NZGames.com Forums
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Go Back   NZGames.com Forums > General > Open Discussion
User Name
Password

Old 12th September 2022, 12:44     #281
Ajax
Architeuthis

It's remarkable how the delivery of a small number of modern precision-guided rocket launching systems has comprehensively screwed the Russians and turned the war on its head. The concern now is that Putin goes into 'fuck it' revenge mode and starts firing off tactical nukes.
Old 12th September 2022, 13:15     #282
xor

He'd have a mandate for it imo. Having NATO push for a position 300 miles from Moscow is an existential threat for Russians.
Old 12th September 2022, 16:13     #283
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

NATO doesn't "push" membership on anyone.
Old 12th September 2022, 16:21     #284
xor

Yeah, i'm not so sure i'd agree with that.
Old 12th September 2022, 16:48     #285
Lightspeed

If anything it's Russia that pushes NATO membership onto countries. Western corruption sucks, but families aren't getting killed in mysterious circumstances. Are they?
Old 12th September 2022, 17:10     #286
xor

Yeah, i'd agree with that. Though, the west should have been doing much more to voice its neutrality with Ukraine prior to 2014. Instead, the the CIA director to go there for no particular reason.

Russia is acting no differently to Ukraine than what the US did in Iraq 2003 IMO.
Old 12th September 2022, 17:19     #287
Lightspeed

Yeah, with fuck up after fuck up, I'm surprised we enjoy the relative peace and stability we do.

The difference with the US in Iraq was the US was after oil/regional influence, Russia is after people. By some accounts a million people shipped out of Ukraine into Russia so far.
Old 12th September 2022, 17:31     #288
DrTiTus
HENCE WHY FOREVER ALONE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightspeed
Russia is after people.
What makes you say that? I'm not saying you're wrong, I just haven't heard this take. I would have thought that Ukraine was a strategic country to have control of, as well as being a source of resources. Add to that the NATO situation, and I would have thought that it's primarily a territorial conflict - with obvious US involvement - and it's Russia pushing back against a presently weak America, to "take back"/gain control of something valuable.

The people angle is new to me.
Old 12th September 2022, 17:36     #289
Lightspeed

Laugh

Old 12th September 2022, 17:51     #290
Ajax
Architeuthis

IMO one of the original main Russian objectives was to establish a land bridge from the Donbas through Kherson and Odessa, and connecting with the Russian presence in Transnistria. The Russians could then have made a move on Moldova and significantly expanded their borders. This plan is pretty much in the toilet now and they’d be happy to hold on to their pre-invasion territory in the Donbas.
Old 12th September 2022, 18:07     #291
Ajax
Architeuthis

An armoured thunder run to capture Kiev and decapitate the regime was also something of a risky stretch goal (and of course turned into a disaster without air supremacy).
Old 16th September 2022, 14:42     #292
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Assuming Ukraine avoids defeat and liquidation, you just know this is going to happen more:

Ukraine finds a mass grave in recaptured city of Izium

https://www.smh.com.au/world/europe/...16-p5bijm.html
Old 17th September 2022, 01:44     #293
DrTiTus
HENCE WHY FOREVER ALONE

The Ukrainians are getting strange test messages to their phones in the middle of a real war.

I don't know what it means, but it doesn't make much sense.

It's been going on for months, but now they TEST messages?
Old 20th September 2022, 22:41     #294
Nich

boop

check out this equipment list (US only, excludes Europe, UK,AUS weapons):
https://raheemkassam.substack.com/p/...-of-what-biden
Only 30% approx will actually be deployed to ukranian soldiers (the rest goes on black market or vanishes). And if it is artillery it is out gunned 10:1 and out ranged. get destroyed in quick order.

Last edited by Nich : 20th September 2022 at 22:45.
Old 20th September 2022, 22:55     #295
Nich

now, replacement of sent weapons, in Europe, UK once they send weapons, they can't replace them
https://www.financialexpress.com/ind...ahead/2666608/

Europe is fast becoming de-industrialised, starved, and economically crippled because of an autistic schoolkid's ideas on energy. Replacement rate is only via US (boston dynamics, raytheon, boeing et al), and they only buy because US via NATO says buy or else you love Putin.

US has sent more Javelins in 6 months than it can produce in a year. Even US cant keep up. And where do they go? no one knows, no one cares.

Europe Population could give two shits about the propaganda from Ukraine / US when they have no firewood, no food, no power. European nations will hesitate to back NATO pressure into proxy war with Russia if average Sven and Isolda don't want to hear it.

