Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Go Back   NZGames.com Forums > General > Technology & Troubleshooting
User Name
Password

Old 25th January 2018, 16:57     #161
Nich

DataDash breaks down Tether:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kyQfGsYDcnw

I doubt Tether is responsible for 90% of the value in the whole crypto realm. It's a utility token to jump to the sidelines. I think the Tether issue is worrying, but rather blown out of proportion.

Of those who jump to the sidelines momentarily, many won't be able to buy back in lower than they "sold"? Which is to say it is less a force multiplier for inflating the value of cryptos, and more a mechanism for transferring money from noobs to the traders who correctly read the markets.

Many hodlers don't touch Tether or exchanges once they have bought their crypto. Are these people the majority, or the minority?

I think Tether should be shut down or implemented better, yes. My biggest complaint is that it encourages terrible behaviour. Noobs get rekt because of their weak hands, and veterans have a safe haven for high volatile periods.
Old 25th January 2018, 21:01     #162
kRAdENkO

Sold 90% of my LTC today.
Waiting for a good ETH buy opportunity to add to my relatively small holding. Might get some Ripple also and see where it ends up at the end of the year.
Old 26th January 2018, 11:20     #163
Cyberbob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightspeed
Right now it's about US$550B.

Wow, 550 billion dollars. That's amazing. You can do a lot with 900 billion dollars. That would be a lot of money for the average market, but i wonder how much of an impact 210 billion dollars really has on an economy.
Old 26th January 2018, 14:25     #164
Lightspeed

Laugh

crocos, halps.
Old 26th January 2018, 15:04     #165
crocos

Whu'chu talkinbout Willis? And no, I don't think even Bob knows what he's on about.

وكل يوم كنت تعيش في العبودية
Old 26th January 2018, 15:31     #166
Cyberbob

muh

Because the price is so volatile the market shifted dramatically multiple times while i was writing the post, yageddit?
Old 26th January 2018, 15:51     #167
crocos

Bob, that was worse than one of my jokes.

Old 27th January 2018, 23:15     #168
Lightspeed

It's actually pretty good.

I was thinking that line a dad gives his kid "$40? You want to borrow $20? What do you need $10 for?" Which obviously didn't fit.
Old 28th January 2018, 12:53     #169
Ajax
Architeuthis

Tether has, uh, 'dissolved' its relationship with its auditor. Lul.

https://www.coindesk.com/tether-conf...tor-dissolved/

However, they remain 'committed to the process' (of printing fake Tether).

Last edited by Ajax : 28th January 2018 at 12:54.
Old 30th January 2018, 14:15     #170
FireStorm
Holmium

Nice to see NEO hitting it's ATH vs sat today.
Old 30th January 2018, 16:27     #171
Macca@Work

Gamers are complaining that bit miners are driving up the price of graphics cards.Hard to see why but anyway..
Old 30th January 2018, 18:30     #172
crocos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macca@Work
Hard to see why
In NZ it's not impacting the price as much - here it's mainly just some lack of availability for certain cards. Over in the US and Canada especially, there's $500USD MSRP graphics cards that are being sold by the retailers at $800USD because of the demand: They can charge that price and people still pay.

Old 30th January 2018, 22:55     #173
Ajax
Architeuthis

Cryptopia has lost banking for NZDT. Which makes cashing out in NZ that much trickier.

https://www.cryptopia.co.nz/News
Old 30th January 2018, 22:57     #174
Lightspeed

o_O

What is this "cashing out" you speak of?
Old 30th January 2018, 23:08     #175
Ajax
Architeuthis

It is necessary in order to exchange one’s virtual tokens for most goods and services.
Old 31st January 2018, 13:07     #176
Know me.

You'd think that there would be significant funds, millions in the bank accounts to back NZDT tokens. Also significant funds containing exchange account holders funds, considering that there are a million plus users then those figures should be in the tens of millions (conservatively) and the bank is walking away?
Old 31st January 2018, 13:35     #177
Lightspeed

This is fantastic:

Proof of Weak Hands Coin

"The World's First Autonomous and Self-Sustaining Pyramid Scheme"
Old 31st January 2018, 17:40     #178
Ajax
Architeuthis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Know me.
You'd think that there would be significant funds, millions in the bank accounts to back NZDT tokens. Also significant funds containing exchange account holders funds, considering that there are a million plus users then those figures should be in the tens of millions (conservatively) and the bank is walking away?
A while ago Cryptopia said NZDT was backed by ~NZ$7.5 million in fiat. I have no reason to doubt that - although it seemed on the low side considering a single whale could clean them out.

Most likely their bank simply got the jitters due to the shady nature of crypto and the very large sums transiting through the account.
Old 4th February 2018, 14:34     #179
kRAdENkO

So... anyone else trade the big dip recently? Made a little bit, nothing amazing.
Old 4th February 2018, 14:53     #180
Lightspeed

It's always a good time to buy Ethereum, but now's especially good.
Old 4th February 2018, 18:17     #181
kRAdENkO

LTC is pumping a bit on litepay being activated shortly. Its a bit odd as it was announced some time ago. Glad I kept hold of some.
Old 5th February 2018, 10:09     #182
Nich

Quote:
Originally Posted by kRAdENkO
So... anyone else trade the big dip recently? Made a little bit, nothing amazing.
I sold a portion at the utmost perfect peak (AUD $2,000) to pay my tax. A week later it was $1,200 and I seriously considered buying the dip... The lower it gets, the more I want to buy back in.

