Old 17th December 2007, 15:12     #2
Caesar

/pass.

C
Old 17th December 2007, 15:31     #3
orpheus
Jedi Knight

this is open beta now right ?

i got my beta key a few weeks back and signed up and went through all the crap to get logged in and have yet to login and create a toon
Old 17th December 2007, 15:48     #4
Cyberbob

So far:
  • Looks pretty.
  • Ship combat is fun. Decent degree of skill involved with wind changes etc.
  • Avatar combat is stand in a spot and press buttons to make your guy swipe his sword. boring and easy, thankfully over with quickly.
  • Economy, there's absolutely fuckall npc's involved, so it's entirely player driven. could possible become another "YOU GIVE SOJ?" with nothing stopping monopolies etc. Currently a very Bill Gates style market domination going on.
  • Similar PvP to Eve. Nice feeling of conflict between the various nations.
  • Crafting is kinda fun but if you're a pirate you can just take over whatever you defeat, so that's entirely OP.
  • Quests make you want to just go 'next','next','next','finish' without reading what you're being told to do. Thankfully the main attraction is the PvP, and only WoW carebears will complain about the quests.
  • It's beta.
I wouldn't be suprised if it's a failure overall once it launches, but it's pretty fun at the moment. Might have a few rough patches ala Eve upon launching.
Old 20th December 2007, 14:59     #5
SpYDa

agreed
alot of potential, faguely similar to sid miers pirates but multiplayer!
but agree the avatar combat is A LOT to be desired, i think a more direct link between mouse and sword would make it a lot better.

have yet to progress to any raiding or treasure hunting etc...

Last edited by SpYDa : 20th December 2007 at 15:02.
Old 21st December 2007, 09:18     #6
Foxman

The avatar combat actually has a lot going on, its just not very well portrayed at the moment. Never has been really. Its supposed to be about using your moves to maintain your own balance and initiative while reducing that of your opponent(s).
Sadly, the way it works now is little more than stand and click randomly which is really quite poor when compared to the ship combat.
Old 21st December 2007, 10:11     #7
xin

I found the first town for the Brits was awesome. Just the right size and population/npc/building density.

And then as soon as you leave for another town you get the " 'Big' MMO " effect where the size of the towns overgrow the terrain detail, NPC/Building density and texture resolution.

Ship combat is fun, but PvP combat sounds flawed (Never got that far). Want to win a few ship battles and haul alot of loot? Go look for an exisiting fight and sit around and wait for whoever is left over.

Avatar combat is arse. I get the feeling that your skills don't have much use because the defence rate is so high so all it really comes down to is timing your swings... Think WoW Rogues, only you have to build your energy up and it depletes over time. It becomes incredbily frustrating to build the stat up to use it on a move.

This is either a very early beta or a flop.
Old 21st December 2007, 10:16     #8
Cyberbob

Good video of it here

http://www.gametrailers.com/player/29119.html
Old 29th February 2008, 11:56     #9
Foxman

Old thread I know but thoguht this might be of interest to some. PotBS is free for NZ and AU users.

Instead of distributing boxes into the region, FLS have partnered with Telstra to deliver PoTBS digitally via the Gamearena/Bigpond service.

Basically it means you can sign up and download the game for nothing and have a 7 day trial period. Once that expires you need to subscribe as normal but you no longer have any upfront cost.

There is a dedicated AU server (still based in the US though) for this scheme and if you're simply interested in seeing what Pirates is like then its worth a look.

http://www.gamearena.com.au/pirates/
Old 1st March 2008, 17:10     #10
orpheus
Jedi Knight

you playing this Fox ? You enjoying it ? I know you were interested in this since the old '42 days