Go Back   NZGames.com Forums > General > Open Discussion > Politics
User Name
Password

Old 13th May 2019, 13:56     #4881
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightspeed
You reckon give drink/drug drivers the benefit of the doubt?
If a person with "drugs" in his/her system is driving along perfectly safely and the load of an approaching logging truck comes loose and a log goes through the windscreen, decapitating the driver, that gets recorded as a road fatality with drugs as a contributing factor.

Quote:
As an aside, it annoys me differentiating alcohol from other drugs. I would just say drugs outright, but I figure people would assume I mean drugs other than alcohol.
It's a can of worms all right. Alcohol is legal so it gets treated differently. If cannabis is legalised will it have an impairment threshold below which stats will no longer be recorded? Coffee is legal but it's not included. Are drowsy antihistamines included?
Old 13th May 2019, 14:10     #4882
Lightspeed

As long as the data has always been recorded consistently, it's still useful. I would suggest it's pragmatic to err on the side of caution where consequences are dramatic.

Legal or otherwise, worse drugs are consumed, we need to deal the best we can.

Maybe we need old school testing where police can make a judgement on a person's capacity to drive. We're going to have a growing population of ageing drivers. What kind of objective roadside test for dementia is available?

I think disincentives are important, we can't just give up because it's hard. And we need a more comprehensive approach too. If it's accepted that getting off the hook is something we do, maybe we should make it easy for that to happen while mitigating the risks?
Old 13th May 2019, 15:01     #4883
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Quote:
As long as the data has always been recorded consistently, it's still useful.
It hasn't. I stumbled on this post while googling some of the stats in Juju's linked MoT PDF to try and get better context:

https://roadtoll-nz.blogspot.com/201...o-believe.html

Since some of the red flags appear to be "IT migration clusterfuck" and "all the knowledgeable staff quit or got made redundant" I would not be surprised if government shortsightedness is at the root of it after all.
Old 18th May 2019, 01:15     #4884
Lightspeed

RBNZ revokes ANZ NZ's accreditation to model its own capital requirements due to 'persistent failure' in its controls and attestation
Old 23rd May 2019, 20:49     #4885
MadMax
Stuff

www.coalitionparty.co.nz

well played
Old 24th May 2019, 11:43     #4886
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

This internet thing will be great it will place power back in the hands of the people

https://mashable.com/article/amazon-...cann-approved/
Old 24th May 2019, 12:23     #4887
blynk

ROFL
"At one point, the company had even offered $5 million in gift cards to Brazil and Peru, the ACTO member states who originally filed the complaint, to no avail."

WTF. Gift Cards. Not cash. Gift cards. They probably took the view that there is leakage with gift cards, so the $5m is really on $3m
Old 24th May 2019, 13:36     #4888
DrTiTus
HENCE WHY FOREVER ALONE

Laugh

Don't worry, we have a true internet hero fighting for our freedom
Old 27th May 2019, 17:27     #4889
Lightspeed

Syphilis cases spike in Auckland (Dec 2016)

Quote:
The number of syphilis cases in Auckland hit its highest level in recent decades in 2015, in line with a trend in developed countries.
Cuts to Auckland sexual health services (Feb 2017)

Quote:
Despite HIV and syphilis cases at record high levels, sexual health services are being cut by the Auckland District Health Board, critics say.

The DHB insists the changes will actually increase staffing numbers and improve services, focussed around "patient-centred, self-directed care."

Public warned as Auckland faces a syphilis outbreak
(May 2019)

Quote:
The Auckland District Health Board deputy chief medical officer, Dr Richard Sullivan, said there was a concerning pattern emerging as numbers continued to rise, both in the Auckland region and globally.
What a puzzle.
Old 27th May 2019, 20:46     #4890
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

The amazing thing is how cuts to Auckland health services cause an increase in syphilis rates worldwide. 09 sluts must be frequent flyers.
Old 27th May 2019, 21:26     #4891
Lightspeed

Yeah, that totally wasn't an excuse to justify any reduction in services. Unlike us, the rest of the world hasn't engaged in any kind of austerity measures, what we're seeing is some social phenomena unrelated to the decisions of our leadership. Social collapse is just something that happens, who knows how or why. Social services are just like love to a child. Indulgent but ultimately unnecessary.
Old 28th May 2019, 11:32     #4892
pxpx

ah, the slippery slope fallacy, a new one for LS.
Old 28th May 2019, 13:20     #4893
Lightspeed

Do you have a set of fallacy dice that you roll when you want to dismiss someone without having to think about it?

