Go Back   NZGames.com Forums > General > Open Discussion
User Name
Password

Old 23rd January 2012, 17:38     #1921
Ajax
Architeuthis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rince
If one was to acquire the Planet of the Apes Anthology (1968-2011), should one watch them in the order they came out, or should one pick and choose which movies to watch, and if so, which ones?
Some are quite good, others are tedious and skippable. I'd watch these ones, in this order:

1. Planet of the Apes (1968)
2. Escape from the Planet of the Apes (1971)
3. Rise of the Planet of the Apes (2011)

Rise is chronologically the first, but the old ones will look like shit by comparison if you watch Rise first.

Give all the other '70s ones a miss, they are well below par. The 2001 Tim Burton remake is an oddity with a flawed plot that doesn't compare to the original in quality. Some enjoy it but personally I'd skip.
Old 23rd January 2012, 17:46     #1922
GM

Just for whiplash: the planet is actually Earth!
Old 24th January 2012, 09:21     #1923
Rince
SLUTS!!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GM
Just for whiplash: the planet is actually Earth!
spoiler tags!!!!

actually - cheers Ajax...
Old 24th January 2012, 10:43     #1924
Ajax
Architeuthis

Rincey you could also just watch the Simpsons musical and save yourself 8 hours or so..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4g9E0...eature=related
Old 24th January 2012, 23:05     #1925
fidgit
Always itchy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiplash
"Recommend A Movie thread", not "Spoil a movie thread".
As is pointed out, the movie starts with a requiem - you know 6 minutes in the world is going to end, it's not the point of the movie. In fact you're *meant* to know, as it adds to the dread, since you're "in on it".

-edit- just realized I hadn't actually said what happens in the end in my other posts. Lols.

Last edited by fidgit : 24th January 2012 at 23:07.
Old 24th January 2012, 23:06     #1926
fidgit
Always itchy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ab
yeah, just like in Antichrist.
... Touché
Old 24th January 2012, 23:49     #1927
dylan
Huh?

Anyone else seen The Ides of March?

Very political (exclusively political, really) but one fucking heck of a cast, Paul Giamatti, Ryan Gosling, George Clooney, Philip Seymour Hoffman, Evan Rachel Wood.

Of course it's very VERY US centric but the tale behind it all is somewhat universal.

Not an "amazing" movie, but a pretty well told tale I thought, if you don't mind the lack of action scenes.

n.b. I would fuck Ryan Gosling

edit: and Marisa Tomei.

edit edit: I meant, Marisa Tomei is in the movie. Although I would fuck her too.

Last edited by dylan : 24th January 2012 at 23:53.
Old 30th January 2012, 17:55     #1928
wazza
*flex*

I recommend War Horse

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1568911/
Old 30th January 2012, 18:13     #1929
chiQ
Frag-muff

Is it Lassie the horse?
Old 30th January 2012, 18:49     #1930
_Incubus_

Descendants...yet again another 'critically acclaimed' movie that put me to sleep.
Old 30th January 2012, 19:03     #1931
wazza
*flex*

Girlfriend and I watched Descendants the other night. Seriously one of the best movies I've watched in a long time. Awesomely funny, perfect for a date.

edit: the review via IMDb paints it pretty well too
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1033575/
Quote:
User Reviews

The rare fuse of amazing direction and brilliant performances
16 November 2011 | by DonFishies (Canada) – See all my reviews
It has been quite some time since the Toronto International Film Festival, but I still have trouble coming up with something negative to say about The Descendants. It was a film I was immensely excited to see, and one that I think I just managed to squeak into on the second last day of the festival. I tried to not overhype myself, but with George Clooney teaming up with Alexander Payne, a filmmaker whose last film was made almost a decade ago, I could barely contain myself.

Matt King (Clooney) just found out that his wife is in a coma in the hospital. Matt has always been one to put things off, and has never really found time for his kids. But in this time of need, he finds that he is struggling to identify with older daughter Alexandra (Shailene Woodley) and younger daughter Scottie (Amara Miller). When he learns of a stunning secret about his wife, it thrusts him into an adventure alongside his daughters to find out the truth, while also finding himself.

