Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Go Back   NZGames.com Forums > General > Open Discussion
User Name
Password

Old 15th April 2016, 14:52     #40121
blynk

Quote:
Originally Posted by StN
You could join the dots and think of what happened in that location around that time. I would imagine it was big news, and caused quite a kerfuffle.
Yeah, I finally put 2 and 2 together, and a quick google search for the name found an article to confirm it
Old 15th April 2016, 15:19     #40122
CCS
Stunt Pants

Well I can't figure out jack shit so GIMME SOME FUCKEN HINTS.
Old 15th April 2016, 17:31     #40123
spigalau

You will rofl when you figure out who PJS & YMA are.
Old 15th April 2016, 17:33     #40124
madmaxii

Quote:
Originally Posted by spigalau
You will rofl when you figure out who PJS & YMA are.
You will indeed
Old 15th April 2016, 17:38     #40125
blynk

Why are we saying PJS. We aren't in England, we can say that its Elton John
Old 16th April 2016, 23:39     #40126
madmaxii

Quote:
Originally Posted by blynk
Why are we saying PJS. We aren't in England, we can say that its Elton John
Yes, yes it is. In a paddling pool of olive oil.

http://order-order.com/2016/04/14/no...reaten-google/

The mind boggles really.
Old 18th April 2016, 13:07     #40127
Kryten

Working my way through my backlog of games and finally gave the new Wolfenstein a go. Discovered the easter egg that lets you play the first level of the original Wolf3D and was mildly disturbed that I can still remember where all of the secret doors are in that level.
Old 19th April 2016, 16:20     #40128
pxpx

slow work day today so I've been researching my next DIY construction project which is laying a concrete slab underneath my house for a new basement. Reading about subgrade stabilisation chemicals (hydrated lime etc), proper mixing of concrete for high strength applications, reinforcing methods etc etc.

There's a huge volume of information out there... and the number of people who have filmed themselves pouring concrete slabs and uploaded it to youtube is bizarre, but so helpful.
Old 19th April 2016, 17:26     #40129
blynk

The amount of youtube clips out there is amazing. Very helpful to watch a couple to get some tips & tricks
Old 20th April 2016, 10:34     #40130
Juju
get to da choppa

Quote:
Originally Posted by pxpx
slow work day today so I've been researching my next DIY construction project which is laying a concrete slab underneath my house for a new basement. Reading about subgrade stabilisation chemicals (hydrated lime etc), proper mixing of concrete for high strength applications, reinforcing methods etc etc.

There's a huge volume of information out there... and the number of people who have filmed themselves pouring concrete slabs and uploaded it to youtube is bizarre, but so helpful.
Would have thought something like that would require building consent, engineering input and producer statement yadda yadda bullshit?
Old 20th April 2016, 11:07     #40131
pxpx

Yeah I am looking into that, but there's no reason I can't do the heavy lifting myself. Anyways, I don't think it does need one because:

- it's small, only (4m x 2m)
- it's within the existing building footprint,
- there's no increase to impermeable surfaces (thanks GIS viewer!)
- it's not load bearing because...
- ...there's no modification to existing foundations
Old 22nd April 2016, 08:30     #40132
fixed_truth

Holy crap

Prince Dead at 57

Didn't see that one coming, RIP.
Old 22nd April 2016, 09:04     #40133
Lightspeed

No way. That sucks. Prince was a real as it gets.
Old 22nd April 2016, 09:25     #40134
pxpx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightspeed
No way. That sucks. Prince was a real as it gets.
https://youtu.be/6SFNW5F8K9Y?t=199
Old 22nd April 2016, 11:13     #40135
Cyberbob

In memoriam.

Old 22nd April 2016, 20:19     #40136
StN
I have detailed files

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyberbob
Old 23rd April 2016, 00:51     #40137
Cyberbob

Yep, I thought of that one too. I wonder if any of those videos will come out of the vault now
Old 24th April 2016, 00:23     #40138
Lightspeed

That was excellent.

I totally forgot about this song. Brings back memories.
Old 24th April 2016, 00:55     #40139
Lightspeed

Quote:
I wonder if any of those videos will come out of the vault now
We might have to wonder for some time:
Questions Mount Over Prince’s Music Catalog

Maybe he left detailed instructions on what would happen with it all? I'd love to see Kevin Smith's documentary. I'm assuming that hasn't been released?

Edit: Seems it wasn't.

