NZGames.com Forums
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Go Back   NZGames.com Forums > Games and Mods > Console Forum
User Name
Password

Old 10th February 2010, 14:06     #121
Gentl e

nm

Last edited by Gentl e : 10th February 2010 at 14:08.
Old 10th February 2010, 15:38     #122
mr selfdestruct
The Deliverator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fx.
using ps3mecdia center at home (got a ps3 for xmas woo) over wireless connection (shitty connection as i am in the basement)
get pretty constant DNLA errors (a few diff ones) have played with settings on the pc but im guessing this is probably due to the shit wireless being bad ?

(basically wondering if i just have to man up and buy a switch + cabling and bridge the network thru the computers wireless - a terrible solution but cabling to the router is not an option)
Why is cabling to the router not an option? Just get some Home Plugs for about $200 bro, SORTED!
Old 10th February 2010, 17:33     #123
Fx.

last time i used those type dealies i was unimpressed, hopefully improved a bit since then

(router is upstairs at the other end of the house and theres no room to run a cable - people who own the house that i live with dont want me making more holes )

on the same token tho a gigabit switch and some cabling would cost me like $50...
Old 10th February 2010, 17:34     #124
Gentl e

In other words he's stealing wifi from his neighbours
Old 10th February 2010, 17:46     #125
Pleb'a

I got over all of this after unreliably getting PS3 Media Server working via DLNA, and not doing 1080/720 via transcoding.

I'm setting up a media PC and 20m HDMI cables.
Old 10th February 2010, 18:15     #126
Fx.

thats bascially the stage im at pleb hah

XMBC looks like the businessss
Old 15th February 2010, 08:47     #127
mr selfdestruct
The Deliverator

Fx. Well I'm pretty impressed with my 200mbit home plugs, perfect and no cables.
Old 17th February 2010, 17:32     #128
NeON_RaZoR

mediatomb on ubuntu8.10 with custom ffmpeg scripts for transcoding .mov, .mkv & .dts

very quick transcoding. can even search with x20 speed on ps3.

very low memeory footprint. highly reccomended
Old 20th November 2010, 13:08     #129
Cyberbob

Hey, is Tversity still the best thing to use for PC media presenting to PS3?

That was the only package that I only really had any luck with back in NZ when I was using wireless.

Now, my PC and PS3 are on the same switch, so it should be fine to stream HD content, I'm just not sure what to use to transcode etc.

Last edited by Cyberbob : 20th November 2010 at 13:10.
Old 20th November 2010, 13:38     #130
Deff
I felt shocked

PS3 Media Server for Transcoding
Minidlna for everything else.
Old 29th November 2010, 19:42     #131
p-b

ok, so I've put a lot of my media onto a portable hard drive and have organised it all nicely.

It had worked fine with my PS3 prior to sorting everything into folders but now after sorting it doesn't seem to pick up any video files.

I'm guessing there's a directory level limit that the PS3 can recognise?

My folders are set up like so:

video -> Movies > sortedfolder > movie folder > movie file

I'm guessing that's too much for the PS3 to compute?

xbox seems to have no troubles with it.
Old 29th November 2010, 19:58     #132
darkness

ps3 media server

http://code.google.com/p/ps3mediaserver/

works a treat. And i managed to get it to transcode 720p episodes over wireless with no lag or skipping.

*snap completely missed Deff's post.
Old 30th November 2010, 08:07     #133
orpheus
Jedi Knight

+1 for PS3 Media Server here - it works great.
Old 30th November 2010, 08:38     #134
mr selfdestruct
The Deliverator

Quote:
Originally Posted by orpheus
I still have to transcode all the mkv stuff with mkv2vob before I play it though or sometimes I get skippy lag *sigh*
Old 30th November 2010, 09:14     #135
^BITES^

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr selfdestruct
I still have to transcode all the mkv stuff with mkv2vob before I play it though or sometimes I get skippy lag *sigh*
Doesn't happen to mine either on Linux or Windows 7.

No issues with 720p MKV's

()_) ()_)--o-)_)
Old 30th November 2010, 09:28     #136
Dazza

Quote:
Originally Posted by p-b
ok, so I've put a lot of my media onto a portable hard drive and have organised it all nicely.

It had worked fine with my PS3 prior to sorting everything into folders but now after sorting it doesn't seem to pick up any video files.

I'm guessing there's a directory level limit that the PS3 can recognise?

My folders are set up like so:

video -> Movies > sortedfolder > movie folder > movie file

I'm guessing that's too much for the PS3 to compute?

xbox seems to have no troubles with it.
Just did a test on my ps3 for ya. I have no problem at all reading that many directories deep. Even at 6 and 7 tiers I could still read them.

Are you trying to view them by going pressing triangle and going "display all" or are you hoping the PS3 will pick them up automatically thus why you are putting them in the video folder. I always use the "display all" route, as I've found the automatic route problematic.

Oh one other thing I think the PS3 has a problem recognizing a couple of symbols, but can't remember what (either that or I'm thinking back to XBMC)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr selfdestruct
I had the same problem as you one time, but I can't remember how I fixed it.

I either downloaded a beta version or I changed one of the options in the encoding for video/audio syncing

Last edited by Dazza : 30th November 2010 at 09:30.
Old 30th November 2010, 15:24     #137
Skanks
User Awaiting Email Confirmation

Quote:
Originally Posted by orpheus
+1 for PS3 Media Server here as well

I get the occasional skipping on 1080P content over wired gigabit but I think that's more my computer.
Old 30th November 2010, 15:56     #138
a-tech

PS3 Media Server is the goods.

