NZGames.com Forums
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Go Back   NZGames.com Forums > General > Open Discussion
User Name
Password

Old 17th February 2011, 14:18     #7561
tarzan007

I'm in Seoul, South Korea. It snowed last night. I've been on holiday since December 18, start my new job teaching next Tuesday. All is good!

-edit- and the internet is fast

Last edited by tarzan007 : 17th February 2011 at 14:23.
Old 17th February 2011, 17:46     #7562
[fe]

High on Fire doing a 75min set at whammy bar, on top of the 45min KA gig with the Melvins.
Old 17th February 2011, 19:21     #7563
StN
I have detailed files

Meat raffles?
Vaccuum packed Fillet FTW!
Old 17th February 2011, 21:57     #7564
Jamiepo

Quote:
Originally Posted by StN
Meat raffles?
Vaccuum packed Fillet FTW!

What, you won another one? I am sure there were a few gears ground at the bar
Old 17th February 2011, 22:23     #7565
StN
I have detailed files

Yeah - I think that's close to five in a row. Only bought two tickets tonight.
Old 17th February 2011, 22:25     #7566
wazza
*flex*

in the first 4 weeks I was in Blackball mom won the raffle 3 times. I played it last week for the first time, using my day from my date of birth as the number and I won. Pretty much the first time I've done a raffle.

Feeling it.

We have a choice of a cheap meat pack, a size 18 chicken or two size 14 chickens. The meat pack is utter shite, so mom chose the 14's each time, I chose the 18 the other day. Not bad for $2! (I think mom buys about 3 tickets)
Old 17th February 2011, 22:50     #7567
Delphinus

Kitesurfing oils my gears. Went out for 2nd lesson today and got up and cruising semi-across wind on the board. SOOO much fun!
Old 17th February 2011, 22:55     #7568
Heresy
yawn.

how long have you been in Blackball waz?
Old 17th February 2011, 22:59     #7569
wazza
*flex*

November 14th or there abouts
Old 18th February 2011, 00:42     #7570
doppelgänger of someone

Arsenal beating Barca T_T <- tears of joy
Old 18th February 2011, 00:44     #7571
cyc
Objection!

Now that Borders and Whitcoulls are going into administration, I am just rubbing my hands with glee at the thought of scoring some seriously cheap books.
Old 18th February 2011, 00:50     #7572
CCS
Stunt Pants

Does voluntary administration necessarily mean they're going out of business/receivership? I don't know how that shit works.

I feel sorry for anyone with a Kobo now... well, even more sorry than I felt for them for owning the device in the first place.
Old 18th February 2011, 01:05     #7573
cyc
Objection!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCS
Does voluntary administration necessarily mean they're going out of business/receivership? I don't know how that shit works.

I feel sorry for anyone with a Kobo now... well, even more sorry than I felt for them for owning the device in the first place.
Voluntary administration is kind of a half-way house between a company running as normal and having a company liquidated - i.e. liquidators coming in and flogging off assets to repay creditors pursuant to a defined order - or a receivership, where a receiver comes in to "lock down" and realise assets which had been pledged as security for lending for the benefit of the secured creditors only. You go into VA usually because the company is either insolvent or is about to become insolvent (i.e. debts exceeding all assets).

When an administrator is appointed, most creditors are barred from enforcing their debts against the company without the administrator's consent during a defined "freeze" period. During the freeze period, the administrator will investigate the affairs of the company and hold two meetings with the company's creditors. It's the second meeting and the hope for a positive outcome there that drives company directors into putting their companies into administration as opposed to liquidation.

At the second meeting, provided all the prior investigations went well, the administrator will -- on behalf of the company -- put a Deed of Company Arrangement (DoCA) to a vote by the creditors. What the DoCA will essentially promise is that if the creditors accept it instead of immediately liquidating the company, they will receive a better return. But the creditors must, of course, forgive some of the company's debts or at least lessen the grip which they might otherwise have had on it to enable it to keep trading. If 75% of all creditors agree to the DoCA (measured either by value of the company's debts or relevant voting classes), then the DoCA binds all creditors except for secured creditors and those holding guarantees in respect of the company's debts.

Given the way book selling industry is going and the darn stupid way in which Whitcoulls (especially) is run, I think this group is doomed. Or at least I hope so -- hey I feel sorry for the staff but I am looking forward to picking up great books for a few bucks each.
Old 18th February 2011, 01:22     #7574
JiggaRoll
For the Horo

Quote:
Originally Posted by doppelgänger of someone
Arsenal beating Barca T_T <- tears of joy
The whole of Wednesday oiled my gears.

Went to an interview for a job that I thought was out of my league. 20 mins after the interview they called saying subject to references the job was mine. 15k pay increase.

Got good tickets for the Carling Cup Final at Wembley next weekend.