I have followed Crypto Sniper since June last year. He has been spot on for the July and September sell offs. I didnt trade based on his advise, but his analysis is very good. He was saying we should expect Bitcoin to trade in $7,000's USD back when it was around $11,000. So far all true and there has been a lot of "bed wetting" as he calls it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WFsPpRevyag

But sometimes you just have to look within: when you're feeling super optimistic about your investment it's a peak, when you're feeling super pessimistic it's probably the end of the capitulation.
Old 5th February 2018, 17:10     #183
kRAdENkO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nich
I sold a portion at the utmost perfect peak (AUD $2,000) to pay my tax. A week later it was $1,200 and I seriously considered buying the dip... The lower it gets, the more I want to buy back in.

I have followed Crypto Sniper since June last year. He has been spot on for the July and September sell offs. I didnt trade based on his advise, but his analysis is very good. He was saying we should expect Bitcoin to trade in $7,000's USD back when it was around $11,000. So far all true and there has been a lot of "bed wetting" as he calls it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WFsPpRevyag

But sometimes you just have to look within: when you're feeling super optimistic about your investment it's a peak, when you're feeling super pessimistic it's probably the end of the capitulation.
Cheers will check it out. The engineer in me wants to like TA, but if I think about it objectively I can't see how it works.

I do think it can do the following though:
- Predict the effect emotion has on investments in the short term.
- Convince enough people that TA works, so it becomes self fulfilling as long as everyone agrees on the same rule set.

Given recent studies have shown that major crypto swings are triggered by news primarily, any positions setup by even the most ideal TA will eventually fail spectacularly. I guess it just has to work 51% of the time or greater though

Or people just get lucky and happen to avoid some of the big swings.

Interested to hear any success people have been having in the long term though.

Anecdotally I've seen all sorts of TA in BTC chat rooms. Some people def seem to get it spot on, but others not so much. I'm not sure if its because some people are better at it, or if its that 50% of people are right 50% of the time.
Old 6th February 2018, 18:06     #184
Nich

Now I guess we are about to find out how Bitcoin / Ethereum performs during a stock market crash. Yikes. Long-term trend not confirmed yet, but it looks a bit scary.
Old 6th February 2018, 18:32     #185
Ajax
Architeuthis

I managed to make a clean exit a few weeks before the crash, now watching for a sufficiently tasty re-entry point.
Old 6th February 2018, 20:09     #186
kRAdENkO

This has gone lower than I expected. Was thinking 7.8k would be the floor. Apparently not :P
Old 22nd February 2018, 08:10     #187
crocos

Tony Alexander: Not a fan of the block-chain, but he has some reasonable (and some slightly out there) reasons for it.
http://tonyalexander.co.nz/wp-conten...ruary-2018.pdf

Old 22nd February 2018, 11:47     #188
Juju
get to da choppa

Quote:
Originally Posted by crocos
Tony Alexander: Not a fan of the block-chain, but he has some reasonable (and some slightly out there) reasons for it.
http://tonyalexander.co.nz/wp-conten...ruary-2018.pdf
No, no he doesn't. He is showing that he is a typical fat cat banker who has a very rudimentary understanding of the crypto eco system.

Everything he said about Bitcoin is right. Pretty much ALL of cryptocurrency development is going on other coins - fewer of which require PoW. The big one, Ethereum, does require PoW at the moment, but is moving towards PoS, which is a zero electricity cost game.

The guy's an idiot with his head in the sand. Good riddance.
Old 22nd February 2018, 12:13     #189
DrTiTus
HENCE WHY FOREVER ALONE

Bitcoin uses more energy (worldwide) than Portugal:

Portugal uses 50 billion kWh.
However, the USA (the primary opponent to alternative currency for obvious reasons) uses 3890 billion kWh. Not sure I see the problem here.
Old 28th February 2018, 19:28     #190
Nich

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juju
No, no he doesn't. He is showing that he is a typical fat cat banker who has a very rudimentary understanding of the crypto eco system.

I think the correct term is Financial Terrorist
Old 7th March 2018, 18:08     #191
Lightspeed

This is quite useful for an at-a-glance picture of the crypto landscape. You can see the significance of Tether's daily trade volume as pointed out by Ajax.

Old 24th April 2018, 15:41     #192
Lightspeed

Looks like the dip is over. I wonder if it will follow a similar pattern as July last year.
Old 24th April 2018, 21:11     #193
Ajax
Architeuthis

Crypto: a marketplace completely manipulated by bad actors, with a good deal of the profits going to undesirables such as organised crime syndicates and rogue states. Stay safe out there.
Old 24th April 2018, 21:25     #194
Lightspeed

Yeah, I think that makes it a legitimate currency, lol.
Old 24th April 2018, 22:59     #195
Nich

haha, yep. Its use by criminals means it passes the test of fungibility.
Old 1st May 2018, 13:09     #196
Nich

The Zeitgeist Movement Podcast on blockchain
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YpMRGBCXARU

Also, anyone watching Silicon Valley? Pied Piper is basically inventing Ethereum
Old 1st May 2018, 18:38     #197
Ajax
Architeuthis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nich
Pied Piper is basically inventing Ethereum
I think the PP vision is supposed to be bigger than just a platform for shitcoins.
Old 1st May 2018, 19:05     #198
Lightspeed

o_O

Is that what you imagine Ethereum to be?
Old 1st May 2018, 22:02     #199
Nich

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajax
I think the PP vision is supposed to be bigger than just a platform for shitcoins.
At least wait for the season finale to air. Next week's episode they host an ICO... so there's time yet for it to turn into a crowdfunding fraud magnet!
Old 7th May 2018, 15:35     #200
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Meanwhile in Russia

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/business/...ectid=12046719