Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Go Back   NZGames.com Forums > General > Open Discussion > Politics
User Name
Password

Old 29th March 2011, 22:46     #121
fixed_truth

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyc
Of course Labour has done some good things for the poor -- apart from the US Republicans, very few mainstream parties in the western world are resolutely hellbent on screwing up the lives of the poor. But it's just delusional to think that Labour has done a lot of great things for its constituents in the 9 years of very favourable conditions which it had. More importantly, in spite of how bad National might/has been, it doesn't justify any of the many, many horrible decisions that Labour have made, for which the country continues to pay.
We'll have to disagree about the degree of good Labour did for their constituents. Also I'm not saying Labour didn't make a lot of mistakes, all Govts do. And I'm not using Nationals current economic policy failure to justify things that Labour fucked up on, rather that outcomes show Labour to be the lesser of two evils regarding the wellbeing of average NZers. I wouldn't mind it if National proves me wrong though I'm hesitant to believe they will as we've seen before the results of cutting public services whilst reducing top tax rates. I guess we'll have to wait and see.
Old 29th March 2011, 22:51     #122
cyc
Objection!

Well, at least I manage to make things better for people occasionally, Chubz. What's your "vote" at the mental asylum for the New Zealand Communists done for anybody? Have you finished reading your Karl Marx collection yet?

Old 29th March 2011, 23:03     #123
cyc
Objection!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fixed_truth
I wouldn't mind it if National proves me wrong though I'm hesitant to believe they will as we've seen before the results of cutting public services whilst reducing top tax rates. I guess we'll have to wait and see.
I am not sure you 100% appreciate how useless a progressive tax regime is in lieu of adequate safeguards against cheating. In NZ's case, there were basically shit fuck all safeguards. Again, I agree with your sentiments re: the tax cut and on the progressive tax regime. I don't think that tax system is necessarily best for economic growth but the benefits of lesser social inequality and redistribution of resources towards the needs of the very poor (in a proper, working progressive tax system) are worth the trade off IMO. But, seriously, very few people were paying the highest rate of tax and, more importantly, there was simply an incredible amount of money spent by people to avoid tax. You'll honestly just have to take my word and those who've benefited massively from Labour's mistakes (and National's wilful unwillingness to close these loopsholes) on this.

I'll close this debate with a couple of laughable (or amazing) anecdotes to drive the point home. Guess who allowed lawyers to practice within law firms which are incorporated as companies instead of the usual full-liability personal partnerships? Labour. Guess what happened after many lawyers incorporated their law firms? Suddenly a lot of them didn't earn that much salary.....

Guess how often 3 to 4 year PQE tax lawyers earn more money than people with 8 to 10 years of experience in very lucrative fields like IP/IT law or corporate law? VERY often. Guess what the tax lawyers do daily.
Old 29th March 2011, 23:09     #124
chubby

YUO=LAME

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyc
Well, at least I manage to make things better for people occasionally, Chubz. What's your "vote" at the mental asylum for the New Zealand Communists done for anybody? Have you finished reading your Karl Marx collection yet?

sleep well then.
Old 29th March 2011, 23:40     #125
adonis

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyc
2. Because I actually want to see some economic growth and generally improving economic outcomes.
I lol'ed*.

DISCLAIMER* I didn't actually lol, I did roll my eyes and shake my head a little though.
Old 30th March 2011, 00:21     #126
cyc
Objection!

Well, I guess we can count on Phil Goff reducing GST/GST exempting fruit and veges to get us out of the hole we are in, eh, Adonis?

