Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Go Back   NZGames.com Forums > General > Open Discussion > Politics
User Name
Password

Old 1st June 2012, 11:28     #1281
[Malks] Pixie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilk
I heard a good way of thinking about class sizes: how many direct reports would you be comfortable performance managing?
That analogy makes me deeply uncomfortable for so many reasons - no offense intended towards you though ilk.

Pixie
Old 1st June 2012, 12:29     #1282
crocos

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilk
I heard a good way of thinking about class sizes: how many direct reports would you be comfortable performance managing?
8 is ideal, 10 is starting to be unweildy. We've got one bloke at work currently managing 21 (well, 20 as one is on maternity leave) and a small handful of contractors too. Sod. That.

وكل يوم كنت تعيش في العبودية
Old 1st June 2012, 12:56     #1283
spigalau

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilk
The class sizes is a bit of a misnomer. Just because they say they are increasing them, doesn't mean you might see any difference in class size over what you have today.

The MOE funds the primary schools based on the head count of that school, the year 1 students are currently funded at 1:15 rate, the Year 2/3 @ 1:23, etc.

The actual class sizes are more like:
NE/Y1: 1/22
Y2/3: 1/25
Y3/4: 1/30

The MOE teacher funding is also used for additional teaching assistance (eg. reading recovery, literacy support) which also has to come out of the same budget/funding. So if you had 60 Y1 kids, the MOE would fund the school for 4FTE's (Full Time Teacher Equivalent), the school could deploy 3FTE as 3 classes of 20 kids and the additional FTE could be used as a reading recovery resource to cover all 3 classes.

It's all about balancing the funding and applying the $$$'s where it's needed most.
Old 1st June 2012, 16:59     #1284
fixed_truth

via Clare Curran
Old 1st June 2012, 17:17     #1285
CCS
Stunt Pants

ZOMG BURN! Wait... 2005... who... uh... who was in government back then?
Old 1st June 2012, 17:19     #1286
aR Que

Like my god damn girlfriend, always on about how i shat the bed, it was 2 weeks ago, let it go. ffs.
Old 1st June 2012, 17:27     #1287
plaz0r

I don't think anybody's disputing that expensive private schools have more money and resources than state schools, are they?
Old 1st June 2012, 17:32     #1288
xor

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCS
ZOMG BURN! Wait... 2005... who... uh... who was in government back then?
There is no way John Key would send his kids to a public school, even if he was PM back then and the education system was 'good'. If you've got money you send your kids to the schools that other rich people send their kids. I'm not really sure what point you're trying to make.

Does John Key have private health insurance? Like fuck he does, motherfucker wants to get seen to when his piles starts playing up.
Old 1st June 2012, 17:45     #1289
Saladin
Nothing to See Here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by plaz0r
I don't think anybody's disputing that expensive private schools have more money and resources than state schools, are they?
The point is more that the government is now trying to sell "class sizes don't matter", and there's John Key saying he prefers smaller class sizes.
Old 1st June 2012, 17:48     #1290
aR Que

I guess if public schools start charging the same fees as private schools....
Old 1st June 2012, 17:49     #1291
crocos

Quote:
Originally Posted by aR Que
I guess if public schools start charging the same fees as private schools....
Then they'd be private schools.

It's not that private have a lower student to teacher ratio, but that the changes Key et al are implementing will increase the student to teacher ratio in state-funded schools despite Key being on record at recognising that a lower S:T is better, despite this BS spin-doctored report.

It suggests that the current National government do not favour education for the unwashed masses.

Last edited by crocos : 1st June 2012 at 17:54.
Old 1st June 2012, 17:57     #1292
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Hold on, back up. You mean.. private schools are better resourced?
Old 1st June 2012, 18:07     #1293
spigalau

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ab
Hold on, back up. You mean.. private schools are better resourced?
Well compare my daughter - year 1 - public school, decile 4, school fees $90 (yes ninety) per annum, vs her good friend - Year 1 - Private School, school fees $20,000 per annum.

They both use exactly the same resources (they compare books), the difference is a) class size (shes 1/20, he's 1/16) and b) his class resources are colour printed & laminated vs b&w printed and c) he has to wear a wanky tie / blazer / beanie outfit.

At the end of the day, both will have been through the same things - well he get a better education for being in a smaller class size ? Probably not, becuase imho the private schooling system in NZ is very insular and dare I say it undomesticated, the students don't have a mix with multiple cultures and lack exposure to a real society.
Old 1st June 2012, 18:23     #1294
CCS
Stunt Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by xor
I'm not really sure what point you're trying to make.
Really? Are you a bit thick?