Last edited by Nich : 20th September 2022 at 22:58.
Old 20th September 2022, 23:02     #296
Nich

Israel benefitted more from liberated Iraqi oil than US did. Back from the brink after dotcom almost bankrupted the nation. Same played out in Syria, Israel secured more oil fields. People will do crazy shit if you entrap and blackmail them with child sex. Like start wars they can't benefit from.
Old 20th September 2022, 23:18     #297
Nich

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ab
Assuming Ukraine avoids defeat and liquidation, you just know this is going to happen more:

Ukraine finds a mass grave in recaptured city of Izium

https://www.smh.com.au/world/europe/...16-p5bijm.html
cmon man, Reuters. really?

Remember, first casualty of war is the truth. Zelenski made sure of that.

And yes, so did Putin, and Biden, Xi, blah blah. These people have no interest in telling us how it really is. And us inventing or embelishing their lies suits them. The lie gets more meat on the bone and the otherside can chew on that.

The point is, the headline, the images, the video, and reuters, telegraph, AP all tell different stories. And interviews with locals (when they bother to hear their side) show that Russians were not mass murderers (like Azov cleansing operations *ahem*bucha*ahem*). Looks like a "burial site" more than a mass grave to me. Who would want Ukranian soldier's bodies stinking up your foxhole? not I bury that shit.

https://www.moonofalabama.org/2022/0...ews-items.html
Old 20th September 2022, 23:20     #298
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nich

Remember, first casualty of war is the truth.
Read my post
Old 20th September 2022, 23:26     #299
Nich

and finally. It looks like team Fuck US Hegemony has assembled.

https://sonar21.com/will-the-united-...-organization/

guess which hemisphere will have the best (only) Christmas light show this December?
Old 20th September 2022, 23:58     #300
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

China can hear the music slowing. It has 20, maybe 30 years, and then its population collapses.
Old 21st September 2022, 07:28     #301
blynk

Quote:

Remember, first casualty of war is the truth. Zelenski made sure of that.

And yes, so did Putin, and Biden, Xi, blah blah. These people have no interest in telling us how it really is. And us inventing or embelishing their lies suits them. The lie gets more meat on the bone and the otherside can chew on that.
[/url]
Ah the joys of information.
All these people are lying, but believe my links and posts.

(**not trying to say which maybe more truthful)
Old 21st September 2022, 13:10     #302
Ajax
Architeuthis

Quote:

US has sent more Javelins in 6 months than it can produce in a year. Even US cant keep up. And where do they go? no one knows, no one cares.
They go into Russian tanks and make them explode. There have been hundreds of filmed kills at this point.

Quote:
Looks like a "burial site" more than a mass grave to me.
Yeah, those soldiers must have tied their hands behinds their own backs, tortured themselves, then stacked each other into open pits. Makes sense.
Old 21st September 2022, 13:29     #303
Ajax
Architeuthis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ab
China can hear the music slowing. It has 20, maybe 30 years, and then its population collapses.
I'm not sure that I would frame it as a population collapse - more of a gradual return to a reasonably sustainable level. The rampant growth of the last several decades can't go on forever. Even if China's population halves by 2100 it still has over half a billion people.
Old 21st September 2022, 15:15     #304
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Dunno man, all their boomers will be dead by mid century and the consequences of the 1-child policy and female infanticide will kick that country right in the nuts. The birth rate is dropping by 2-point-something percent per year, and there literally aren't enough women to turn it around. I reckon the population will halve a lot sooner than the end of the century.
Old 21st September 2022, 15:51     #305
Ajax
Architeuthis

China has been taking censuses since ancient times, so we have a fairly good picture of their population state over time.

Old 21st September 2022, 16:39     #306
Lightspeed

How does that look compared to the rest of the world?

Lots of countries are struggling with population issues, including Russia. Age distributions are very problematic. NZ is not off the hook in that regard.

There's gotta be studies out there comparing various countries' population distribution and reproduction levels. I suspect there are a few themes that various states share.

Like NZ keeps its population growing through immigration. Japan doesn't like immigration. Who wants to move to Russia? Other countries keep their populations manageable in part through emigration.

I guess the funding for any studies is probably skewed towards political interests.
Old 21st September 2022, 16:40     #307
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

That's awesome but... the scale makes the graph kinda useless. We need to know what's happening to Chinese demographics in the past couple of decades, not millennia.