Babies you make dumb. That the conclusion I've come to. Formerly intelligent people have their brains eaten away by the effort of raising children. The world becomes this place where things happen for unknowable reasons, suggestion to the contrary evoking anger.

I get that could earn me an ad hominem rebuke, but that would only be if that's what coincidentally comes up on your dice. Not like I have to worry about anyone actually trying to explain themselves.
Old 28th May 2019, 13:28     #4894
Lightspeed

World changes, sees consequences.
New Zealand changes similarly, sees similar consequences.

SLIPPERY SLOPE FALLICKICY GUYSES!
Old 28th May 2019, 13:59     #4895
pxpx

Old 28th May 2019, 14:15     #4896
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Quote:
Formerly intelligent people have their brains eaten away by the effort of raising children
story checks out
Old 28th May 2019, 14:18     #4897
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Quote:
Quote:
Most cases were in gay or bisexual men
Something something behaviour?
Old 28th May 2019, 14:44     #4898
CCS
Stunt Pants

o_O

Quote:
Do you have a set of fallacy dice that you roll when you want to dismiss someone without having to think about it?

What fallacy did you roll to get that sentence?
Old 28th May 2019, 14:59     #4899
Lightspeed

o_O

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ab
Something something behaviour?
Behaviour being the realm of priests, beyond the understanding of mere mortals? Anyone claiming such knowledge to be burned for witchcraft?
Old 28th May 2019, 15:04     #4900
Lightspeed

Rates of homeless Māori in Auckland should be a wake-up call

Maori must be the cause of their own problems. Certainly there could be no larger forces at play which undermines people's ability to make sound decisions, vulnerable groups being most obviously impacted.
Old 28th May 2019, 16:07     #4901
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Quote:
Behaviour being the realm of priests, beyond the understanding of mere mortals? Anyone claiming such knowledge to be burned for witchcraft?
No, obviously, what I'm asking is: why is sexually transmitted disease on the rise among gay and bi men after decades of decline, decades during which NZ was nowhere near as accepting of homosexuality as it is now? Are people having homosexual sexual contact behaving differently in this year of our lord 2019 compare with 1999?

Or is it something as simple as the rise of antibiotic-resistant strains of syhphilis?
Old 28th May 2019, 16:41     #4902
Lightspeed

Those seem like helpful questions to ask. Who might be the most appropriate people to ask such questions, able to bring a body of knowledge and experience as well as a disciplined approach? Maybe there are even more useful questions an experienced researcher might be aware of. Have we seen evidence of these questions being explored? Do you think that's what DHBs meant with their do-it-yourself services they spoke of? Was it your sense they were keen to invest in developing such knowledge?

Quote:
Dr Peter Saxton, director of the Gay Men's Sexual Health research group, advocated against the cuts, and said they were going to hurt those who were vulnerable the most.

Young people, Maori and Pacific people, and gay and bisexual men are priority groups for sexual health services, and will bear the brunt of staffing cuts, he said.
What do you think of this fellow and his thoughts? Worth paying attention to, or a biased perspective? Just should stay out of politics, focus on his job?
Old 28th May 2019, 16:58     #4903
crocos

Quote:
What do you think of this fellow and his thoughts? Worth paying attention to, or a biased perspective? Just should stay out of politics, focus on his job?
Trick question: At the Director level his job IS politics, else he's not doing it right.

وكل يوم كنت تعيش في العبودية
Old 29th May 2019, 08:25     #4904
fixed_truth

Quote:
Maori must be the cause of their own problems. Certainly there could be no larger forces at play which undermines people's ability to make sound decisions, vulnerable groups being most obviously impacted.
Reading an article the other day that gave an evolutionary explanation as to why we believe in freewill. Basically that when we don’t, we’re more likely to behave immorally.
Sam Harris responds that this underlying freewill assumption also hinders empathy and from this restricts the best course of action to achieve outcomes we want to see in society.
Quote:
Whereas the evidence from Kathleen Vohs and her colleagues suggests that social problems may arise from seeing our own actions as determined by forces beyond our control—weakening our morals, our motivation, and our sense of the meaningfulness of life—Harris thinks that social benefits will result from seeing other people’s behavior in the very same light. From that vantage point, the moral implications of determinism look very different, and quite a lot better.
Quote:
“We need to know what are the levers we can pull as a society to encourage people to be the best version of themselves they can be.”
I’ve always has this problem with (for lack of a better term) “right-wing” ideology because with this innate assumption about freewill & personal responsibility does come a restriction on the levers that as a society we need to be pulling. These assumptions are so ingrained that you can even point out that research shows types of community service/welfare intervention to have positive outcomes and people still have ideological objections based on personal responsibility and fairness. While all this focus on the cost of & morality of spending is going on society is paying the price for not considering the cost of not intervening.
Old 3rd June 2019, 11:52     #4905
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Cmon people those seniors gold cards aren’t gonna pay for themselves

https://i.stuff.co.nz/business/opini...the-tax-burden
Old 3rd June 2019, 13:42     #4906
CCS
Stunt Pants

Come on Ab, don't you care about the most vulnerable in society?

