Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Go Back   NZGames.com Forums > General > Open Discussion > Politics
User Name
Password

Old 17th July 2019, 08:10     #5401
CCS
Stunt Pants

Laugh

I don't believe that tinkering around the edges does anything useful, no matter how rose tinted your goggles are.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fixed_truth
I think that with the desired outcome of significantly reducing global warming then as well as acknowledging per country emissions it’s ALSO important to avoid a tragedy of the climate commons where individuals reason away their (esp. comparatively high) individual carbon footprint as just an insignificant drop in the bucket.

Hahaha - you're a twat!
Old 17th July 2019, 14:57     #5402
fixed_truth

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCS
I don't believe that tinkering around the edges does anything useful
You've stated that you think the Govt, should do something, a level of tinkering around the edges that you're okay with.

That's the crux of the argument. Will covering our share of emissions put us in a better position to change the big emitters actions or will it just harm our economy for nothing.

Seriously, how do you think NZ should "hammer China and India" on climate change as you say?
Old 18th July 2019, 06:47     #5403
CCS
Stunt Pants

NZ personally does not hammer China. That would be stupid. If the UN wants to do something, maybe they could?

NZ doesn't need build moral authority by banning plastic bags. We already have moral authority by emitting not even a percentage of total carbon emissions.
Old 18th July 2019, 15:06     #5404
fixed_truth

In what capacity should the UN hammer them exactly and why would you think this would be effective?

Also this belief of yours that per-capitaI emissions don't matter & NZ 'playing their part' effort is a waste of time is very much a wacky talk-back radio opinion. National doesn't think this. Shit here's some Beef + Lamb New Zealand twat.

Quote:
With our economy still largely dependent on agriculture, it's vital that we get our response to climate change right, not just to get rising global temperatures under control, but also so as not to inflict significant damage to our economy and disruption to rural communities in the process.

At a high level, the equation at play is what the cost is to our economy of transitioning to a lower emissions future versus the cost of having to adapt to climate change if we do nothing. While New Zealand is only a small contributor to global greenhouse gas emissions, by the same measure larger economies are reluctant to make changes too if smaller, more nimble players like us don't do our bit.
Old 19th July 2019, 11:04     #5405
CCS
Stunt Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by fixed_truth
In what capacity should the UN hammer them exactly and why would you think this would be effective?

Y'know what? You're right. I shouldn't give a shit about high polluting countries.

Quote:
Also this belief of yours that per-capitaI emissions don't matter & NZ 'playing their part' effort is a waste of time is very much a wacky talk-back radio opinion.

It's really not, for the reasons I pointed out, which you completely ignored. This 'talk-back opinion' crap is the usual sort of thing I expect from a lefty SJW who finds it easier to just throw around meaningless labels when they realise their opinion is worthless.

Quote:
National doesn't think this.

I don't give a fuck what National think...?
Old 19th July 2019, 11:17     #5406
fixed_truth

Classic CCS! Next time don't beat around the bush. You don't give a shit about high polluting countries AND you don't give a crap about per-capita emissions.

It's talk back radio rubbish because outside of the sub 1% Act Party that's the only place you'll hear it. Get with the program, the over-whelming majority of NZs DO give a shit about high polluting countries & DO appreciate that we need to do our part.
Old 22nd July 2019, 10:38     #5407
CCS
Stunt Pants

You can't tell sarcasm, can you?
Old 22nd July 2019, 13:44     #5408
Lightspeed

Rolling eyes

This is the Internet, Poe's law applies.
Old 28th July 2019, 20:28     #5409
Lightspeed

Simon Bridges asks questions on endless repeat. Why?
Old 29th July 2019, 09:11     #5410
pxpx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightspeed

It's common practice for opposition to ask questions in this format and has been for literally decades. JK was also good at answering, just like Jacinda is--

(Edit Ab - oh shit sorry I accidentally edited this post rather than quoting it, post is now cut off quite brutally, sorry)
Old 29th July 2019, 12:32     #5411
fixed_truth

I just hope that Bridges stays the Nats leader after the election.
Old 29th July 2019, 13:46     #5412
blynk

He will stay the Nats leader, but if they win he won't be Prime Minister.

