Go Back   NZGames.com Forums > General > Open Discussion
User Name
Password

Old 26th November 2009, 13:45     #16041
dylan
Huh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vrtigo
well, the guy i linked works within 2km of the world trade center. pretty large coincidence if not him.
Uh, yeah. Not that large man. There's probably like a hundred billion people in that 2km radius.
Old 26th November 2009, 13:49     #16042
Vrtigo
Marginal Poster

yea, youre probably right
Old 26th November 2009, 13:49     #16043
StN
I have detailed files

Probably Brian Cohen's brother - now he was a very naughty boy.

•2001-09-11 10:55:06 Arch [1146801] A ALPHA I am now calculating how much mo

•2001-09-11 10:55:08 Arch [1146801] A ALPHA ney I am going to collect from your life insurance policies because..if you don't call me now!! to tell me you're not dead, I am going to kill you! []

•2001-09-11 11:13:17 Arch [1146801] A ALPHA Please call me I am panicking. I am starting to make your funeral arrangements. 508-548-7302 []

•2001-09-11 11:32:56 Arch [1146801] A ALPHA If I do not hear from you by High Noon, I am going to pick Laura up at school and tell her her Father is dead. 508-5487-7302 []
Old 26th November 2009, 14:01     #16044
Thomas Meatball

Damn, she gave him a High Noon ultimatum! Bitch be serious, yo!
Old 26th November 2009, 14:54     #16045
Savage

Not really worthy of a thread of its own - but does anyone in Auckland area know a builder/chippie/carpenter/plasterer/whatever who can do a good job repairing a hole in a bedroom wall (don't ask)?

I've googled a wall repair, and can tell its something I would get wrong. Its not my house, so want the job done right the first time round.

Details of said hole can be supplied (its only a smallish one) if anyone can suggest someone for the job

TIA!
Old 26th November 2009, 18:40     #16046
MadMax
Stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage
(its only a smallish one)
cut the edges of the hole so its clean

get a flat, rectangular piece of wood that will fit through the hole at an angle but is larger

run plenty of glue around the outside edges of one side without putting any glue in the center where the hole will be

put a nail in the center

feed the board through the hole and hold it till the glue holds or use something flexible to pull the board against the inside of the wall till it sets

fill with filler, sand & paint.

actually google provides better answers, such as http://home.howstuffworks.com/how-to...in-drywall.htm

^ actually that's a pretty mint way of doing it as the lid is so thin you could cut it through the board to get it behind the wall

are you renting? you may need to ask if you can do the repair yourself

Last edited by MadMax : 26th November 2009 at 18:43.
Old 26th November 2009, 19:33     #16047
xor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage
Not really worthy of a thread of its own - but does anyone in Auckland area know a builder/chippie/carpenter/plasterer/whatever who can do a good job repairing a hole in a bedroom wall (don't ask)?

I've googled a wall repair, and can tell its something I would get wrong. Its not my house, so want the job done right the first time round.

Details of said hole can be supplied (its only a smallish one) if anyone can suggest someone for the job

TIA!
Did she not cook for you eh danny?
Old 26th November 2009, 19:59     #16048
Golden Teapot
Love, Actuary

You can also use expanding foam. Then cut it back once dry (a week or so) until it is recessed a bit and then use filler. If it's a large area is might be quickest to use an epoxy-style filler since this will set fast.
Old 26th November 2009, 20:01     #16049
JP

Hahaha. On the intro to motorway patrol the narrator gave this gem

"A Truckie with loose nuts almost loses his load"
Old 26th November 2009, 21:24     #16050
DrTiTus
HENCE WHY FOREVER ALONE

muh

It was such an awesome day today, and my MS Natural Keyboard was lookin' foul, so I took it apart, hosed it down, toothbrushed all the keys, and got my Jif on, and now its just like new Also washed my mousepad/wristrest of literally 10 years of scum. Remarkably gross
Old 26th November 2009, 21:38     #16051
Pepsi
Konnichiwa, bitches

Advice please.. If you were looking at doing some casual IT contracting work, what is the best thing to do in terms of billing?

I have looked at the companies website but not really sure what is appropriate? Can I be a sole trader? It's not like I'm planning to start an actual business... just want to be able to bill people properly..
Old 26th November 2009, 21:55     #16052
MadMax
Stuff

hand written carbon copy book
Old 26th November 2009, 22:18     #16053
chiQ
Frag-muff

Yep. Stationery department/store can help with that.

