Go Back   NZGames.com Forums > General > Open Discussion
User Name
Password

Old 22nd October 2016, 10:56     #40401
MadMax
Stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by pxpx
Does anyone bank with westpac? What's your opinion on them, and is their internet-banking website/app any good?
no complaints here. their website is simplistic, no-frills yet modern.

they've not long released an app where you can categorise your purchases and lets you know if your spending is above or below your usual trend. it displays a useful notification on my phone every time my wife or I make a purchase.
Old 25th October 2016, 20:40     #40402
Cyberbob

Free IT advice of the day: If you whitelist *@gmail.com you're gonna have a bad time.

Spam up the wazoo and a ransomware attack within 48 hours.

One of my clients didn't have a good first day back from the long weekend.
Old 30th October 2016, 20:32     #40403
fixed_truth

So apparently for a one off payment of $350 you can get all the tv shows/movies of netflix plus sky sport uk all 720p.

Sounds too good to be true though customers seem to be singing it's praises.

http://fibretvnz.co.nz/index.html (warning terrible website design)
Old 30th October 2016, 21:38     #40404
CCS
Stunt Pants

Does not pass the bullshit sniff test.
Old 31st October 2016, 10:07     #40405
pxpx

Are legal disclaimers automatically added to the bottom of corporate/business emails meaningless/pointless?
Old 31st October 2016, 11:31     #40406
Fx.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fixed_truth
So apparently for a one off payment of $350 you can get all the tv shows/movies of netflix plus sky sport uk all 720p.

Sounds too good to be true though customers seem to be singing it's praises.

http://fibretvnz.co.nz/index.html (warning terrible website design)
from looking at the screenshot (and the fact their websites nav bar is a bad knockoff of fthe default kodi skin) its kodi/xbmc with the streaming addons installed (i assume on some tiny linux embedded computer)

so you're paying them for a free product which is pirating things for you; pretty good business plan on their part; it should be super illegal (selling something as legit that you know is subverting copyright) but who knows these days

Last edited by Fx. : 31st October 2016 at 11:35.
Old 31st October 2016, 11:31     #40407
Fx.

double

Last edited by Fx. : 31st October 2016 at 11:33.
Old 31st October 2016, 11:38     #40408
Fx.

https://kodi.tv/the-piracy-box-selle...-killing-kodi/

this

yeah this company is doge as shit and selling you a $40 item with free software and 3rd party addons for $350
from their FB:

Andrew Murphy
Andrew Murphy so is this an android box with Kodi on that you're charging a monthly fee for when in actual fact anyone who has a computer can do this for free?
Like · Reply · October 28 at 3:08pm · Edited
Fibre TV New Zealand
Fibre TV New Zealand Hi Andrew Murphy, we don't charge a monthly fee. And whilst you are right you can stream content on your computer, our device offers people secure viewing of content without pop up adds, being asked for your credit card details, or from getting viruses. Looking for and finding content on a computer can often be very difficult and time consuming. Our device enables easy searching functions that saves you searching through various sites to find the content that you want to watch and you are viewing it directly from your tv.

Last edited by Fx. : 31st October 2016 at 11:42.
Old 31st October 2016, 11:53     #40409
CCS
Stunt Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by pxpx
Are legal disclaimers automatically added to the bottom of corporate/business emails meaningless/pointless?
Pretty much.
Old 31st October 2016, 12:22     #40410
DrTiTus
HENCE WHY FOREVER ALONE

I got one of those $40 Android TV boxes, with Kodi on it. It didn't give me free streaming out of the box. I had to get my nerd on to do it (remove app, install new version + addons), and even then, it was quite flaky. I only spent about an hour messing around with it, and it had its quirks. One was that every time the mouse moves, the nav bar comes up on the screen, interrupting your viewing. Kind of annoying.