Arsenal beat Barca.
Old 18th February 2011, 01:25     #7575
cyc
Objection!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyc
Given the way book selling industry is going and the darn stupid way in which Whitcoulls (especially) is run, I think this group is doomed. Or at least I hope so -- hey I feel sorry for the staff but I am looking forward to picking up great books for a few bucks each.
More idle speculation from me...*

I reckon whether Whitcoulls and Borders ultimately end up being fucked or not depends to a significant degree on the extent to which they own their existing stock and other assets. This lot being the subject of a previous private equity takeover, I suspect whoever financed the purchase price would have demanded a pretty hefty General Security Agreement on all of the group's assets to mitigate the risk of what is likely to have been a pretty highly-leveraged purchase. In these times, lenders often take the "I'll get my security now and lessen my losses" approach. If all of a sudden the shops lose a huge amount of stock, even if the non-secure creditors want to support a DoCA and keep W and B going, it's hard to see how they can trade long term.

If the above issue works out in W and B's favour, I suspect potential major creditors like the landlords (think Westfield here especially) will come to the party somewhat for obvious reasons, as will the publishers. If W and B suddenly disappeared, the only chain bookstore left will be Paperplus -- and they really scarcely count as serious bookshops.

I wonder also whether the Warehouse will see this as a serious opportunity to really muscle into the book market and hope to advantage of their existing warehousing and inventory experties as well to do better. Interesting times.

* I have no inside information
Old 18th February 2011, 01:45     #7576
CCS
Stunt Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyc
I agree with you about how Borders is run - fucking rip-off merchants. Not certain about your beef with Whitcoulls (their ebook pricing is absurd though).

But yes, some cheap books would be great.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyc
I wonder also whether the Warehouse will see this as a serious opportunity to really muscle into the book market and hope to advantage of their existing warehousing and inventory experties as well to do better. Interesting times.
I hope the Warehouse would do that. Their book range at the moment is utter crap. I wonder if they'd take over/license the Kobo and sell ebooks for it. Hmmm.
Old 18th February 2011, 02:31     #7577
cyc
Objection!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCS
I agree with you about how Borders is run - fucking rip-off merchants. Not certain about your beef with Whitcoulls (their ebook pricing is absurd though).
I tend to have the opposite assessment of Borders and Whitcoulls from you. Whilst I think neither W or B is particularly well run, I do have some liking for Borders and, IMO, it does a few exciting things. With the exception of the odd independent book store, B is the only bookshop in NZ where you can get reasonably comfortable seats on which to sit whilst flipping through their books a wee bit before purchasing, a reasonably broad range of books, and some (slight) degree of preparedness to offer decent discounts to mitigate the absurd retail prices of books here.

Whitcoulls on the other hand, with the exception of their ebook offerings, has been nothing other than the typical 20th century corporate "Crowd every corner to win" slug. Most of its sales and offers are derisory, their store layouts largely completely non-conducive to anything other than "Come in, grab it, and get the fuck out", and don't get me started about the lack of choices in their suburban stores especially. Dear Whitcoulls, if I want my eyes to be polluted by 50 fucking copies of Mark Ellis' latest shit, I'll let you know. And their inability to engage in any sort of sensible cost control is just amazing. How long has the Westfield Mall in Albany opened? 3 years down the track these idiots still have a store 200 metres across the road competing with the one they have inside Westfield which is undoubtedly paying massive rent.
Old 18th February 2011, 03:03     #7578
Ajax
Architeuthis

This clears the way for Dymocks domination! or not..
Old 18th February 2011, 08:19     #7579
[Malks] Pixie

The Borders store in Wellington is pathetic - I understand that the one in Auckland is pretty good though... Not really shedding a tear for the loss Whitcoulls either. It is kind of a pity that Dymocks couldn't hold out in Wellington - at least we've still got Unity books here..

Pixie
Old 18th February 2011, 09:10     #7580
StN
I have detailed files

Roll on the cheap BR discs and DVD box sets...
Old 18th February 2011, 09:15     #7581
chiQ
Frag-muff

Unity Books/Beattie & Forbes for life! I've switched to the independent book stores for non-e-books. The big chains are killing them off.
Old 18th February 2011, 09:26     #7582
Luse

Immediate results:

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/business/n...ectid=10707097
Old 18th February 2011, 09:37     #7583
crocos

Huh... I got given a Whitcoulls voucher on the weekend. Should probably use it I guess.

وكل يوم كنت تعيش في العبودية
Old 18th February 2011, 09:41     #7584
Spink

Quote:
Originally Posted by [Malks] Pixie
The Borders store in Wellington is pathetic - I understand that the one in Auckland is pretty good though... Not really shedding a tear for the loss Whitcoulls either. It is kind of a pity that Dymocks couldn't hold out in Wellington - at least we've still got Unity books here..

Pixie
Yeah the acquisitions people for wellington borders seemed pretty retarded. I mean you see 100 copies of the new Wheel of Time book sitting unsold from the hoped christmas rush where you've been waiting 3 months and are about to order from Amazon for 20 other books from other pretty popular series or writers that never made it on the shelves.

tbh PaperPlus (here) is actually impressing me a lot lately. They had copies of the new Joe Abercrombie book on day one, they had copies of all the brandon sanderson books I wanted to read where borders didn't, but maybe I just got lucky with particular books and I'll be frustrated later. They are pretty expensive compared to whitcoulls or borders at the moment though but having new books when they're new is kinda worth it. I think it took borders wellington 1-2 months to get the first Patrick Rothfuss book on shelves too that was ridiculous considering how popular it was.

