NZGames.com Forums
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Go Back   NZGames.com Forums > General > Open Discussion
User Name
Password

Old 1st August 2011, 23:36     #4281
fidgit
Always itchy

Well, this has been an educational page on this thread, thanks to you all.
Old 1st August 2011, 23:42     #4282
Fx.

yeah started using sickbeard to index my shit a while back for xbmc librarys, fucking nice

doesnt work on american dad but thats cause whoever maintains that on tvdb.org is a bunghead but works for every other show i've thrown at it

fakeedit: and with the internet plans im lookin at in CA automated will be ftw
Old 2nd August 2011, 02:08     #4283
Caesar

Quote:
Originally Posted by crocos
plus certain ones like filesonic are better off avoided.
Whats the problem with filesonic? I was planing on joining them.

So I take it with S92a the copyright holders mostly watch only torrent sites yeah?
And so direct downloads like hotfile, the above site, rapidshare etc are safer???

Last edited by Caesar : 2nd August 2011 at 02:10.
Old 2nd August 2011, 02:13     #4284
crocos

Lots of poor performance complaints - which I can corroborate.

Shit customer service

Random and inconsistent in what they take down (eg they'll take down the third file in a set of RARs or similar)

And my main source-site ( http://bolt.cd ) only allows RS, MU and FServe.

وكل يوم كنت تعيش في العبودية
Old 2nd August 2011, 02:20     #4285
crocos

bloody edit time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caesar
Whats the problem with filesonic? I was planing on joining them.
Lots of poor performance complaints - which I can corroborate.

Shit customer service

Random and inconsistent in what they take down (eg they'll take down the third file in a set of RARs or similar)

And my main source-site (http://bolt.cd) only allows RS, MU, HF and FServe.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caesar
So I take it with S92a the copyright holders mostly watch only torrent sites yeah?
And so direct downloads like hotfile, the above site, rapidshare etc are safer???
Anything that is peer-to-peer or has it's own protocol is easier to monitor, so yes, things like Torrent / DC++ / etc. Download sites like RS are not of as much value as it's harder to trace back the uploader - and it's the uploaders they really want to hit. With Torrent, everyone is an uploader, so it's rich with solid targets. That's where VPNs come into play so that you can't be traced back.

وكل يوم كنت تعيش في العبودية
Old 2nd August 2011, 09:04     #4286
^BITES^

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rince
so hypothetically speaking.... what are people looking at post Sept 1?

RapidsharePro account?
Shell in a "don't give a fuck" country?

???
Run a few shells in "dont give a fuck" countries, and give axx to mates for "donations" etc.

Have users who just download from the backend without selecting uploads etc now to bypass the whole deal, usually less techies, just finished the search engine for that this weekend .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crocos
Anything that is peer-to-peer or has it's own protocol is easier to monitor, so yes, things like Torrent / DC++ / etc. Download sites like RS are not of as much value as it's harder to trace back the uploader - and it's the uploaders they really want to hit. With Torrent, everyone is an uploader, so it's rich with solid targets. That's where VPNs come into play so that you can't be traced back.
Yeah there have already been cases of blogs/fake sites being created etc to "Share" these sorts of links, and notices have been issued as a result.

P2P via HTTP is still p2p ... you're just adding delay in the middle with a communal/free host.

()_) ()_)--o-)_)

Last edited by ^BITES^ : 2nd August 2011 at 09:08.
Old 2nd August 2011, 21:32     #4287
fidgit
Always itchy

Quote:
Originally Posted by crocos
That's where VPNs come into play so that you can't be traced back.
I was thinking about this - it's already illegal to upload and download in the US right? So, if you've got a VPN you need it to not be based out of the US? So the UK is also (almost I think) out, since they've almost passed their version of the DMCA. So... those of you looking to VPN or shell, where are you passing yourselves through?
Old 2nd August 2011, 22:11     #4288
StN
I have detailed files

Glasnost comrade.
Old 2nd August 2011, 22:50     #4289
Rince
SLUTS!!!!!!!

the new law is all about P2P...
file sharing via RS et al is already covered.

source

edit: also note... even though the new law comes into effect 1/9/2011, they are going to start looking at logs from 11/08/2011

Last edited by Rince : 2nd August 2011 at 22:52.
Old 3rd August 2011, 04:50     #4290
[BT]Monza

Question

All this talk about NZ's law change has made me think I should stock up on TV shows while still in the UK.

