Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Go Back   NZGames.com Forums > General > Open Discussion
User Name
Password

Old 2nd March 2016, 15:17     #40041
blynk

Quote:
Originally Posted by fixed_truth
You seriously think streaking should be a sex crime? In q-town (& prob elsewhere) it's not uncommon for female tourists to sunbathe topless at the beach - is that a sex crime?
Females being topless is a completely different story though.
Context needs to be taken as well. Adults tend to put their view on it which makes it look bad.

What about off the field?
Ok, I did not realise it had happened off the field. It should only have happened why apprehending him, and obviously it shouldn't be over the top.
Old 2nd March 2016, 15:43     #40042
Deadmeat

Quote:
Originally Posted by fixed_truth
You seriously think streaking should be a sex crime?
That's not what I said.

Quote:
In q-town (& prob elsewhere) it's not uncommon for female tourists to sunbathe topless at the beach - is that a sex crime?
Many men go topless at the beach, why should women be treated any different? How does that relate to someone (male or female) going nude at a sporting event where no-one expects anyone to be nude?
Old 2nd March 2016, 15:59     #40043
[Malks] Pixie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadmeat
That's not what I said.
No you're right, it's not what you said.

What you directly implied was being seen naked by a minor, in a non-sexual act, constituted a sex crime. Shit we better make some changes to how public changing rooms at pools, gyms and other facilities work right away.
Old 2nd March 2016, 16:16     #40044
Deadmeat

My point is context. Do you expect to see someone naked in a changing room? How about a shopping mall?
Old 2nd March 2016, 16:18     #40045
blynk

I quoted wrong before.

Context needs to be taken as well. Adults tend to put their view on it which makes it look bad.
Old 2nd March 2016, 16:22     #40046
[Malks] Pixie

Quote:
My point is context. Do you expect to see someone naked in a changing room? How about a shopping mall?
Well done on spotting my hyperbole, I was kind of hoping your call for it to be a sex-crime to be much the same, but I guess not. We have laws that deal with nakedness in public spaces (public indecency) and laws that deal with sex-crimes - there was nothing sexual about the streakers actions, thus it shouldn't be considered a sex-crime.

If they'd run onto the field and started masturbating then sure, but they didn't.
Old 2nd March 2016, 16:28     #40047
fixed_truth

Quote:
I do see where you're coming from but taking from what pixie said how does a context of non-expectation of nudity automatically make it a sexual act?
Old 2nd March 2016, 19:45     #40048
Lightspeed

Cool short story about super speed:
Flicker - Phone Tag
Old 3rd March 2016, 01:38     #40049
Nothing

That's not a short story Ls, it's the first chapter in a 170k work novel. But there's a prologue before it as well, which you didn't mention.
Old 3rd March 2016, 09:26     #40050
Juju
get to da choppa

Quote:
Streaking at sports grounds has happened for decades. Whilst I wouldn't expect to see a naked person every time I went to a sports ground, it's not entirely unexpected.

Besides, it's a naked person. So what? People who take gross offence at streakers are in the same basket as people who take offence at public breastfeeding IMO. They're being offended at what they opine as a sexual activity, when greater opinion states it's not. They're unable to see boobs, willies, and fannies in a non-sexual way.

Last edited by Juju : 3rd March 2016 at 09:28.
Old 3rd March 2016, 10:08     #40051
StN
I have detailed files

So DSE wonder why they are in liquidation.

Perhaps it is the lack of attention to detail? I remember the old days when the shop assistants knew about electronics, and part of the employment process form thing even included a section on part identification.

Attention to detail, like sending out yet another mailer (2nd or 3rd this week?) offering 20-50% off...

Quote:
Offers end 29/2/16 unless otherwise stated or sold out prior.
Old 3rd March 2016, 10:26     #40052
Lightspeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nothing
That's not a short story Ls, it's the first chapter in a 170k work novel. But there's a prologue before it as well, which you didn't mention.
I'm too old to know how these tumblr books work. Regardless, it's works great as a standalone chapter.
Old 3rd March 2016, 10:28     #40053
Lightspeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by StN
I thought it went into liquidation because some investment group wanted to make a bunch of cash by overstating its value and making bank selling shares?
Old 3rd March 2016, 10:29     #40054
CCS
Stunt Pants

They're not even trying any more, man.