From beginning to end, Payne has crafted an endearing film that is hilarious and devastating, often in the same sequence. This is a more calculated family-related effort than I originally thought it would be (with a bit too much emphasis placed on the extended family and land owning subplot), but it is the driving force of everything that happens on-screen. He never overindulges, and never gets too far ahead of himself. He lets the drama play out just as much as he does the comedy, and always keeps the film moving at a borderline ridiculous pace. This may be an indie, but it speaks more to the mainstream than Sideways ever even tried to. It is a truly spectacular work, and one that proves the worth of a talent that has been gone for far too long.

While he already solidified his leading man status years ago, Clooney quite simply knocks this one out of the park. It is not the typical role we are accustomed to seeing him in, and I think that is what sells it the most. This is a very mature role for Clooney, away from the playboys, the lotharios and the screwballs. He is out of his element, much like the character he is playing, thrust into a situation he never expected in a very adult way. He plays Matt in a very nuanced way, always hovering along the fine line of being a struggling parent and having a full blown emotional breakdown. Clooney has continually proved that he is willing to reinvent himself, and his work here is no different. From the moment he steps on-screen, you are simply enamoured by his presence. We can see the brief twinkle in his eye that suggests he is still the Clooney we all know and adore, but his hardened exterior suggests he is trying to camouflage that fact. I said years ago that Up in the Air was his strongest work. But his work here makes it look positively amateur in comparison.

For all of Clooney's brilliance, it is surprising to note that Woodley almost steals the movie entirely away from him. While she has had quite a lot of experience on television, this is her first real film role and is an immeasurable breakout. The trailer suggests she is a bit of a wild child, but seeing the heartbreak and pain in her face after she finds out what has happened to her mother is enough to make you want to weep uncontrollably. Lucky for her, she gets more than one scene to prove her emotional chops, and she nails each and every one. She holds her own against Clooney, and has just the right amount of charisma and angst to make her character above and beyond believable. Her struggle to find her place and to help her father on this adventure is the emotional crux of the film, and the real driving spirit. She may be extremely younger than Clooney is, but she is an old soul. Their relationship and chemistry is amazing, and should she have been acting against a less capable actor, I doubt she would be anywhere near as powerful as she is.

The supporting cast, made up of Beau Bridges, Judy Greer, Nick Krause, Robert Forster and an almost unrecognizable Matthew Lilliard, are all excellent in their small roles. All of them get some really memorable moments to shine, and help to make Clooney and Woodley's performances even greater. Special mention needs to go to both Patricia Hastie, who is confined to a hospital bed for all but about thirty seconds of her screen-time as Matt's wife Elizabeth, and newcomer Miller as Scottie. She is naive and innocent throughout, never once coming off as that annoying kid you try to forget exists. She has a lot of fun in the role, and strikes a real emotional chord at just the right moments. I can only hope directors continue to use her in the future for roles that are just as good, if not better.

It may have taken me practically two months to write about it, but I still find myself at a loss for words about The Descendants. It is finally rolling out into theatres now, and I cannot wait to see the film again. The cast is amazing, with Clooney coming out swinging. Payne may have taken his time finding a follow-up for Sideways, but what he has returned with is nothing short of amazing. Run, drive, fly – whatever you have to do, just make sure you do not miss it.

9/10.

Last edited by wazza : 30th January 2012 at 19:08.
Old 30th January 2012, 19:27     #1932
IoriDyson

cant stand clooney in anything. hes a shit actor with no range. how does he keep getting work?
Old 30th January 2012, 19:33     #1933
wazza
*flex*

He was crying in this movie! I even commented "Clooney's pushing his range!"

I don't care for him much tbh, but the movie had awesome reviews. The GF didn't really want to see it either but apart from Bridesmaids, I've never seen her lol more ;p

It's hilarious! Honest!
Old 30th January 2012, 19:38     #1934
fixed_truth

I found the The Descendants extremely over rated but worth a watch. The scene where Matt calls Sid a retard is LOL.
Old 31st January 2012, 11:33     #1935
Pepsi
Konnichiwa, bitches

The Flowers of War: Rather intense, kept me enthralled the whole time.
The Help: I wasn't initially that interested in seeing it, but it was way better than I expected. Some lol moments and a little tear jerking at times.

