NZGames.com Forums
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Go Back   NZGames.com Forums > General > Open Discussion
User Name
Password

Old 15th December 2016, 15:01     #6601
_Incubus_

Binge watching Stranger Things, Netflix show...I'm really enjoying it, Winona is really really good in this...
Old 21st December 2016, 07:29     #6602
StN
I have detailed files

Stumbled across Dirk Gently on Netflix last night. Higher production values than the British pilot of a few years back (wait - they made 3 more??).

He mentioned the sofa and Thor, so that places this after the two books, although so far I think there may be bits seeping through, and I can't remember the details from "The Salmon of Doubt" (I lent it to a mate that then died and I didn't want to bother his widow with the trivialities of snaffling a dog-eared paperback, no matter how tricky to get hold of) but I think there is the odd device from the last Adams HH volume (He was tossing up between the story being about Dent or Gently apparantly).

Anyway, 3 episodes in and it looks Ok. Title character is a bit manic, in a what-US-expect-the-Britsh-to-be kind of way - almost Whovian, which makes a nice link back to Adams. And based in Seattle rather than Cambridge(Oxford?) at this point in time - ahh time. Yes, there is clearly a machine in play, so perhaps he will reference the professor at some stage.

Also, I wonder if the Rowdy 3 are related to the four horsemen - although Death is clearly elsewhere.

Last edited by StN : 21st December 2016 at 07:31.
Old 29th December 2016, 23:24     #6603
Lightspeed

Anyone ever watch the original The Twilight Zone series? It holds up pretty well all things considered. It's basically Black Mirror for the 60s.
Old 31st December 2016, 16:21     #6604
Caesar

Anyone seen the TV show "Shooter", based off the Mark Warlburg movie by the same name?
Its hitting around 7.8 on IMDB but seems to have mixed opinions as to
how good it is.
Old 31st December 2016, 16:28     #6605
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightspeed
Anyone ever watch the original The Twilight Zone series? It holds up pretty well all things considered. It's basically Black Mirror for the 60s.
Yep. Check out some of the script credits, they're a who's who of bitchin 60s SF.
Old 31st December 2016, 19:34     #6606
reac
Min Sicker Reac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caesar
Anyone seen the TV show "Shooter", based off the Mark Warlburg movie by the same name?
Its hitting around 7.8 on IMDB but seems to have mixed opinions as to
how good it is.
Watched the first episode. Dire.
Old 2nd January 2017, 09:44     #6607
Markh

Anyone checked out 'Beyond'?
10 episodes just appeared at my normal download sources so I checked out the trailer and then set them all downloading, 9 down and 1 to go.
Old 2nd January 2017, 23:33     #6608
kRAdENkO

Watching Beyond now.. Up to ep 2. Could go either way.. Not amazing yet.
Old 4th January 2017, 01:22     #6609
Nothing

Some things about Beyond seem cool. I like the kind of aliens/alternative reality kind of mystery vibe it's got going on, (up to ep 4 atm) and the conspiracy aspect of it has potential too. I wish it would spend more time advancing the plot with respect to those things and less time on the corny high-school level romance garbage.
Old 16th January 2017, 16:12     #6610
blynk

just "binge" watched Westworld. Really enjoyed it, but I think watching it quickly made me keep going back to how the park worked (the killing, how long was each adventure etc), and that partly made me think that there was 2 timelines going on.
There's no way they could restart with out all the characters back at the start, otherwise it could start to look less real when some you saw die is back.

I didn't really like the 2 guys that helped unlock Maeve, to me that got a bit ridiculous that they got that far into it.

I guess season 2 could be something about regaining control of the park, or the hosts trying to get out to the real world with out dying.
Old 16th January 2017, 17:29     #6611
Cyberbob

Westworld made an amazing season of episodes, but I've no idea how the heck they'd pull off a season 2. Maybe it'd be better as a standalone season 1.

I see Grimm's onto its 6th season. I only ever saw the first season. Anyone stick with it? Worth catching up?
Old 16th January 2017, 19:15     #6612
Caesar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyberbob
I see Grimm's onto its 6th season. I only ever saw the first season. Anyone stick with it? Worth catching up?
I've stuck with Grimm all the way so far, took me 5 episodes to get into initially but its actually turned out to be a good show.
Sleepy Hollow is up to season 4 as well and that's along the same lines as Grimm.
Old 16th January 2017, 20:17     #6613
Cinclant

I just watched 'The Night Manager' which is a 6-part, 60 min episode from BBC.
Hugh Laurie and Tom Hiddleston. Thriller/drama about weapons smuggling.

It's excellent.
Old 17th January 2017, 16:51     #6614
crocos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caesar
I've stuck with Grimm all the way so far, took me 5 episodes to get into initially but its actually turned out to be a good show.
Sleepy Hollow is up to season 4 as well and that's along the same lines as Grimm.
I don't understand why people do that - put up with a sub-par show they're not really enjoying in the hopes it'll come right.

وكل يوم كنت تعيش في العبودية
Old 17th January 2017, 20:30     #6615
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Quote:
Originally Posted by crocos
I don't understand why people do that - put up with a sub-par show they're not really enjoying in the hopes it'll come right.
Old 18th January 2017, 03:57     #6616
Nothing

Quote:
Because, honestly, the first episode of Breaking Bad didn't grab me.
Old 18th January 2017, 04:10     #6617
Caesar

Quote:
Because sometimes shows do get better as the case is with this, for me at least.
Old 18th January 2017, 09:55     #6618
crocos

3 or so eps I can understand, but not multiple seasons.