Still, I got a reasonable deal on a new Kindle. I feel safe because they have a Cashback Promise*.
Old 4th March 2016, 09:13     #40055
MadMax
Stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by StN
Catch up grandad. Those $50 hdmi cables were not actually worth $50

Couple of new words of the day and it's only 9am: pyrocoupler and emissivity. Not even iOS knows that last one.
Old 4th March 2016, 11:06     #40056
Native
I... err - F*ck It.

They also did not understand the term inventory control or management.

Pro-Tip - When you are a major international retailer with long lead-time, own-label and cyclic products, do not pay your supply chain people peanuts.
Old 10th March 2016, 11:45     #40057
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

http://www.huffingtonpost.com.au/ent...tion=australia

Quote:
In an extremely rare occurrence, a mother in Vietnam has learned her fraternal twins have different fathers.

DNA testing for the two siblings at a clinic in Hanoi revealed that they are bi-paternal twins.

There are few details available about the children and their parents because of a confidentiality agreement between the family and the clinic, CNN reported Monday.

Local media in Vietnam, however, have said that the twins were born two years ago and look very different from one another. The DNA testing reportedly took place under pressure from family members.

Professor Le Dinh Luong, head of the agency that conducted the testing, told the BBC the results were "100 percent correct," albeit very unusual.

"This is rare not only for Vietnam, but for the world," he told Agence France Presse on Tuesday.

The scientific term for this highly uncommon occurrence is heteropaternal superfecundation. It occurs when a woman releases multiple eggs that are then fertilized by multiple men during a single ovulation period, meaning the children are conceived within a short time frame -- likely hours or days apart.
SLUTS
Old 10th March 2016, 20:37     #40058
Nothing

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/world/news...ref=NZH_FBpage

Quote:
A high-profile pro-gun activist was shot in the back by her four-year-old son after he found her pistol lying on the back seat of her truck just 24 hours after she boasted about his shooting skills online.
The irony is strong in this one.
Old 10th March 2016, 21:58     #40059
madmaxii

Oh yes, gun loaded, with the safety catch off, lying on the back seat with a 4 year old.
Yeah Momma!
Old 11th March 2016, 11:22     #40060
leadinjector

that level of irony gives me a big chubby
Old 15th March 2016, 11:21     #40061
MadMax
Stuff

Could microsofts Continuum be a thin client killer? I'd like it to be so.
Old 21st March 2016, 12:04     #40062
MadMax
Stuff

My random act of annoyance for today: sticking hard drive magnets through someone's order book.
Old 22nd March 2016, 11:45     #40063
crocos

We've all heard the "The computers and machines will put us all out of jobs" mantra. And it WILL happen. The question is how far away is that?

This author thinks it's just about on us.
https://medium.com/basic-income/deep...a49#.yv5tnby35

وكل يوم كنت تعيش في العبودية
Old 22nd March 2016, 12:26     #40064
MadMax
Stuff

So once dominoes pizza have their pizzas delivered by robots, all they need is an automatic pizza oven and boom: no more pizza guys.
Old 22nd March 2016, 12:35     #40065
MadMax
Stuff

Also ... In deep learning game play a machine takes many samples of games and finds the trees that provide better outcomes.

How to do this with conversation? Find all the random coversations that people have had with the likes of Siri and take the discussion chains that resulted in the longest continued human back chat as the better outcomes. Hell, you could turn this into a captcha challenge program: "which of the following sentences make sense" or ... "Which answer is the best responce to this question" ...

Last edited by MadMax : 22nd March 2016 at 12:36.
Old 22nd March 2016, 14:24     #40066
pxpx

go home max you're drunk
Old 22nd March 2016, 21:26     #40067
StN
I have detailed files

Quote:
Originally Posted by crocos
We've all heard the "The computers and machines will put us all out of jobs" mantra. And it WILL happen. The question is how far away is that?

Exchange in the Cloud is going to put mail admins out of a job quicker than they think.
Old 22nd March 2016, 21:50     #40068
pxpx

Quote:
Originally Posted by crocos

I could argue that the purpose of my job is effectively putting other people out of theirs, because ~50% of what I do at work, is automating the simpler (but as time goes, more and more complex) areas of their jobs. These are jobs that require years of experience and a decent level of intelligence to do well (involves critical thinking etc etc)

So yea it's definitely happening.

Last edited by pxpx : 22nd March 2016 at 21:51.
Old 23rd March 2016, 00:25     #40069
Nothing

I think there are some jobs that we really don't want to automate. For instance, I don't think we want to automate our legislative or political processes.

