Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Go Back   NZGames.com Forums > General > Technology & Troubleshooting
User Name
Password

Old 11th June 2014, 14:31     #14561
_indigo1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ab
Why don't you read the article and work it out?
You mean the poorly labelled one that doesn't obviously purport to contain anything related to search on Apple/iOS?
Bullshit filter filtered that one out.

How bout I just ask? Oh wait. I did.

Last edited by _indigo1 : 11th June 2014 at 14:34.
Old 11th June 2014, 15:01     #14562
pxpx

Apple is a search company now?
Old 11th June 2014, 15:21     #14563
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

*sigh*

I'll use short little sentences.

Google is not a search company. It is an advertising company.

Google has made lots of money from people on desktop computers. Those people are drawn in by the usefulness of the Google search engine. While using the Google search engine on their desktop computers those people are shown ads and some of the people click the ads. The people using the search engine are Google's product, and the businesses placing the ads are Google's customers. Google sells the eyeballs of the people using the search engine to its advertising customers. This is how Google makes money.

But desktop computing is not a growth industry. And mobile computing is.

The businesses that advertise online - Google's target market - want to appeal to people on mobile devices because there are more and more of them and some of those people are quite happy to buy things straight from their mobile devices.

Those businesses are dramatically increasing the amount they spend on mobile advertising because that's where the eyeballs with money are.

However mobile users are not using the Google search engine for searching as much as desktop users did. Instead mobile users are using focused apps. Mobile users search for food using food apps, they search for consumer goods using shopping apps, they search for sex toys using sex toy apps, whatever.

The moment a user chooses to search for something within an app rather than within the Google search engine, that's a unit of product lost by Google. Google can't sell that user's eyeballs any more. And the advertiser, Google's customer, will go where the eyeballs are. It'll do deals with the app makers. So Google loses a customer too.

Quote:
US mobile search ad spending grew 120.8% in 2013, contributing to an overall gain of 122.0% for all mobile ads. Meanwhile, overall desktop ad spending increased just 2.3% last year.

eMarketer estimates that desktop search ad spending will drop $1.4 billion this year, a decrease of 9.4% from 2013, while mobile search will increase 82.3% year over year.
Now, Google saw this coming; it's the only reason Google purchased Android. The problem is that it doesn't seem to have worked.

hence why ruh-roh Google.
Old 11th June 2014, 18:48     #14564
MadMax
Stuff

http://www.yelp.co.nz/

looks like search for dummies. i can see it appealing to the same bunch of people that need a parking app

only non-google searching i can think i've ever done on my phone is possibly the AA app for accommodation which i probably won't use again.

Last edited by MadMax : 11th June 2014 at 18:49.
Old 11th June 2014, 19:02     #14565
BF Jax

I'm a dummy then, I use Yelp all the time when travelling abroad - especially if I don't know the city well and feel like a certain type of cuisine. Was invaluable last month in Los Angeles and probably will be in a few weeks when I'm in Washington DC for the first time.
Old 12th June 2014, 09:40     #14566
nostrom0

On a more interesting note, AAPL had a 7-1 share split just recently. Time to buy right?
Old 12th June 2014, 10:37     #14567
Pimp-X
Drunken Annoying
Superhero Bastard

Local Yelp? About fucking time.
Old 12th June 2014, 15:42     #14568
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

When I'm looking for somewhere to eat or drink locally I'll ask a friend if there's one handy. If there's no trusted human around to ask, I hit up the tripadvisor app. I sure as hell don't go to google in a browser.
Old 12th June 2014, 17:24     #14569
creamcheese

Dummy here too, Yelp is fucking baller, especially when there are a gazillion places to eat in a coupla block radius.
Old 12th June 2014, 20:06     #14570
_indigo1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ab
When I'm looking for somewhere to eat or drink locally I'll ask a friend if there's one handy. If there's no trusted human around to ask, I hit up the tripadvisor app. I sure as hell don't go to google in a browser.
The Google-fu is weak in this one

.. Seriously though - of course you wouldn't. No more so than you would Wikipedia.
You could always ask Siri.....

