Go Back   NZGames.com Forums > General > Open Discussion
User Name
Password

Old 11th August 2010, 14:40     #24001
Warrick
Awesome Ring Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr selfdestruct
All those times you got beaten up in the ghetto and you've never had a broken bone?
I've only been bashed once and that was Feb 09, may've been 08.

6 dudes jumped me as I left a party, two bottles were smashed on my head and I was king hit from behind with a cricket bat on the head which I think KO'd me. The meanest scar.

Outside of that I've been quite lucky considering some of the predicaments I've found myself in.
Old 11th August 2010, 14:43     #24002
Reformed_Quint

^^ way more hardcore than my shit
Old 11th August 2010, 15:02     #24003
Warrick
Awesome Ring Master

I didn't go out for a long time after that. Life changing shit.
Old 11th August 2010, 15:10     #24004
Reformed_Quint

Getting bottled sucks.
Old 11th August 2010, 15:11     #24005
Warrick
Awesome Ring Master

First time something other than my lip/mouth bled from fight. Usually when I'm covered in blood like that it's not my blood, heh.
Old 11th August 2010, 15:23     #24006
Reformed_Quint

Ginger rage
Old 11th August 2010, 15:32     #24007
Warrick
Awesome Ring Master

too old for that shit. i'm almost 30!
Old 11th August 2010, 15:37     #24008
Fx.

Date of Birth:
March 29, 1984

._.

WE"RE NOT ALMOST 30 YET D:
Old 11th August 2010, 15:48     #24009
Reformed_Quint

Fark off you old carnt!
Old 11th August 2010, 16:44     #24010
LordP

I don't watch broadcast TV anymore, but this shit is pathetic.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/ar...ectid=10665310

TVNZ put Band of Brothers on at 8:30pm with an Adults Only warning, and some fuckwit complained to Fair Go that there might have been children around to see it, and it should have been edited.

Say what?

Has parental responsibility completely gone out the window?
Old 11th August 2010, 16:49     #24011
Fx.

years ago
bring back goodnight kiwi i guess
Old 11th August 2010, 16:51     #24012
StN
I have detailed files

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordP
TVNZ put Band of Brothers on at 8:30pm with an Adults Only warning, and some fuckwit complained to Fair Go ...
Ahh - you had me going there for a while - why would someone complain to Fair Go about an issue that should involve the BSA...
Old 11th August 2010, 17:03     #24013
LordP

heh, gears too ground, didn't end up reading the article properly... the Fair Go bit was different.
Old 11th August 2010, 17:08     #24014
Whiplash
Bobo Fettish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowboy
Lego that isn't really Lego anymore. Gone are the days of just standard sized bricks that you could make anything you could imagine.

Now they're just models with specially formed pieces. Sure they look cooler but you're limited to that design.

Sadly the next generation doesn't have the same creative freedom.
You must have a lack of imagination then. I know an 8 year old who makes all sorts of Lego monsters/castles/etc out of his combined bits from various Lego themes.
Old 11th August 2010, 17:09     #24015
CCS
Stunt Pants

A BLOODY EIGHT YEAR OLD!
Old 11th August 2010, 17:18     #24016
StN
I have detailed files

I think Dawkins said it well.
Old 11th August 2010, 17:20     #24017
Cowboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiplash
You must have a lack of imagination then. I know an 8 year old who makes all sorts of Lego monsters/castles/etc out of his combined bits from various Lego themes.
Not actually into it myself but it still grinds my gears. I guess if you have enough of the sets you can combine them. With the price of the sets it'll certainly be costly.

Still, doesn't seem quite as customisable as ye old bricks.
Old 11th August 2010, 17:36     #24018
Saladin
Nothing to See Here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiplash
My 5yr old Nephew is the same.. christmas/birthday morning he makes you sit there and put it all together and then as soon as it's done he pulls it apart and is off making his own construction.

Rather annoying, since these modern sets with all the moving parts take ages to put together properly.
Old 11th August 2010, 18:19     #24019
ChaosWulf
Don't worry, be harpy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowboy
Not actually into it myself but it still grinds my gears. I guess if you have enough of the sets you can combine them. With the price of the sets it'll certainly be costly.

Still, doesn't seem quite as customisable as ye old bricks.
Yeah, I'm with you there.
Lego used to be about making amazing stuff using the same restrictions that everyone else had. Now it's more that those with the most money can afford the coolest bits and therefore make better stuff. You don't need the imagination, as it's all spelled out for you in How-To diagrams.
Sign of the bloody times. Kids these days. Rassumfrassum.
Old 11th August 2010, 18:26     #24020
Stalk3r

needs more meccano
Old 11th August 2010, 19:14     #24021
Luse

When I was a kid I really wanted this.

Old 11th August 2010, 19:27     #24022
Trigger
Laserman

I had that!
it was fucking awesome
Old 11th August 2010, 20:05     #24023
verve_rat

As did I! In fact, I still have all the bits, just might take a while to sort them from the rest.