Made a spreadsheet to help me keep track of it all, any must haves I should add to the list?
Old 3rd August 2011, 06:40     #4291
Deadmeat

Fringe
Luther
Dr Who
Hustle
Spooks
30 Rock
Wire in the Blood
Supernatural
Spatacus

Quote:
Originally Posted by fidgit
I was thinking about this - it's already illegal to upload and download in the US right? So, if you've got a VPN you need it to not be based out of the US? So the UK is also (almost I think) out, since they've almost passed their version of the DMCA. So... those of you looking to VPN or shell, where are you passing yourselves through?
For torrenting you want to look out for a service that does not log your IP. Then even if a notice is sent to your host, they can say with a straight face that they don't know who the IP belongs too. They would have your credit card details but that only proves you are a customer, not the offender.
Old 3rd August 2011, 10:26     #4292
Rince
SLUTS!!!!!!!

what about these guys: http://prq.se & this service: http://prq.se/?p=tunnel&intl=1
Old 3rd August 2011, 12:11     #4293
blur^

if you are worried about bittorrent, dont use public trackers ie thepiratebay, btjunkie etc etc and dont use quasi-public "private sites" that do mass invites like iptorrents, torrentbytes etc, anything that an 'ip' owner can easily get access to

you are pretty safe on any decent private site, and untouchable if you use any sort of seedbox that does ssl
Old 3rd August 2011, 13:54     #4294
Deadmeat

What is it about a private torrent site that makes it any more secure than a public one? Either way without taking added steps your IP is exposed to anyone else on the torrent. Presumably if an average nzg member can get access to one of these 'decent' sites, so could a paid investigator.
Old 3rd August 2011, 14:06     #4295
Fx.

more or less ease of access

they're going to go after piratebay etc before hard to access private ones just like they hit limewire/kazaa hard before going after torrents at all.
Old 3rd August 2011, 21:03     #4296
Deadmeat

true blood

sooki doesn't path sam but then in the next scene listens to her brother?
Old 3rd August 2011, 22:36     #4297
Brandoo

Quote:
what about these guys: http://prq.se & this service: http://prq.se/?p=tunnel&intl=1
Usenet? Find a server that doesn't log access?
Old 3rd August 2011, 22:37     #4298
wazza
*flex*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadmeat
exactly what i thought
Old 4th August 2011, 17:21     #4299
Sirens Song

Quote:
Originally Posted by blur^
if you are worried about bittorrent, dont use public trackers ie thepiratebay, btjunkie etc etc and dont use quasi-public "private sites" that do mass invites like iptorrents, torrentbytes etc, anything that an 'ip' owner can easily get access to

you are pretty safe on any decent private site, and untouchable if you use any sort of seedbox that does ssl
Examples plz?
Old 4th August 2011, 18:28     #4300
Cyberbob

Quote:
She's said before (before she knew what he was) that all she gets from him is simple commands and grunts, anyway (as if she was reading an animal).
Old 4th August 2011, 20:53     #4301
StN
I have detailed files

Quote:
Originally Posted by wugambino
Curb your enthusiasm season 8
: )
Old 5th August 2011, 19:06     #4302
Sirens Song

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirens Song
Examples plz?
Old 5th August 2011, 22:03     #4303
Sirens Song

Ok, I'm a little bit unclear on this seedbox/private tracker thing.

So a seedbox is what exactly?
From what I can see its like ... you rent space on a secure server. That server will download what you want, ie suits.s01e07.avi from whatever torrent site/tracker. So the ip address of that server is what actually contacts the torrent site/tracker. THEN you download the file from your rented server via FTP so your ip address never touches the torrent site/tracker and is therefore unable to be linked to the downloading of suits.s01e07.avi??

Is that how it is or am I just making shit up?
Old 5th August 2011, 22:12     #4304
Juice

You got it in one. A bit more pissing about but on the up side you never have to worry about your ratio again.

/edit they too may be picky about using public servers thou...