Last edited by _indigo1 : 12th June 2014 at 20:08.
Old 12th June 2014, 20:16     #14571
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

I do sometimes - Siri draws on the Yelp database.
Old 12th June 2014, 21:12     #14572
DrTiTus
HENCE WHY FOREVER ALONE

TripAdvisor is supported by ads. I'm not sure anything is achieved by your smugness. As you were, mailchump.
Old 12th June 2014, 21:25     #14573
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Old 12th June 2014, 21:45     #14574
DrTiTus
HENCE WHY FOREVER ALONE

You can't escape it's reach.
Old 12th June 2014, 23:31     #14575
CCS
Stunt Pants

You picked a dumb way to admit that you didn't read or understand what Ab wrote.
Old 13th June 2014, 01:18     #14576
DrTiTus
HENCE WHY FOREVER ALONE

I read it, he thinks using an app somehow makes you invisible/worthless to Google.
Old 13th June 2014, 03:22     #14577
CCS
Stunt Pants

Enlighten us, O brilliant shining light.
Old 16th June 2014, 21:46     #14578
chiQ
Frag-muff

Quote:
Originally Posted by ^BITES^
I personally just run a small SFTP server on my cell .. static DHCP assignment.

Added a small job to my file server:
(short version minus details)
When X exists sync Y to Z via SFTP. Bidirectional replication .. no worries.

Took 5 minutes.
The 7 - 15 year old customers I'm supporting probably wouldn't be up for that though.
Old 17th June 2014, 00:46     #14579
_indigo1

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiQ
The 7 - 15 year old customers I'm supporting probably wouldn't be up for that though.
Makes me think of those videos of babies trying to use magazines like iPAD's and getting confused.
Old 17th June 2014, 09:21     #14580
Pimp-X
Drunken Annoying
Superhero Bastard

I keep thinking of apples and seeing oranges.
Old 25th June 2014, 11:41     #14581
MadMax
Stuff

more android bollocks: despite perfectly good advertised local dns servers, i still see dns attempts to 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4
Old 25th June 2014, 13:37     #14582
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

If you're using Google's nameservers remember that means that CDNs like Akamai will think you're in the USA.
Old 25th June 2014, 15:22     #14583
DrTiTus
HENCE WHY FOREVER ALONE

In a perverse twist of fate, I have ended up with an iPhone for work as I'm going to be on call. Luckily for me it's a 4S, so I can still claim "poor" status.
Old 25th June 2014, 15:55     #14584
Lightspeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ab
If you're using Google's nameservers remember that means that CDNs like Akamai will think you're in the USA.
Well that's kinda dumb. Might explain some stuff though.
Old 25th June 2014, 20:47     #14585
mr selfdestruct
The Deliverator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrTiTus
In a perverse twist of fate, I have ended up with an iPhone for work as I'm going to be on call. Luckily for me it's a 4S, so I can still claim "poor" status.
The 4S is solid. It's the 4 thats a pile of pooh on iOS7
Old 2nd July 2014, 16:10     #14586
chiQ
Frag-muff

Quote:
Originally Posted by _indigo1
Makes me think of those videos of babies trying to use magazines like iPAD's and getting confused.
A lot of them are almost babies. They're adorable. I get user reports of "he used a bad word" and "she's being mean!".
Old 2nd July 2014, 20:30     #14587
MadMax
Stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ab
The devices are using the provided DNS servers - they can resolve local services. Not sure of the reason that they still send DNS traffic to google. I'll have to put a nostril on the data. DNS is a good way of bypassing firewalls (you can do ip over DNS to get through hotspot logins, for example) so I'm thinking data is sent there as a sure way of delivering data
Old 2nd July 2014, 21:09     #14588
mr selfdestruct
The Deliverator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMax
The devices are using the provided DNS servers - they can resolve local services. Not sure of the reason that they still send DNS traffic to google. I'll have to put a nostril on the data. DNS is a good way of bypassing firewalls (you can do ip over DNS to get through hotspot logins, for example) so I'm thinking data is sent there as a sure way of delivering data
arrrgghhh too much nerding!
Old 2nd July 2014, 23:43     #14589
MadMax
Stuff

