Go Back   NZGames.com Forums > General > Open Discussion
User Name
Password

Old 14th June 2010, 14:17     #3001
StN
I have detailed files

Quote:
Originally Posted by drac0s
huh? how does the speed of your line affect news groups.
I watched bits of "Good Copy, Bad Copy" yesterday, and was amused by one of the Pirate Bay supporters wearing a t-shirt that read "FTP". I couldn't work out if he was advocating a direct form of data access, or had issues with the constabulary.
Old 14th June 2010, 16:07     #3002
cryocore

True Blood is here at all the usual places
Old 14th June 2010, 16:34     #3003
Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by crocos
Torrents? LOL. Newsgroups &/or Rapidshare is where it's at.
Just checked rapidshare out (had never heard of it before). Probably won't be using it, the 200mb limit for non premium customers is too restrictive, and I'm definitely not going to pay. As for newsgroups, I don't think I've ever used one of those. IIRC they can be read using email clients, is that right? How does a newsgroup facilitate file transfers? Please excuse my ignorance...
Old 14th June 2010, 17:33     #3004
chiQ
Frag-muff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nothing
Just checked rapidshare out (had never heard of it before). Probably won't be using it, the 200mb limit for non premium customers is too restrictive, and I'm definitely not going to pay. As for newsgroups, I don't think I've ever used one of those. IIRC they can be read using email clients, is that right? How does a newsgroup facilitate file transfers? Please excuse my ignorance...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Newsgro...ary_newsgroups
Old 14th June 2010, 17:43     #3005
Azmodan

Season finale breaking bad is out hoooooboy
Old 14th June 2010, 21:04     #3006
verve_rat

^ And what a fucking great episode that was. Great ending to a great season.
Old 14th June 2010, 21:07     #3007
fidgit
Always itchy

Quote:
Originally Posted by fidgit
Also I think Persons Unknown has started.
So it's actually been out for a week or so.

It was, I dunno... It's hard to see where they'll actually take the story. At the moment, it's pretty much exactly as advertised - people in a "Ghost Town" being watched by cameras, except other people show up from the "outside" (Chinese restaurateurs, the night manager for the hotel). If they're going to keep filling up the town with people that aren't them but won't help them, and at the same time the woman who wants nothing more than to get free to see her daughter keeps going 'oh nah we should be nice to them rather than force them to tell us what's what', it's going to get tedious real quick.

Other things: so far the characters are pretty boring. Mysterious Guy who wont tell us his past will no doubt get an episode or two of exploring Who He Is, Ditzy Drunk Blonde will probably turn out to be a rocket scientist or some thing. Army Guy better stop calling everyone Sir too, that's already old, and entirely unrealistic (yeah he's in a uniform, doesn't mean he's going to treat every single person as his superior. Well every single guy, I don't recall him cowtowing to any women).

I guess the big issue is that, without any indication of what the show's actually going to be about, it's going to be dropping viewers pretty quick, leading to the 'hiatus-re-tool-cancel' that so many shows run through before they fade off into the setting sun of TV Sci-Fi.
Old 15th June 2010, 12:01     #3008
Azmodan

Quote:
Originally Posted by verve_rat
^ And what a fucking great episode that was. Great ending to a great season.
Agreed, epic stuff! can't wait for next season!

How is Treme going? worth picking up now that everything else is slowing down?
Old 15th June 2010, 12:03     #3009
Fx.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cryocore
True Blood is here at all the usual places
good ep too, was that the first vag shot we've had ?
Old 15th June 2010, 12:09     #3010
Azmodan

^^ also true, good ep! season 3 of Anna Paquin's titties is shaping up nicely
Old 15th June 2010, 12:49     #3011
Fx.

but with what happened i dont know if we'll be seeing those in a while
Old 15th June 2010, 12:59     #3012
drac0s

People download from newsgroups using NZB files. Very similar to torrents in that browse to a site i.e. piratebay etc... search for file you want, click the link and then it'll load into a client and start downloading. No one actually leeches by browsing through news articles, I don't even have a traditional news reader on my computer just the NZB client. Downloading exactly the same effort involved as torrents as in click a link.