They are extremely unlikely to reach 50% they will need to govern, and Peters will not likely side with National.
With one exception if they actually offered him Prime Minister.

So we might have a Nats/NZF coalition with Peters as PM.

That's why I don't believe they will roll Bridges before the election.
Old 29th July 2019, 18:38     #5413
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Quote:
Originally Posted by pxpx
It's common practice for opposition to ask questions in this format and has been for literally decades. JK was also good at answering, just like Jacinda is
The reason is that Jacinda is NOT good at answering questions. At times she is ill-informed and defensive, falling back to embarrassing PR sound bites. Speaker Mallard will then step in to rescue her and rule the questions out of order, and when protests ensue Mallard will eject the protestors from the House. He looks like the shitty Speaker he is, Ardern looks like the parliamentary lightweight she is.
Old 29th July 2019, 20:51     #5414
pxpx

My.. m.. my post..
Old 30th July 2019, 00:06     #5415
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

sorry, stupid posting-from-tram fingers
Old 30th July 2019, 11:16     #5416
pxpx

:P

Most of the post was a bit of a complain about how Question Time seems like a bit of a waste of resources and it would be good if there were some more controls aside from relying on a good speaker (which Mallard is not).

The other bit I pointed out was around Nationals twitter account; which that article suggested was a way for National to gloat about how they tripped up Jacinda in parliament. An analysis of their paltry 16k following suggested they had about 37% fake/inactive accounts following them, and I suggested that the remaining 63% would be so partisan that gloating would have no net effect on Nationals support base.

Its unfortunate for us that time wasting and point scoring seem to be genuine strategies for opposition (this also applies to Labour when they were in opposition).

Last edited by pxpx : 30th July 2019 at 11:18.
Old 30th July 2019, 11:41     #5417
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ab
The reason is that Jacinda is NOT good at answering questions. At times she is ill-informed and defensive, falling back to embarrassing PR sound bites. Speaker Mallard will then step in to rescue her and rule the questions out of order, and when protests ensue Mallard will eject the protestors from the House. He looks like the shitty Speaker he is, Ardern looks like the parliamentary lightweight she is.
Today

Quote:
Jacinda Ardern has personally tried to prevent media from asking about the Ihumātao dispute while on a charm offensive in the Pacific.
Her staff threatened journalists with restricted access to the PM if they did, forcing her Beehive team to intervene from Wellington.
After crisis calls from the capital, media were allowed a second shot.
Old 30th July 2019, 14:32     #5418
Lightspeed

I just think NZ's politicians can't be fucked.

The way NZ politics turns over fairly consistently, the government can anticipate being in opposition and the opposition can anticipate being in government. If you're laying on too hard in opposition then you'll have to put up with the same in power.
Old 9th August 2019, 14:55     #5419
crocos

If you needed another reason to not vote National while Bridges is in charge...
Quote:
He said he will not exert control over National Party MPs who spread misinformation about abortion.

"The reality is, one person's misinformation is another person's fact."
https://www.rnz.co.nz/news/political...eferendum-call

وكل يوم كنت تعيش في العبودية
Old 9th August 2019, 15:06     #5420
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Quote:
Originally Posted by crocos

https://www.rnz.co.nz/news/political...eferendum-call
Can't imagine that epistemological framework serving him well when he was a Crown Prosecutor.
Old 9th August 2019, 21:02     #5421
Lightspeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by crocos
That's not Bridges, that's National being on brand. More of Key's shopping around for academics. Knowledge is something to be sneered at.
Old 15th August 2019, 14:18     #5422
Lightspeed

Simon Bridges' comment 'a very bad turn for NZ politics' - James Shaw

Simon, Simon, Simon. Our statistics are at least as good as your misinformation.
Old 15th August 2019, 14:21     #5423
Lightspeed

Quote:
"The lessons of Trump, the lessons of Brexit, and the lessons of the Australian election seem to have gone to Simon Bridges' head and this 'burn-the-house-down' in order to win approach ... is a very, very bad turn for New Zealand politics.
Maybe we're the ones in the wrong. Perhaps as National voters would have us believe, there is no reality and those attempting to adhere to this fiction are doomed.

