User Name
Password

Old 23rd January 2023, 22:25     #43601
blynk

Quote:
Originally Posted by _indigo1
https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/130...st-one-another

How tone deaf is this?

We are in a cost of living crisis, people are struggling to make ends meet, and we have a tongue-in-cheek article about well-off Waiheke residents having a great laugh at being cavalier about wasting food.
Geez, that's one helluva take on it. Or maybe its just one of the other fun story pieces that are written. Not everything is hardcore news, and if you look, there will be plenty of other stories about cost of living.
Old 26th January 2023, 14:26     #43602
Lightspeed

facepalm These people vote

Old 28th January 2023, 14:49     #43603
Cyberbob

Memphis prepares for riots & protests ahead of a police cam video being made public, showing cops beating a man to death.

The video's just been released. I'm not going to watch it, but I'm glad it's public.
Old 28th January 2023, 17:00     #43604
BoyWonder

This police unit is called the "Scorpion Unit"? That's some weird messaging for those who are meant to protect and serve.
Old 28th January 2023, 17:36     #43605
Lightspeed

This is pretty crazy:

Urgent public health warning issued over lost radioactive capsule in Western Australia
Old 29th January 2023, 13:42     #43606
StN
I have detailed files

WTF - stay 5m away from something that is 6mmx8mm? I'd be lucky to bloody see it from that distance! Why don't they hook up a detector under a truck and re-run the journey?
Old 30th January 2023, 16:57     #43607
wazza
*flex*

curiosity piqued so i signed up for chatgpt and started asking complex ansible/powershell scripting questions/techniques. i threw in complicated esxi shell command requirements and also included ubuntu in general as that's my daily.

blew me away. i can't believe how specific you can get with it and probe for more detail, and it will continually break things down and assist you, it's bizarre to me because there's no ego or emotion, just incredible how it responds.

i feel like a kid again

Last edited by wazza : 30th January 2023 at 16:58.
Old 2nd February 2023, 10:49     #43608
Savage

Quote:
Originally Posted by wazza
curiosity piqued so i signed up for chatgpt and started asking complex ansible/powershell scripting questions/techniques. i threw in complicated esxi shell command requirements and also included ubuntu in general as that's my daily.

blew me away. i can't believe how specific you can get with it and probe for more detail, and it will continually break things down and assist you, it's bizarre to me because there's no ego or emotion, just incredible how it responds.

i feel like a kid again
A couple of the more upwardly mobile service desk staff at my current client have started using ChatGPT to help them resolve calls for which they have no KB articles, and then asking it to compose the relevant KB article when they find a solution. It's bloody impressive how well it writes a technical document given the context and required language.
Old 2nd February 2023, 11:04     #43609
StN
I have detailed files

I've been trying to find a schematic online for a 5-pin Janome digital sewing machine PSU plug - nothing. Asked ChatGPT and it drew a word picture which it claimed was maybe a bit suspect, but on the face of it, looked pretty good.

I also asked for a 2000 word wedding speech for my niece in the style of Mr T - and it was awesome!
Old 2nd February 2023, 11:48     #43610
wazza
*flex*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage
A couple of the more upwardly mobile service desk staff at my current client have started using ChatGPT to help them resolve calls for which they have no KB articles, and then asking it to compose the relevant KB article when they find a solution. It's bloody impressive how well it writes a technical document given the context and required language.
yes!
Old 2nd February 2023, 12:51     #43611
StN
I have detailed files

Quote:
Originally Posted by StN
WTF - stay 5m away from something that is 6mmx8mm? I'd be lucky to bloody see it from that distance! Why don't they hook up a detector under a truck and re-run the journey?
Found it!

Looks like they ended up using blokes with handheld detectors walking along the road..?

Luckily the needle in the haystack was yelling pretty loudly!
Old 2nd February 2023, 15:28     #43612
Lightspeed

Lucky!

I wonder what the chances are of there being radioactive spiders and snakes roaming about now?
Old 5th February 2023, 15:12     #43613
_indigo1

A MISSILE to shoot down a balloon?
I mean - were the guns not working?