The downside is you have pay to get access to a news server with binaries, ~$10 a month. Maybe more if you leech a lot, depending on plans etc...

Upside of news is no uploading, keeping ratios (for cool people), can get encrypted SSL traffic. At the moment ISPs don't seem to really filter against news like they do p2p. no searching for seeds etc... if the file is there you can get it at full speed for retention date of the server (about 1-2 years at most places).

Dunno feel like a mini crusader for news, but the full speed always, no uploading/ratio crap and long retention make it worth the money for me.
Old 15th June 2010, 13:04     #3013
Azmodan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fx.
but with what happened i dont know if we'll be seeing those in a while
Looks like we'll at least be seeing a whole lot of man tittay : /
Old 15th June 2010, 13:27     #3014
Rince
SLUTS!!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azmodan
How is Treme going? worth picking up now that everything else is slowing down?
the wife and I enjoy it - it's paced about the same as The Wire, so you do need to get to know the characters... the music's fantastic from the start, though
Old 15th June 2010, 13:29     #3015
Markh

For newsgroups the easiest is the well named www.easynews.com
Download directly from HTTP - can't be easier.
US$10/Month for 20GB/month
US$15/Month for 40GB/month
The monthly allocation rolls over too, if you download 10GB out of your 20GB for this month then you could download 30GB next month. If you use up your entire allocation in 2 weeks and want more then you can pay another US$10 (or 15) and have another 20GB (or 40).

They also give bonus loyalty GB for each year you have been with them - 1GB more per month on the $10 plan or 2GB per month on the $15 plan for each year you have been with them. i.e. if you have been a member for over 9 years and pay US$15 per month then you would get 40GB + 18GB = 58GB per month. Depending on how many TV programs you d/load 20GB may easily be enough, on the 350MB files that would be around 60 eps per month.
Old 15th June 2010, 13:33     #3016
Azmodan

A mere 9 years! that rules.

I suppose it evens out in terms of cost really, are all releases scene releases?
Old 15th June 2010, 14:29     #3017
Markh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azmodan
A mere 9 years! that rules.

I suppose it evens out in terms of cost really, are all releases scene releases?
Cost: If you maintain a 1:1 ratio with torrents then most internet plans at over $1/GB will work out dearer than if you used newsgroups instead. I never used torrents until the start of this year and then only because I had moved to Telecom Big Time and had no data limit. Easynews is still my favourite source of TV programs and whatever you guys see on the torrents is the same as what is posted in the newsgroups.

With US$15 buying me 58GB per month I can pretty much download whatever I am interested whenever I want, I have also built up a Gig bank of over 400GB which means I could download 100GB per month for several months if I wanted. I can use download managers with the ability to pause & resume downloads. What airs on a Monday night in the US is ready for me to download tonight from around 3-4pm or so - that would make it within a couple of hours of airing that it is available for download.
Old 15th June 2010, 14:33     #3018
Azmodan

Yeah, there's no doubt it's a good option - I didn't realise the allowance rolled over, might look into it one of these days..
Old 15th June 2010, 14:42     #3019
Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markh
Cost: If you maintain a 1:1 ratio with torrents...
Maybe this makes me a c*nt, but, who said anything about maintaining a 1:1 ratio with torrents? Screw that. TBH I'm okay with being a c*nt on that one.
Old 15th June 2010, 14:46     #3020
Spink

