Old 31st January 2003, 15:37     #2
fobski

fucking aye

that thing is like...the greatest thing ever

i cant wait to reenact blackhawk down

Old 31st January 2003, 16:50     #3
Axident

Ooobaby *loses contrtol of bodily functions*

It's just in Alpha and it's already the greatest thing since Kenny G got his lips stuck in a rotary can opener. Any ideda when 0.3 will be out?
Old 31st January 2003, 17:52     #4
sgtrock[TQM]

No idea

Cant find a release date on the message boards there
I even spent a good hour looking from work
err I mean doing work
/hopes boss isnt reading this

Edit:note the Hind sitting on the runway in one of the pics
Old 31st January 2003, 18:34     #5
Axident

Re: No idea

Quote:
Originally posted by sgtrock[TQM]

Edit:note the Hind sitting on the runway in one of the pics
I noticed that It's a pity the helicopters are such sitting ducks for tanks.
Old 31st January 2003, 19:57     #6
sgtrock[TQM]

Maybe, Maybe not

I hear they are being sped up a touch
which might help
i cant wait to do the "insert a squad" behind enemy lines
thing with the hind/blackhawk
Old 31st January 2003, 20:03     #7
Ba'alzaman
Mad scientist

the apache moves a bit too slow at the moment, so it would be good if they are sped up a bit ...
Old 1st February 2003, 01:55     #8
Axident

If you can use personal weapons from inside the Blackhawk, that opens some interesting possibilities. Anti tank unit can fire at armor units from above. Engineers can airdrop mines and expacks onto roads and bridges That could really slow down an armored advance.
Old 1st February 2003, 11:53     #9
[TS]Sephiroth

Quote:
Originally posted by Ba'alzaman
the apache moves a bit too slow at the moment, so it would be good if they are sped up a bit ...
The AH64 is LAME at the moment. Sure, it requires some skill to learn how to fly, but, being able to fire both rocket barrages at the same time, and having them have almost infinite ammo can turn a game from a strategic battle royal, to a spamfest of rockets.

My 0.0002c
Old 1st February 2003, 12:23     #10
Redneck

Quote:
Originally posted by [TS]Sephiroth
The AH64 is LAME at the moment. Sure, it requires some skill to learn how to fly, but, being able to fire both rocket barrages at the same time, and having them have almost infinite ammo can turn a game from a strategic battle royal, to a spamfest of rockets.

My 0.0002c
I think the AH64 is a little weak at the moment - a Shilka AA tank will down one in seconds flat.
Old 1st February 2003, 12:28     #11
Ba'alzaman
Mad scientist

the apache while it has excellent firepower is also a sitting duck for enemy fire due to its slow speed. A faster apache would be something to fear I think.
I find the apache quite easy to fly (using mouse and keyboard)...don't see what the problem with that is ?
Old 1st February 2003, 19:21     #12
[TS]Sephiroth

Quote:
Originally posted by Ba'alzaman
the apache while it has excellent firepower is also a sitting duck for enemy fire due to its slow speed. A faster apache would be something to fear I think.
I find the apache quite easy to fly (using mouse and keyboard)...don't see what the problem with that is ?
It's easy to fly, yes, but I just find the general spammyness of it's weapons an irratation, rather than something fun/to be feared.
Old 1st February 2003, 20:40     #13
FB

Quote:
It's easy to fly, yes, but I just find the general spammyness of it's weapons an irratation, rather than something fun/to be feared.
I disagree.

I like the fact that I have to run like a mofo for cover as soon as I hear an apache coming over a hill.

It just wouldnt be the same if I could stand there and shoot back.

Alot of games try to avoid situations where the only option is to run away.

The problem is, those sorts of situations are often the ones that are the most immersive for the player.

A player spamming grenades = irritation, because thats simply not how it would be in RL, and its lame.