I guess it could be an issue of distributors but if that were the case then why isn't PaperPlus failing? D:
Old 18th February 2011, 09:48     #7585
[Malks] Pixie

I'm reading lots of non-fiction at the moment (being at uni) so Unity suits me quite well, plus I've got access to the university library which is great!

Still I do kind of feel sad about the demise of books stores in general - so many of them seem unable to get to grips with the changes taking place, both to the industry and to their consumers.

Pixie
Old 18th February 2011, 09:49     #7586
StN
I have detailed files

The Nile seems to be shipping direct from Oz of late.
Old 18th February 2011, 09:55     #7587
^BITES^

Missus ordered me the entire back catalog (hardcover versions too) of "The Walking Dead" comics .... epic ... cept now she wants to read them, also a good thing :P

()_) ()_)--o-)_)
Old 18th February 2011, 19:38     #7588
dylan
Huh?

First ever post in OMG thread, only 190 pages, guess they don't get oiled much

hot girl and her (assume) bf overtook me on the footpath today, they had barely walked 5 - 10 steps and a convenient gust of wind blew her short skirt up revealing that she had no underpants on whatsoever

She of course got embarassed and tried to hold her skirt down but over the next 30 seconds it more or less happened a couple more times (she was carrying a handbag so only had one free hand)...this was pretty much the best day of my life
Old 18th February 2011, 21:58     #7589
aR Que

high five.
Old 18th February 2011, 22:03     #7590
wazza
*flex*

Quote:
Originally Posted by dylan
First ever post in OMG thread, only 190 pages, guess they don't get oiled much

hot girl and her (assume) bf overtook me on the footpath today, they had barely walked 5 - 10 steps and a convenient gust of wind blew her short skirt up revealing that she had no underpants on whatsoever

She of course got embarassed and tried to hold her skirt down but over the next 30 seconds it more or less happened a couple more times (she was carrying a handbag so only had one free hand)...this was pretty much the best day of my life
FUCK YES. I worked at the Airport for a while, this happened twice. And I concur, right up there with the best moments of my life.

Fuck yes. GG.
Old 18th February 2011, 22:19     #7591
chiQ
Frag-muff

Hah! Awesome. One of those warm, fuzzy moments, in every sense of the words.
Old 18th February 2011, 23:41     #7592
doppelgänger of someone

You know what a gentleman would do? Look away, because he wouldn't want to put her in a disadvantage.

That gentleman is possibly a queer as well.
Old 19th February 2011, 00:18     #7593
wazza
*flex*

exactly, it's bullshit. it's primal. would fuck on the spot, sorry.
Old 19th February 2011, 01:10     #7594
fidgit
Always itchy

This evening, Amanda Palmer played a free impromptu show in Wellington's Civic Square. It was awesome.

I video'd a bunch of the songs, and they came out really well considering the ambient noise, and that I was using a Flip-type camera.

This is her and Jason Webley covering The Clash's Should I Stay or Should I Go. (she prepared the mosh pit before hand, a necessity given she was only playing a ukulele).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zvjr2YRIMTM

Also oiled: Tomorrow I have ticket for her show at Bodega
Old 19th February 2011, 01:41     #7595
CCS
Stunt Pants

^

What that was fucking gay. Wellington, eh. *shakes head*
Old 19th February 2011, 21:14     #7596
Lord Pidgington

If book shopping in Wellington:

Go to Unity and skim books of interest.

Once selection is made either:
a) Buy the book at Unity in lame attempt to spade the educated female employee.
b) Buy the book off Amazon/Fishpond (subject to patience, exchange rates, etc).
Old 20th February 2011, 13:36     #7597
MadMax
Stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Pidgington
If book shopping in Wellington:

Go to Unity and skim books of interest.

Once selection is made:
jot down an unusual sentence from the text, google it and download the resulting pdf.
fixed
Old 21st February 2011, 10:55     #7598
^BITES^

Forced leave due to working too much (managers words)...

Around 250hours ... I now no longer work Fridays as a result...

lol 4 days weeks till the end of the year.... not including the long weekends/4-day weekends.

Lazy gears now oiled.

()_) ()_)--o-)_)
Old 21st February 2011, 11:43     #7599
wazza
*flex*

Yeah, my uncle and ex's mom had that happen to them too
Old 21st February 2011, 12:02     #7600
^BITES^

Quote:
Originally Posted by wazza
Yeah, my uncle and ex's mom had that happen to them too
I'd prefer the coin tbh and as I've told them ... not having to worry about bills or what I can buy (not that I really do but you know what I mean) is VERY relaxing .... I work lots of overtime etc ... but I consider it "part of the job" (and I only sleep 4 hours a day natively anyway .. so I'm already awake :P) .. so never take the time off, total in lieu, holiday and sick leave I'm up to around 400 hours :|

()_) ()_)--o-)_)