(edit Ab - moved a couple of posts so we could have the Bridges wtf moments together)
Old 16th August 2019, 14:49     #5424
Lightspeed

https://www.newsroom.co.nz/2019/08/1...ensus-simpson#

Quote:
Mark Mitchell says Stats NZ provided "upbeat, always positive" advice about the census when he was Statistics Minister.
What's that? National's "everything's always fine" mantra might have been bullshit?

Ah, what am I talking about. That's surely just misinformation. National probably has some more palatable "facts" up it's sleeve.
Old 16th August 2019, 17:16     #5425
blynk

Quote:
What's that? National's "everything's always fine" mantra might have been bullshit?
(Didn't read the article). To be fair, after hearing an interview with James Shaw , the mantra from Dept of Stats was still "everything is fine" all the way up till (and a little after) the census.
Old 16th August 2019, 18:46     #5426
Lightspeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by blynk
(Didn't read the article). To be fair, after hearing an interview with James Shaw , the mantra from Dept of Stats was still "everything is fine" all the way up till (and a little after) the census.
It's what you get when you shop around for the academic that tells you what you want to hear.
Old 16th August 2019, 19:13     #5427
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

The "politicisation of the public service" clusterfuck rolls on. Never tell the Minister bad news, and always support whatever the Minister says.
Old 16th August 2019, 21:34     #5428
Lightspeed

I'm sure all parties are guilty of it, but National cranked that shit. Has anyone forgotten the DHB members resigning, citing National's demand for positive news?
Old 16th August 2019, 21:41     #5429
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Oh please, Madeline Setchell and Erin Leigh?
Old 16th August 2019, 21:42     #5430
Lightspeed

Peter Dunne on post-truth politics: Crossing the bridge to a post-truth world.

Probably should be Random Politics, but Bridges got us talking.
Old 16th August 2019, 22:01     #5431
Lightspeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ab
Oh please, Madeline Setchell and Erin Leigh?
If I didn't already know, I'd be able to guess that all you know about New Zealand these days is what you learn from the news.

I mean, yeah, sure, you can find other instances. But New Zealand just went through 10 years where unless the truth just happened to coincide with National's goals, it was a worthless consideration. We've felt that, it shows.
Old 16th August 2019, 22:07     #5432
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

The politicisation of the public service conducted by Helen Clark’s Labour government was undoubtedly welcomed when National inherited the outcome.
Old 17th August 2019, 00:23     #5433
Lightspeed

Sorry, I'm not handling post-truth society well. It took me weeks to sleep right after reading 1984. Mainly because of how terrifying the idea of a truthless society was.
Old 17th August 2019, 05:02     #5434
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

My opinion is that the public service was turned into a party-political instrument by the Clark government - the most egregious examples being those of the Madeline Setchell and Erin Leigh incidents, each of them "handled" for Labour by the current Speaker of the House Trevor Mallard - and that the subsequent National government was happy to utilise the tool it had been given. etc etc.
Old 26th August 2019, 08:11     #5435
fixed_truth

National MP argues climate change 'is natural' in Facebook rant taken from US right-wing source

Old 26th August 2019, 10:56     #5436
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Old 26th August 2019, 16:37     #5437
Lightspeed

Those are the facts. They are facts by National's definition.
Old 26th August 2019, 17:41     #5438
Lightspeed

Aid agency funds to be tightened - 2015

Quote:
Some agencies are expected to close in a radical revamp of social service funding unveiled by Social Development Minister Anne Tolley.

A new "community investment strategy", published yesterday, will focus most public funding of non-government social services on three priorities:
  • Supporting vulnerable children and children in hardship and reducing maltreatment.
  • Supporting vulnerable young people, including youth offenders, and reducing youth crime.
  • Supporting adult victims/survivors, addressing perpetrators' behaviour, and reducing violent crime.

New Zealand's suicide rate highest since records began

Quote:
The suicide rate for those aged 15-19 in the past year was 23.14 per 100,000 people, up from 16.88 on the previous year - an increase of 37 per cent.
Loving that social development Tolley.
Old 26th August 2019, 19:45     #5439
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Quote:
calling bullshit on this, no way that statement is true
Old 26th August 2019, 20:33     #5440
Lightspeed

Apparently so, in absolute terms. In terms relative to population it's increasing sharply, the last peak being the 90s.