Last edited by Juice : 5th August 2011 at 22:14.
Old 5th August 2011, 22:14     #4305
Fx.

Quote:
Ok, I'm a little bit unclear on this seedbox/private tracker thing.
So a seedbox is what exactly?
pretty much, you log into the torrent client on the box via web interface and load it full of torrents then ftp to it or whatever and dload

connection is between you and it not you and the torrent
Old 6th August 2011, 09:02     #4306
Sirens Song

So as far as seedboxes and private sites go, anyone using anything they can recommend?
Or is there another way that is better?

I'm a bit of a n00b but I honestly can not, NOT go back to sitting through shortland street with the wife. I need decent TV! So I need your help guys.
Any help, tips, invites or links would be much much much appreciated.

nzg.sirenssong at the gee male.
Old 7th August 2011, 19:19     #4307
blur^

Quote:
What is it about a private torrent site that makes it any more secure than a public one? Either way without taking added steps your IP is exposed to anyone else on the torrent. Presumably if an average nzg member can get access to one of these 'decent' sites, so could a paid investigator.
well something like pirate bay has millions of easy people to go after, private site has a very small user base and generally is a bit harder to get into then for example a thread on nzgames where you go bro hook me up with an invite

which one would be easy money? the 100k people leeching the latest big movie or spend weeks making friends trying to get inside to go after a handful *shrug*
Old 8th August 2011, 20:15     #4308
Sirens Song

Ok, BRO got any tips on how to make awesome friends and be successful?
Old 8th August 2011, 21:55     #4309
chiQ
Frag-muff

Watched the first episode of Cougartown the other night. Utterly hilarious. Need to get more.
Old 8th August 2011, 23:34     #4310
Pepsi
Konnichiwa, bitches

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiQ
Watched the first episode of Cougartown the other night. Utterly hilarious. Need to get more.

One of my fav shows tbh..
Old 11th August 2011, 17:46     #4311
Rince
SLUTS!!!!!!!

just a reminder: monitoring of P2P starts today.
The law comes into effect 1/9/2011, but can apply to activity from up to 21 days prior (ie today)

http://techliberty.org.nz/the-infrin...-starts-today/
Old 11th August 2011, 19:10     #4312
Sirens Song

So what measures (if any) are you guys actually putting in place to protect yourselves?
I'm just going to keep downloading and see what happens
Old 11th August 2011, 20:00     #4313
Nothing

Well I'd be interested to know when you get your first infringement notice then.
Old 11th August 2011, 21:08     #4314
Sirens Song

Sure, I'll let you know.
Old 11th August 2011, 22:42     #4315
[BT]Monza

Thumbs up

Quote:
I'm just going to keep downloading and see what happens
Old 11th August 2011, 22:58     #4316
Brandoo

Quote:
Also found this - http://www.anonybittorrent.com/signup.htm

Check out the address...
Old 11th August 2011, 23:33     #4317
fidgit
Always itchy

Hmm I wonder if that's illegal, under some kind of 'circumventing other measures' rule.
Old 12th August 2011, 13:12     #4318
Rince
SLUTS!!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandoo
Also found this - http://www.anonybittorrent.com/signup.htm

Check out the address...

Suite # 3508
24B Moorefield road
Johnsonville, Wellington 6037
New Zealand
Email : [email protected]

That's the JVille community centre!!!
?!?!?!?!??!?!?!?!?!?!??!?!?!?

Last edited by Rince : 12th August 2011 at 13:13.
Old 20th August 2011, 09:48     #4319
wugambino
Electric Boogaloo

Keith Spry Pool represent!

Have been using a seedbox for a week now, no complain of product ... ssh socks tunnel has been handy a couple of times to.
Old 20th August 2011, 10:05     #4320
Sirens Song

Well I signed up to that one posted above just to see how much of a pain in the ass it is.
I set it up exactly to their specs but no traffic will go through their ssh tunnel.
Raised a support ticket, they took 3 days to get back to me and say, "oh yup, from your screen shots you're set up perfectly, confirm you're still having issues?" went back to them saying YES, STILL. so....that was a huge waste of $7 hard earned dollars.

/continue torrenting anyway