Also though, $70,000 as the top tax rate is retarded. Should be more like $100,000.
Old 3rd June 2019, 15:02     #4907
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

That's my point. It is retarded. There's no reason for having the top tax rate start down that low unless you were trying to squeeze the middle class for every cent you can get.

In other news

Quote:
The Government will spend $7.7 million on upgrading and enhancing the SuperGold card after years of the scheme being "neglected".

NZ First leader and Deputy Prime Minister Winston Peters said the changes to the GoldCard would make it a "super, SuperGold card".
Old 3rd June 2019, 17:26     #4908
CCS
Stunt Pants

What cost power? $7.7 million, so far...
Old 3rd June 2019, 19:25     #4909
DrTiTus
HENCE WHY FOREVER ALONE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ab
That's my point. It is retarded. There's no reason for having the top tax rate start down that low unless you were trying to squeeze the middle class for every cent you can get.
The effective rate on $70k is only 20%, so things could be much worse.

Income Distribution shows that many more people earn less than $70k (~1.7M) than those who earn more (~700k).

If $94k was the new boundary, ~300k people [who are already above average earners] would be better off by up to about $14/week (depending on where they sit in the bracket).

When things are so bad that $10/week on a $1000/week income changes your life, I think it is safe to say it is not the tax bracket that is the problem.
Old 3rd June 2019, 20:15     #4910
DrTiTus
HENCE WHY FOREVER ALONE

Exclamation

That Deutsche Bank tho.
Old 3rd June 2019, 21:16     #4911
CCS
Stunt Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCS
What cost power? $7.7 million, so far...

Oh and a CGT. Forgot that. Super, super, double, double, gold card and a Capital Gains Tax is what it will cost your party. What else is there?
Old 4th June 2019, 00:03     #4912
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

The Provincial Growth Fund, 3 billion dollars that obviously weren't needed anywhere else and which are allocated solely to an electorate that NZ First wants Shane Jones to win.
Old 4th June 2019, 11:38     #4913
pxpx

The tax brackets should be adjusted every 5 years in line with inflation.
Old 4th June 2019, 14:25     #4914
fixed_truth

MMP's not perfect (I reckon 0.83% party vote = 1 seat could be worth a look) but on the positive side Northland is a pretty rundown provence.
Old 4th June 2019, 15:35     #4915
CCS
Stunt Pants

We'll have to wait and see how much Northland actually ends up benefitting from Jones's largesse.
Old 4th June 2019, 16:19     #4916
Nich

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrTiTus
That Deutsche Bank tho.
https://bitcoinist.com/bitcoin-buy-f...ank-pompliano/

"Today Deutsche Bank is valued at just over $14 billion and the stock price is in a free fall. If we could raise the capital, it would be interesting to purchase the failing bank and revive it by embracing Bitcoin. Crazier things have happened."

... but also...

"When designing a space rocket you don’t need the Wright Brothers plane.”
Old 4th June 2019, 20:50     #4917
DrTiTus
HENCE WHY FOREVER ALONE

Chinese banking system not looking good after Baoshang failure

Quote:
Bank of Jinzhou, a city commercial bank in Liaoning Province, the second name in the list above, and with some $105 billion in assets, notably bigger than Baoshang, announced that its auditors Ernst & Young Hua Ming LLP and Ernst & Young had resigned, not long after the bank announced it would delay the publication of its annual reports.

For those confused, the delay of an annual report and the resignation of an auditor, means a bank failure is not only virtually certain but practically imminent.

As for buying Deutsche Bank - what's the saying? Don't try to catch a falling knife?
Old 4th June 2019, 20:59     #4918
StN
I have detailed files

I can see the conversation at the State Services Commission now...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ab
"..yeah, so the web guy left and we decided to spend his FTE funds on this excellent moon monkey card thing for conflict resolution..."
Old 5th June 2019, 08:04     #4919
CCS
Stunt Pants

^
Old 7th June 2019, 11:23     #4920
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Read:

https://thespinoff.co.nz/politics/07...ted-years-ago/