Cool

Old 5th July 2014, 18:45     #14590
BWDOWN

lol

http://www.technobuffalo.com/2014/07...-battery-life/

If apple made a phone as large as the S5 I'm sure the battery would last longer as well. It's not like the S5 bench tests very well compared to the 5S either
Old 5th July 2014, 19:30     #14591
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Lol, the "wall huggers" line was a Blackberry attack ad a couple of years ago. How'd that work out for them?

Hint for Samsung: phone batteries drain when people go use the phones to go online and do stuff. When they're poorphones being used just for SMS? Not so much.
Old 5th July 2014, 19:48     #14592
Cyberbob

I know it's been a while, but I still can't believe how much slower my i4 seems on iOS7. All the higher end games like Infinity Blade, Injustice, Soul Calibur, Final Fantasy, World Ends With You, etc, are all almost unplayably slow in load times and performance.
Old 6th July 2014, 15:13     #14593
mr selfdestruct
The Deliverator

Newsflash, the iPhone 4 is REALLY old.
Old 6th July 2014, 16:40     #14594
ipee

Quote:
Originally Posted by BWDOWN
lol

http://www.technobuffalo.com/2014/07...-battery-life/

If apple made a phone as large as the S5 I'm sure the battery would last longer as well. It's not like the S5 bench tests very well compared to the 5S either
lol i think you got it the other way around. Larger display/higher resolution(1080p) = More battery drain, which pretty much puts the iphone in an even worse light, if that were possible of course.

For such a tiny screen, and the fact that it has very poor screen resolution and a very basic OS that can't perform many basic functions like multi-tasking then it's pretty inexcusable that the iphone has always had a poor reputation for battery life.
Old 6th July 2014, 17:28     #14595
MadMax
Stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyberbob
I know it's been a while, but I still can't believe how much slower my i4 seems on iOS7. All the higher end games like Infinity Blade, Injustice, Soul Calibur, Final Fantasy, World Ends With You, etc, are all almost unplayably slow in load times and performance.
+1

I remember opening up google earth on my old 4 and it would zoom in and around all smooth as. Before I upgraded to my new phone it was becoming almost unusable.
Old 6th July 2014, 22:31     #14596
mr selfdestruct
The Deliverator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipee
lol i think you got it the other way around. Larger display/higher resolution(1080p) = More battery drain, which pretty much puts the iphone in an even worse light, if that were possible of course.

For such a tiny screen, and the fact that it has very poor screen resolution and a very basic OS that can't perform many basic functions like multi-tasking then it's pretty inexcusable that the iphone has always had a poor reputation for battery life.
You know the S5's battery takes up the entire surface area of the phone right? You know the entire surface area of an iPhone is quite small right? Very big battery vs very small battery? Still no? Dammit I think we have lemon guys.
Old 6th July 2014, 23:47     #14597
mpx

I'm personally pretty impressed with the 5S battery life. Those big phones usually have 3200mha batteries these days so they'll be pretty beefy even with the extra real estate on the display.

I'm getting ready to just do away with a phone for a camera, and buy an actual camera since I'm taking way too many photos anyway. It makes the HTC One M8 much more desirable, or even the Nexus, or even a mid-range Motorola!
Old 7th July 2014, 16:06     #14598
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr selfdestruct
Newsflash, the iPhone 4 is REALLY old.
Still rockin' the fo' here.
Old 7th July 2014, 20:37     #14599
Spink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ab
Me too but Family Sharing of Apps in 8 has me antsy for a 4S+ to use all the shit my Dad has bought.
Old 7th July 2014, 20:52     #14600
mr selfdestruct
The Deliverator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ab
Fuck you must be so poor, poor bastard.