Okay... you said yourself that any rich person is going to send their kid to a private school, so that defeats the pic on one level. But the main gist of the pic is they're trying to make out that JK sending his kids to a private school means he doesn't have faith in the public schools that his government runs. Except the big problem with that is that the pic is dated from the time Labour was in charge of the public school system. So it's really a bit of an own goal for Labour.
Old 1st June 2012, 20:40     #1295
xor

Of course he doesn't have faith in the public schooling system. I bet most labour Mps also send their kids to private schools.

If JK was PM in 2005 he would still send his kids to a private school
Old 1st June 2012, 20:42     #1296
CCS
Stunt Pants

I think we're on the same page here.
Old 2nd June 2012, 17:06     #1297
fixed_truth

Key called hypocrite over class sizes
Quote:
It was not a direct quote, but a picture of Mr Key with the comment alongside was posted on Facebook yesterday and by last night had appeared on numerous blogs and been shared by more than 6000 people.
lol
Old 2nd June 2012, 17:40     #1298
pxpx

A storm of Internet protest!
Old 2nd June 2012, 18:15     #1299
cyc
Objection!

Quote:
Originally Posted by crocos
It's not that private have a lower student to teacher ratio, but that the changes Key et al are implementing will increase the student to teacher ratio in state-funded schools despite Key being on record at recognising that a lower S:T is better, despite this BS spin-doctored report.
Exactly. For myself, I take the view that class sizes alone does not matter per se (within reasonable limits, obviously). However, if Key is going to judge lower S:T as being better for his own child in 2005, what I'd like to know is whether (1) he still takes the same view in 2012, and (2) if not, what made him change his mind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCS

But the main gist of the pic is they're trying to make out that JK sending his kids to a private school means he doesn't have faith in the public schools that his government runs. Except the big problem with that is that the pic is dated from the time Labour was in charge of the public school system. So it's really a bit of an own goal for Labour.
I am truly curious as to what made you think this was the main gist of Labour's contention. I read the issue exactly as Crocos did as well. And even if you're right, at best all JK succeeds in doing there is the same kind of lame, oppositional politics that Labour engages in routinely. There's just no evidence of any radical improvements in our schools under this National government as opposed to under Labour.
Old 2nd June 2012, 23:53     #1300
Jodi

Quote:
Originally Posted by spigalau
Probably not, becuase imho the private schooling system in NZ is very insular and dare I say it undomesticated, the students don't have a mix with multiple cultures and lack exposure to a real society.
Exactly, the only point of going to a private school is to make friends with the rich people's kids who will be running stuff when they get old due to being rich. Very insular.
Old 3rd June 2012, 01:18     #1301
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Quote:
Originally Posted by fixed_truth

via Clare Curran
Turns out he said nothing of the sort. Another curranfail!
Old 3rd June 2012, 09:36     #1302
fixed_truth

Yep it's not a direct quote as the quotation marks imply so it is a fail in that respect. Though unless the interviewer is making shit up or paraphrasing Key's response incorrectly (has Key responded?) then it is a summary of his stated reasons why his kids go to private school.

This is the paraphrasing it's from:

Quote:
It might be sick, but it also might be why Key’s children – Stephanie, 12, and Max, 10 – go to private schools. Mostly, he says, that decision was for educational reasons. Their schools have smaller classes and are better resourced than most state schools. But he acknowledges that the connections children make are also important.
So although it's not a direct quote, it seems it was how Key responded, it has hit a nerve with the public and is approaching 10,000 (gone viral?) facebook shares. I think that's a win.
Old 3rd June 2012, 10:46     #1303
Golden Teapot
Love, Actuary

My kids go to the local public school. Sure we could easily afford to send them to a private one but we see no point. So long as the vast majority of kids going to a public school come from homes that value education then the outcome will be generally good - it's primarily the attitude of the kids that make the difference.

The only improvement I'd like to see is for good teachers to be paid more and for poor ones to be fired.
Old 3rd June 2012, 13:01     #1304
crocos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden Teapot
The only improvement I'd like to see is for good teachers to be paid more and for poor ones to be fired.
With the exception I'd like to see if the poor teachers can have their game lifted (on the grounds that no one will become a teacher if it's too black & white in the assessment), I agree - the reward should be matched to demonstrated ability.