Sucks to be Luse.
Old 11th August 2010, 20:13     #24024
chiQ
Frag-muff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stalk3r
needs more meccano
They've arsed that up too, if James May's Toy series was anything to go by.
Old 11th August 2010, 20:19     #24025
verve_rat

And don't tell me that the normal blocks are hard to find. Straight from The Warehouse's shelves to my bathroom (it wont fit standing up so I had to do something):

Old 11th August 2010, 20:26     #24026
chiQ
Frag-muff

Quote:
Originally Posted by verve_rat
it wont fit standing up so I had to do something
Awesome. QotM.
Old 11th August 2010, 20:54     #24027
Luse

Old 11th August 2010, 20:58     #24028
Lightspeed

Thumbs up

Hahah, awesome.
Old 11th August 2010, 21:01     #24029
xor

My older brother got the lego and I had his chewed up leftovers :/

At least I got the ruggish good looks of a young Patrick Swayze
Old 11th August 2010, 21:06     #24030
chiQ
Frag-muff

I got my grandfather's Meccano, after my father and his brother had had it in the meantime. It was cool back in the day - really good clockwork motors and brightly enamelled pieces in every shape and size. I spent hours making machines as a child.

I went to Legoland as a child but didn't have a lot of Lego bricks. I didn't really need it with a gigantic Meccano set in the house.
Old 11th August 2010, 21:23     #24031
Pepsi
Konnichiwa, bitches

I have lots of old school Meccano and Lego stored at my mums place.. might have to go and check them out next time I'm there
Old 11th August 2010, 22:04     #24032
madmaxii

What GMG's.

Rush Munro's Passionfruit Icecream.

I'm already overweight (only a little bit) but can't stop eating the stuff - it's soooooo nice.
Old 11th August 2010, 22:53     #24033
Stalk3r

Pepsi, Sell me your meccano, its so damn hard to find classic stuff i miss it so much
Old 11th August 2010, 23:01     #24034
fidgit
Always itchy

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordP
I don't watch broadcast TV anymore, but this shit is pathetic.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/ar...ectid=10665310

TVNZ put Band of Brothers on at 8:30pm with an Adults Only warning, and some fuckwit complained to Fair Go that there might have been children around to see it, and it should have been edited.

Say what?

Has parental responsibility completely gone out the window?
I'm waiting for TVNZ to battle back and ask them when, exactly, it is acceptable to have Adult TV on, since apparently the 8:30pm slot they have previously advised is acceptable is only acceptable if you don't actually play any adult content. Honest gosh darn bullshit - if you've got kids floating around after 8:30, and you don't want them to see a German woman straddling her American lover, turn off the sodding TV.

Also I want to know if the guy complaining has kids. I'm pretty certain he doesn't.
Old 11th August 2010, 23:11     #24035
Luse

I tore a calf muscle 8 weeks ago and my Physio says that playing sport is the best rehab at this point but to "stretch well before games". I'm doing that, warming up properly and it's still hobbling me after around 10 minutes.

Really quite frustrating. Anyone have any suggestions / had something similar?

Edit: The TVNZ thing, yeah that's struck me as weird getting fined for playing adult content during the adult content timeslot.
Old 11th August 2010, 23:20     #24036
DrTiTus
HENCE WHY FOREVER ALONE

I bought a box of Dr Pepper. Don't know why - I had heard about it, but never tasted it. I thought I'd give it a go, being a Mountain Dew fan.

Yuck, it's almond essence in a can.

Being sucked into a "bargain purchase" of carbonated xmas cake icing GMG.
Old 11th August 2010, 23:30     #24037
MadMax
Stuff

i hate tv in general. 60 minutes, closeup and the likes will make something out of nothing and cream it up above and beyond. they'll interview a couple of people that have an opinion or otherwise seem to prove their case when it's not always the way things work.

kiwi doctors working in aussie for example. it's not as sweet as they made it out to be.
Old 11th August 2010, 23:35     #24038
fidgit
Always itchy

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrTiTus
I bought a box of Dr Pepper. Don't know why - I had heard about it, but never tasted it. I thought I'd give it a go, being a Mountain Dew fan.

Yuck, it's almond essence in a can.

Being sucked into a "bargain purchase" of carbonated xmas cake icing GMG.
dude
I love that stuff. Almost bought a box at City NW tonight (presumably where you got your box).

I'd offer to buy the rest off you but I'm a social nervous shut in who's afraid of people and the outdoors...

-edit-
And yeah, it's very much a love or hate thing.

Last edited by fidgit : 11th August 2010 at 23:36.
Old 11th August 2010, 23:39     #24039
fidgit
Always itchy

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMax
i hate tv in general. 60 minutes, closeup and the likes will make something out of nothing and cream it up above and beyond. they'll interview a couple of people that have an opinion or otherwise seem to prove their case when it's not always the way things work.

kiwi doctors working in aussie for example. it's not as sweet as they made it out to be.
I like the massive story our collective media is making out of the dead soldier.

I don't want to detract from the people personally affected, but that's where this should have ended.

He's not a war hero, he's a kid who joined the army, got sent to a warzone and got killed. Kind of what happens to soldiers in warzones.

If we ever actually went to war again, we'd be crippled from the mass outpourings of grief and State Funerals we'd need to organise every time someone got shot.
Old 11th August 2010, 23:48     #24040

Quote:
Originally Posted by fidgit
I like the massive story our collective media is making out of the dead soldier.

I don't want to detract from the people personally affected, but that's where this should have ended.

He's not a war hero, he's a kid who joined the army, got sent to a warzone and got killed. Kind of what happens to soldiers in warzones.

If we ever actually went to war again, we'd be crippled from the mass outpourings of grief and State Funerals we'd need to organise every time someone got shot.