NZGames.com Forums
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Go Back   NZGames.com Forums > General > Open Discussion
User Name
Password

Old 10th April 2010, 10:21     #2041
pxpx

Sakura

Last edited by pxpx : 10th April 2010 at 10:24.
Old 10th April 2010, 16:50     #2042
lektronimo

Harsh harsh background. Is this a superzoom lens?
Old 10th April 2010, 19:20     #2043
pxpx

Just the standard canon efs 18-55, taken through glass though, was just stoked to get the bee in the flower tbh!
Old 11th April 2010, 02:14     #2044
Cyberbob

Didn't even notice the bee when I first saw it.

Very distracting out of focus background unfortunately... kinda makes you go crosseyed when trying to concentrate on it.
Old 11th April 2010, 11:06     #2045
exo

made a duplicate layer of the picture, then applied gausian blur until the background "harshness" went away. Then used a layer mask on the blurred layer so the bottom normal image showed through where the flowers and bee are.
Fixed the white and black points of the normal layer, and applied a light sharpen to the normal layer.

Last edited by exo : 11th April 2010 at 11:07.
Old 11th April 2010, 12:00     #2046
pxpx

WIN! thanks for that exo

I'll try do that on the high res version and see if I can get the same result
Old 12th April 2010, 13:31     #2047
Jodi

Nice bit of image rescue exo. Good work.

Oh, and props for Heresy keeping the thread alive, and setting a pretty good bar for quality too.

Now, if I could get away doing up my fucking kitchen for an hour I could actually post something.

Otherwise check out my flickr to see how imaginative you can get taking self portraits in the dark just before bed, because you forgot (for the 48th time) to actually make the effort to take a good photo.

Mind you, I am now getting the hang of isolating myself from a background using lighting (background == dark, me under spot).
Old 12th April 2010, 15:15     #2048
Yoda

Some from late last year... have most of summer to post process at the moment.

Old 12th April 2010, 15:16     #2049
Yoda

Old 12th April 2010, 15:18     #2050
Yoda

Edit - where has the disable smilies checkbox gone?

(Edit Ab - still there for me, enabling me to edit this post to workingness.)
Old 12th April 2010, 23:33     #2051
lektronimo

^ Hey holy shit, those are pretty damn good. Surprised no one said anything so far... Filters?
Old 13th April 2010, 00:12     #2052
Heresy
yawn.

That first one is very nice.
Old 13th April 2010, 02:52     #2053
MoP

That effect where the water is all 'smoothed out' (like it's been gone over with a photoshop blend tool)... what is that, and how is it done / why does that happen?
Old 13th April 2010, 02:54     #2054
Zephyrus-NT

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoP
That effect where the water is all 'smoothed out' (like it's been gone over with a photoshop blend tool)... what is that, and how is it done / why does that happen?
Long exposure time
Old 13th April 2010, 05:43     #2055
Mr Melon
My spoon is too big!

Damn, those are some nice shots. I like the second one!
Old 13th April 2010, 09:27     #2056
Fred

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoP
Try an exposure of around 0.5 of a second. The water flows during the exposure and glistens at differing points as it ripples and travels. The long exposure 'adds' all those together producing a smoothed flow effect.
Old 13th April 2010, 09:50     #2057
p01s0n

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred
Try an exposure of around 0.5 of a second. The water flows during the exposure and glistens at differing points as it ripples and travels. The long exposure 'adds' all those together producing a smoothed flow effect.
I'm a real noob, and probably snapshot artist at best. Something I've always wondered with this is how do you get a long exposure without having the image completely blown out?

Recently whilst photographing Perf excercising one of her customers horses, I played around with a low ISO speed (100, 200) and found I was able to shoot at much longer exposures than I normally would (1/250 vs 1/800-1000 in direct sunlight) without massively blowing out the image.

Is this the trick? Usually for bright sunny days we photograph the horses on shutter priority, 1/800, auto iso with the 75-300 nonIS kit lens.
Old 13th April 2010, 10:19     #2058
Yoda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoda
(Edit Ab - still there for me, enabling me to edit this post to workingness.)
I can click reply, view source, search for "disable" and find nothing relevant.

