NZGames.com Forums
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Go Back   NZGames.com Forums > General > Open Discussion
User Name
Password

Old 26th June 2017, 11:43     #35841
blynk

Nope they don't have to, but they might offer something small like a 1 month AT hop card or something because a lot of people complained.
But we have had a shit load of redundancies. I can't help but think it's more than they were expecting.
We lost an entire HR department in the space of a month.

I did wonder how far a company would have to move for it to be considered a major change to a role and I could take redundancy.
Old 26th June 2017, 11:47     #35842
CCS
Stunt Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by blynk
We lost an entire HR department in the space of a month.
Nice. What a shame it took a month.
Old 28th June 2017, 14:04     #35843
blynk

What grinds my gears, window washers at intersaction.

What really fucks me off, there was a kid that wouldn't have been older than 11/12 with them.
1- Its a fucking school day and your(???) kid is with you and not actually learning
2- Its fucking dangerous enough running through the traffic and half of these fucks are big and pretty hard to miss. The kid was not.
3- Its fucking illegal

Although I guess its better that than having the kid with you when you do an aggravated robbery
Old 28th June 2017, 14:13     #35844
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Yeah I freaked out when I realised there was someone standing in traffic next to me as I was making a turn through the vehicular shitfest that was Pakuranga on Friday afternoon. Really distracting.

---

Edit update: this thread is jinxed and is not accepting new replies. I'll start a GMG 2.
Old 30th November 2017, 12:04     #35845
Cyberbob

Names changed to protect the guilty.

Sent: Thursday, 30th November, 2017, 10:00am
To: Me
Subject: Re: Termination of services Due 30/11/2017

Hi Bob, we've lost all connectivity, can you please look into ASAP?

GEE I WONDER WHY, MR CLIENT.

Last edited by Cyberbob : 30th November 2017 at 12:06.
Old 30th November 2017, 13:00     #35846
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyberbob

lolololol
Old 30th November 2017, 13:42     #35847
crocos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ab
this thread is jinxed and is not accepting new replies. I'll start a GMG 2.
FAKE NEWS! FAKE NEWS!
(Did I do that right?)

وكل يوم كنت تعيش في العبودية
Old 30th November 2017, 13:46     #35848
CCS
Stunt Pants

Quote:

Up the ante by pretending he has sent the email to the wrong person. HELLO SIR MY NAME Is SEPTAJUL AND LIVE IN KOLKATA BUT MAYBE I CAN HELP YOU WITH YOU CONNECTIVITY MY NEPHEW RAJESH IS STUDYING COMPUTER IT
Old 30th November 2017, 14:00     #35849
Lightspeed

Thumbs up

Quote:

Haha, you made my day.
Old 4th December 2017, 10:54     #35850
Cyberbob

This isn't news to anyone, but fuck rental property managers.

Me as a tenant are a bloody nobody in that relationship. Am I the customer? Nope. Are they incentivised to keep me happy, or even acknowledge emails? Nope. Can I go elsewhere if I'm not happy with the property manager? Nope. I don't have any weight what so ever in the dynamic unless i invoke legislation in the event that I need some repairs or something done urgently, and even then, they've got 14 days to lift a finger once they've been served.

Absolutely shit communication, shit work ethic, shit professionalism, and yet I'm completely at their mercy.

I do account / relationship management as a full time role, and I'd be out of a job if I treated clients the same way that property managers treat tenants.

Last edited by Cyberbob : 4th December 2017 at 10:57.
Old 4th December 2017, 12:22     #35851
Lightspeed

sigh

Yeah, I know that feel.

When I moved in the landlord brought over a plank of wood to replace the rotting beam supporting the deck. Eight years later that plank of wood is still sitting in the carport.

Completely resents that I insist they give appropriate notice when coming around. Does shit like says they'll be there Thursday, shows up on Friday. Last communication was:

LL: "Can I come check that problem this morning?"
Me: "We're all out right now, how about tomorrow?"
LL (next morning): "Be there in 20."

I was just about to head to work again, I called him told him not to come around. He said "but you said tomorrow", exasperated I exclaimed "I asked about tomorrow, there was a question mark!"

I was grateful when they refurbished the bathroom, that wasn't properly finished the first time they did it. Took twice as long, because the landlord would watch whatever TV we were watching, saying shit like "Ooh, you wouldn't want to marry that bitch!" all the while. And then would bitch we didn't work "normal" jobs so he could have the house to himself.
Old 15th December 2017, 22:26     #35852
MadMax
Stuff

Ubiquiti has a built-in check for firmware updates button. Too bad it doesn't work. No, you fucking do not have the latest firmware

Mikrotik has a software update button too. It actually works but better than that, you can select from multiple update channels.

Disclaimer, Mikrotik fanboy.

