Password

Old 11th August 2007, 14:25     #121
Phantom
May contain nuts

Cheesy grin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom
Sounds like it would frustrate me tbh
Turns out I was wrong about this - i used one recently and had 100% accuracy and very high speed txting. It was awesome - definitely getting one when they come out here now.
Old 13th September 2007, 12:24     #122
smudge
Ich Bin Ein Grey Lynner

rofl : http://parallelimported.co.nz/view.php?id=10125
Old 13th September 2007, 12:48     #123
gandalf

Ha!

"The greatest mobile communications/media device in the history of Telecommunications" - utter BS. OK, so my Nokia may not have fancy pants multi-touch, but it's way more functional...

$1699.00 - that's just laughable.
Old 22nd September 2007, 09:55     #124
smudge
Ich Bin Ein Grey Lynner

They're down to $1200 now. Almost tempted considering it has no 2 year contract lock-in. Only thing holding me back is the fear that an unlocked phone won't get any of the new updates coming...
Old 22nd September 2007, 10:11     #125
Hazmat
I Like Toast

Quote:
Originally Posted by smudge
They're down to $1200 now. Almost tempted considering it has no 2 year contract lock-in. Only thing holding me back is the fear that an unlocked phone won't get any of the new updates coming...
Looking at the pricing for the ipod touch, the iPhone should only be max $800 (and that's being real generous on shipping).
I've got an email here from Parallel Imported advising they software unlock their phones, confirming they charge $400+ for a FREE software unlock.
If that $400 could gaurantee an unlocked phone no matter what IE: it will always remain unlocked and can be firmware updated, then I'll consider one from them.
Old 25th September 2007, 22:17     #126
smudge
Ich Bin Ein Grey Lynner

$975 : http://toshbuy.com/index.php?cPath=6

Last edited by smudge : 25th September 2007 at 22:18.
Old 26th September 2007, 00:50     #127
Hazmat
I Like Toast

Quote:
Almost worth sending to PI and getting them to price match it..
Old 26th September 2007, 14:45     #128
slippers

BIGGER GIMMICK THAN AN IPOD.

Touch screen anything = Crap.

Having to look at the screen to use it = Crap.

Needs to have a number pad on it as well....for y'no calling? and texting?

Last edited by slippers : 26th September 2007 at 14:45. Reason: cumrag
Old 26th September 2007, 20:13     #129
Ashley
Fuck up Ashley

Quote:
Originally Posted by slippers
BIGGER GIMMICK THAN AN IPOD.

Touch screen anything = Crap.

Having to look at the screen to use it = Crap.

Needs to have a number pad on it as well....for y'no calling? and texting?

And there is a number pad for calls, obviously. CBF finding pic.
Old 27th September 2007, 08:20     #130
smudge
Ich Bin Ein Grey Lynner

grr : http://stuff.co.nz/4215932a28.html

Turbo simmed might be your best bet.
Old 29th September 2007, 18:01     #131
smudge
Ich Bin Ein Grey Lynner

meh, had to do it.

The parallel imports ones are unlocked and have installer.app on them, so it's basically completely setup. The tosh computers ones are "virgin" you have to do all the unlocking and installing shit yourself. It's only a matter of time before there's no 1.0.2 phones left to buy.

I'm blown away by the phone, it really is extremely slick. Not too woried about the fact you can't upgrade the firmware either, because really, what would it give me? downloading crappy sounding music from the itunes store? no thanks, I like my music uncompressed or flac/alac .
Old 1st November 2007, 14:31     #132
Noodles
Wireless Slacker

Been playing/unlocking an iphone in the last day (friend came back from the US). Looks pretty cool, not sure if I'd want one though, the lack of 3G and GPS kinda sucks.
Old 21st November 2007, 00:13     #133
BaM
Freeloader

Badly translated rumours!
Old 21st November 2007, 11:50     #134
Rocket

Why do you actually want 3G on it for anyway?
Old 21st November 2007, 13:34     #135
Noodles
Wireless Slacker

because gprs is slow
Old 21st November 2007, 17:22     #136
Kickass

I have a iphone and its awesome (from a N95)

i never used features like MMS, 3G , GPS anyways

things like calling people and texting people, listening to music and WI FI are the best of any phone.
Old 21st November 2007, 17:43     #137
BaM
Freeloader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket
Why do you actually want 3G on it for anyway?
I was actually referring to this part:
Quote:
The launch of the 3G iPhone would occur simultaneously in all countries where the carrier [Vodafone] operates but will not be announced until after the holidays (MacWorld?) to avoid impacting sales of the existing iPhone.
Old 22nd November 2007, 10:09     #138
Rocket

nice :>

i think 3G on a cellphone is a bit of an overkill anyway. maybe on a PDA or a datacard for a laptop. but a cellphone? u can browse GPRS just fine on a cell and send email etc.

i mean have their been complaints about the data speed?

its not like you can install your own applications to use the bandwidth either.

guess the iphone IS a pda thou
Old 22nd November 2007, 10:41     #139
Baal

No 3g is just shit.
Old 15th December 2007, 08:04     #140
Phantom
May contain nuts

Anyone know how to turn GPRS off on this thing? I googled but all I found was how to explain to your carrier what they need to do (with IMEI codes or whatever) - rather than something I can do myself. Any hacks around or anything? Data here is expensive and this thing likes to consume it :O
Old 15th December 2007, 08:34     #141
Painty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baal
No 3g is just shit.
Video calling is ok. We use it when the wife is away and she has my number as "best mate" so she can call the kids.