You need to mark clearly on each invoice whether or not GST is involved. I think if you're not GST registered you have to put your IRD number on in place of a GST number.

GST registered here, so I'm trying to remember advice I was given years ago. It would pay to check about the number.
Old 27th November 2009, 00:32     #16054
Lightspeed

I can't wait until there are video game awards similar to that of the Academy Awards.
Old 27th November 2009, 01:34     #16055
p-b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pepsi
Advice please.. If you were looking at doing some casual IT contracting work, what is the best thing to do in terms of billing?

I have looked at the companies website but not really sure what is appropriate? Can I be a sole trader? It's not like I'm planning to start an actual business... just want to be able to bill people properly..
As well as the pro's and cons listed on that website, I believe the benefits of being a sole trader vs registering a limited company can also be related to tax and how much you will expect to be making (in relation to GST/IRD registration requirements with Inland Revenue).
Old 27th November 2009, 08:38     #16056
Delphinus

How long are you expecting to be doing it and how many invoices per month?

Go have a chat to an accountant, first visit is usually free and they will give you some good advice.
Old 27th November 2009, 08:39     #16057
smudge
Ich Bin Ein Grey Lynner

http://www.stuff.co.nz/environment/3...umbers-slashed

Seeing tuis all round auckland these days. Quite often hearing moreporks at night in the city too...
Old 27th November 2009, 08:52     #16058
orpheus
Jedi Knight

Pearl Jam tonight...bring it!
Old 27th November 2009, 09:15     #16059
Hurtuso

Quote:
Originally Posted by smudge
http://www.stuff.co.nz/environment/3...umbers-slashed

Seeing tuis all round auckland these days. Quite often hearing moreporks at night in the city too...
cool
Old 27th November 2009, 09:29     #16060
Pepsi
Konnichiwa, bitches

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delphinus
How long are you expecting to be doing it and how many invoices per month?

Go have a chat to an accountant, first visit is usually free and they will give you some good advice.
Probably about 6 months.. it's only about 2-3 hours work a week and the frequency of invoices depends on me.

Yeah, I think I need to be sure about everything..don't want to get stung by the tax man if I don't do things properly..
Old 27th November 2009, 09:36     #16061
cEvin
Love In Vein

cyberbob, can you send me an email? hadleyb at gmail
Old 27th November 2009, 10:13     #16062
Hurtuso

Quote:
Probably about 6 months.. it's only about 2-3 hours work a week and the frequency of invoices depends on me.

Yeah, I think I need to be sure about everything..don't want to get stung by the tax man if I don't do things properly..
yeah I believe what chiq said is right. You can get free advice from IRD
Old 27th November 2009, 10:13     #16063
Delphinus

Quote:
If you grow, use something like http://www.xero.com/ Makes your life oh so much easier!
Infact if you're not going to be GST registered (I doubt you need to bother) let me know and I'll hook you up with an account through mine so its cheap
Old 27th November 2009, 10:24     #16064
QWERTY?

Incompetent lawyers undermining legal aid system - review

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/ar...ectid=10612004

unsurprisingly incompetence exists in all facets of society, as for the playing the system, this is what happens when you have groups of highly educated, highly intelligent individuals given a system with no checks, plus the added fact that most of their clients have little or no understanding of what is going on.

A question for cyc, can these lawyers be disbarred(sp?) for such practices?
Old 27th November 2009, 10:26     #16065
Saladin
Nothing to See Here!

If the courts were opened to private competition we wouldn't have this problem!
Old 27th November 2009, 10:45     #16066
Gentl e

Quote:
Originally Posted by QWERTY?
unsurprisingly incompetence exists in all facets of society, as for the playing the system, this is what happens when you have groups of highly educated, highly intelligent individuals given a system with no checks, plus the added fact that most of their clients have little or no understanding of what is going on.
It's a bachelor degree with a bar exam, highly educated imo would be Masters level or more, and gaming the system using those examples given in the article doesn't exactly scream 'sophisticated' -_-

Last edited by Gentl e : 27th November 2009 at 10:46.
Old 27th November 2009, 12:11     #16067
Juju
get to da choppa

Does anyone know of a shop in the 09 that sells that stuff you put on your teeth to black it out so it looks like you're missing teeth? Like this shit?
Old 27th November 2009, 12:37     #16068
Spink

It just occured to me that the bonus sweating I get as a side effect from medication is probably the cause of the heat rash I've experienced past few years. Sucks.