I'll admit to some pretty dense behaviour over my years, but I still can't find that box. I can see "Automatically parse links in text" but that made no difference when I was previewing my post. Firefox 3.6.3, adblock, firebug, and a few other addons.
Old 13th April 2010, 10:20     #2059
Heresy
yawn.

Quote:
Originally Posted by p01s0n
I'm a real noob, and probably snapshot artist at best. Something I've always wondered with this is how do you get a long exposure without having the image completely blown out?
By using one or more Neutral Density filters.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neutral_density_filter
Old 13th April 2010, 10:21     #2060
Mr Melon
My spoon is too big!

Also stopping the aperture right down, using a low iso too.
Old 13th April 2010, 10:23     #2061
Fred

Quote:
Generally by either stepping the apeture down to limit the light or controlling the film sensitivity (the ISO setting). When you chuck a DSLR into shutter priority mode the exposure meter will finagle the apeture to get a decent exposure for you. The operator generally needs to choose the film speed unless you explicitly set the auto-iso mode.

Quote:
Recently whilst photographing Perf excercising one of her customers horses, I played around with a low ISO speed (100, 200) and found I was able to shoot at much longer exposures than I normally would (1/250 vs 1/800-1000 in direct sunlight) without massively blowing out the image.

Is this the trick? Usually for bright sunny days we photograph the horses on shutter priority, 1/800, auto iso with the 75-300 nonIS kit lens.
Partly. Shutter priority is you telling the camera that the duration of the exposure is the critical factor. The camera will then adjust the apeture to best meet that target for you. (And in your case the film speed). I've never really found auto-ISO all that useful. The camera firmware usually has some odd bias that either gets it to settle on 400 or 200 ISO.

For what you are doing a little deliberate forcing of the film sensitivity is probably a good idea. 100 ISO is intended for bright sunlight use and as such is relatively 'insensitive' in terms of how quickly it records light levels. 200 is more interior and shadowy areas with 400 and above being strongly for low light levels. As you get more sensitive overall (IE the quicker the film speed) the less detail sensitive and more grain/noise you get. I'd recommend sticking to ISO100 as you will get more detail, less noise and slightly richer colours. (Note with the continuining improvement in sensors often the difference between ISO100-400 is pretty marginal and getting slimmer every year)

The downside to direct sunlight is that it tends to cast very harsh shadows. Depending on how the horses and rider react to flashes you might like to try a little fill-in flash is she is riding close enough or if you can take the shot when she is riding in a shaded area. The softer shadows in the shade are usually more pleasing.

Because the shutter is forcing the apeture then the depth of field you get in shot can be quite variable to the lighting conditions. That is when you might want to change the film speed to force a larger depth of field. Usually if you half depress the shoot button the camera will tell you both the apeture and the the exposure time - that F number will give you a handle on the depth of field. Low F numbers are very shallow so focus becomes paramount, which for a moving target like a rider can be tricky. The higher the film speed then the smaller the apeture has to become and the higher the F number.
Old 13th April 2010, 10:24     #2062
crocos

Yoda:
  • Top of the screen: User CP
  • Click on Edit Options on the left
  • Scroll down to the bottom of the screen to the "Message Editor Interface"
  • Choose "Standard Editor - Extra formatting controls" from the drop-box
  • Click "Save Changes"

وكل يوم كنت تعيش في العبودية

Last edited by crocos : 13th April 2010 at 10:25.
Old 13th April 2010, 10:24     #2063
Yoda

Quote:
Originally Posted by lektronimo
^ Hey holy shit, those are pretty damn good. Surprised no one said anything so far... Filters?
1st - 20-35mm@20mm (old Tokina tank film lens), hand held crappy old Cokin ND grad.

2nd - 20-35mm@22mm, polariser, f16@5s.

3rd - 105mm Sigma macro, polariser, f16@4s.