Last edited by MadMax : 15th December 2017 at 22:28.
Old 16th December 2017, 09:54     #35853
StN
I have detailed files

My Ubiquiti has been doing some random drop outs lately - maybe it was grabbing and applying firmware *thinks hopefully*...
Old 19th December 2017, 11:04     #35854
DrTiTus
HENCE WHY FOREVER ALONE

Ministry of Justice have the authority to extract money from any NZ bank account without account holder authorisation. They can even extract more than they are entitled to, because competence is not their strong point. The Maori lady on the phone was somewhat empathetic - "because we are the MoJ, we can take money from any account - sick eh?"

Surprise surprise, it's much harder for them to put the money back once they realise and admit their mistake. They can send a cheque... but how about just putting the money back the same way it was taken? You know, without me doing anything.

It wouldn't be a bad idea for them to provide receipts/account reviews whenever money is taken so that everyone knows what's going on.

Oh wait, government department... it'll never happen. Bunch of useless cunts.
Old 19th December 2017, 13:01     #35855
CCS
Stunt Pants

Laugh

That's a ridiculous situation, but otoh hand I can't help but wonder how you fucked up so badly that the MOJ is snatching money from you.
Old 19th December 2017, 13:37     #35856
crocos

Needing to stab myself 3+ times a day with a lancet GMG.
Being pathologically scared of needles doesn't help that situation.

Old 20th December 2017, 17:56     #35857
MadMax
Stuff

Explaining instructions to someone and they start interrupting or arguing with you. Hello ... if you want my help you're gonna have to listen for a bit.

Fuck you I'll just start again from step one until you STFU.
Old 20th December 2017, 18:49     #35858
[Malks] Pixie

So my mum got bitten by one of her neighbours dogs (on shared property) - they're nice people but 10 stitches isn't just a flesh wound. And she's determined to be at work every day leading up until Christmas (she works retails).

Expecting to have some words with the neighbours when I'm up there for Christmas morning.
Old 21st December 2017, 13:11     #35859
fixed_truth

Shared property or not imo that dog should be put down.
Old 21st December 2017, 15:18     #35860
Lightspeed

Isn't that pretty much standard practice when there's a serious dog attack?
Old 21st December 2017, 15:33     #35861
DrTiTus
HENCE WHY FOREVER ALONE

If the neighbours are "nice people" then it probably wasn't reported to Police, so no one is making the call to DESTROY THE FAMILY PET.
Old 21st December 2017, 15:36     #35862
Lightspeed

It depends I suppose. If the offending family came out sitting under their mat, I'd be inclined to quickly forgive and forget. But if there's no response, or worse, a defensive response, then I'd be thinking about how comfortable I am with a violent neighbour.
Old 21st December 2017, 16:10     #35863
DrTiTus
HENCE WHY FOREVER ALONE

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCS
That's a ridiculous situation, but otoh hand I can't help but wonder how you fucked up so badly that the MOJ is snatching money from you.
I got 12 months supervision for assaulting a Police officer.

Wasn't made aware of the offender levy ($50) from the conviction since I didn't get a fine, so they set up an AP of $25 a week that didn't stop until I queried it.
Old 21st December 2017, 17:31     #35864
CCS
Stunt Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrTiTus
I got 12 months supervision for assaulting a Police officer.

What a tough dude!

Quote:
Wasn't made aware of the offender levy ($50) from the conviction since I didn't get a fine, so they set up an AP of $25 a week that didn't stop until I queried it.

That is fairly retarded... but... yeah... I dunno, don't assault people?
Old 21st December 2017, 17:49     #35865
[Malks] Pixie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrTiTus
If the neighbours are "nice people" then it probably wasn't reported to Police, so no one is making the call to DESTROY THE FAMILY PET.
Yeah that's pretty much it - my mum is a big softy, you have to work really hard to get on her bad side. The dog in question is an ex-rescue dog that had had a pretty rough run - so she's "understanding" (perhaps a bit too much so).

I'll be having a talk with the neighbours and making it clear that if the dog so much as growls at her then I'll have no problem with reporting the incident. But I don't have to live next to them either so...
Old 22nd December 2017, 11:09     #35866
leadinjector

Quote:
Originally Posted by [Malks] Pixie
Yeah that's pretty much it - my mum is a big softy, you have to work really hard to get on her bad side. The dog in question is an ex-rescue dog that had had a pretty rough run - so she's "understanding" (perhaps a bit too much so).