I personally wouldn't spend $350 on one, but assuming the seller sets it up with his acquired knowledge and makes it work close to 100% (removing all the useless add-ons, and configuring it properly to get rid of nav bar?), it might be worth it for an old person, assuming the user is aware of, and wants to take on the risk of accessing pirated content.

As for the $40 Android TV boxes - they're OK for basic Android stuff but you can pretty much expect games not to work properly (clicks don't register, and you can't press two places on the screen at once, so you can't for example steer + accelerate even if clicks do register). I considered it as an alternative to a Chromecast, and for that purpose it gives a slightly better Spotify/Plex/media experience (you can browse/search via the TV rather than relying on a phone/tablet). Plex costs money for the Android version (one off, $6 or so), so Chromecast wins there. It was more fun playing Wordbrain collaboratively on the TV with a mouse rather than both of us huddled around a tiny screen. I also plugged in a Korg keyboard via USB and ran Learn Piano which allows us to play a music game in the style of Dance Dance Revolution where you have to play the notes as they scroll down. Can't do that on a Chromecast~

Downside is the plug + international adapter wobbles around, meaning the power is likely to drop if you mess with the power board. My model didn't have Bluetooth either. A bit more flexibility with what you can display on your TV over a Chromecast, but it's not quite the same Android experience you get with a phone/tablet due to various limitations.

If you don't have a Chromecast I'd suggest getting one of those instead, but if you want a second media screen and you're curious, it's definitely worth $40.
Old 31st October 2016, 13:01     #40411
Cyberbob

International netflix streaming has been done before through SmartFlix. https://www.smartflix.io/

Theirs was $4 per month or $40 for a year. Within about two months they were given C&D orders by Netflix. no refunds for any sort.

Of course those streaming boxes violate regional broadcasting rights, terms of service, etc etc. Buyer beware.

Play stupid games, win stupid prizes.
Old 31st October 2016, 16:32     #40412
Fx.

normally you'd use a remote not a mouse which gets rid of the nav bar problem
Old 7th November 2016, 19:44     #40413
MadMax
Stuff

http://codegolf.stackexchange.com/qu...63?stw=2#31863
Old 9th November 2016, 00:19     #40414
Lightspeed

Has anyone checked out https://myactivity.google.com/myactivity?
Old 9th November 2016, 10:29     #40415
Fx.

all mine shows is my youtube accts history; i think i turned most of the tracking off (as much as you can anyways)
Old 11th November 2016, 02:40     #40416
Lightspeed

If you've got some crypto lying around you can bump your value by ~10% a day right buying hashrate time at NiceHash.

Zcash is going nuts.
Old 11th November 2016, 10:19     #40417
MadMax
Stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightspeed
If be surprised if anyone here hasn't since you could check your google history from what several years ago?
Old 13th November 2016, 12:49     #40418
MadMax
Stuff

someone needs to make a simulation of how much the moon's apparent size increases with its change in distance to the earth. TBH not sure the change in distance would have that much effect on how it looks and the the effect is more to do with the relative perception of the moon when low on the horizon?
Old 18th November 2016, 14:33     #40419
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

An invite-only music torrent site I've never heard of called what.cd has closed down:

http://www.theverge.com/2016/11/17/1...site-shut-down
Old 19th November 2016, 16:56     #40420
Fx.

was great for oddball releases and flac

so i heard
Old 19th November 2016, 17:34     #40421
crocos

Whelp... That was the last (for realizies, not the usual joke they do) Kiwicon. Bloody crazy crowd this year - slightly more than 2130 tickets sold, and the Michael Fowler Centre in Wellington was humming.

