NZGames.com Forums
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Go Back   NZGames.com Forums > General > Open Discussion
User Name
Password

Old 8th October 2018, 13:42     #36001
Lightspeed

Gah. Just replied to a recruiter about a job they contacted me with. It sounds like a really good job with a great company. Immediately find two typos in my reply.

I mean, I doubt it will scupper things, but it's terrible for my heart, I swear.
Old 8th October 2018, 17:44     #36002
Nich

If it makes you feel any better, I once wrote a 10-page proposal on why my bosses should consider reviewing my "renumeration".
Old 8th October 2018, 18:00     #36003
Cyberbob

On the topic of that, I know a successful CEO that absolutely swears by delaying your own mail by five minutes. I've set my Outlook to do it. It just sits in the outbox for a few minutes before actually sending.

Most of the time you don't notice the difference, and other times it works as a brilliant "oh crap" get out of jail free card.
Old 16th October 2018, 09:34     #36004
pxpx

Paying $2.50 per litre to fill up grinds my gears. Oof.
Old 16th October 2018, 14:29     #36005
Lightspeed

It should have been more expensive long ago. Except, with less going towards profits for oil companies.

We need to have a much more direct relationship with carbon costs.
Old 16th October 2018, 23:55     #36006
DrTiTus
HENCE WHY FOREVER ALONE

Quote:
Originally Posted by pxpx
Paying $2.50 per litre to fill up grinds my gears. Oof.
I hear ya - $7.77 to fill up a scooter with 95. Pretty sure it used to be $6.50.
Old 17th October 2018, 08:45     #36007
pxpx

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrTiTus
I hear ya - $7.77 to fill up a scooter with 95. Pretty sure it used to be $6.50.
Not a bad call actually. Current plan is to get myself a bike when the boy is old enough to get to school (via bus) by himself.
Old 17th October 2018, 11:42     #36008
StN
I have detailed files

I saw 6 Lime scooters on the way to work (5 the day before, and only 1 on Monday) - installed the app and found a pile more. Considering becoming a Juicer - if they extend the range to my suburb. Otherwise I'll end up spending more on gas doing pickups and deliveries than I would make charging them.

Only a gear grind if petrol keeps going up.
Old 17th October 2018, 15:56     #36009
Cyberbob

Just spent lunch time in the Wynyard Quarter of Auckland. Couldn't go two minutes without seeing a few people on Limes.
Old 6th November 2018, 14:17     #36010
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

https://www.stuff.co.nz/entertainmen...gered-by-movie

Quote:
New Zealand's Chief Censor has required the warning note for the movie A Star is Born be updated to include "suicide" after Police Victim Support responded to two vulnerable young people 'severely triggered' by the movie.
A) spoiler alert,

B) fucking snowflakes
Old 6th November 2018, 14:32     #36011
pxpx

The herald reckons it's breaking news too.

C) Get off my lawn
Old 6th November 2018, 14:46     #36012
Nich

It's one of those "slow news day" kind of stories, for sure. But the film should have been classified and restricted correctly in the first place to avoid getting specific as they are now.

A personal suicide story isn't a nice thing to get reminded of by surprise.
Old 6th November 2018, 17:54     #36013
Lightspeed

It feel it should say something in the descriptive notes if the movie contains a disturbing death. Even if it just mentioned violence. After that people have to be responsible for what they watch. I'm not so sure about specifically mentioning suicide.
Old 6th November 2018, 20:07     #36014
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Maybe it would be safer if they just stayed at home, under the covers, and didn't read or see or listen to or eat or smell or touch anything that might make them feel triggered?
Old 6th November 2018, 20:15     #36015
Lightspeed

Home might be where the violence that left them prone to being triggered occurred, we can't assume that would be a comforting and safe experience.

It's pretty annoying when people with these experiences find ways to communicate their distress to the wider community, isn't it?
Old 6th November 2018, 20:42     #36016
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Are they going to complain about the lack of trigger warnings on every other literary, cinematic, or musical reference to suicide?
Old 6th November 2018, 21:58     #36017
Lightspeed

Who are they?
Old 7th November 2018, 01:18     #36018
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

TEH SNOWFLAKES!!1
Old 7th November 2018, 04:19     #36019
Lightspeed

If you're triggered by people getting triggered are you too a snowflake?
Old 7th November 2018, 10:20     #36020
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

There’s a difference between having one’s gears grinded and alleging that one is sufffering actual harm.
Old 7th November 2018, 11:55     #36021
blynk

So we are warned about Violence, Language, Sex Scenes
But you are complaining that Suicide shouldn't be listed.