Another (more expensive) option is a seedbox (google/wikipedia it!) but it does guarantee fast downloads and good rep on torrent sites. If you can find someone who already has/uses one and find a way to borrow it that's double choice. That's if exclusive torrent sites that require a good ratio have better content than newsgroups idk?
Old 15th June 2010, 16:28     #3021
Markh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nothing
Maybe this makes me a c*nt, but, who said anything about maintaining a 1:1 ratio with torrents? Screw that. TBH I'm okay with being a c*nt on that one.
On 'Go Large' or 'Big Time' or any similar plan then there is no reason not to be generous with the upload (I uploaded about 700GB in 5 months) to have a VERY good ratio - I have about a 20 to 1 ratio with IPTorrents. But with the limited plans or ones that charge per GB (Xnet) then obviously you would not want to be so generous. If even maintaining a 40% ratio is hard to do without blowing the cap on you internet plan then newsgroups is a good option - no upload required, good speeds and cheaper than stepping up to a bigger plan with most ISPs.
Old 15th June 2010, 16:43     #3022
Azmodan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spink
Another (more expensive) option is a seedbox (google/wikipedia it!) but it does guarantee fast downloads and good rep on torrent sites. If you can find someone who already has/uses one and find a way to borrow it that's double choice. That's if exclusive torrent sites that require a good ratio have better content than newsgroups idk?
Yeah I actually looked into this a while ago, the only NZ discussion I could find was on the now defunct (as far as I know..) Elements tracker. I remember there was also some discussion on DTTSK but that was a long time ago.. any ideas? Should also mention what I did find was prohibitively expensive
Old 15th June 2010, 17:39     #3023
Spink

It all looks prohibitively expensive tbh the cheapest ones have like 8gb of storage but cost ~15-20 GBP or Euros per month which is assrape - best bet is to find someone already using one or share one.
Old 15th June 2010, 17:45     #3024
Fx.

few mates go in on a $30/month one iirc

works out well for them
Old 15th June 2010, 20:13     #3025
Fx.

:O:O:O BREAKING BAD :O:O:O
Old 15th June 2010, 20:44     #3026
fidgit
Always itchy

Regarding torrents, if (like me, or Nothing) you're a cunt and don't care about limiting hard, and also can handle waiting till the day after a show comes out, what's the issue? Speeds for anything new are fast enough (200-400k), and for anything older, there's usually still enough people seeding if it was a decent enough show that you'll get it eventually (and if you're waited a year, what's another few days?).

I've not seen anyone mention privacy as the main concern, and for sure public torrents can get watched by pirate trackers, but even the most secure private trackers can be too. (I don't remember enough about newsgroups, but I'm sure that'll be 'watchable' too).

Just not seeing why you're all so keen on spending extra money...
Old 15th June 2010, 20:50     #3027
StN
I have detailed files

Quote:
... for sure public torrents can get watched by pirate trackers, but even the most secure private trackers can be too.
Probably easier to pick off the fish in a smaller pond too.
Old 15th June 2010, 21:58     #3028
dylan
Huh?

Quote:
Regarding torrents, if (like me, or Nothing) you're a cunt and don't care about limiting hard, and also can handle waiting till the day after a show comes out, what's the issue? Speeds for anything new are fast enough (200-400k), and for anything older, there's usually still enough people seeding if it was a decent enough show that you'll get it eventually (and if you're waited a year, what's another few days?).

I've not seen anyone mention privacy as the main concern, and for sure public torrents can get watched by pirate trackers, but even the most secure private trackers can be too. (I don't remember enough about newsgroups, but I'm sure that'll be 'watchable' too).

Just not seeing why you're all so keen on spending extra money...
i'm totally with fidgit on this one. i already pay for my internet connection - a fucking ridiculous amount, by global standards - i really don't have any inclination to pay more ON TOP OF THAT for the benefit of, what, getting things a tiny bit earlier?

I don't have any problems with speed, am on 10 mbit telstra cable and torrent at ~1meg / sec on popular torrents, which tbh is usually too fast fo rme anyway, i'm usually like oh crap that shit downloaded so quick, i'm not finished what i was doing when i chose it :P
Old 15th June 2010, 22:50     #3029
Markh

Quote:
Newsgroups are definitely MUCH harder for the pirate trackers to 'watch', if fact they can't watch them in the way that they can watch the torrents. The only way to track what you download from newsgroups would be to serve a court order on the usenet provider, but they would need some evidence first to get a court order, but it is hard for them to get evidence without the court order. Do you see the problem here? The people in the USA that got done for pirating music were caught downloading from public torrents - they are the 'easy target'.