وكل يوم كنت تعيش في العبودية
Old 20th November 2016, 10:08     #40422
StN
I have detailed files

Quote:
Originally Posted by crocos
Whelp... That was the last (for realizies, not the usual joke they do) Kiwicon. Bloody crazy crowd this year - slightly more than 2130 tickets sold, and the Michael Fowler Centre in Wellington was humming.
Last? Bother.
Old 20th November 2016, 10:22     #40423
Spoon1
Mmm... Sacrilicious

Badger Badger Badger Badger...
Old 20th November 2016, 17:23     #40424
LordP

Quote:
I did a count of the uncollected tickets sometime on Sunday - 123. So more than 2000 people where there for at least some of the 2 days. Mental.
Old 20th November 2016, 20:26     #40425
MadMax
Stuff

found some old cdroms with notepad prints for cd covers. some of the listings includes:

3dfx patches
mageslayer
motoracer
shadows of the empire
carmageddon
hexen
mass destruction
need for speed2
betrayal at krondor
swiv3d
abuse
death gate

oh god those were some good times.
Old 21st November 2016, 09:14     #40426
Jodi

Quote:
Really? oh man, I was just told I could go to the next one as I was wanting to go for years but life kept getting in the way.

Was it said it was the last one on the website? cos I didn't know.
Old 21st November 2016, 09:24     #40427
LordP

On the screen and https://twitter.com/kiwicon/status/799505433937530882
Old 21st November 2016, 12:16     #40428
crocos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jodi
Really? oh man, I was just told I could go to the next one as I was wanting to go for years but life kept getting in the way.

Was it said it was the last one on the website? cos I didn't know.
They didn't decide for sure until Friday, but the signs were there in some of the comments and that Bogan and Vex both have newborns

Old 21st November 2016, 12:18     #40429
crocos

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordP
I did a count of the uncollected tickets sometime on Sunday - 123. So more than 2000 people where there for at least some of the 2 days. Mental.
Yeah, I heard ASB and Westpac staff didn't attend (accounting for ~40 of that), but not sure on the accuracy of that.

Old 22nd November 2016, 01:06     #40430
CCS
Stunt Pants

Have your loved ones ashes turned into a ceramic glaze. Then have that glaze applied to a beautiful $200 mug so that every time you take a sip of coffee, you can say "I'm drinking out of grandma!" eurgh.
Old 22nd November 2016, 15:33     #40431
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Today I am the age that my father was when he died, which feels very strange.
Old 22nd November 2016, 19:23     #40432
LordP

Have you been checking your pulse every 5 minutes?
Old 23rd November 2016, 17:30     #40433
Lightspeed

So Pre-Civilaztion Egypt is a pretty cool game, if you managed to grab it before it was taken down due to a trademark infringement claim from 2K.
Old 8th December 2016, 20:18     #40434
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

for great lolstice

https://www.ozbargain.com.au/node/280809#comment
Old 9th December 2016, 00:38     #40435
Lightspeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightspeed
So Pre-Civilaztion Egypt is a pretty cool game, if you managed to grab it before it was taken down due to a trademark infringement claim from 2K.
Make that Predynastic Egypt. Very good fun, for ~$11.

Last edited by Lightspeed : 9th December 2016 at 00:40.
Old 9th December 2016, 03:58     #40436
CCS
Stunt Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ab
What, you don't like being able to wipe the ceiling clean with your head?
Old 9th December 2016, 13:06     #40437
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

"I made an offer on a property auction sight unseen and won it and now they say I have to pay for it and I've changed my mind, dear internet can someone help"
Old 9th December 2016, 13:06     #40438
CCS
Stunt Pants

John Glenn, first American to orbit Earth, dead at 95.

Old 22nd December 2016, 15:02     #40439
Kryten

"Fox on the Run" being used in the Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 trailer is a good reminder that whomever is assembling the licensed music for these movies is a goddamn genius.
Old 23rd December 2016, 16:16     #40440
CCS
Stunt Pants

Casting director reveals Peter Jackson did want David Bowie to play Gandalf

Quote:
She did confirm that Jackson wanted Bowie to play Gandalf, and not elf lord Elrond as it was previously speculated.
I can't imagine Bowie as Gandalf. Just can't see it working. Elrond on the other hand would not be too much of a stretch but maybe elf lord is a little to close to goblin king.