.. FUCK YEAH!
Old 5th February 2023, 19:20     #43614
Cyberbob

F-22's gotta get it's first confirmed missile kill somehow. Also, now they get to sign a new $400k purchase order.
Old 6th February 2023, 01:31     #43615
Lightspeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyberbob
F-22's gotta get it's first confirmed missile kill somehow. Also, now they get to sign a new $400k purchase order.
Old 6th February 2023, 17:54     #43616
MadMax
Stuff

Seeing a large number of you lot are in Aussie, explain this one to me.

Here in NZ a lot of drivers would travel at 105KM/H on the open road. I usually stick to around that on my speedo which if those convenient roadside speed indicators are to be trusted equates to 99/100/101. Of course there's always someone wanting to go faster than you no matter your speed.

Anyway, I'm curious: how does anyone get away with speeding in Aussie, cruising at say 110 km/h then bumping up their speed on passing lanes etc as I see a lot of cars doing here in NZ when the Australians can use any car as a mufti?

Maybe less people do hence half the road toll (amongst other things, less intersections?).

Here in NZ it's going to be a Holden with the 2nd antenna on the roof. Don't think I've seen any mufti Skodas yet

Last edited by MadMax : 6th February 2023 at 17:56.
Old 9th February 2023, 14:49     #43617
[fe]

I don't have a switch but happy to see owners will be able to play Metroid Prime on updated Nintendo hardware.
Old 9th February 2023, 15:03     #43618
xor

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMax
Seeing a large number of you lot are in Aussie, explain this one to me.

Here in NZ a lot of drivers would travel at 105KM/H on the open road. I usually stick to around that on my speedo which if those convenient roadside speed indicators are to be trusted equates to 99/100/101. Of course there's always someone wanting to go faster than you no matter your speed.

Anyway, I'm curious: how does anyone get away with speeding in Aussie, cruising at say 110 km/h then bumping up their speed on passing lanes etc as I see a lot of cars doing here in NZ when the Australians can use any car as a mufti?

Maybe less people do hence half the road toll (amongst other things, less intersections?).

Here in NZ it's going to be a Holden with the 2nd antenna on the roof. Don't think I've seen any mufti Skodas yet
The motorways and highways in Queensland/NSW all have two lanes which allows people to overtake. We've done a fair bit of travel around Queensland and the roads are pretty awesome. Does that answer your question?
Old 9th February 2023, 15:31     #43619
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Most roads in NZ are death traps. Didn’t realise it until driving in other countries.
Old 9th February 2023, 16:19     #43620
xor

Yeeep, plenty of room for bogans to hoon past you. Also since moving to the people's republic of Queensland I noticed just how much older NZ cars are to Aussies.
Old 9th February 2023, 21:15     #43621
StN
I have detailed files

Quote:
Originally Posted by xor
I noticed just how much older NZ cars are to Aussies.
Auckland : Hold my beer. New fleet inbound to cover flood write offs...
Old 10th February 2023, 11:30     #43622
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Roger Waters is the Elon Musk of music

https://flip.it/rDJ2o6

Note: not a compliment
Old 10th February 2023, 11:57     #43623
_indigo1

Lets see how batshit the new lyrics are. Inb4 Ukraine/Russia lyrical reference.
Old 10th February 2023, 12:29     #43624
Redneck

It will not be sad when he dies.
Old 10th February 2023, 13:48     #43625
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Unlike when Burt Bacharach died, which was today. Respect to one of the greats.
Old 10th February 2023, 14:39     #43626
StN
I have detailed files

He was truly wise beyond his years when it came to speculating on global requirements.
Old 13th February 2023, 17:03     #43627
xor

The title of my talk today is: Fuck you, pay me!

I'm sorry you didn't scope the project and have failed to 'do the needful'. And yes, you will still be paying us.
Old 13th February 2023, 19:53     #43628
wazza
*flex*

my favourite thing in an email is to ask people to "do the needful".
hahaha, i'm such a fucko
Old 15th February 2023, 09:50     #43629
MadMax
Stuff

Everyone that went to school knows that warm air holds more moisture so you have greater capacity for rain.