720p MKV is fine - though sometimes the 'skip to 1/2/5 minute intervals' function doesnt work so well.
Old 30th November 2010, 18:37     #139
BadNova

I'm trying to get PS3 Media Server running on my windows 7 PC but no matter what I do, I can't seem to a) stop the Windows Media one from showing up on the XMB and b) get the PS3 Media Server one to appear on there. i've followed the instructions for disabling the windows media one but it doesn't seem to have had the desired effect
Old 30th November 2010, 18:38     #140
Deff
I felt shocked

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNova
I'm trying to get PS3 Media Server running on my windows 7 PC but no matter what I do, I can't seem to a) stop the Windows Media one from showing up on the XMB and b) get the PS3 Media Server one to appear on there. i've followed the instructions for disabling the windows media one but it doesn't seem to have had the desired effect
Firewall?
Old 30th November 2010, 19:11     #141
BadNova

It was already listed in the firewall exclusion list but it was still blocking it... just turning the whole thing off fixed it for now, I'll figure that out later. Cheers. Now to get MKVs working.
Old 30th November 2010, 23:27     #142
p-b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazza
Just did a test on my ps3 for ya. I have no problem at all reading that many directories deep. Even at 6 and 7 tiers I could still read them.

Are you trying to view them by going pressing triangle and going "display all" or are you hoping the PS3 will pick them up automatically thus why you are putting them in the video folder. I always use the "display all" route, as I've found the automatic route problematic.
Just tried doing the "display all" and that worked a treat, just really confused though as to why, all of a sudden, it would stop working when it worked perfectly before.

Anyway, cheers for that, saves me the rigmarole of trying to reorganise everything again!
Old 30th April 2012, 14:46     #143
Cyberbob

*bump*

What are people using these days?
I'm finding way too many DLNA errors when using PS3MediaServer lately.
Old 30th April 2012, 15:09     #144
GM

I'm using PS3mediaserver, there's a DLNA timeout error that occurs when you have a ton of files (ie over 300) in the same dir, you may need segment them out into smaller categories ie. Sci-fi / Action / Drama in your NAS or storage device.
Old 11th May 2012, 13:40     #145
[BT]Monza

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyberbob
*bump*

What are people using these days?
I'm finding way too many DLNA errors when using PS3MediaServer lately.

Still using PS3mediaserver lately but had two movies that had the audio copyright watermark thingy (Tintin and Girl Dragan Tattoo) so started looking at alternatives that is sans the PS3.

For now have XBMC on main pc, with long HDMI to TV for video and optical out from PCI sound card for sound to amp. This combined with my mate lending me his spare 8TB NAS as 'backup' is fairly mint. Also have iPhone app to remote control XBMC.
Old 5th June 2012, 13:52     #146
Baxton

Quote:
Originally Posted by [BT]Monza
Still using PS3mediaserver lately but had two movies that had the audio copyright watermark thingy (Tintin and Girl Dragan Tattoo) so started looking at alternatives that is sans the PS3.
theres a quick fix for this. From memory it is ticking a box about passing the audio through (think it requires a amp to decode the audio stream).

pretty hazy cause I gave the ps3 the boot as a media center 6 months ago. got sick of continually having to update the backend decoder files manually.
Old 5th June 2012, 13:58     #147
[BT]Monza

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baxton
theres a quick fix for this. From memory it is ticking a box about passing the audio through (think it requires a amp to decode the audio stream).

pretty hazy cause I gave the ps3 the boot as a media center 6 months ago. got sick of continually having to update the backend decoder files manually.
Tried all the quick fixes such as above, nothing worked. Once started using XBMC, haven't looked back.
Old 5th June 2012, 15:33     #148
Baxton

yep I wish sky would offer their isky steam so you could get an xbmc plug-in. doubt it will happen though.
Old 5th June 2012, 19:51     #149
Cyberbob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baxton

Would be good to get a confirmation on this. I'm still getting movies crap out due to Cineva or whatever it is.
Old 6th June 2012, 15:05     #150
a-tech

Far as Im aware, they patched that out like soon as people figured it out.

I tried it and it didn't work.

No work arounds aside from not using the PS3 for those movies it seems.
Old 7th June 2012, 12:18     #151
Baxton

ahh right was late last year when I did it. Ticking the enabled encoded audio pass through fixed it. (you gotta have a dts/5.1 amp).

here was the link
http://www.ps3mediaserver.org/forum/...=7194&start=50

but if they have patched it then.....dont use the ps3 as a media server?
Old 7th June 2012, 12:49     #152
Baal

Quote:
Originally Posted by [BT]Monza
Tried all the quick fixes such as above, nothing worked. Once started using XBMC, haven't looked back.
This, why continue pushing shit uphill?

You can get really cheap XBMC capable boxes nowadays that handle video shitloads better than the PS3 ever will and with none of the hassle.
Old 7th June 2012, 13:00     #153
Baxton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baal
This, why continue pushing shit uphill?

You can get really cheap XBMC capable boxes nowadays that handle video shitloads better than the PS3 ever will and with none of the hassle.
yep. out the box xbmc does everything that teh ps3 does (and more) and it does it better. minimal configuration and once it's done you really dont need to fk with it.
Old 7th June 2012, 15:17     #154
Code

Can anyone recommend anything?

I am using my ps3 - and dont have any dramas to be honest. I was hoping to slide to the Apple TV3 running XBMC but am waiting for the jailbreak.

Is there any other little boxes out there which can run 1080p XBMC?
Old 12th June 2012, 11:27     #155
Baal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Code
Can anyone recommend anything? Is there any other little boxes out there which can run 1080p XBMC?
http://forum.xbmc.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=112 should be plenty of info here