User Name
Password

Old 18th July 2018, 10:03     #35961
Juju
get to da choppa

Quote:
Originally Posted by pxpx
Your time will come, Ju.
Thanks - I've been struck with a cold this week. I'm blaming you.
Old 18th July 2018, 13:07     #35962
pxpx

*evil laugh*
Old 20th July 2018, 21:16     #35963
MadMax
Stuff

Printer installer guy doesn’t call me before swapping out old printer.
Printer installer guy didn’t get the memo to call me beforehand.
Printer installer guy wonders why new printer isn’t on the network.
I notice printer queue offline
Remote branch staff mad cause no paperwork for customers
Customers mad cause no paperwork

Installer guy mad cause I’m asking him about that memo that would have saved the both of us a headache. If only he read instructions to check the printer label to save swapping out the wrong printer resulting in two printers connected with the same IP

Sux to be printer installer guy being sent back to site to complete job after hanging up on me and buggering off.

Last edited by MadMax : 20th July 2018 at 21:19.
Old 20th July 2018, 22:01     #35964
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

What’s a printer?
Old 21st July 2018, 00:13     #35965
MadMax
Stuff

A thingee that desecrates the bones of trees at a specified rate per minute.
Old 23rd July 2018, 17:45     #35966
Cyberbob

Vaccination arguments on Facebook community pages.

I'm absolutely for vaccination, and there's nothing anyone could say or do to change that, and I'm sure it's exactly the same for the other team.

It's always the scientific findings versus the personal stories of loose correlation, and people are so passionate about it on both sides.

I don't even bother putting my 2c in anymore other than a michaeljacksoneatingpopcorn.gif meme.

You can't use science and logic to sway someone's point of view, when they didn't use science and logic to establish that point of view, yet people still try.

Last edited by Cyberbob : 23rd July 2018 at 17:48.
Old 23rd July 2018, 18:10     #35967
StN
I have detailed files

^^ Did you see Jenny McCarthys freakout around her Google Home appliance? No one was in her music room, and she heard some loud piano notes coming from the room - initial and most rational reaction in her mind? I was a ghost.

Not a digital assistant boot sound...

Occam's razor <> Occam's autism incurring vacc needle.
Old 23rd July 2018, 18:33     #35968
DrTiTus
HENCE WHY FOREVER ALONE

The best part is when vaccines do kill children, the "experts" put out a statement that there must have been something wrong with the children that they forgot to check for.

But the science is clear - those babies did not get measles, mumps OR rubella in the last few minutes of their lives.

Science: 1, Samoan Parents: -2
Old 23rd July 2018, 22:07     #35969
xor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ab
What’s a printer?
Some organizations are obsessed with printers. Others are not. Last place i worked had 1 printer for every 5 staff members. The mind boggles.
Old 20th August 2018, 13:15     #35970
Lightspeed

My previous mechanic fucking screwed me.

Got a bunch of work done, shocks, clutch, a few seals, rocker cover gasket, alternator and power steering belt, full service. They got the wrong gasket, so I had to pay twice for that. Did a poor job of the clutch, so it gets the shakes at low revs. Lost a front wheel guard, the other barely attached. Engine cover missing a bunch of bolts.

But worst of all, they barely put any oil back in it, so it's been running with low oil which has caused engine damage.

I'm considering whether to cut my losses, but I can't really afford a new car, and I really like this one.
Old 20th August 2018, 15:15     #35971
CCS
Stunt Pants

Make them pay for it? You're entitled to expect a reasonable quality of work from professionals. If they won't fix it appropriately, consider getting another mechanic to fix it and and invoice the first mechanics. They'll refuse and you take it to the Disputes Tribunal.
Old 20th August 2018, 16:53     #35972
Lightspeed

That's a good idea for the clutch, if the new mechanic can demonstrate the fault.