Not everyone realises however that the relationship isn’t linear - the capacity doubles for each 20degF increase in temperature
Old 15th February 2023, 10:26     #43630
Cyberbob

Quote:
hahaha, i'm such a fucko
I'm happy when i recieve emails like that, it's like winning Bombay Call Centre Bingo
Old 15th February 2023, 10:27     #43631
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Quote:
Everyone that went to school knows that warm air holds more moisture so you have greater capacity for rain.

Not everyone realises however that the relationship isn’t linear - the capacity doubles for each 20degF increase in temperature
That’s because no one knows what the fuck a degF is
Old 15th February 2023, 11:20     #43632
StN
I have detailed files

VINCENT
...But you know what the funniest thing about Europe is?
JULES
What?
VINCENT
It's the little differences. I mean they got the same shit over there, we got
Here, but it's just there's a little difference.
JULES
Examples?
VINCENT
Alright, well you can walk into a movie theatre in Amsterdam and buy a beer.
And I don't mean in a paper cup. I'm talkin' 'bout a glass of beer. And in
Paris, you can buy a beer at MacDonald's. You know what they call a Quarter
Pounder with Cheese in Paris?
JULES
They don't call it a Quarter Pounder with Cheese?
VINCENT
No, man, they got the metric system there, they wouldn't know what the fuck
A Quarter Pounder is.
JULES
What'd they call it?

Système international d'unités motherfucker - do you speak it?
Old 15th February 2023, 15:43     #43633
MadMax
Stuff

It’s a quoted rule of thumb, the same for Celsius isn’t quoted so much

Else, make that 10 degC.

(iPhone keypad doesn’t have the little o for degrees, sorry not)
Old 15th February 2023, 16:48     #43634
StN
I have detailed files

Quote:
It’s a quoted rule of thumb, the same for Celsius isn’t quoted so much

Else, make that 10 degC.

(iPhone keypad doesn’t have the little o for degrees, sorry not)
This one …? °

(Press and hold zero old chap)
Old 15th February 2023, 18:04     #43635
MadMax
Stuff

°

Thanks son.
Old 16th February 2023, 07:18     #43636
StN
I have detailed files

Just doing the needful...
Old 16th February 2023, 17:17     #43637
Lightspeed

Quote:
hahaha, i'm such a fucko
Hahaha, I had a colleague who would use the phrase. However the... communication I found most useful was their way of responding to people with an "Oh, is it?" With the right timing and context, I find it a great way to move on from some unimportant spiel someone might be stuck in.

Last edited by Lightspeed : 16th February 2023 at 17:19.
Old 17th February 2023, 08:23     #43638
wazza
*flex*

neat. i've also been using the classic "you get that on the big jobs" instead of complaining when an important person scope creeps. receptively it's worked quite well.

i try real hard to not be the prick in the room, but i'm naturally high in disagreeableness, if something ain't right i ain't on the train, haha.
Old 17th February 2023, 10:39     #43639
Cyberbob

context: Corporate IT.

The main thing I'm getting fucked off about so far this year (this is more GMG than Random Thoughts), is when people will be absolutely laser focused on following a process because "that's how it's always been", regardless of the fact that I'm in the middle of explaining how we can change the process to get a better outcome.

Oh oh, and the beauty of open plan offices, trying to have a conversation with someone, and a third person jumps in with their opinions about what we 'should have done'.
Old 17th February 2023, 11:57     #43640
MadMax
Stuff

Quote:
i try real hard to not be the prick in the room, but i'm naturally high in disagreeableness, if something ain't right i ain't on the train, haha.
“Cleary I’m not smokin what you’re smokin.”

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyberbob
context: Corporate IT.

Oh oh, and the beauty of open plan offices, trying to have a conversation with someone, and a third person jumps in with their opinions about what we 'should have done'.
“Stay in your lane”