Go Back   NZGames.com Forums > General > Open Discussion > The year of rugby
User Name
Password

Old 14th December 2007, 15:02     #1
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Deans got it

Deans named new Wallabies coach

New Zealand's Robbie Deans is the new Wallabies coach, with the Australian Rugby Union set to announce the appointment officially at 3pm today (NZ time).

http://www.rugbyheaven.co.nz/4324132a22363.html
Old 14th December 2007, 15:13     #2
badassmofo

Ah well, looks like the Aussies are going to need a bigger Trophy Cabinet.
He has the winner mentality, so he'll suit Australia just fine.
Old 14th December 2007, 15:57     #3
StN
I have detailed files

Well done that man.
Old 14th December 2007, 16:45     #4
caffiend

Well... I was completely wrong then. I thought it was all bluster and gamesmanship pre-ABs coach appointment.

A NZer coaching the Wallabies, eh. There'll be a few Aussie friends of mine sucking back some pride at the moment...
Old 14th December 2007, 18:42     #5
fixed_truth

not bad for 2nd prize
Old 14th December 2007, 20:05     #6
StN
I have detailed files

In no way can you compare it to a Coutts.

"Hello, I'd like to apply for a $400K job"

"No, piss off, we don't want you!"

"Ahh - Ok, I'll take this $1.1M one then..."
Old 14th December 2007, 20:33     #7
Russian

muh

Everybody please get off Deans's cock.

This will prove once and for all what an overrated piece of shit coach he is.
Old 14th December 2007, 20:49     #8
QWERTY?

haha,

i think hes pretty fucked now if he wants to be the AB's coach down the line, if the wallabies win the next RWC under him, he will be the most hated coach in NZ, and if they bomb out, he'll be a losing traitor coach (in the publics eye) and still not be wanted.

but yeh, seems like the logical progression for him.
Old 15th December 2007, 10:50     #9
Griven

Personally, i think there will be alot of administrators this side of the Tasman with egg on their face come July next year. The Australian team is currently on a low even though they do have more than a few A grade players, Deans will improve the Wallabies no doubt. So much so i think next year will see the Tri-Nations and Bledisloe head his way. Australia's defense has always been solid combine that with Dean's attacking style and rugby nous and you can see why the ARU is thanking the NZRU for the christmas present.
Old 15th December 2007, 12:20     #10
caffiend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griven
... So much so i think next year will see the Tri-Nations and Bledisloe head his way...
I think you're dreamin'. And even if they do it next year I doubt that would be down to Deans - more like attrition from the ABs and Boks levelling the teams.
Old 17th December 2007, 19:27     #11
-Dr.J-

If Deans still has a hardon for the AB's coaching position then this has really assisted us. Ageing Graham is definitely a good coach, but he's not going any further than the next 2 or so years maybe pushing out to 4 if he tries for the world cup. We need a decent future prospect looking forward. Graham Henry's current contract is only for 2 years, and if he is getting a bit past it / not performing / lost his cojones for the job then we can have observed his best possible replacement.

Personally I think Deans is a quality coach who has potential to be the best, but there's a huge difference between club coaching and international coaching. It's leagues versus knockout tourneys essentially, with a team that aren't totally familiar how each other play. It will be interesting to see how he makes that transition. Hopefully he is sweet as, I'd really like to see him be the one to kick us on toward our (very own backyard) world cup.
Old 18th December 2007, 09:45     #12
Griven

Deans is contracted to aussie until end of 2011, the only thing hes going to be doing come 2011 is coaching the wallabies to world cup glory for the third time...
Old 18th December 2007, 11:34     #13
Spoon1
Mmm... Sacrilicious

Quote:
Harden up Griv. There'll be plenty of beer to spill your tears into *IF* we lose the next WC.
Old 18th December 2007, 11:44     #14
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Dr.J-
Personally I think Deans is a quality coach who has potential to be the best, but there's a huge difference between club coaching and international coaching.
I'd hardly call the Super 12/14 "club coaching". There have been a couple of years in which I have rated Dean's Crusaders as a better team than the All Blacks.
Old 18th December 2007, 15:57     #15
doppelgänger of someone

if you just look at the results and nothing else, Deans would get ABs and Wallabies job hands down, with his super Super 12/14 records. Personally I find Crusaders BORING, not to mention having a very un-PC name, but we are talking about results and nothing else.

People have been saying NZRFU should not sack coaches each time after they lose the world cup, so as to give the coaches a chance to improve. (Which is one argument in Henry's favour)

I say BULLSHIT. Each time ABs failed to win RWC, the coaches (and the players) had finally been exposed as not good enough to win it. QED. Yes all the recent coaches are successful in test matches, you can almost take from grant that anyone good enough to apply for ABs head coach will be good enough to maintain test match record. But you want ABs to win EVERYTHING. And the results showed all the previous coaches failed in this respect. IMO, if result is all that matters, the decision to sack coaches after they have failed to win RWC is the right one.

In this particular case, Henry's approach to world cup, including conditioning and rotation, didn't paid off (i.e. a mistake), while Dean is not known to have make any major mistake. Somewhere in the future Deans may make mistake, but we don't know yet. This is why NZRFU should have given Deans the chance. Henry will learn from his mistakes, yes. Well Deans will learn from Henry's mistake too.
Old 19th December 2007, 09:14     #16
untouchable

Quote:
Personally, i think there will be alot of administrators this side of the Tasman with egg on their face come July next year. The Australian team is currently on a low even though they do have more than a few A grade players, Deans will improve the Wallabies no doubt. So much so i think next year will see the Tri-Nations and Bledisloe head his way. Australia's defense has always been solid combine that with Dean's attacking style and rugby nous and you can see why the ARU is thanking the NZRU for the christmas present.

I cant believe this attitude, that now Australia has a reasonable coach they will be radically improved..

Deans will have hardly any time with them before the Tri Nations this year, and with all of Australias retirements I cant see much changing in such a short amount of time. Sure he has the ability to improve them over a good length of time but everyone who thinks the Wallabies are now suddenly awesome obviously havent seen much Australian rugby over the past few years.

Graham Henry is still a very good coach, and his record over the past 4 years has been one of the best. Id be very disappointed if the All Blacks were worried if SunTzu himself was coaching Australia, they should have the confidence to beat any team, and not get caught up in all this crap.
Old 22nd December 2007, 14:12     #17
Stilgar
Rough Joker

Quote:
the decision to sack coaches after they have failed to win RWC is the right one.
I like how we won the world cup after sacking all those other coaches.
Old 22nd December 2007, 17:56     #18
Phrack

Does anyone think Deans could coach the Manawatu Turbos to Air NZ Cup victory?

Unless Aussie have some amazing youth coming through that Deans can work with, they're not going to be this devastating force described in this thread. He's a good coach, not a magician.
Old 27th December 2007, 17:24     #19
Ashley
Fuck up Ashley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phrack
Does anyone think Deans could coach the Manawatu Turbos to Air NZ Cup victory?
There is not a single coach in the history of the world capable of this.