For the oil, it's an old car, hard to prove it didn't just leak out or get burnt up (even though I hardly drove it.)
Old 20th August 2018, 19:47     #35973
CCS
Stunt Pants

If they got the wrong gasket, surely you shouldn't pay twice for that?
Old 20th August 2018, 20:41     #35974
Lightspeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCS
If they got the wrong gasket, surely you shouldn't pay twice for that?
You'd think, right?
Old 21st August 2018, 14:24     #35975
pxpx

You shouldn't have paid twice.

Anyway, No mechanic will invoice another mechanic for the correction of work done incorrectly. Give your guy an opportunity to fix all the shoddy work at no cost to yourself.

If he doesn't oblige, inform him that you'll be taking your car to someone else to fix and take him to the disputes tribunal to recover your costs.

When your new guy is done with his work, ask him for a detailed invoice which explains everything that was done incorrectly that he had to resolve. Let him know ahead of time so he can make notes of stuff.
Old 21st August 2018, 14:46     #35976
Lightspeed

I hear you.

At this point the car is probably a write-off thanks to the engine damage, which I won't be able to pin on the mechanic, the car being nearly 25 years old.

I might still see if the immediate problem can be fixed, then get the previous mechanic to address the clutch issue. But I might just cut my losses, I'll have to think about it.

It's a shame, I did my best to look after it, it'll hard to find a good balance of performance and economy like this one. I spent probably ~$10k on it, including purchase price, ran for over 10 years, put ~90k on it.
Old 22nd August 2018, 12:23     #35977
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

I’m having that crisis right now with my Jeep. I’m still driving the same car I was 18 years ago, have put nearly 200km on it. It needs a new trans and I’m thinking “repair or get new car... repair or get new car...”
Old 27th August 2018, 21:49     #35978
MadMax
Stuff

Anyone got an HP LaserJet 2100?

Mine just died

*cries*
Old 28th August 2018, 07:50     #35979
StN
I have detailed files

^^^ I just moved mine from one side of the garage to the other on Sunday - it was working well as a shelf supporting two Apple//e Platinum's.
Old 28th August 2018, 13:19     #35980
MadMax
Stuff

Would you part with it?
Old 28th August 2018, 14:10     #35981
pxpx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ab
I’m having that crisis right now with my Jeep. I’m still driving the same car I was 18 years ago, have put nearly 200km on it. It needs a new trans and I’m thinking “repair or get new car... repair or get new car...”
For some reason I've thought you drove an early 90s dark grey hilux.
Old 28th August 2018, 14:29     #35982
Lightspeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ab
The problem is, it's not exactly a rational decision. At least in my case I'm quite attached to my car.
Old 28th August 2018, 15:30     #35983
StN
I have detailed files

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMax
Would you part with it?
Probably not - but I'll see if we have any in Auckland.
Old 28th August 2018, 16:15     #35984
DrTiTus
HENCE WHY FOREVER ALONE

Quote:
Anyone got an HP LaserJet 2100?
Why that model in particular? Doesn't print magic dots that give away your identity? :P

Edit: Pretty sure I have that exact model at home too. Printing via Wifi your thing?
Old 28th August 2018, 18:56     #35985
Lightspeed

I'm not sure what upsets me more. Having to walk two hours home because I lost my wallet at the gym. Or not giving any attention to the cute gym instructor who literally bounced over to me to say hi because I was too distracted about losing my wallet.

I need pancakes. Lots of pancakes.
Old 28th August 2018, 21:20     #35986
MadMax
Stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrTiTus
Why that model in particular? Doesn't print magic dots that give away your identity? :P

Edit: Pretty sure I have that exact model at home too. Printing via Wifi your thing?
nah just an old-school awesome printer. when i picked this one up it came with a bunch of spare cartridges. go go pcl5 and a java based web interface.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StN
Probably not - but I'll see if we have any in Auckland.
I'm in palmy. i do think the cost of postage would prohibitive, short of checking out fastway's prices as they seem to be be cheaper with cross-sector postage on large+heavy items.
Old 30th August 2018, 17:55     #35987
MadMax
Stuff

Nice one chorus. Problem taking too long to fix but you’ve got a ticket sitting there dragging down your average responce time? Just close it and open it under a new one!
Old 30th August 2018, 20:32     #35988
StN
I have detailed files

Quote:
I'm in palmy. i do think the cost of postage would prohibitive, short of checking out fastway's prices as they seem to be be cheaper with cross-sector postage on large+heavy items.
Hmm - I may be able to find something in Palmy.