Both excellent movies, would recommend
Old 31st January 2012, 12:18     #1936
Furry Crew

BTW...don't know if anyone has mentioned it yet, but the new Sione's movie is worth a watch.

Much hilarity specially if you're from Auckland.

Old 31st January 2012, 16:04     #1937
blur^

watched 'In Time' last night 1080p eyecandy
mmm olivia wilde

was actually not to bad, interesting concept
would totally suck to coma after a big night and wake up and someone had jacked your time, oh shi 5mins till your dead
Old 31st January 2012, 16:32     #1938
Caesar

Quote:
Originally Posted by blur^
watched 'In Time' last night 1080p eyecandy
mmm olivia wilde
was actually not to bad, interesting concept
would totally suck to coma after a big night and wake up and someone had jacked your time, oh shi 5mins till your dead
I saw that on Satday night and thought it was below average. Fucken glad I didn't pay to see it the movies.
Concept was interesting yeah, but the acting seemed off and the story wasn't the best either.
Also I was extremely appalled at the lack of security around the ability to transfer time/your life by almost a mere handshake? WTF.
Way to easy to get killed.
Old 31st January 2012, 16:48     #1939
Cowboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiplash
"Recommend A Movie thread", not "Spoil a movie thread".
Old 31st January 2012, 16:52     #1940
GM

You learn that bit of information in the first minute of the movie. I thought Justin Timberlake did a great job, my expectations were very low however so that may have factored into it. Rating 3.5 out of 5.

Edit, didn't read blur's post, that's a giveaway - spoiler tags should have been used imo.

Last edited by GM : 31st January 2012 at 16:54.
Old 31st January 2012, 16:55     #1941
Ajax
Architeuthis

Quote:
Originally Posted by fixed_truth
I found the The Descendants extremely over rated but worth a watch. The scene where Matt calls Sid a retard is LOL.
That movie didn't do much for me at all. Too many depressing hospital scenes.
Old 1st February 2012, 00:17     #1942
xpandnz

Just came back from The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo. 3/10.
The original was far superior in that it did not drag its feet. The US version was boring, slow and far too talky. It's sad really. Fincher is a great director but this was utter shit. The only thing that saved it was the music which was reasonable.

Save yourself the disappointment, watch the original film.
Old 4th February 2012, 00:41     #1943
fidgit
Always itchy

Quote:
Originally Posted by xpandnz
Just came back from The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo. 3/10.
The original was far superior in that it did not drag its feet. The US version was boring, slow and far too talky. It's sad really. Fincher is a great director but this was utter shit. The only thing that saved it was the music which was reasonable.

Save yourself the disappointment, watch the original film.
Pfft, I don't want to have to read during my rape scenes thank you very much. (or do I not need to spoiler those, since everyone knows there's some rape in this story...?)

Seriously though, after watching the original, it struck me how similar the original Blomkvist is to Daniel Craig. Scenes were he looked just like James Bond, I can see why they went with him in the remake. But Noomi Rapace was so good as Lisbeth I can't imagine anyone else playing that role. I still want to see the American take, but mostly to see what they did differently.

Last edited by fidgit : 4th February 2012 at 00:43.
Old 4th February 2012, 07:36     #1944
xpandnz

The ending was more in line with the book but they changed around some of the story. Let me know what you think when you see it.
Old 4th February 2012, 11:19     #1945
dylan
Huh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by fidgit
Pfft, I don't want to have to read during my rape scenes thank you very much. (or do I not need to spoiler those, since everyone knows there's some rape in this story...?)
Considering the rating for the movie says "WARNING: CONTAINS VIOLENCE AND RAPE SCENES", probably not
Old 7th February 2012, 07:46     #1946
Kryten

Watched Drive over the weekend and loved every minute of it. Very much recommended.
Old 7th February 2012, 09:18     #1947
xpandnz

Yeah, beautifully shot and acted. He used subtlety so well in this film. Gosling is becoming quite the actor. Have you seen 'Crazy Stupid Love'?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dylan
Considering the rating for the movie says "WARNING: CONTAINS VIOLENCE AND RAPE SCENES", probably not
Yeah, the nzherald article about the movies mentioned that Fincher had really make that scene dark. So I knew that it was in there.