Old 3rd June 2012, 16:31     #1305
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Quote:
Originally Posted by fixed_truth
Yep it's not a direct quote as the quotation marks imply so it is a fail in that respect.
So although it's not a direct quote, it seems it was how Key responded, it has hit a nerve with the public and is approaching 10,000 (gone viral?) facebook shares. I think that's a win.
Deliberately misquoting a politician and spamming the media with it is the sort of thing one expects from Fox News. Great to see that the NZ Labour Party has set its standards so high.
Old 3rd June 2012, 21:22     #1306
fixed_truth

So according to the original facebook post - it was actually put together by activist Chris Glen. Claire shared it on Labour's Blog.
Old 3rd June 2012, 21:29     #1307
A Corpse
talkative lurker

Without fact-checking? Seems stupid at best.
Old 3rd June 2012, 21:49     #1308
CCS
Stunt Pants

Clare Curran. Heh.
Old 4th June 2012, 19:23     #1309
fixed_truth

Bluewink

Cullen accepts honour he helped scrap
Old 5th June 2012, 01:07     #1310
crocos

... And your point is? Or do you just like the headline? The man is a well-known monarchist, and has been so for a long time.

Old 5th June 2012, 10:15     #1311
fixed_truth

I thought he disagreed with Labour's getting rid of titles but he seems to have contradicted himself in different interviews.

Quote:
A politician for almost three decades and MP for St Kilda (later Dunedin South) for 18 years, Sir Michael said he had largely agreed with Labour's decision to abolish titles, although the move did not get wide public support and the honours abbreviations introduced by Labour "had not been very imaginative".
http://www.odt.co.nz/news/dunedin/21...od-and-razzing

I was more amused that it was probably something he was against (ie abolishing knighthoods) at the time but had to toe Aunties line. Guess he got the last laugh, by getting a knighthood.

edit: calling Helen Aunty seems wrong now. Thanks The GC

Last edited by fixed_truth : 5th June 2012 at 10:18.
Old 9th June 2012, 09:58     #1312
chubby

Lightbulb some might be interested

all can be accessed electronically.

http://thevoyage.co.nz/
Old 13th June 2012, 19:08     #1313
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

National just forced itself into an embarrassing backdown - like, fucking humiliating, its first real fuckup since being in power - on school class sizes, and all Labour is going on about in the House is ACC.

WTF?
Old 13th June 2012, 20:20     #1314
CCS
Stunt Pants

What's amazing is that some people still support Labour and think that those buffoons are fit to run the country.

What's even more amazing is that some people think it's a good idea to give the Greens ever more power.
Old 13th June 2012, 20:43     #1315
chubby

Quote:
and all Labour is going on about in the House is ACC.
discount cocksuckers standard drivel.....check the most common activity here for the last couple of days.seems even 'smart' peeps prefer trivial and distracting detail.

(though yeah..they still suck and dont deserve to win.)
Old 14th June 2012, 01:20     #1316
Saladin
Nothing to See Here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCS
What's even more amazing is that some people think it's a good idea to give the Greens ever more power.
Old 14th June 2012, 01:50     #1317
fixed_truth

Quote:
Originally Posted by chubby
discount cocksuckers standard drive
Let's be honest, who doesn't?
Old 29th June 2012, 17:51     #1318
CCS
Stunt Pants

Labour wants electioneering ban removed

Seriously.

Quote:
The Labour Party wants a ban on electioneering on election day to be scrapped, saying it was "puritanical" and "from a bygone era."

Labour's General Secretary, Chris Flatt, told the justice and electoral select committee it was time for the ban to be reviewed and there was no logical reason for all election advertising to disappear by midnight the night before.

He said provided there were laws to prevent intimidation of voters, there was no reason why electioneering should not be allowed on election day as was permitted in Australia and several European countries.

"The puritanical view in New Zealand could be reviewed, especially in light of the number of people who make up their mind to vote in the last week of the election campaign, and the 12 per cent who make up their minds on the day itself."

However, Chief Electoral Officer Rob Peden told the committee that it had been part of the political culture since the late 1800s.

"New Zealanders may not be experts on many aspects of electoral administration but one thing most know is that you can't electioneer on the day."
That part in bold is exactly why I think there should not be electioneering on election day. Although people typically don't, I would rather voters make their minds up based on something more substantial than who can get their hoardings closest to a polling place so that Politician X's dumb grin is the last thing they see before they cast their vote.

We should really be doing more to help the public make educated votes, rather than dumbing it down even more.
Old 29th June 2012, 19:50     #1319
chubby

Snore

like a hoarding the day before?
you're way too easily distracted.
Old 29th June 2012, 20:35     #1320
CCS
Stunt Pants

Yes. Like a hoarding the day before. But that hoarding is gone by the time the punters reaching the polling place. You understand that, right? The vast vast majority of people won't vote before election day. You understand that, right?