NZGames.com Forums
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Go Back   NZGames.com Forums > Games and Mods > Console Forum
User Name
Password

Old 10th December 2008, 10:38     #41
solitaire

Im playing around with tversity and media home... both work fine until you come to mkv files which it doesnt managed... something wrong with transcoding. I tried converting them to vob but it cant run those either (at least ones that i create)

real bummer, as soon as i get this working i am going to sell my media center and re-coup some of the cost of my ps3.

Loving it though, awesome console.
Old 10th December 2008, 10:55     #42
BaM
Freeloader

What are you doing to convert them? MKV2VOB with default settings works fine for me.

If it mentions transcoding, you're doing it wrong. It's a simple demux/mux procedure.
Old 11th December 2008, 00:36     #43
ala*

mmm my ps3 screws up on vob files these days, need to rename them to mpg... after latest firmware i think
Old 11th December 2008, 07:45     #44
BaM
Freeloader

Yeah I just have all mine as .mpg anyway, which makes them a bit friendlier with other OSes.
Old 4th January 2009, 12:37     #45
Roco

Having just purchased a PS3, and tried Tversity, I read a discussion which pointed out this new PS3 specific media server - http://ps3mediaserver.blogspot.com/

So far I am impressed. Transcode of non compatible formats to 720p mpeg2 with high bitrate seem very good. There is a small startup delay, and the fastforward/scene feature of the PS3 can be a bit laggy or buggy, but the video plays and sounds very good.
Old 4th January 2009, 15:30     #46
_Incubus_

Yeah it seems in the 2.53 release they fixed some streaming bugs, I just play movies off my Upnp server with no pause issues anymore.
Old 6th January 2009, 09:15     #47
Stalker

Noice one Roco, this has replaced mediatomb for me Transcoding seems to work nicely too!
Old 12th January 2009, 15:02     #48
Evilmonkey

I've not had to transcode much so I turned it off. I wanted to know what was coding and what wasn't.

Might have a play.

One thing I have noticed was if I paused the movie and left it for about 5 mins, then tried to resume it would produce a network error and not remember whre it was upto in the movie. Very anoying.

The new patch seems to at least attempt to figure out what happend and retry, which works perfectly.

Occasionaly I used to get network errors when there was an error in the movie. Now PS3 seems to skip past the error and keep on playing fine. Very happy with this.
Old 12th January 2009, 15:11     #49
Cyberbob

Still getting skips, any bitrate, transcode or not :/

Might just be my wireless.

http://ps3mediaserver.blogspot.com/ certainly does a decent job though. Definitely recommend it above the fussing around with tversity.
Old 12th January 2009, 21:07     #50
_Incubus_

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyberbob
Still getting skips, any bitrate, transcode or not :/

Might just be my wireless.

http://ps3mediaserver.blogspot.com/ certainly does a decent job though. Definitely recommend it above the fussing around with tversity.
I had skip problems with wireless, went to wired and less problems, changed to static and now the streaming is seamless..
Old 12th January 2009, 21:44     #51
ala*

yup any skipping probs are definitely wireless.

im stuck with wireless so i tend to just copy anything high bitrate to the ps3 to watch it, not hard.

and yes, ive switched to the google ps3 media server also, no DLNA errors, good thumbnail support, and no having to index every time i add a new show
Old 13th January 2009, 10:51     #52
Evilmonkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by ala*
yup any skipping probs are definitely wireless.

im stuck with wireless so i tend to just copy anything high bitrate to the ps3 to watch it, not hard.

and yes, ive switched to the google ps3 media server also, no DLNA errors, good thumbnail support, and no having to index every time i add a new show
I've not experienced those issues with tversity. You don't need to reindex.

I used wired PS3 to the wireless access point then wireless to my PC, double wireless skipped.

What is the thumbnail support? Does it thumbnail movies? Or just Pictures?
Old 14th January 2009, 13:08     #53
Stalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evilmonkey
What is the thumbnail support? Does it thumbnail movies? Or just Pictures?
All video files, you can set how far into the file for it to take the thumbnail i.e. 60 sec into the movie
Old 14th January 2009, 22:48     #54
BaM
Freeloader

I have to say, the linux version of ps3mediaserver is extremely fucking unfriendly, just giving a big fat java error on my system, with no help at all in the docs. Pass.
Old 14th January 2009, 23:56     #55
Stalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaM
I have to say, the linux version of ps3mediaserver is extremely fucking unfriendly, just giving a big fat java error on my system, with no help at all in the docs. Pass.
Install Java6 and MPlayer did the trick for me, I'm usuing Ubuntu 8.10
Old 15th January 2009, 00:41     #56
Spoon1
Mmm... Sacrilicious

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evilmonkey
I've not experienced those issues with tversity. You don't need to reindex.
You have to refresh the folder before new shows show up...
Old 15th January 2009, 12:09     #57
Evilmonkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoon1
It must do it when it starts or something as I've never had to do it. Spose I have never really copied something there then tried to watch it right away.
Old 27th January 2009, 15:13     #58
Luse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roco
Having just purchased a PS3, and tried Tversity, I read a discussion which pointed out this new PS3 specific media server - http://ps3mediaserver.blogspot.com/

So far I am impressed. Transcode of non compatible formats to 720p mpeg2 with high bitrate seem very good. There is a small startup delay, and the fastforward/scene feature of the PS3 can be a bit laggy or buggy, but the video plays and sounds very good.
Seconding this. Been using it for a week now. Pretty awesome and simple to setup. Works a treat. No complain of product
Old 27th January 2009, 15:38     #59
QWERTY?

yerp tversity is ass in comparison
Old 27th January 2009, 15:47     #60
SID|DensitY

tversity was giving me some crap, so i've switched to default media player for now. I'll give this ps3 media server a try.
Old 27th January 2009, 17:57     #61
Genesis

Quote:
Yeah that's a real PITA and I'm yet to find any UPnP based media server that doesn't require this.