Of course private torrents are a lot safer than public torrents and if the 'easy targets' are targeted first then most of us will be pretty safe on private torrent sites, at least for now.
Old 15th June 2010, 22:51     #3030
Markh

Back on topic, tonight's Lie To Me was another interesting episode - always an enjoyable watch.
Old 15th June 2010, 23:02     #3031
herp

Breaking Bad was sick. I love how he's morphed into Heisenberg over the season, especially ending with the hat. He's got balls old Walt!
Old 16th June 2010, 00:14     #3032
Nothing

In some ways I think it would be better if everyone simply pirated as brazenly and openly as possible. Hiding it is almost like an admission that you're doing something wrong, which is what the RIAA and other anti-piracy groups want you to think. In case you hadn't already guessed, I really don't buy the line that piracy is wrong in any way at all.

Edit: Disclaimer: I refer solely to digital piracy of course, and in no way does this mean that when I find something worth my money I don't pay up. I would not support the high-jacking of mercantile vessels by pirates on the high seas. Yarrr Matey!

Last edited by Nothing : 16th June 2010 at 00:15.
Old 17th June 2010, 00:16     #3033
dylan
Huh?

Quote:
So it's actually been out for a week or so.

It was, I dunno... It's hard to see where they'll actually take the story. At the moment, it's pretty much exactly as advertised - people in a "Ghost Town" being watched by cameras, except other people show up from the "outside" (Chinese restaurateurs, the night manager for the hotel). If they're going to keep filling up the town with people that aren't them but won't help them, and at the same time the woman who wants nothing more than to get free to see her daughter keeps going 'oh nah we should be nice to them rather than force them to tell us what's what', it's going to get tedious real quick.

Other things: so far the characters are pretty boring. Mysterious Guy who wont tell us his past will no doubt get an episode or two of exploring Who He Is, Ditzy Drunk Blonde will probably turn out to be a rocket scientist or some thing. Army Guy better stop calling everyone Sir too, that's already old, and entirely unrealistic (yeah he's in a uniform, doesn't mean he's going to treat every single person as his superior. Well every single guy, I don't recall him cowtowing to any women).

I guess the big issue is that, without any indication of what the show's actually going to be about, it's going to be dropping viewers pretty quick, leading to the 'hiatus-re-tool-cancel' that so many shows run through before they fade off into the setting sun of TV Sci-Fi.
watched the first two eps (and thus, 2 eps worth of spoilers hereafter, be warned), and pretty much agree with you here. they need some decent development in the next few episodes to reel people in.

the hint of ... the supernatural (?) when they tried to escape with the van was odd.

i'm guessing the next few will be about fleshing the characters out more while slowly drip feeding clues (or red herrings) about what they're all doing there. they've obviously started laying the foundations for each of the captives to have at least a little bit of an interesting background (" i can hotwire a car", the scene with the blonde chick at her dad's party, "i'm a psychiatrist...oops i mean mental patient" and of course jack...i mean joe and what he is all about) so I am expecting a Lost-style show at this point where things plod along quite slowly and interspersed with revealing more about the key characters.

Who knows, perhaps this will be the Next Big Thing for Xpandingpants?
Old 17th June 2010, 09:22     #3034
Fx.

Quote:
Originally Posted by herp
Breaking Bad was sick. I love how he's morphed into Heisenberg over the season, especially ending with the hat. He's got balls old Walt!
hadn't really considered that but yeah thats def what happening!
Old 17th June 2010, 16:50     #3035
Caesar

Heads up

Season 7 of Top Chef airs tonight in the US...
Cool.
Old 17th June 2010, 17:00     #3036
Bandalador

Yeah, had Hell's Kitchen to get from yesterday now TC new season.. Nice.
Old 17th June 2010, 17:18     #3037
Warrick
Awesome Ring Master

there's some fruity cunts on hell's kitchen. makes me lol how psycho that ugly white chick with the shoulder length hair is.. she's Gordon's #1 fan.
Old 17th June 2010, 17:50     #3038
Bandalador

Scary bitch that one. Last season had some awesome personalities, don't know if this new bunch can top them.
Old 18th June 2010, 13:26     #3039
drac0s

Assume the Top Chef watchers also watch TC Masters? depending on how you find your shows, maybe doesn't show up on the radar for some.
Old 19th June 2010, 10:58     #3040
Bandalador

Deadliest catch S06E10, what the fuck Jake? Way to help put your dad in his grave.