Last edited by xpandnz : 7th February 2012 at 09:22.
Old 7th February 2012, 09:32     #1948
[BT]Monza

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kryten
Watched Drive over the weekend and loved every minute of it. Very much recommended.
Couldn't agree more.
Old 7th February 2012, 17:27     #1949
_Incubus_

Taking the nephews to The Phantom Menace in 3D on the weekend...It's like looking at a car accident...I just cant help myself but look!
Old 7th February 2012, 17:38     #1950
StN
I have detailed files

Yeah - I have to take my boy along with the chap from across the road. The woman next door thinks he's strange because he and his 3 year old were having a massive lightsabre fight in the dark the other week (with FX sabres, not just run-of-the-mill plastic ones). The wife mentioned that she didn't think it was strange, and that the boy and I wandered down with our Fett/Vader masks on to join in...
Old 7th February 2012, 17:40     #1951
TnT

Quote:
Originally Posted by IoriDyson
cant stand clooney in anything. hes a shit actor with no range. how does he keep getting work?
I thought he was pretty damn good in 'O Brother Where Art Thou'...
Old 7th February 2012, 18:09     #1952
_Incubus_

Quote:
Originally Posted by StN
Yeah - I have to take my boy along with the chap from across the road. The woman next door thinks he's strange because he and his 3 year old were having a massive lightsabre fight in the dark the other week (with FX sabres, not just run-of-the-mill plastic ones). The wife mentioned that she didn't think it was strange, and that the boy and I wandered down with our Fett/Vader masks on to join in...
/me cant wait till number #1 son is born in 8 weeks!
Old 7th February 2012, 18:52     #1953
StN
I have detailed files

Heh - I remember when he was about 2 1/2, and he'd been hammering ANH on the VHS. I was outside shifting firewood or something and he comes hooning out really excited. He'd been looking through the drawers in his room and found something like this:

He was convinced it was his light sabre that had been put in storage for when he was old enough... and wouldn't follow old Ben on some crusade.

He was all "WTF is a birth certificate..?" when I explained it to him.
Old 7th February 2012, 18:55     #1954
Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajax
The final few minutes of Melancholia were amazing.
What ever you do, don't listen to this douche. Worst bs arthouse shit since Magnolia. Fuck, their titles even sound the same. Give me my 2 hours of my life back plz. Basically the whole plot of the story could've been done in about 15 minutes, but somehow they manage to drag it out for like 2 hours and ten minutes. 1/5.
Old 7th February 2012, 19:12     #1955
Ajax
Architeuthis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nothing
Give me my 2 hours of my life back plz.
Don't worry bro, I'm sure there'll be a new Transformers movie out soon.
Old 7th February 2012, 20:10     #1956
cryocore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nothing
What ever you do, don't listen to this douche. Worst bs arthouse shit since Magnolia. Fuck, their titles even sound the same. Give me my 2 hours of my life back plz. Basically the whole plot of the story could've been done in about 15 minutes, but somehow they manage to drag it out for like 2 hours and ten minutes. 1/5.
Ignore him, obvious intellectual deficient unable to deal with a film without gunfights and Jerry B 'spolsiongasms.
Movies was awesome just like almost everything from Lars von Trier.

and Magnolia is an arthouse film?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!? Were you born that dim, or did you get smashed around the head as a child?

Last edited by cryocore : 7th February 2012 at 20:12.
Old 7th February 2012, 20:57     #1957
TnT

Awesome, movie snob fight.
Old 7th February 2012, 21:56     #1958
Nothing

Pffft.
Old 9th February 2012, 01:15     #1959
fidgit
Always itchy

Melancholia wasn't about the story though. It was about Mary-Jane going/staying insane. And her sister being one of those "I read it on a website so it's true" people.

In summary: you liked Waking Life and that has less story than Melancholia.
Old 9th February 2012, 01:23     #1960
MrTTTT

Melancholia had kirsten dunst's tits in it. so if you don't like that movie then you are gay.