Last edited by StN : 30th August 2018 at 20:34.
Old 1st September 2018, 17:08     #35989
MadMax
Stuff

oh that'd be mint if you can
Old 8th September 2018, 00:06     #35990
Lightspeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightspeed
At this point the car is probably a write-off thanks to the engine damage, which I won't be able to pin on the mechanic, the car being nearly 25 years old.

I might still see if the immediate problem can be fixed, then get the previous mechanic to address the clutch issue. But I might just cut my losses, I'll have to think about it.

It's a shame, I did my best to look after it, it'll hard to find a good balance of performance and economy like this one. I spent probably ~$10k on it, including purchase price, ran for over 10 years, put ~90k on it.
Took a gamble, three days later no word from the mechanic. I'll take that as good news: it's a problem they can fix and are working on it.
Old 8th September 2018, 09:03     #35991
StN
I have detailed files

Quote:
oh that'd be mint if you can
Sadly, it appears the asset lifecycle and disposal process has been followed, and none of the magpies squirrelled any away up north - sorry.
Old 20th September 2018, 09:50     #35992
StN
I have detailed files

Dear MSM - stop saying 40 kiwis won 1st division Lotto last night.

There were 40 winning lines across at most 40 virtual or real tickets.

I'd be willing to wager that at least one of the Powerball winners also had 10 winning Div1 lines - probably across two tickets.
Old 20th September 2018, 13:18     #35993
blynk

Quote:
Originally Posted by StN
Dear MSM - stop saying 40 kiwis won 1st division Lotto last night.

There were 40 winning lines across at most 40 virtual or real tickets.

I'd be willing to wager that at least one of the Powerball winners also had 10 winning Div1 lines - probably across two tickets.
Are you thinking that someone out there picked the numbers 3,5,7, 9,11,13 ten times one for each powerball?

Don't quite think that happened (it used to with Big Wednesday).
Although there were 4 "winners" from 1 store, and I believe that to be the same person.

But how muck would that suck.
Woohoo I won 1st division. A 1 in 3m chance. What did I win.

(Which was actually a smaller value than divison 2 @27k)
Old 20th September 2018, 20:01     #35994
StN
I have detailed files

Quote:
Originally Posted by blynk
Are you thinking that someone out there picked the numbers 3,5,7, 9,11,13 ten times one for each powerball?
You mean you don't?

I do for the exact reason that sharing is bad mmkay.

(And yes, when I won a bonus ticket back in the days of Big Wednesday, I would buy the reciprocal one - with the odds being the same either way with the coin toss.)
Old 21st September 2018, 09:49     #35995
pxpx

I do the same...
Old 21st September 2018, 14:25     #35996
blynk

I feel big wednesday was a little different.

There was a big difference between the big win and the next win, and you only had to buy 2 of the same numbers to cover that.
Generally powerball didn't have that same difference, and you have to buy 10x for each line.

Yeah, you are right and there would be some people that do that, just not to a great extent.
Old 21st September 2018, 14:35     #35997
MadMax
Stuff

It’s fantastic being the IT guy that magically fixes things just by walking in the room but not so much when you’re on the receiving end of that

Phone problem for a business cleared itself as soon as the Chorus guy arrived. No explanation for the business as to the cause of the fault.
Old 22nd September 2018, 13:00     #35998
blynk

I've had a that a few times recently.
Had a new team member running the old TMs jobs.

Asks me should it be taking 1.5 hours to run. Half way through my answer it finishes
Old 27th September 2018, 13:09     #35999
MadMax
Stuff

Blerg

How much curry does one need to consume before it becomes your odorant?
Old 27th September 2018, 20:25     #36000
crocos

That's more lack of hygiene.

وكل يوم كنت تعيش في العبودية