Waiting for the 16-35 f4, and then getting a Hitech filter holder & filters. Sick of Cokin magenta casts, sick of hand holding for long exposures. Almost always have my dog with me when shooting, and while she's getting better at learning to be still, being able to move back from the camera during exposure will be nice.
Old 13th April 2010, 10:29     #2064
exo

Quote:

Need lowest iso possible, and small aperture so less light can come through the lens. Or use a filter to cut out some light, Neutral filters or even a polariser will cut out light and make exposure longer. You need to use a tripod with longer exposures to eliminate image blur.

Depending on what mode your camera is in, you shouldn't get blown highlights. If you're shooting in Manual mode then its easily possible to blow highlights. But in Av or Tv mode, your camera should do correct metering for you(use multi-segment) and you shouldn't get blown highlights.. unless the range of shadows to bright lights is quite large aka larger than the dynamic range your camera can capture. In that case you have to shift your exposure down to save the highlights(sacrifice the shadows), you do that with -ev compensation.
Old 13th April 2010, 10:31     #2065
Yoda

Ta crocos, that works. Explains a lot.
Old 13th April 2010, 11:06     #2066
crocos

No prob

وكل يوم كنت تعيش في العبودية
Old 13th April 2010, 12:36     #2067
Khaddy

NZ Festival of Motorsport

Full set

Last edited by Khaddy : 13th April 2010 at 12:37.
Old 13th April 2010, 15:27     #2068
pxpx

Exo I cant seem to figure out how the layer mask works,

"Then used a layer mask on the blurred layer so the bottom normal image showed through where the flowers and bee are. "

Is it a simple explanation or is it quite intensive?
Old 13th April 2010, 18:43     #2069
Mr Melon
My spoon is too big!

I think I use my d40 more than my d90 these days... sigh.

Old 13th April 2010, 18:51     #2070
TnT

Quote:
Originally Posted by pxpx
Is it a simple explanation or is it quite intensive?
When you create a layer and add effects to it, you can essentially 'paint' it in or out using a brush. You set your brush colour to black to paint the layer out, or white to paint it in.

I'm pretty sure that's how it works, I know I'll be corrected, harshly, if I'm wrong
Old 13th April 2010, 20:57     #2071
Heresy
yawn.

Melon: great capture. Well cropped too.
Old 16th April 2010, 15:50     #2072
Yoda

Good summer sunset light at Tunnel Beach late Jan (yeah I'm that far behind in pp)

Old 16th April 2010, 16:34     #2073
Khaddy

Nice, Yoda.
Magic hour FTW
Old 16th April 2010, 20:23     #2074
Heresy
yawn.

Wonderful, Yoda. Bottom one is my favourite because of the starker change in colour, and the full reflection.

I spent Easter in Prague. Took a bunch of pictures. It wasn't as photographically satisfying as other holidays I've been on. Maybe too much beer stifled my creativity. It was overcast for a few days whch never helps either.

Anyway:

Old 17th April 2010, 04:28     #2075
Mr Melon
My spoon is too big!

Woah that last pic is epic Heresy!

Love how crisp those beach shots are too Yoda.
Old 18th April 2010, 07:33     #2076
Wibble

Just some old rubbish to bump this thread:

Old 18th April 2010, 21:03     #2077
lektronimo

Sucks to have stuff on bottom of the page... Old stuff out of the way as well.

What are quick and customisable ways for watermarks? I'm farting about too much with faststone image resizer, might need to employ photoshop...
Old 18th April 2010, 21:17     #2078
Trigga*happY

edit... bah guess i better learn how to link first!
Old 18th April 2010, 21:19     #2079
Trigga*happY

Taking a few snaps with my new EOS 500D... Have cut them down in size, and don't know squat about linking etc lol!

Last edited by Trigga*happY : 18th April 2010 at 21:21.
Old 18th April 2010, 21:31     #2080
Genesis

Nice Wibble very much like the second one down.

On a side note, Aperture 3 is friggin' amazing.