Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Go Back   NZGames.com Forums > General > Open Discussion
User Name
Password

Old 17th April 2012, 17:50     #1721
crocos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ab
When I hear "bit of a dive run by crazy cat lady" I hear "put it down".
The place was on the news a while back - it's actually legit, despite not sounding so.

وكل يوم كنت تعيش في العبودية
Old 17th April 2012, 17:56     #1722
mpx

Photos suggest it's got all the essentials and housings a cat would need and has a seriously huge list of cats that have been adopted into homes. Sounds like a good option, at the very least it wouldn't hurt to check the place out.
Old 17th April 2012, 19:22     #1723
dylan
Huh?

yea I'm in wellys. maybe there's an equivalent. I used to work with someone who volunteered at the Cat Protection League, maybe I'll look them up and see if they have any ideas
Old 20th April 2012, 10:34     #1724
[BT]Monza

Part of the reason I moved back to NZ was to have a back yard so could have a dog... say hello to Lockie (short for Sherlock).

First visit to the breeder, only a few weeks old

If you catch the light just right he has blue eyes

Hanging out in our lounge

Lockie thinks Auckland house prices are rubbish too...

Always eating leaves, mainly cabbage leaves that fall into our backyard...

Running around the backyard

I think we'll stop buying expensive toys, he prefers cardboard rolls and tea towels.
Old 20th April 2012, 10:36     #1725
Kryten

Damn you - too much cute.
Old 20th April 2012, 11:16     #1726
StN
I have detailed files

That's rich!
Old 20th April 2012, 11:19     #1727
ChaosWulf
Don't worry, be harpy

Aww!!!
Old 20th April 2012, 11:39     #1728
Kryten

Quote:
Originally Posted by StN
That's rich!
My secret confession - I want a little dog I'm thinking of something like a Corgi, truth be told.
Old 20th April 2012, 18:07     #1729
chiQ
Frag-muff

Thumbs up

Corgis are the most insanely daft, but incredibly pretty-faced dogs out. Gorgeous...until you clock them walking from behind.

That is a seriously photogenic dog, Monza. Win. Please keep posting pictures.
Old 27th April 2012, 09:51     #1730
Kryten

This little guy is the sole survivor from a litter of 3 I'd go for Han as his name (because I'm simple in the head) but it's likely he'll be off to a pet home instead, so he'll be spared.

Old 27th April 2012, 23:06     #1731
Foggerty

Oh dear god I so need to get married, buy a house with a large garden and settle down just so that I can own a dog

(Just need to phrase it slightly differently to my girlfriend...)

My usual answer to people asking why I don't get a dog (in my one bedroom apartment that, most nights, I get back to late in the evening) is that its because I like dogs.
Old 13th May 2012, 18:55     #1732
Pepsi
Konnichiwa, bitches

Cute puppies on this page!!

Here is my new(ish) cat, playing with a balloon. Got him in January this year, he was already a year or so old, from a broken home where neither person really wanted to keep him. Craving attention, and now gets it..

Cat vs Balloon
Old 13th May 2012, 19:06     #1733
Spink

Can I pre-empt all the terrible things people are going to say about Pepsi's pussy? I thought not.
Old 5th June 2012, 15:11     #1734
aR Que

Yo, dog peoples, got some questions:
- dog i'm looking at is a few months old, will i be able to break it's bad habits (if any) and will i be able to begin to train it easy enough if it's been neglected in this area?(start off young etc) will behavior problems developed prior cause me no end to grief? eg. is it a bad idea (picking up someone elses problem makes me nervous)
- is it just easier / better to get a fresh puppy in terms of behavior and training?

Thoughts? Dog in question is a doberman pinscher.
Old 5th June 2012, 16:50     #1735
chiQ
Frag-muff

Pepsi: The confusion when it popped was awesome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aR Que
Yo, dog peoples, got some questions:
- dog i'm looking at is a few months old, will i be able to break it's bad habits (if any) and will i be able to begin to train it easy enough if it's been neglected in this area?(start off young etc) will behavior problems developed prior cause me no end to grief? eg. is it a bad idea (picking up someone elses problem makes me nervous)
- is it just easier / better to get a fresh puppy in terms of behavior and training?

Thoughts? Dog in question is a doberman pinscher.
It is a bit harder to train an older dog, especially if it's been allowed to develop bad habits. It's worth making the effort though, I think. Older dogs are less likely to be taken on, so they're more likely to end up euthanased.

That said, a few months old is not an older dog. It's a puppy still.
Old 10th June 2012, 23:51     #1736
Wake

Old 10th June 2012, 23:59     #1737
Wake

Issey, taken at XMAS time.

Last edited by Wake : 11th June 2012 at 00:01.
Old 12th June 2012, 19:55     #1738
chiQ
Frag-muff

I finally managed to capture a quiet little rabbit frisk video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NG8mJ7_p79M

It's just about impossible to do, as he stops what he's doing when I point the phone at him. This time I was kind of hiding it.
Old 12th June 2012, 20:20     #1739
Pepsi
Konnichiwa, bitches

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiQ
I finally managed to capture a quiet little rabbit frisk video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NG8mJ7_p79M

It's just about impossible to do, as he stops what he's doing when I point the phone at him. This time I was kind of hiding it.
lol cute! Didn't know bunnies got like that
Old 12th June 2012, 22:35     #1740
chiQ
Frag-muff

That's just a gentle wee binky. When he goes completely apeshit it's hilarious. He gets really high, does burnouts, and turns around in mid-air and shoots off the other way. I tell people about it, but have never managed to film it or show them in any way. Now I have somewhat watered down documentation.
Old 23rd July 2012, 09:35     #1741
chiQ
Frag-muff

BaM's rabbit:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=99rwICvzcx0
Old 27th July 2012, 13:55     #1742
crocos

Yeah, so Wednesday is going to suck.