An apache helicopter spamming missles = realistic. weather it would fire misses that fast or not IRL is irrelivant, the fact that you are afraid of it is the thing that matters.
Old 1st February 2003, 22:52     #14
[TS]Sephiroth

Quote:
Originally posted by FB
IAn apache helicopter spamming missles = realistic. weather it would fire misses that fast or not IRL is irrelivant, the fact that you are afraid of it is the thing that matters.
I don't fear it. You know instantly you're dead.

Anyway, the mod IS still in development. Maybe the Axis will get a 'copter in the next version. Then it'll at least be more fair...
Old 1st February 2003, 22:54     #15
Ba'alzaman
Mad scientist

in reality in combat if you = grunt and you saw an apache coming at you you'd shit your pants. they are mean killing machines with heavy armour and fair bristling with weapons. DC makes it too easy to shoot down an AH64, in reality they are far tougher than that
Old 1st February 2003, 23:34     #16
armourking

It.
Is.
A.
Game.
Not.
Real.
Life.

Armourking.
Old 3rd February 2003, 02:50     #17
-Dr.J-

Quote:
I don't fear it. You know instantly you're dead.

Anyway, the mod IS still in development. Maybe the Axis will get a 'copter in the next version. Then it'll at least be more fair...

The axis get the Hind in 0.3. So the answer is yes, they get a chopper.

Don't forget that the axis 'jeep' works in water, so take a cruise to the village from South Base on Wake or whatever. Most would know this, but yeh.

The Blackhawk is in 0.3 too, so it looks like the allies get another upper hand. Maybe the axis will get a Chinook or some other Iriquois.

Baal, I think the hard bit about flying the chopper for most, is learning the principle of flying a chopper. If you know what does what, with rotors and throttle, then you've completed 90% of your training for it already

I thought FB's point was excellent. Right on about the Apache. I reckon they should bump up the damage on those Stingers. Apparently the mods want to put in heat seeking technology, but they reckon it can't be done till they get mod tools.

/all this info sourced from others' handy articles they linked here and in Gameplanet, kudos to the suppliers)
Old 3rd February 2003, 03:04     #18
mpx

I can't WAIT till they get the heat seeking stuff sussed... knowing you have a rocket on your tail, flying through the little crevaces on gazala trying to shake it
*shivers* ohhhhhh baby !
Old 3rd February 2003, 09:40     #19
FireStorm
Holmium

AFAIK the hind actually has troop carrying potential. Whether they implement this or not is another question.
Old 3rd February 2003, 23:19     #20
sgtrock[TQM]

cant see why not

Quote:
Originally posted by FireStorm
AFAIK the hind actually has troop carrying potential. Whether they implement this or not is another question.
They have already sussed the passenger spots on the blackhawk how hard can it be to apply this to the Hind?, Maybe they could have variants on teh hind frame like a gunship model and a transport/assault model for example.
Old 4th February 2003, 00:01     #21
Axident

They ARE intending to have Hind varients. There's the passenger model and the gunship model. The gunship model DOES NOT exist in reality. They're probably including it to balance the allied AC-130 and possibly the bomber.
Old 4th February 2003, 00:52     #22
-Dr.J-

Stolen from here.

The Hind

Right now, only the Americans have a helicopter. But soon, that will all change with the introduction of the hind. Right now, word is there will be two variants: transport and gunship. Both of those variants will have a pilot and a gunner. The pilot will control flight and rocket weapons, specifically 4 UB-32A24 pods each armed with 32 57-mm S-5 rockets (primary) and 4 AT-2 Swatter ATGMs The Gunner will operate a the chin turret-mounted 12.7 mm 4-barrel gatling gun with 1470 rounds. The weapon rotates 20 degrees up, 60 degrees down and 120 degrees from left to right.

The transport variant will have room for four armed troops in its main hull. We are toying with the idea of giving the passengers the ability to open/close the doors (we will need to experiment). The gunship variant will not support troop transport. Instead it will have two manned gatling gun turrets on each side. (BTW, I don't think anything like this exists in real life, but it would kick serious ass)