Check this:

China just doesn't have enough women of childbearing age having enough babies.
Old 21st September 2022, 16:54     #308
Ajax
Architeuthis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightspeed
How does that look compared to the rest of the world?
Generally speaking, developing economies experience rapid population growth, which levels off and begins to decline as they transition into developed economies.

Quote:

Lots of countries are struggling with population issues, including Russia. Age distributions are very problematic. NZ is not off the hook in that regard.
True, and I don't see population declines as a bad thing at all. For a start, less population means less pressure on the environment.
Old 21st September 2022, 17:03     #309
Ajax
Architeuthis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ab
China just doesn't have enough women of childbearing age having enough babies.
I can't recall where, but I read an interesting study a while ago that suggested an optimum, sustainable global population would be around 1 billion. If that's true, we have some way to go yet.
Old 21st September 2022, 17:05     #310
Lightspeed

A problem declining populations is you're left with awkward decisions on how to manage infrastructure. Maintaining the same infrastructure with less population means committing a greater proportion of resources to that infrastructure. The alternative isn't any better, figuring out what is mothballed, what is abandoned, what is demolished, it all comes with costs and complications.

And politics, if China's population halves, do they halve the number of positions of power too? Who keeps power, who doesn't? That's a problem, not unsolvable, but it has a cost.
Old 21st September 2022, 17:18     #311
Lightspeed

It sounds like there's something happening right now, not sure exactly what, but it's coming out from these referendums that are being held. Maybe Russia announcing full mobilisation to hold those regions? Whatever that might mean.
Old 21st September 2022, 17:45     #312
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

The thing is, China is a manufacturing economy that can't afford a declining birth rate AND zero immigration. A smaller workforce means fewer things getting made, fewer things getting sold, and thus less money to pay for the old people who are costing the country more and consuming less by the year. And looking after the old people is non-negotiable.

The CCP failing to deliver on a non-negotiable aspect of Chinese culture (immovable object) meet a declining workforce and declining consumption in a country that depends on manufacturing (irresistible force).
Old 21st September 2022, 19:16     #313
DrTiTus
HENCE WHY FOREVER ALONE

Partial mobilization announced for this special military operation.

Act II about to begin
Old 21st September 2022, 19:47     #314
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Putin's talking about annexing the four captured provinces. Presumably that would allow him to treat the Ukrainian counteroffensive as an invasion of Russia.

Quote:
Margarita Simonyan, the editor-in-chief of the state-owned broadcaster RT and a vocal lobbyist for the war, said: “Judging by what is happening and what is about to happen, this week marks either the threshold of our imminent victory or the threshold of a nuclear war. I can’t see any third option.”
neat.
Old 21st September 2022, 19:51     #315
Lightspeed

It's a bit mad really. There's no point justifying nuclear war. If you're a nuclear power and you've decided we're all fucked, then we're all fucked.
Old 21st September 2022, 19:52     #316
Ajax
Architeuthis

I’m guessing the Russian playbook will be something like this:

1. Conducting sham referenda in Luhansk and Donetsk to show their populations want to rejoin Russia, then declaring the territories to be Russian federal subjects

2. Declaration of war against Ukraine (as opposed to a limited special operation) in response to the purported Ukrainian invasion threat to the new ‘Russian’ territories

3. Announcing mobilisation and conscription to support the war (Russia’s conscripts cannot be deployed abroad unless the country is on a war footing).
Old 21st September 2022, 20:08     #317
Ajax
Architeuthis

These steps will help Russia justify the war to its own citizens, but they’re not likely to be of much military value. Russia’s conscripts are notoriously shit quality, poorly trained, and have terrible morale. On top of this, Russia has lost offensive momentum and is running out of tanks, aircraft and artillery with no manufacturing capacity to replace them. Their munitions stocks are running so low that they’re trying to buy replacements from North Korea. In short, they’re pretty fucked.
Old 21st September 2022, 21:16     #318
xor

Putin must be up at night wondering who's going to knife him in the back.
Old 21st September 2022, 22:11     #319
_indigo1

USSU
Old 22nd September 2022, 00:47     #320
Nich

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajax
These steps will help Russia justify the war to its own citizens, but they’re not likely to be of much military value. Russia’s conscripts are notoriously shit quality, poorly trained, and have terrible morale. On top of this, Russia has lost offensive momentum and is running out of tanks, aircraft and artillery with no manufacturing capacity to replace them. Their munitions stocks are running so low that they’re trying to buy replacements from North Korea. In short, they’re pretty fucked.
You could write for the Guardian, Reuters, or CNN with this level of insight into troop morale, military supply chains, and citizen happiness. You have the full picture!