Maybe this would be better posted in grinds but it's a random thought
Old 27th November 2009, 12:38     #16069
StN
I have detailed files

For the record, I am in Christchurch today...

Farting pig triggers gas alarm
By ROBYN GRACE - SMH
The unsettled stomach of a 120-kilogram pig was to blame for a fumy false alarm near the Australian town of Bendigo.

Fifteen firefighters and two tankers rushed to respond to a report of a strong smell of gas after their pagers sent an alert.

The area has been identified as one of the state's most at-risk of bushfires and residents are able to use only bottled gas, thus increasing the risk of a blaze.

But when the crews arrived at the house in Axedale 10 minutes later, the source of the offending smell was clear.

"When we got to the property where (the smell) was, these people had a pig; a big sow which was about 20 metres away from the house," CFA captain Peter Harkins told Radio 3AW.

"I don't know what they were feeding this thing but we certainly heard it."

Mr Harkins said firefighters had "done the right thing" in responding to the call.

"Everyone's a little bit toey with the recent hot weather we've had up here so we responded as we normally do," he said.

"All I can say is we followed through with our call."

Mr Harkins said he had captained the rural brigade for "a number of years" but it was the first time they had been called to a farting pig.

"We did hose it down a little bit. It was a little bit on the nose," he said.

"The householder was a little bit embarrassed. I think he was copping a bit of the blame."

The putrid pig is as yet unnamed but brigade members have included that duty on tonight's meeting agenda.
Old 27th November 2009, 12:48     #16070
Spink

link plz
Old 27th November 2009, 13:11     #16071
StN
I have detailed files

http://news.smh.com.au/breaking-news...1126-juec.html
Pfft - links are not forever - but NZG search is...
Old 27th November 2009, 13:13     #16072
MadMax
Stuff

www.google.com
Old 27th November 2009, 13:18     #16073
Spink

Quote:
Originally Posted by StN
http://news.smh.com.au/breaking-news...1126-juec.html
Pfft - links are not forever - but NZG search is...
but I can't link random thoughts thread to my friends and family! :O
Old 27th November 2009, 13:20     #16074
MadMax
Stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiQ
GST registered here, so I'm trying to remember advice I was given years ago. It would pay to check about the number.
i keep hearing that if you're earning, as self employment, less than some amount ($500p/w?) that you don't need to pay tax on it? i was under the impression that virtually all income needed to be declared and taxed yet i've always asked this question to anyone that would be in the know (accountants, those that are actually doing the above ...) and have confirmed that to be the case.
Old 27th November 2009, 14:04     #16075
Saladin
Nothing to See Here!

http://www.stuff.co.nz/travel/intern...rican-tourists

Good show!
Old 27th November 2009, 14:57     #16076
Spink

Is there a website that has news presented in the style of the daily show so you can save sifting through the crap for the gems when the daily show are off for the week
Old 27th November 2009, 15:06     #16077
Cyberbob

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMax
i keep hearing that if you're earning, as self employment, less than some amount ($500p/w?) that you don't need to pay tax on it? i was under the impression that virtually all income needed to be declared and taxed yet i've always asked this question to anyone that would be in the know (accountants, those that are actually doing the above ...) and have confirmed that to be the case.
Income needs to be taxed if the tax is estimated to be more than $2500 afaik. It doesn't have to be paid in the first year, but if you don't, you'll need to make up for it in your second year.
GST's optional until you're earning $60k+.
Old 27th November 2009, 15:21     #16078
Rocket

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torka
Feeling really bad for laughing at some of the Sept 11 wireless pager messages that Wikileaks released:
funny thing is he never died.

http://www.cnn.com/SPECIALS/2001/mem...me/page17.html

bet hes not liking working there now.
Old 27th November 2009, 18:28     #16079
Pepsi
Konnichiwa, bitches

Thanks for the feedback re:billing question.. and thanks Delphinus for the offer

Will call the IRD on Monday and get the "official" word on what I need to do tax-wise.. sounds like it's not going to be too much of a drama which is good.
Old 27th November 2009, 20:29     #16080
lektronimo

Met the assistant director off District 9 yesterday. He's a cool dude as it happens.