NZGames.com Forums
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Go Back   NZGames.com Forums > General > Open Discussion > Politics
User Name
Password

Old 1st August 2020, 21:06     #5682
Lightspeed

Saying National are good managers of the economy is just another way of saying "I always vote blue".
Old 3rd August 2020, 14:09     #5683
Nothing

I could elaborate on that, but it wouldn't be polite.
Old 3rd August 2020, 17:11     #5684
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Ironically the thing that fixed the Muldoon-era economic clusterfuck was Rogernomics. Are we allowed to feel good about that again?
Old 3rd August 2020, 19:37     #5685
crocos

I think the point was neither party is particularly more gifted than the others, economically, so why the enduring myth favouring National?

وكل يوم كنت تعيش في العبودية
Old 4th August 2020, 00:25     #5686
Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ab
Ironically the thing that fixed the Muldoon-era economic clusterfuck was Rogernomics. Are we allowed to feel good about that again?
No, I don't think that Rogernomics really 'fixed' anything, to be honest.
Old 4th August 2020, 05:49     #5687
StN
I have detailed files

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nothing
Hmm - I think the introduction of a universal consumption tax that also applied to those that may have been avoiding income tax through technical means because they could was a bit of a step forward.
Old 4th August 2020, 07:38     #5688
fixed_truth

Quote:
Amongst Labour supporters, 96 per cent agreed medical professionals have done a good job. But for National supporters, the figure was 69 per cent.

Almost 98 per cent of Labour supporters said the response was successful, but for National supporters it was only 40 per cent.
https://i.stuff.co.nz/national/polit...ng-party-lines
To be fair I guess a chunk of those Labour voters were former National voters who saw the light, leaving the dregs.
Old 4th August 2020, 08:26     #5689
Cyberbob

I wonder how many of those "National supporters" have any clue what National stands for this election.

I'm fascinated by the notion that tribal supporters actually have very little idea of the actual policies their party stands for, and it's more about their emotional perception of the party leader that matters most.
Old 4th August 2020, 11:12     #5690
blynk

And the same happened under Key as well. So its nothing new.
Ideal, no.
Old 4th August 2020, 11:17     #5691
pxpx

No way am I voting for National this election.
Old 4th August 2020, 11:46     #5692
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nothing
Yes I miss the good old days of the country's telecommunications infrastructure being administered by the Post Office
Old 4th August 2020, 11:49     #5693
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyberbob
I'm fascinated by the notion that tribal supporters actually have very little idea of the actual policies their party stands for, and it's more about their emotional perception of the party leader that matters most.
how dare you criticise Saint Jacinda! your words constitute violence and I demand that the owner of nzgamesdotcom be cancelled for operating an unsafe Internet page
Old 4th August 2020, 12:18     #5694
Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ab
Yes I miss the good old days of the country's telecommunications infrastructure being administered by the Post Office
Indeed, because the only thing that could ever possibly drive technological progress is the free market. All bow before the invisible hand.
Old 4th August 2020, 14:52     #5695
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

I'm not talking about technological process, I'm talking about the lived experience that when young me broke the single rotary-dial landline phone in our home, my Dad had to apply to the Post Office for a replacement (it wasn't our phone, or the house's phone, it was the Post Office's phone) and we were without one for the (days?weeks? I forget) until a replacement could be assigned to us. Because there were literally no other phones or providers of phones in the country. That's the sort of Stalinist planned-economy bullshit that NZ was before Rogernomics.

Oh yeah, carless days, who remembers that shit. Kids these days.
Old 4th August 2020, 15:05     #5696
Lightspeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ab
how dare you criticise Saint Jacinda!
That's not tribalism, it's much closer to what you suggest, which is why Ardern's face can be found posted and painted across the world right now.

I don't vote for Greens because of their policies. I vote for their values and behaviour.

Last edited by Lightspeed : 4th August 2020 at 15:07.
Old 4th August 2020, 15:15     #5697
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

https://youarenotsosmart.com/2019/03...y-rebroadcast/
Old 4th August 2020, 17:00     #5698
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Quote:
Originally Posted by fixed_truth
Quote:
https://i.stuff.co.nz/national/polit...ng-party-lines
Among Labour supporters, 96 per cent agreed medical professionals have done a good job. But for National supporters, the figure was 69 per cent.