I'll be having a talk with the neighbours and making it clear that if the dog so much as growls at her then I'll have no problem with reporting the incident. But I don't have to live next to them either so...
yeah nah that dog needs to go. how stink is your mum gonna feel if that dog fucks up someones kid. tough shit if its a rescue, if thats the case the owners are obv out of their depth.
Old 23rd December 2017, 07:10     #35867
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Yup, what lead said.
Old 27th December 2017, 09:37     #35868
StN
I have detailed files

I cannae find Guy Francis and Becky duetting Fairy Tale of New York. Seems to have been erased from the hive mind. Bugger.
Old 2nd January 2018, 13:44     #35869
crocos

Started PC this morning; no sound. Fuck, that'll put a crimp in my Spotify habit. Checked default sound device, was correct. Unplugged & replugged speakers, nup. Tried USB headset, well... it works, but I don't want to wander around like that - cord is too short. Powered down and pulled PC out to check connections, cleared and reloaded the sound drivers, not a fucking thing. Speakers & amp work with other sources.

Fuck, but this is annoying.

Old 2nd January 2018, 13:54     #35870
CCS
Stunt Pants

Spotify hates you. You'll just have to break out the tape deck.
Old 11th January 2018, 12:10     #35871
pxpx

I had a small, but fairly old lemon tree that got attacked by lemon borer and was infested with ants; it was/is surrounded by a 1.5 x 1.5m low brick wall, and sat in the middle of the lawn.

The thing really fucks with my lawn mowing pattern so i figure I wont replace the tree, I'll dig it out, knock out the small brick wall and turf over it with some ready lawn.

Tree comes down easy enough, but to get the stump out I need to dig the soil away, I figure that will be easier with no brick wall around it. Out comes the the sledge hammer and start smacking it down, but pretty soon find out that there's at least one layer of bricks below ground level. No problem, get the pick axe and strip the turf just next to the wall.

Nek minnit discover a substantial concrete footing below the turf and the brick wall and what would have taken a couple of hours and a trip to the tip is now a trip to hirepool for a concrete breaker, twice as much manual labor and a whole lot of fuck-I-should-have-just-planted-a-new-tree-and-enjoyed-many-more-years-of-fresh-delicious-lemons.

Thanks for listening.
Old 11th January 2018, 13:36     #35872
Lightspeed

Sometimes life gives you lem... oh, wait.
Old 11th January 2018, 13:59     #35873
CCS
Stunt Pants

Sounds a bit over-engineered for a lemon tree enclosure. D'ya reckon it used to be a backyard burnoff pit?
Old 11th January 2018, 21:10     #35874
Cyberbob

Quote:
Originally Posted by crocos
Started PC this morning; no sound. Fuck, that'll put a crimp in my Spotify habit. Checked default sound device, was correct. Unplugged & replugged speakers, nup. Tried USB headset, well... it works, but I don't want to wander around like that - cord is too short. Powered down and pulled PC out to check connections, cleared and reloaded the sound drivers, not a fucking thing. Speakers & amp work with other sources.

Fuck, but this is annoying.
Obviously need to change the IRQ and DMA in Config.sys

Might need to load it into high memory if you've got your EMM386.exe working.
Old 12th January 2018, 00:15     #35875
crocos

Wow. I vaguely remember the days of having custom configs for various games as well as one for Windows... and even a utility config for faster compression and things like that.

Old 30th January 2018, 14:55     #35876
crocos

Whelp, just been informed ~30 min ago that my role is being made redundant (along with others). Kinda understandable - my role-on-paper hasn't been my role-in-reality for around 2 years now, and corporation HR departments tend to care more about words on paper.

Haven't been without a known source of employment since June 1999, so I'm feeling a fucking weird mix of emotions right now. Excitement, Anger, Fear, Curiosity and more I've not really put a name to yet.

Will be interesting to see what opportunities I've got going forward.

Fuck, I'm going to need to be interviewed! That's not happened for 17 years.

Old 30th January 2018, 15:14     #35877
crocos

Ooh yuck. I may even need to do something with LinkedIn.

Old 30th January 2018, 16:50     #35878
StN
I have detailed files

An unenviable situation you find yourself in old chap. I'm picking that your tenure will stand you in good stead for some bridging period - back onto the same treadmill, or time to re-evaluate?
Old 30th January 2018, 19:26     #35879
crocos

It's a wasted opportunity if I don't evaluate my situation.

I've been given a strong hint from both my manager and his manager that there will be redeployment opportunities, and to be fair where the organisation is headed is overall good, despite some shit that I'm not at liberty to discuss in even semi-private like NZG.

I think the managers were a little surprised at how calmly I took the news. Still, there's options, so I'm not stressed yet.

Old 30th January 2018, 19:40     #35880
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

shit, that sucks man. Best of luck. Don't count your strong redeployment hints until the chickens have hatched, if you get my drift. I've experienced strong redeployment hints before and they turned out to just be management bullshitting to ease the redundancies.

Don't pretend to be Mr Cool if you're actually hurt/gutted/scared. See a counsellor, get former employer to pay.