User Name
Password

Old 17th April 2008, 15:08     #1
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

RWC 2007-fiasco review released

http://www.rugbyheaven.co.nz/4484833a22363.html

Quote:
The All Blacks and the NZRU have been highly criticised by the independent review of the World Cup campaign. It emphasised the reconditioning programme, an over-sized team management, lack of quality game time and failed on-field leadership as major reasons for their quarter-final exit.
Henry would have been out on his ass if this review had been conducted straight after the RWC.
Old 17th April 2008, 15:15     #2
ZoSo

Basically what you and I were saying Ab while others were bending over backwards to make excuses for these guys.
I still have people telling me it was all down to the ref. They just can't see the disaster that was building, right from the 1st pre-RWC game.
Old 17th April 2008, 15:19     #3
caffiend

Meh. A lawyer and a softball coach's opinions.

It's all been discussed before - none of the reasons they've settled on is anything new, it's just that they've selected the ones on which to settle.

Frankly the various threads on here, discussions with mates and the random warblings of 'bloke down t' pub' have just as much credence.
Old 17th April 2008, 15:32     #4
ZoSo

Quote:
Originally Posted by caffiend
Frankly the various threads on here, discussions with mates and the random warblings of 'bloke down t' pub' have just as much credence.
I dunno, Appendix 1 & 2 looks a little more impressive (and informed) than your listing.

http://www.rugbyheaven.co.nz/asset/I...p_campaign.pdf
Old 17th April 2008, 15:47     #5
caffiend

Yeah, point taken. There were a lot of 'experts' interviewed...

That still doesn't change the fact that there is nothing revelatory or anything of major significance that has changed from what pretty much everyone in NZ who gave a shit had already arrived at.
Old 17th April 2008, 16:18     #6
blynk

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZoSo
Basically what you and I were saying Ab while others were bending over backwards to make excuses for these guys.
I still have people telling me it was all down to the ref. They just can't see the disaster that was building, right from the 1st pre-RWC game.
Yes, a disaster was building.
The likely hood is that we would never have won the world cup.
But the ref had a big affect on us dropping out 5-8th place opposed to 3/4th place.
Old 17th April 2008, 16:25     #7
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Quote:
Originally Posted by blynk
Yes, a disaster was building.
The likely hood is that we would never have won the world cup.
But everything's better now, because the All Blacks now have the same coach with the same staff employed by the same board. See? All better.

Well, except for unions facing bankruptcy, attendances and TV viewer numbers in the toilet, and sponsors and partners heading for the exits. Except for those things.
Old 17th April 2008, 17:04     #8
blynk

But how much of that was because of the 2007 year of mistakes?
I believe attendances and TV viewer numbers already declining.

Also, you would have to say that things will be a lot more settled the next time around. Any big schemes (like the reconditioning period) are not going to be easily agreed upon. There is going to be a lot more of the basics done this time.

I can see that there are going to be so many interesting comments everytime ABs play Oz for the next 4 years.
Old 17th April 2008, 20:13     #9
_Incubus_

Its so hard to understand, the boys took it to the nz cops team for their RWC warm up match..
Old 18th April 2008, 12:08     #10
JiggaRoll
For the Horo

The NZRFU is a joke.

Was listening to Jock Hobbs on the radio last night still trying to defend the player rotation system, lack of game time and the reconditioning bullshit and then stating that Henry would still have got the job regardless of whether or not the review had have come out earlier, because coach selection was based on different needs. Also according to Hobbs as long as we are perceived as the best team in the world we don't need any world cups. What a fuckin crock.

Part of me is hoping that the Aussies and Deans maul us in the 3N so the NZRFU might just pulls its head out of its arse.

I don't agree with it fully being the refs fault we lost the game. We still had plenty of chances to win that game. Just too many bad decisions by the players at the end.
Old 18th April 2008, 12:31     #11
mr selfdestruct
The Deliverator

The biggest reason for me was that the All Blacks were already looking towards the semi-final and weren't amped up enough to do what needed to be done to win the Quarter. Might have helped if Richie had watched France v Ireland too :P
Old 18th April 2008, 12:38     #12
caffiend

Don't forget that the report says the "conditioning programme was based on a sound premise". It criticises the execution of that programme, but not the fact the reconditiong was essentially a good idea.

The problem seems to be that it wasn't thought through properly, and was undertaken at a time which necessitated the missing of crucial S14 games - robbing them of game time and the franchises of revenue/marketing clout.

If it was held at the right time, or maybe in conjunction with S14 games, then it possibly would've worked. You can almost see a rotating 2 week gametime, 2 week conditioning policy as being an idea in an RWC year?

Last edited by caffiend : 18th April 2008 at 12:40.
Old 18th April 2008, 13:39     #13
mr selfdestruct
The Deliverator

Yeah caffiend that makes more sense to me rather than pulling the players out for a whole block of time.
Old 18th April 2008, 13:48     #14
blynk

I imagined the conditioning program starting before the S14, or after it.
Old 18th April 2008, 14:04     #15
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Quote:
Originally Posted by JiggaRoll
The NZRFU is a joke.
Old 18th April 2008, 15:59     #16
caffiend

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr selfdestruct
Yeah caffiend that makes more sense to me rather than pulling the players out for a whole block of time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by blynk
I imagined the conditioning program starting before the S14, or after it.
Yep. The reconditioning should stay. Let's just do it as well as the Saffas did.
Old 18th April 2008, 16:04     #17
mr selfdestruct
The Deliverator

Ab: Can you please wear your Chiefs jersey tonight? The boys are going to need all the help they can get!
Old 18th April 2008, 16:44     #18
ePi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ab
But everything's better now, because the All Blacks now have the same coach with the same staff employed by the same board. See? All better.
I believe "learning from one's mistakes," applies here and "sacking the coach after RWC losses has never worked in the past for us." We lost by a couple of points to the host nation (although the QF wasn't played IN France) and it was a forward pass that got them the lead near the end of a game.

It was one bad game and the conditioning was an experiment that failed.

I think Henry has been awesome over the last few years and fully welcome him to stay as long as he can.

All the nay sayers can go fuck off to Australia. Oh, some of you already have.