 2008, 20:20     #2437
Lightspeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan
Chances are if you're exposed to the influenza virus, whether you're "healthy" or not, if you haven't got anti-bodies to that strain (i.e. had it before, or had a vaccination), you're going to get it.
So why do I get sick less often than those I live/work with? I don't take any special precautions with hygiene.

I seem to get infected by the cold or flu much less than those around me.
Old 24th August 2008, 21:12     #2438
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Little things make a huge difference - washing your hands before eating, for example.
Old 24th August 2008, 21:20     #2439
Draco T Bastard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajax
Careful, you're straying into crackpot territory.
Just pointing out that there's a small chance that you can get the flue even from vaccines that have dead viruses in them. Viruses are notoriously hard to kill.
Old 24th August 2008, 21:50     #2440
Delphinus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ab
Little things make a huge difference - washing your hands before eating, for example.
What if you *dont* keep things super hygienic... therefore building up your immunity?