At some point, people need to stop talking about the Labour or National of the 1980s or 90s as though they define the present.
Old 30th March 2011, 08:39     #127
xor

The Darren Hughes incident is quite the lol. I wonder what made the 18 year old run down the road naked trying to hitch a ride. Props to him though, he can say he's one level closer to Tucker Max.

http://www.tuckermax.com/stories/tuc...oes-not-ensue/
Old 30th March 2011, 08:53     #128
Pimp-X
Drunken Annoying
Superhero Bastard

All he wanted to do was share coffee and gingernuts with the kid.
Old 30th March 2011, 09:00     #129
StN
I have detailed files

Was there a long black involved...
Old 30th March 2011, 10:09     #130
StN
I have detailed files

Cunning

Last edited by StN : 30th March 2011 at 10:11.
Old 30th March 2011, 12:17     #131
tilde

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyc
I'll close this debate with a couple of laughable (or amazing) anecdotes to drive the point home. Guess who allowed lawyers to practice within law firms which are incorporated as companies instead of the usual full-liability personal partnerships? Labour. Guess what happened after many lawyers incorporated their law firms? Suddenly a lot of them didn't earn that much salary.....

Guess how often 3 to 4 year PQE tax lawyers earn more money than people with 8 to 10 years of experience in very lucrative fields like IP/IT law or corporate law? VERY often. Guess what the tax lawyers do daily.
won't lawyers then fall under the IRD law of tax evasion then, by paying themselves less than market rates? as discussed in the contractor thread a while ago?

do lawyers get charged by other lawyers, or is there a unstated rule of not going after your own livelihood?
Old 30th March 2011, 12:58     #132
cyc
Objection!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tilde
won't lawyers then fall under the IRD law of tax evasion then, by paying themselves less than market rates? as discussed in the contractor thread a while ago?

do lawyers get charged by other lawyers, or is there a unstated rule of not going after your own livelihood?
There's so much tax evasion going on the IRD simply hasn't got the resources to prosecute everyone.
Old 30th March 2011, 13:08     #133
Saladin
Nothing to See Here!

You say evasion, I say avoison.
Old 30th March 2011, 13:40     #134
CCS
Stunt Pants

Wacked

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyc
Well, I guess we can count on Phil Goff reducing GST/GST exempting fruit and veges to get us out of the hole we are in, eh, Adonis?
Don't forget, tax free first $5000! That won't cost the country too much...
Old 30th March 2011, 13:58     #135
cyc
Objection!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCS
Don't forget, tax free first $5000! That won't cost the country too much...
Well, for general economic/social outcomes that probably is better than the National tax cuts, if we can afford it. But it still goes back to the underlying issue with Labour: it's not focused on growing the economy. JUST HAVE THE GOVMINT HAND OUT MORE MONEY AFTER WE'VE FUCKED EVERYONE ALL OVER.

Again, for what this is worth, National is out of ideas as well but a party with a massive lead in the polls can afford to be, at least for a while.
Old 30th March 2011, 14:33     #136
crocos

<NinjaEdit: never mind - was on the prev page, thought it was the last page>

وكل يوم كنت تعيش في العبودية
Old 30th March 2011, 14:37     #137
doppelgänger of someone

I reckon hes isn't a coffee drinker. He likes his teabag.
Old 30th March 2011, 14:38     #138
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyc
Again, for what this is worth, National is out of ideas as well but a party without an Opposition can afford to be.
Fixed that for you.
Old 30th March 2011, 15:27     #139
Vrtigo
Marginal Poster

lol cock and balls, innuendo lolz
Old 30th March 2011, 16:54     #140
CCS
Stunt Pants

facepalm

Y'know, it defies belief that Goff just keeps giving interviews about how his handling of the whole thing. Not only can he not stop making gaffes every time he opens his mouth, he is keeping Hughes in the media spotlight and he's he's keeing his incompetence in the spotlight. I keep thinking "What would Helen have done?" Certainly she wouldn't keep talking about it. She would have (I assume) known about it all in the first instance because Hughes and King would've been too scared not to tell her promptly. A press release would be issued saying Hughes is on leave and she'd say nothing further. Any questions over Hughes potentially resigning would be flat out rebuffed, pure and simple.