Old 18th January 2017, 13:59     #6619
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nothing
Because, honestly, the first episode of Breaking Bad didn't grab me.
I watched about 6 eps of BB and it still didn't grab me.
Old 18th January 2017, 17:27     #6620
Nothing

Did you stop after 6?
Old 22nd January 2017, 23:51     #6621
Lightspeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by StN
Stumbled across Dirk Gently on Netflix last night.
This is fantastic, both the writing and production. Very mystical, fascinating mix of light and dark. I should read the series.

There's a lot to be appreciated about Elijah Wood's career I'm coming to see.

Last edited by Lightspeed : 22nd January 2017 at 23:52.
Old 23rd January 2017, 21:25     #6622
ZoSo

Tom Hardy on the First Season of ‘Taboo’ & Creating James Delaney:
http://collider.com/tom-hardy-taboo-..._medium=social

Tis good. (grab the uk version)
Old 23rd January 2017, 21:53     #6623
Macca@Work

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ab
I watched about 6 eps of BB and it still didn't grab me.
Well it grabbed me.I loved it.Original premise,evolution of a bad guy into a total self centered ass hole,drama,tension,enough evil villains to satisfy Batman-what more could you ask? ^shrug^
Old 23rd January 2017, 22:06     #6624
CCS
Stunt Pants

Breaking Bad was the best television show in a long time. If Abner doesn't have the attention span for it, then it's his loss.
Old 24th January 2017, 07:06     #6625
creamcheese

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZoSo
Tom Hardy on the First Season of ‘Taboo’ & Creating James Delaney:
http://collider.com/tom-hardy-taboo-..._medium=social

Tis good. (grab the uk version)
Yeah, I'm really liking it, but I guess if I'm watching it on FX it's the US version, what am I missing from the BBC one?
Old 24th January 2017, 10:45     #6626
ZoSo

Quote:
Originally Posted by creamcheese
Yeah, I'm really liking it, but I guess if I'm watching it on FX it's the US version, what am I missing from the BBC one?
I just repeated the recommendation but to answer your question, after looking around a little, doesn't seem like anything atm. I think people were mostly worried about language censorship. But if you're hearing "fuck" on FX, you're probably good.
Old 28th January 2017, 10:06     #6627
crocos

Hah! Perfect!
http://www.smbc-comics.com/comic/theory-of-awful-tv

Old 4th February 2017, 11:55     #6628
Lightspeed

The Expanse season 2 is out. And it is the tits. Heart pounding space combat FTW.
Old 5th February 2017, 19:31     #6629
Nothing

Fuck yes! I've been hanging out for this!
Old 9th February 2017, 09:02     #6630
orpheus
Jedi Knight

any 24 fans out there checked out the new 24: Legacy ?

If so, thoughts?
Old 9th February 2017, 09:48     #6631
sidbo
Raptus regaliter

No Jack, then it's not 24.

Well, that's the chick's opinion I've not had a chance to watch the full episode yet.
Old 9th February 2017, 18:21     #6632
Caesar

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidbo
SEEMs ok initially but yeah, the above statement fits for me.
I'll keep watching tho. Its in the same timeline as when Jack was there as it
already a reference to an former CTU employer Edger Styles who was in 24 around season 6 or 7.
Old 9th February 2017, 19:01     #6633
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCS
Breaking Bad was the best television show in a long time. If Abner doesn't have the attention span for it, then it's his loss.
It just didn't grab me. I think I watched about 6 eps of S1 and just CBF continuing.
Old 9th February 2017, 19:26     #6634
CCS
Stunt Pants

I think you just have poor taste. This is obvious from the fact that you're massively in love with Apple.
Old 9th February 2017, 19:48     #6635
orpheus
Jedi Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidbo

Well, that's the chick's opinion I've not had a chance to watch the full episode yet.
yeah i have my reservations too, but i did see an original cast member in the trailer.
Old 9th February 2017, 20:25     #6636
Caesar

I binge watched all 8 seasons of 24 again 2 Christmas's ago.
Enjoyed it too.
Old 13th February 2017, 01:27     #6637
crocos

Legion - another Marvel franchise. First ep is quirky and interesting. Keen to see where it goes.

Old 13th February 2017, 01:42     #6638
Lightspeed

Quote:
The Expanse season 2 is out. And it is the tits. Heart pounding space combat FTW.
Are you guys watching this? The dialects are so cool. And the sets... holy shit. And don't get me started on direction. The shots of the discussion around a hologram of a ship that's been shot up, with trajectory paths all in there...

The whole thing is as good as Battlestar Galatica. But shinier.

The only downside is the rips from IPT all seem to have the same censoring of swearing. It's mildly annoying given it's only people from Earth who use recognisable swearwords, it mars the effect.

Last edited by Lightspeed : 13th February 2017 at 01:43.
Old 13th February 2017, 07:19     #6639
StN
I have detailed files

I'm still trying to get over Frankie popping up.
Old 13th February 2017, 08:22     #6640
pxpx

Quote:
Are you guys watching this?
Planning to, really enjoyed the books.