To be fair I guess a chunk of those Labour voters were former National voters who saw the light, leaving the dregs.
Galaxy brain: I'm not a medical professional so I have no fucking idea if they've done a good job or not. All I can see are the actions of the government and the public service. Medical professionals don't impose lockdowns or open quarantine facilities or tighten borders.

who the fuck writes these polls and clickbait articles, kill all humans
Old 4th August 2020, 20:19     #5699
fixed_truth

Health professionals are responsible for identifying and investigating any COVID-19 cases including
testing for and tracing all potential cases. They also are responsible for applying appropriate contact tracing and infection control measures to prevent its spread including isolating cases and their close contacts.
Old 5th August 2020, 01:02     #5700
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Quote:
Originally Posted by fixed_truth
Health professionals are responsible for identifying and investigating any COVID-19 cases including
testing for and tracing all potential cases. They also are responsible for applying appropriate contact tracing and infection control measures to prevent its spread including isolating cases and their close contacts.
By the broad definition every person who works for the Ministry of Health or a DHB is a "health professional". As Minister David Clark was a "health professional" and he was fucking useless.
Old 6th August 2020, 14:41     #5701
Lightspeed

Do the Greens have National worried, or are they just picking a target more to their size?

https://imgur.com/a/xZPJZ4R
Old 6th August 2020, 18:28     #5702
blynk

Probably thinking if they can get them to just below 5%, then that's all wasted votes for the left.
Then that means their 35% share will jump up a little
Old 11th August 2020, 19:56     #5703
Lightspeed

Woodhouse's isolation homeless mystery man claim debunked

Or: National are cynical cunts. Always have been.

Too bad the loud right wing crowd around here are long silent. I'd love to stick it to those cowards.

cyc will only pop in if he thinks I'm getting beat up, GT is probably off fucking Asian slaves somewhere.
Old 11th August 2020, 20:29     #5704
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

I didn't get all the "Merv" National jokes online today until 30 secs ago.
Old 11th August 2020, 21:10     #5705
Lightspeed

It's so par for the course now for National it's barely worth mentioning.

National is a party of tricks and cons, exposed for all to see without the charismatic shills around to keep up the facade of "good managers of the economy", their most cunning trick of all.
Old 11th August 2020, 21:13     #5706
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

What you mean “now”, Hone Carter?
Old 13th August 2020, 20:07     #5707
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Holy what the fucking fuck, National can fuck right off.

Quote:
“I’m just outlining facts.”

“The media should ask their own questions.”
No, Collins and Brownlee, you should LICK MY BALLS.
Old 13th August 2020, 23:18     #5708
Lightspeed

Brownlee both sounds and looks like an angry internet troll.

https://youtu.be/N2L9s_V4bWg

It's just so fucking blatant. Who does he think he is? I shudder to think what he got away with when in power.
Old 14th August 2020, 09:57     #5709
Know me.

I can imagine the deputy prime minister standing there and saying the exact same things if the roles were reversed.
Old 14th August 2020, 21:54     #5710
The Edge

facepalm

https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/pol...iracy-theories
Old 15th August 2020, 17:23     #5711
The Edge

Also: https://thespinoff.co.nz/politics/14...iracy-baiting/
Quote:
On Wednesday – the first day of the second coronavirus lockdown – Collins demanded a postponement of the election, raising concerns about the legitimacy of any electoral outcome using postal ballots
I'm sure I've also heard that from someone else...

Last edited by The Edge : 15th August 2020 at 17:27.
Old 15th August 2020, 19:46     #5712
pxpx

Electoral integrity aside, the lock down does give Jacinda a daily slot on the telly, and restricted gathering makes campaigning difficult (in AKL at least, and its for everyone).

But its 2 weeks, so meh. We'll be ok.
Old 15th August 2020, 21:26     #5713
blynk

She may come out on Monday and say the election stays, but the daily updates will be done by Bloomfield & Hipkins
Old 16th August 2020, 13:37     #5714
crocos

Quote:
Originally Posted by blynk
She may come out on Monday and say the election stays, but the daily updates will be done by Bloomfield & Hipkins
Hipkins isn't half the communicator the PM is. It would be a mistake.

Old 17th August 2020, 17:10     #5715
blynk

Quote:
Originally Posted by crocos
Hipkins isn't half the communicator the PM is. It would be a mistake.
That is true, but the complaints are the Ardern gets "free air time" during covid while the others don't, so remove that from the equation to stop giving them some BS ammunition.

I was going to say just Bloomfield, but then there will be some shit about how the government is missing in action.
Old 18th August 2020, 14:51     #5716
Lightspeed

Documents show ministry blunders on Wellington's Carillon tower

This is a fantastic metaphor for National's approach to NZ's social services in government.

Cut corners to save money, ignore advice, when costs balloon and things still turn to shit "we didn't even know", they did know.
Old 27th August 2020, 16:36     #5717
crocos

Judith and co jumping further out of touch with most NZers.
https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/pol...usiness-policy

Old 27th August 2020, 23:02     #5718
The Edge

Did she arch an eyebrow when she said this? Remember, if she arches an eyebrow when she says something, she's joking.
Old 2nd September 2020, 14:33     #5719
StN
I have detailed files

I wondered if the eyebrows were in play when she talked about not being able to control her husband.

And after the Herald article, I'm starting to warm to Dr Shane.
Old 2nd September 2020, 14:54     #5720
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Yeah, Dr Shane is a standout this past couple of weeks. Where has National been hiding him?