But Goff? Can't stop talking! Gotta keep defending himself!
Old 30th March 2011, 17:02     #141
cyc
Objection!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCS
But Goff? Can't stop talking! Gotta keep defending himself!
GOFF IS AWESOME, MUTHERFUCKER! The guy is clearly deluded.
Old 30th March 2011, 19:07     #142
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

barn door, horse

http://www.seek.co.nz/Job/19359222
Old 30th March 2011, 19:19     #143
CCS
Stunt Pants

Lol, does that mean Fran Mold has been given the boot? Or... whoever the fuck does/did that job...
Old 30th March 2011, 19:31     #144
cyc
Objection!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chubby
wow.
can somebody kill this dick.
please.
he criticizes labour, while voting for the people who do(or dont do rather) exactly what he's bitching about.

pseudo intellectual indeed.

you suck cyc.
Hey Chubz, so you want me killed or that you think it's funny to joke about having me killed because I disagree with you politically. Are you kindred spirits with Mao and Uncle Joe? Do you realise what an awful person you are?
Old 30th March 2011, 19:45     #145
CCS
Stunt Pants

I wonder if this thread is going on the OHP in his bedroom so his soft toy collection can laugh along with him.
Old 30th March 2011, 19:47     #146
cyc
Objection!

Be careful, Chubby might make a voodoo doll of you and CURSE you!

Old 30th March 2011, 20:06     #147
chubby

muh

well shucks....
y'all sure got me there.
Old 30th March 2011, 21:47     #148
madmaxii

Great rejoinder Chubs
Old 2nd April 2011, 19:38     #149
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Summary from the Herald: "Labour's fucked and has given up on the next election. This is some crazy shit."

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/opinion/ne...ectid=10716514
Old 3rd April 2011, 08:44     #150
StN
I have detailed files

A salvo of covering fire just in case Parker was looking like a potential problem...

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/ar...ectid=10716817

Don't rub another mans's rhubarb - especially if he has had a stroke and is a Kiwi icon!
Old 3rd April 2011, 13:38     #151
fidgit
Always itchy

http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/poli...-to-Parliament

Woo hoo!
Old 3rd April 2011, 13:59     #152
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Quote:
Originally Posted by StN
A salvo of covering fire just in case Parker was looking like a potential problem...

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/ar...ectid=10716817

Don't rub another mans's rhubarb - especially if he has had a stroke and is a Kiwi icon!
Christ. I wonder who leaked that.
Old 3rd April 2011, 14:14     #153
CCS
Stunt Pants

Clearly it was leaked from the PMs office.
Old 3rd April 2011, 14:16     #154
Lightspeed

That that is something considered leak-worthy is one reason why I'd never touch politics. (Another reason being all the smack I've posted on NZG coming out.)
Old 3rd April 2011, 15:17     #155
CCS
Stunt Pants

One lesbo out, another lesbo in!
Old 4th April 2011, 15:20     #156
spigalau

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCS
Clearly it was leaked from the PMs office.
More likely from Goof's, as it could potentially nobble one of the guys that could fill his seat.
Old 4th April 2011, 15:22     #157
CCS
Stunt Pants

facepalm

When I said that I was making a joke, playing on the fact that Labour always blames everything as being a leak from the PMs office.
Old 5th April 2011, 08:44     #158
MrTTTT

Goff is a giant knob but I deplore the excessive use of facepalm in this thread.
Old 5th April 2011, 08:49     #159
Golden Teapot
Love, Actuary

I like goff as I've shared several times before.

What impresses me the most is that he's happy to stand there and share exactly what labour stands for and to not be swayed by anyone suggesting he should tone it down or pretend there is some other agenda.
Old 5th April 2011, 09:16     #160
crocos

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrTTTT
Goff is a giant knob but I deplore the excessive use of facepalm in this thread.
But there simply is so much facepalm-worthy material here.

وكل يوم كنت تعيش في العبودية