I've never really had any problems with streaming even my MPEG4 720p videos over 802.11g. What problems I do have are usually related more to TVersity than wireless IMO.
Old 27th January 2009, 18:14     #62
Yoda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Genesis
Yeah that's a real PITA and I'm yet to find any UPnP based media server that doesn't require this.
Mediatomb works well with inotify in linux. I rarely have to restart the service now.
Old 28th January 2009, 10:42     #63
Evilmonkey

Quote:
Upon closer inspection there is actually an option to set an auto refresh of the library. Using it can cause a network error to show where you are playing your files to (PS3 is famous for this but with one of the more recent patches it can usually skip past the error and carry on which is a big improvement).

So it is best to not have it refreshing all the time, depends if you get errors or not.

Turns out I was using a manual hack to auto refresh my library (you edit some tversity xml file, which you could do almost from day one of release, I just forgot I'd done it.
Old 28th January 2009, 10:45     #64
Evilmonkey

Tested it. Set the refresh interval to 1 minute via the GUI and there is no errors or slow downs while playing to my PS3. I have over 1000 files in my library list.
Old 2nd February 2009, 11:19     #65
Cyberbob

Motherfucking 1.1mb xvid doesn't work when played directly on ps3, only 1.0

grrrr
Old 2nd February 2009, 15:06     #66
_Incubus_

Quote:
Motherfucking 1.1mb xvid doesn't work when played directly on ps3, only 1.0

grrrr
I take it you mean gig? Theres a 1gig limit imposed on file playback..fuck heads need to remove that cap...
Old 2nd February 2009, 15:30     #67
Cyberbob

xvid video: 1.1mb
xvid audio 128kb

guess it's per second
Old 3rd February 2009, 12:21     #68
Evilmonkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Incubus_
I take it you mean gig? Theres a 1gig limit imposed on file playback..fuck heads need to remove that cap...
Hmm I am sure I have played bigger Vob files than 1 gig.
Old 3rd February 2009, 12:25     #69
Cyberbob

it's not file size, it's bitrate in the encoded xvid.

It'll come up as "unsupported data" once you try and play it
Old 3rd February 2009, 13:11     #70
Spoon1
Mmm... Sacrilicious

Hmm, is that what it is?... I've been getting the unsupported data error a bit lately, with TVersity set to transcode "only when needed". The only fix I've found is to force it to "transcode always" and then they play.
Old 3rd February 2009, 21:23     #71
_Incubus_

Quote:

Yeah I find quite a few xvid's do this..drives me mental. I end up recoding everything with that ps3 converter 9 progie...
Old 4th February 2009, 09:55     #72
Evilmonkey

Quote:

Oh is that all. Some xvids don't play. About 30% of older ones won't play.

Meh nothing to see here move along. But yeh you could force it to transcode if you really want it to play.
Old 4th February 2009, 10:34     #73
mr selfdestruct
The Deliverator

Seriously this is way too much fucking effort it's just not worth it. Play off laptop through TV via HDMI/VGA. Profit.
Old 4th February 2009, 11:36     #74
Gentl e

Nah these guys just make it *sound* hard, when really it isn't. .MKV files can be converted in 2 seconds. 99% of files for me have worked, I don't know what you guys are doing wrong but I just put the file onto a thumb drive and play it straight off that - never had a problem.
Old 4th February 2009, 11:38     #75
crocos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentl e
...but I just put the file onto a thumb drive and play it straight off that - never had a problem.
You've missed the point of this thread. They don't WANT to sneakernet each movie; they want to have a centralised storage of all their movies and play 'em back off the network.

وكل يوم كنت تعيش في العبودية
Old 4th February 2009, 13:14     #76
Gentl e

*sigh* hi crocos, welcome to the thread.

I see you've provided some useful information that has contibuted greatly to the topic at hand. Once again.
Old 4th February 2009, 21:40     #77
Genesis

Cunning

Quote:
*sigh* hi crocos, welcome to the thread.

I see you've provided some useful information that has contibuted greatly to the topic at hand. Once again.
Er, what? He's 100% correct. Look at the thread title, notice there is no mention of a USB device (or use of).

Do you mind if I also bring to your attention that this thread is on UPnP media servers and issues relating to the use of UPnP media servers with the PS3.

I don't think anyone that wants to use a UPnP media server cares about media played back from a USB storage device. I could be wrong though? I certainly found it fascinating however and I had no idea that playing media from a directly connected storage device yielded better results than streaming media wirelessly from a computer.
Old 4th February 2009, 21:51     #78
Cyberbob

Didn't you know, the thread is actually called "what the fuck USB storage device actually fucking works"

Quote:
Quote:
I don't know what you guys are doing wrong but I just put the file onto a thumb drive and play it straight off that - never had a problem.

Mr contributing useful information.

Last edited by Cyberbob : 4th February 2009 at 21:52.
Old 4th February 2009, 23:30     #79
BaM
Freeloader

The way I do it works fine for me! Thread over.

What? People come here for help?
Old 5th February 2009, 13:34     #80
ala*

new version of teh google media server. works better on some xvids. <3