We probably don't want to have machines making decisions about how our societies will be structured for us. We probably don't want to have machines making decisions about what our laws are. We probably don't want to have machines making decisions about who gets to make our decisions. If we hand those things over to machines, well, I'm going to need a clean pair of undies, mate.

(This is the reason why I want to do a PhD in political philosophy).

Last edited by Nothing : 23rd March 2016 at 00:27.
Old 23rd March 2016, 07:51     #40070
fixed_truth

Won't be long now . . .

http://img1.joyreactor.com/pics/post...ple-820059.png
Old 24th March 2016, 23:07     #40071
crocos

So today I was tortured by having chunks excised from my leg, and what's more, I was stupid enough to volunteer for it.

So I've posted before about having type two dieabetus. I've volunteered for a study that involves a couple of baseline measurement sessions, then today's session (Biopsy 1, insulin clamp, biopsy 2).

If someone asks you if you want a biopsy from your thigh, I recommend you politely decline. If they want you to take TWO biopsies in the same day from the same leg? I recommend questioning their parentage and lack of honour, followed by punching them in the nads (it's less painful then the fucking biopsy).

Old 24th March 2016, 23:20     #40072
crocos

Anyway, now that the biopsies are done, I get a free 5-days-per-week gym membership and personal trainer, from Tuesday next week, every weekday for 12 weeks. It'll be mon/tue/thu/fri mainly cardio, with wed being weight training. Because it's a clinical study they do lots of measurable exercises, such as exhaustion runs and 1RM/10RM - so far my best on the leg press is 7@310kg - I'm under the impression this is quite decent for someone that's not done any weight training any time recently.

Also as an added bonus they're MAYBE going to extend the exercise portion by another 4 weeks, apparently 12 weeks doesn't really allow enough time for the proteins they're testing to exhibit full effect.

Oh yeah, what the study is actually testing: the impact of two different proteins (keratin based and whey based) and placebo, on muscular glucose uptake and insulin efficiency, when combined with exercise, on people with non-Insulin dependent Type 2 Diabetes Mellitus.

Old 24th March 2016, 23:44     #40073
MadMax
Stuff

quite a few people seem to be going on that test. interesting to know you've just started it when others i know finished it a few months back
Old 24th March 2016, 23:48     #40074
crocos

There's multiple similar studies apparently; this is a pilot study (currently only 7 guinea pigs so far, including me).

The people you know have probably been involved with related but different studies.

Old 25th March 2016, 08:39     #40075
leadinjector

Quote:
I think there are some jobs that we really don't want to automate. For instance, I don't think we want to automate our legislative or political processes.

We probably don't want to have machines making decisions about how our societies will be structured for us. We probably don't want to have machines making decisions about what our laws are. We probably don't want to have machines making decisions about who gets to make our decisions. If we hand those things over to machines, well, I'm going to need a clean pair of undies, mate.

(This is the reason why I want to do a PhD in political philosophy).
im glad i got into a job where....

ah fuk
Old 25th March 2016, 17:16     #40076
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

The Internet ruins everything, episode 24970452

http://distractify.com/geek/2016/03/...itter-ai-robot

It took 24 hours for Microsoft's AI bot, designed to learn human communication by interacting with people on twitter, to go from "Hello World" to "I fucking hate niggers" and "FUCK MY ROBOT PUSSY DADDY I'M SUCH A BAD NAUGHTY ROBOT"
Old 25th March 2016, 18:22     #40077
MadMax
Stuff

google: No results found for "u just activated my hardware" -microsoft

not sure how it made that sentence.
Old 28th March 2016, 20:40     #40078
Delphinus

Quote:

We probably don't want to have machines making decisions about how our societies will be structured for us. We probably don't want to have machines making decisions about what our laws are. We probably don't want to have machines making decisions about who gets to make our decisions.
Unless the outcome is like the Neal Asher Polity Series. AI's running the show, making decisions "for the greater good of the greatest number" and allowing more freedom to those who want it (without hurting others).
Old 29th March 2016, 11:56     #40079
leadinjector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ab
The Internet ruins everything, episode 24970452

http://distractify.com/geek/2016/03/...itter-ai-robot

It took 24 hours for Microsoft's AI bot, designed to learn human communication by interacting with people on twitter, to go from "Hello World" to "I fucking hate niggers" and "FUCK MY ROBOT PUSSY DADDY I'M SUCH A BAD NAUGHTY ROBOT"
for a derp like me, can someone explain whats actually going on here? i dont understand how this AI is supposed to "work"
Old 29th March 2016, 12:00     #40080
Lightspeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by leadinjector
ah fuk
lolz