As with everything it will get better.

Hell, hands up here who remembers fucking expensive toll calls that bounced up and down the island next to the railway line hitting a repeater every km or so. VOIP sounds like a conversation in the same room compared to that.

I lived in a town that was one of the last (if not the last) to get rid of crank handle (manual) phones that you had to call the operator and ask for the number.

/me waits for the "old man" jokes to fly...
Old 15th December 2007, 08:49     #142
smudge
Ich Bin Ein Grey Lynner

Quote:
Anyone know how to turn GPRS off on this thing? I googled but all I found was how to explain to your carrier what they need to do (with IMEI codes or whatever) - rather than something I can do myself. Any hacks around or anything? Data here is expensive and this thing likes to consume it :O
Have you got a 1.0.2 phone? I'm pretty sure the 1.1.1 upgrade gives you the ability to do this. Tried settings->general->network->edge and changing the username/password to something rubbish?
Old 15th December 2007, 09:02     #143
Phantom
May contain nuts

Quote:
Have you got a 1.0.2 phone? I'm pretty sure the 1.1.1 upgrade gives you the ability to do this. Tried settings->general->network->edge and changing the username/password to something rubbish?
it's 1.1.1 - there's no setting as far as i can find. As it doesn't use EDGE (just normal GPRS), the user/pass for edge doesn't affect it - they're currently blank anyway
Old 15th December 2007, 09:53     #144
crocos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Painty
/me waits for the "old man" jokes to fly...
I think that everyone is too stunned that you learnt to use a computer to make jokes at your expense

وكل يوم كنت تعيش في العبودية
Old 15th December 2007, 10:43     #145
smudge
Ich Bin Ein Grey Lynner

Quote:
it's 1.1.1 - there's no setting as far as i can find. As it doesn't use EDGE (just normal GPRS), the user/pass for edge doesn't affect it - they're currently blank anyway
I thought they added it as a feature after there were reports of people running up roaming charges of thousands. I've never bothered enabling edge/gprs, just using wifi. Still on 1.0.2, waiting till the new sdk stuff comes out before I start messing with upgrading it.
Old 15th December 2007, 17:50     #146
Phantom
May contain nuts

I didn't enable anything - if you're on vodafone, it will use gprs - no settings required. It just does it. A friend of mine says his even prefers gprs over his wifi setup lol
Old 15th December 2007, 18:37     #147
smudge
Ich Bin Ein Grey Lynner

Mine doesn't use gprs. Parallel imported included a instruction sheet that said how to set it up. But I've never bothered because I have nfi what my work sim's data plan is. I get an "Edge could not be activated" popup every time I unlock it out of wifi range.
Old 15th December 2007, 18:55     #148
smudge
Ich Bin Ein Grey Lynner

Something to try, installing services.app. I'm not getting edge messages after disabling it, in that. It's in installer -> utilities.
Old 15th December 2007, 19:54     #149
Caesar

I know a guy that has an iphone, he's got a wireless lan snooper/sniffer software that can scan for unprotected wireless connections so he can use their bandwidth to browse n do stuff. He even has another peice of software that can hack some wireless lan connections if need be.
Dodgy shit....

It was quite funny, we were at our work doo and he did a scan and the local pub wan showed up

Apparently they can be pretty expensive to run.

C
Old 8th January 2008, 11:12     #150
Whiplash
Bobo Fettish

Soooo ... what's the goss on an official iphone release for NZ?
Old 8th January 2008, 17:47     #151
PhX

prob find out when old jobs mentions the existance of the 3g version for the chinese market sometime soon. That would at least give us a good chance of getting it released here however there is a shit load of wicked phones coming out in the next 6 months that are already 'better' (in terms of function) then the current iphone, and these will most definatly hit our shores.
Old 27th February 2008, 12:04     #152
{m}

I just got one of these yesterday (friend brought it back for me from Thailand, but it's originally an imported US one, even came with the AT&T sim).

Really interesting to read all the negative comments in this thread - I can only assume that none of you have actually used one of these, cause it is hands down the most incredible piece of technology I've ever used. It's just amazing. I've mostly been using it for internet surfing (on wifi) which is really good.

Also, if you have an unlocked jailbroken one (like me) it really addresses a lot of the problems people have with it, i.e. there are shitloads of third party apps that you can download for it & there's now faux GPS using cell phone towers integrated into Google maps (which actually works pretty well i.e. within 500m). You can also convert your mp3s into ringtones for free, it's a bit fiddly but you can do it using nothing but iTunes.