I feel suicide (or attempted suicide) is a situation that should be alerted.
Who gives a flying fuck if it spoils a film. And in that case there's more reason to have it.
If its going to spoil a film, then it is going to be unexpected. If it's unexpected then people aren't going to have the option to say if they want to watch it or not.
Old 7th November 2018, 12:58     #36022
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

I notice that this listing does refer to suicide:

https://www.eventcinemas.co.nz/Movie/A-Star-Is-Born

Is that the new requirement?
Old 7th November 2018, 13:02     #36023
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

The Empire Strikes Back
Trigger warnings:
Contains bad parental role model
Contains amputation
Contains oppression by whites
Contains space creature that looks like a penis
Old 7th November 2018, 13:36     #36024
Nich

I think censorship and classifications aren't there to protect us from a Bradley Cooper hollywood hit with some dark moments. Also, Lady Gaga fans have been conditioned and encouraged to be OTT AF. Censorship and classifications are there to give us fair warning if we are sitting down to watch something like Irreversible.

But seeing as we have classifications for movies like Irreversible, we may as well have a gradient of classifications that leads us back to something like Toy Story. If the censors have done their job, they will be consistent in their classifications, and we as individuals can decide what we are ready for.

All that being said, IMDB has Irreversible down as "Crime , Drama , Mystery" ... oh boy, so it's just like Dexter?
Old 7th November 2018, 15:15     #36025
Lightspeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ab
There’s a difference between having one’s gears grinded and alleging that one is sufffering actual harm.
There's a difference between being traumatised to the point you're in each moment questioning whether you're safe and being annoyed because everything isn't just as you want it to be.

When did human suffering become such an abstract and hypothetical concept to you? Who's really being precious here?

Maybe the right decision wasn't made here, but we can still have some compassion and empathy. We can still recognise people struggle with what we experience as mundane due to circumstances not of their own making.
Old 7th November 2018, 16:09     #36026
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Of course we can have compassion and empathy. Like, the other day when the disabled serviceman had a meltdown at the Invictus Games tennis when a media helicopter flew overhead. Nobody was telling the dude to harden the fuck up.

But he did. And nobody called for helicopter trigger warnings.
Old 7th November 2018, 17:40     #36027
Lightspeed

You're saying "we" can have empathy while at the same time demonstrating a complete lack of it. It's us the untriggered vs them the triggered.

How are you so out of touch? It's like you're bitter about something specific, rather than just some general indifference.
Old 7th November 2018, 17:44     #36028
blynk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ab
I notice that this listing does refer to suicide:

https://www.eventcinemas.co.nz/Movie/A-Star-Is-Born

Is that the new requirement?
For this movie. Yes.
Old 7th November 2018, 18:12     #36029
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightspeed
You're saying "we" can have empathy while at the same time demonstrating a complete lack of it. It's us the untriggered vs them the triggered.

How are you so out of touch? It's like you're bitter about something specific, rather than just some general indifference.
The world is a rough place where shitty things happen. Dealing with the roughness and shittiness is part of being a grownup.
Old 7th November 2018, 18:52     #36030
Lightspeed

So fucking act like a grownup already! Deal with what you find rough and shitty instead of having a sook about it.

How pathetic are you that you feel done to by the most hurt and vulnerable in our society.

Last edited by Lightspeed : 7th November 2018 at 18:53.
Old 7th November 2018, 19:55     #36031
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

having a sook about things is literally what this thread is for
Old 7th November 2018, 22:06     #36032
Lightspeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightspeed
How pathetic are you that you feel done to by the most hurt and vulnerable in our society.
Old 8th November 2018, 01:28     #36033
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

this is a safe space, take your cis heteronormative microaggressions elsewhere
Old 8th November 2018, 13:41     #36034
StN
I have detailed files

Something something - so you've seen the latest ANZ safety video then?
Old 9th November 2018, 14:00     #36035
blynk

WGMG.

The news report about the shooting in California and the comment of "This was the worst mass shooting in 12 days".

That was only 12 days ago. That is not a stat you need to say. If it was 12 months then sure. 12 weeks, maybe. But not 12 days.
Old 9th November 2018, 15:12     #36036
blynk

Ok, maybe I missed their sarcasm that they were trying to convey.
Although sarcasm is not what I would expect on a newstalk zb new bulletin
Old 10th November 2018, 02:35     #36037
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

https://www.washingtonpost.com/busin...ation-incomes/
Old 10th November 2018, 02:41     #36038
Lightspeed

Quote:
He said his work shows the enduring power of investing in human beings
Yeah, nah. Pull yourself up by your bootstraps, AMIRITE? Teachers striking? They're just greedy!

Last edited by Lightspeed : 10th November 2018 at 02:42.
Old 10th November 2018, 15:27     #36039
Nich

Quote:
At the 30 missions Valencia studied, the Jesuits taught indigenous men and women of the Guarani tribe blacksmithing, arithmetic and embroidery. Those efforts stopped after the Jesuits were expelled.

They weren't expelled. Some missions just didn't teach to the exam, so they missed out on the next round of funding from the Vatican. Just look to the many examples of missions that told terrible students to stay home or call in sick on the day of testing. And like magic, the average student performance on the exam was improved, and the mission was rewarded with funding, and better pass/fail statistics.
Old 10th November 2018, 15:28     #36040
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

You have to agree though, it's a mindblowing claim. That in the Wapo article on Jesuits I mean.