I'm going to have to say goodbye to a mate that I've known from when he was in a litter of 13 pups (Still the largest natural Golden Retreiver litter in the Southern Hemisphere!), teaching him to play ball, Me moving out of home (but visiting most weeks!), Playing with him, racing around like a mad thing & swimming, his insistence on ALWAYS getting walked each evening (even if it's 1am!) - even now that he's extremely arthritic and mostly deaf.

It feels selfish to want to not put him to sleep - he's a happy, friendly dog even now, loves being around people - especially family, but he's in a LOT of pain and it just hurts to see him this way far more than my selfish want for his companionship.

Going to miss you Kyva.

Old 27th July 2012, 13:58     #1743
[BT]Monza

sorry to hear crocos
Old 27th July 2012, 14:03     #1744
StN
I have detailed files

Old 27th July 2012, 14:04     #1745
chiQ
Frag-muff

Old 27th July 2012, 14:08     #1746
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Old 27th July 2012, 19:27     #1747
Spoon1
Mmm... Sacrilicious

Arse
Old 28th July 2012, 13:57     #1748
Foggerty

Sorry to hear that, never an easy thing
Old 2nd August 2012, 09:48     #1749
crocos

Thanks all.

Old 2nd August 2012, 09:59     #1750
Mojo

So sorry to hear bro Hope you doing ok.
Old 2nd August 2012, 11:37     #1751
Juju
get to da choppa

Again, sorry to hear dude.

Hopefully this might make you smile! Our Cairn terrier, Jessie:

2 months:

6 months:
Old 2nd August 2012, 16:31     #1752
crocos

Cute-as

Old 16th August 2012, 20:53     #1753
chiQ
Frag-muff

GRAAAHH
Old 19th August 2012, 11:04     #1754
[BT]Monza

Lockie decides to get his own breakfast

Old 19th August 2012, 11:54     #1755
CCS
Stunt Pants

Aww... he thinks he's people.
Old 19th August 2012, 14:56     #1756
Saladin
Nothing to See Here!

Like a little Rory Calhoun
Old 24th August 2012, 12:12     #1757
Kryten

Wrote this yesterday. Back from the vet now and it was all very peaceful for her. I held up reasonably well, until I made it back to the car at least.

Quote:

Anyone that knows my wife and I probably knows about our Alaskan Malamutes. We had dogs before we had kids (well before) and dogs saw us move to a house in the country, upgrade vehicles (more than once), build new constructions (dog runs and fencing are Very Serious Business), imported live dogs and frozen semen from the USA, travel one end of the county to the other for dog shows and racing events and Nic's also gotten a few "working holidays" to the USA along the way as well.

But it all had much more humble origins than that, back in 1997 with a dog called Loki. It became pretty apparent early on that he needed a friend (and Nic needed a dog of "her own") and so in 1998 we went back to the same (not very good) breeder and got a girl, who we called Kali.

At this point, the dog bug had bitten Nic hard. Really hard (note - not an actual bug). Nic's always had a competitive streak and so decided that she was going to give the dog showing game a crack and therefore that's what we did. Except Kali was a terrible show dog. Like, really terrible. Horrible structure. Too skinny and long. A crabby, inefficient running style. Losing doesn't come easy to Nic and so when she moved on to really commit to her hobby, Kali became mine.

In 2000 we started down a road I never even knew existed in New Zealand, sled dog racing. Racing here is (predominately) on forest tracks using wheeled rigs, not sleds on the snow but the basic principles are the same as you might have seen in Balto, Eight Below, Iron Will or even Disney's awful "Snow Dogs". Using borrowed gear (we might have had our own harnesses for the dogs by then) I was able to complete my first ever race (proof) and we went from there.

To a customised purpose built racing rig.
To a customised purpose built dog truck.
To hundreds and thousands of kilometres of driving.
To ferry rides, sleeping bags, early starts, cold mornings, lukewarm awful tasting coffee and an almost uncountable number of kilometres running the dogs in harness.

To races like this:

(Neo on the right, Kali on the left, 2004).

And this:

(2003)

And Kali's been there for it all. Loki was put down in late 2000 but Kali has stayed with us. I can't count the number of dogs she's seen come through our kennels, wether they've been just visiting, boarding with us, from the litters of puppies we've bred or dogs we have temporarily looked after for friends.

I won my first races with Kali (for a while there, she held a National title) and even though the boys she ran with changed a little bit (there was Loki, a Siberian Husky called Kushka and finally our very own boofhead, Neo) she was always a rock. We occasionally clashed wills when it came to things like "corners" or "behaviour to other teams on the track" but despite her being smaller than the boys, she never hesitated to snap at them to tell them it was go time at a race start or to pull their big dumb asses around corners (or push them, if we were turning in the other direction). She never hesitated to run through the mud puddles, over the ice and snow or through the river we needed to ford.

Kali has just had her 14th birthday, which makes her very old for an Alaskan Malamute. Her strength left her awhile ago and she hasn't worn a harness since 2006 (Our last race was 2005. We won). She now doesn't have the strength to stand herself up and I'm having to carry her so she can go to the toilet. She still eats and drinks, but only if it's placed right in front of her. The painkillers help.

It's time. Tomorrow, we go to the vet for the last time.

I'll miss you, Kali Bear.
Old 24th August 2012, 12:26     #1758
chiQ
Frag-muff

Sorry dude. Bug sympathies from me.

You made me cry.

I found this the other day and thought of you:

Old 24th August 2012, 12:27     #1759
ChaosWulf
Don't worry, be harpy

Very sad

*hugs*