Last edited by Lightspeed : 24th April 2016 at 00:58.
Old 24th April 2016, 22:09     #40140
fixed_truth

Quote:
This is the crux of Tyson’s point: if we take it as read that it is, in principle, possible to simulate a universe in some way, at some point in the future, then we have to assume that on an infinite timeline some species, somewhere, will simulate the universe. And if the universe will be perfectly, or near-perfectly, simulated at some point, then we have to examine the possibility that we live inside such a universe. And, on a truly infinite timeline, we might expect an almost infinite number of simulations to arise from an almost infinite number or civilizations — and indeed, a sophisticated-enough simulation might be able to let its simulated denizens themselves run universal simulations, and at that point all bets are officially off.
Quote:
Does this prove that Tyson and his colleagues are wrong? No. But it does prove that their thinking here is inherently useless — that is, that they could be right and until we can prove it with real evidence, their correct statements would still be useless. As the old saying goes, we should be open-minded — just not so open-minded our brains fall out.
http://www.extremetech.com/extreme/2...s-a-simulation
Old 25th April 2016, 08:19     #40141
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

tech JERNALISM, ladies and gentlemen
Old 27th April 2016, 21:56     #40142
Nothing

So, I know there's a thread specifically for this, but nobody has posted there since last year, and I was hoping to get some recommendations before I spend $$$ sometime in the next day or two.

I'm looking at getting the bones of a new PC, since my current one is playing up in a variety of ways, and I'm pretty sure it's the motherboard that is to blame. Last time I got a PC I got it off Stalk3r. That dudes service was awesome, and I would totally have gone back to him this time too, so I'm understandably a bit gutted that his business isn't around any more.

Just wondering if people here have any pc parts vendors in Auckland/Wellington that they would highly recommend for being almost as good as Stalk3r?
Old 27th April 2016, 22:55     #40143
spigalau

Get hold of Mark @ PP

http://www.pp.co.nz/ContactUs.php

He's a gamer from way back and I am sure he will sort you out.
Old 28th April 2016, 08:08     #40144
Native
I... err - F*ck It.

Plug for Mark.

Him and Ascent are still the only two people I would buy from - although it's been 7 years since in NZ.
Old 29th April 2016, 16:57     #40145
Cyberbob

Does anything broadcast on analogue UHF anymore?

Got myself a new TV and in the process of ditching Sky. Need to make sure my UHF aerial actually works first and is pointed in the right direction. (moving to Freeview UHF)
Old 29th April 2016, 17:00     #40146
CCS
Stunt Pants

I must be missing something. If you have a new tv with a UHF DTV tuner, then why would you want to check an analogue signal? Why not search for a digital UHF signal?
Old 29th April 2016, 17:04     #40147
Cyberbob

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCS
I must be missing something. If you have a new tv with a UHF DTV tuner, then why would you want to check an analogue signal? Why not search for a digital UHF signal?
For whatever reason, it's not picking up the digital Freeview broadcast. Call it some initial troubleshooting. Want to see if my UHF aerial & cable to the tv is actually working before calling a tech to assist.
Old 29th April 2016, 17:23     #40148
CCS
Stunt Pants

I very much doubt that there's anything left on analogue. Maybe try Geekzone for ideas?
Old 29th April 2016, 20:14     #40149
StN
I have detailed files

I plugged in my DSE 7" CRT/Radio today that I had stowed by my desk for some Americas Cup replay or something several years ago, and switched straight to FM - No point in looking at the display unless I plug a vintage micro in the back.
Old 3rd May 2016, 16:48     #40150
MadMax
Stuff

Quote:
For whatever reason, it's not picking up the digital Freeview broadcast. Call it some initial troubleshooting. Want to see if my UHF aerial & cable to the tv is actually working before calling a tech to assist.
even with a shitty antenna you should be able to get at least a couple of digital stations unless you're in a poor reception area
Old 3rd May 2016, 16:48     #40151
MadMax
Stuff

Quote:
even with a shitty antenna you should be able to get at least a couple of digital stations unless you're in a poor reception area
Old 3rd May 2016, 16:49     #40152
MadMax
Stuff

arm
mh370
rothschild

go
Old 3rd May 2016, 18:04     #40153
StN
I have detailed files

Yeah - I heard that one at the time. That and the Lithium batteries bit.
Old 3rd May 2016, 21:15     #40154
Ajax
Architeuthis

Quote:
I had this problem with a new TV just last week. Plugged it in to the wall, got zero reception. It turned out the trouble was with the coaxial cable. I had a 3C-2V cable (the grade should be printed on the side) which was a cheap piece of crap. Upgraded to a modern RG-6 type cable and now have perfect reception.
Old 4th May 2016, 19:45     #40155
fixed_truth

Laugh

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/entertainm...ectid=11633507
Old 6th May 2016, 09:27     #40156
Jodi

Is there a rundown or article on all the stuff that happening at mediaworks? I actually don't know what the fuck went down there.
Old 6th May 2016, 09:55     #40157
CCS
Stunt Pants

Hilary quit, the boss quit.
Old 6th May 2016, 10:40     #40158
pxpx

lol such professionalism
Old 6th May 2016, 12:15     #40159
CCS
Stunt Pants

Fire doors that lock when the fire alarm goes off. That's brilliant. That's really great stuff.
Old 6th May 2016, 12:40     #40160
crocos

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCS
Fire doors that lock when the fire alarm goes off. That's brilliant. That's really great stuff.
Not to mention just slightly illegal, I thought?

وكل يوم كنت تعيش في العبودية