The main great thing about the unlocked ones, is that it only cost me $644AU, and I'm using it on Optus in Australia on my crappy $9 a month plan. That was the main thing that sold me on buying an unlocked one vs waiting (endlessly) for Apple to actually release it in AU. By the time it gets here it'll be on some ridiculously expensive plan which I'd also no doubt have to switch providers for.

So yeah, it's great
Old 28th February 2008, 00:35     #153
fidgit
Always itchy

Quote:
Originally Posted by {m}
I just got one of these yesterday (friend brought it back for me from Thailand, but it's originally an imported US one, even came with the AT&T sim).

Really interesting to read all the negative comments in this thread - I can only assume that none of you have actually used one of these, cause it is hands down the most incredible piece of technology I've ever used. It's just amazing. I've mostly been using it for internet surfing (on wifi) which is really good.

Also, if you have an unlocked jailbroken one (like me) it really addresses a lot of the problems people have with it, i.e. there are shitloads of third party apps that you can download for it & there's now faux GPS using cell phone towers integrated into Google maps (which actually works pretty well i.e. within 500m). You can also convert your mp3s into ringtones for free, it's a bit fiddly but you can do it using nothing but iTunes.

The main great thing about the unlocked ones, is that it only cost me $644AU, and I'm using it on Optus in Australia on my crappy $9 a month plan. That was the main thing that sold me on buying an unlocked one vs waiting (endlessly) for Apple to actually release it in AU. By the time it gets here it'll be on some ridiculously expensive plan which I'd also no doubt have to switch providers for.

So yeah, it's great
You sound like I did when I finally gave in and tried an iPod. "They suck, they're over-designed, over-priced elitist crap" *buy* "Holy crap guys this is awesome!"

I'm pretty sold on blackberries for now, but hopefully the upgrade clause in my contract will get me an ipod when it roles around...

I've a question though - do you find the screen gets smudgy? I'm a man that enjoys his potato chips. Is the iPhone the right phone for me? (I've a blackberry pearl, so it's small enough to balance in my non-chip-grease-covered hand). Screen-smudge will be my main hold-off point that I really don't see how they can design around (everything else just sounds like 1.0 problems that'll be well fixed by the time they get around to an NZ release). Perhaps little nozzles that spray barsbugs filled water, and some tiny rubber touch-screen wipers that flick across the screen every two seconds...
Old 28th February 2008, 00:49     #154
{m}

Yeah I could see it getting a bit smeary if you insisted on eating potato chips off it or whatever, but hey thats why god invented pants legs.
Old 28th February 2008, 08:50     #155
smudge
Ich Bin Ein Grey Lynner

Quote:
Originally Posted by fidgit
You sound like I did when I finally gave in and tried an iPod. "They suck, they're over-designed, over-priced elitist crap" *buy* "Holy crap guys this is awesome!"
That's the reaction 90% of people seem to have when they use mine. The other 10% have "No Wireless. Less space than a Nomad. Lame"ed it. I have one techy-gadget mate who literally refused to even look at it. shrug.
Old 28th February 2008, 08:57     #156
Lightspeed

Cunning

We should have a big rumble between the iPhone and N95 guys.
Old 28th February 2008, 09:11     #157
RedeviL

lol, that'd be fun to watch. ^_^

I'm quite confused by this though:

Quote:
Originally Posted by {m}
You can also convert your mp3s into ringtones for free, it's a bit fiddly but you can do it using nothing but iTunes.
So it can't just go and use any of the mp3s on the device as a ringtone?
You must convert it?
o_O
Old 28th February 2008, 09:28     #158
gandalf

I'd really like to play with one, but seriously, you have to admit they've made some pretty dumb decisions - or rather left out some really basic features on 99% of other phones... back button, copy/paste, mms, multi-txt (now added), 3G, browser flash, video...

Still, I wanna try one and don't argue that the hardware design and engineering is superb. I just think you can do better for a fully featured phone from someone else, albeit without the "coolness" of whipping out an Apple product.
Old 28th February 2008, 10:02     #159
smudge
Ich Bin Ein Grey Lynner

^^ "No Wireless. Less space than a Nomad. Lame"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightspeed
We should have a big rumble between the iPhone and N95 guys.
Everyone knows we're prettier :F
Old 28th February 2008, 13:01     #160
BaM
Freeloader

Quote:
Originally Posted by gandalf
I'd really like to play with one, but seriously, you have to admit they've made some pretty dumb decisions - or rather left out some really basic features on 99% of other phones... back button, copy/paste, mms, multi-txt (now added), 3G, browser flash, video...
I've tried one (chiQ's sister has a UK iPhone) and thought it was pretty cool, but they really need to add most of that stuff above and get some decent third party apps (release the SDK already). Then I'll be keen.

[edit] Oh, more memory too. I don't want to have to carry an iPhone and iPod with me ffs.

For now the N95 does the job. My only gripe with it is the slow interface.