NZGames.com Forums
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Go Back   NZGames.com Forums > General > Open Discussion > Politics
User Name
Password

Old 24th November 2018, 23:13     #4681
Lightspeed

It seems like people are responding to a trash as usual NZH article. The comments I've seen make it sound like he got fired for suggesting Santa couldn't be a woman, but really it was the guy was suggesting Santa's helpers should be women wearing skimpy clothes.
Old 24th November 2018, 23:51     #4682
fixed_truth

The herald article. Has a load of direct quotes from the guy about excluding woman,
https://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/a...ectid=12165296
Quote:
"It is my responsibility that the people hired to perform the character of Santa Claus are able to be as authentic as possible in order to provide the best possible experience for children."
Baker said he took this responsible seriously, and only hired those who he believed could perform a "believable and accurate" representation of a traditional Santa.

A spokesperson for the Human Rights Commission said sex was a "prohibited ground of discrimination" under the Act.

But there were a number of circumstances where it would not be unlawful to discriminate on the ground of gender, like if the role involved counselling on personal matters, or a combat role in armed forces.

"For reasons of authenticity" was also included in the list.
Which is interesting because St Nic was Greek afaik. So if you can have Santa with different ethnicities then why not gender?
Old 25th November 2018, 00:22     #4683
Lightspeed

I haven't read the article, RNZ cites it however, this being the relevant quote:

Quote:
Neville Baker told the NZ Herald women should not perform the role of Santa Claus, and went on to say that Santa's little helpers wear a little skirt and top, something he said a man wouldn't do.
Old 25th November 2018, 08:18     #4684
xor

Quote:
Originally Posted by fixed_truth
The herald article. Has a load of direct quotes from the guy about excluding woman,
https://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/a...ectid=12165296

Which is interesting because St Nic was Greek afaik. So if you can have Santa with different ethnicities then why not gender?
Because Santa is a jolly fat man, AKA Father Christmas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightspeed
I haven't read the article, RNZ cites it however, this being the relevant quote:
If that's true then he's a dick and should be replaced by some other fattie with a beard
Old 25th November 2018, 09:31     #4685
fixed_truth

Quote:
Originally Posted by xor
Because Santa is a jolly fat man, AKA Father Christmas.
I guess that's progress from jolly fat white man.
Old 25th November 2018, 09:57     #4686
xor

And this is why Labour will get rolled in the next election.
Old 25th November 2018, 11:05     #4687
fixed_truth

What's the Labour Party got to do with any of this?
Old 25th November 2018, 13:30     #4688
Lightspeed

A rallying cry for right wing extremists who will get behind Collins? I don't really see it TBH.
Old 25th November 2018, 14:40     #4689
Lightspeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by xor
If that's true then he's a dick and should be replaced by some other fattie with a beard
Which is exactly what happened, right? The Parade opted to get their Santa from a different agency.
Old 26th November 2018, 10:07     #4690
fixed_truth

Reading some of the outrage I can understand where the traditionalist are coming from if we're talking about there being a women version of Santa but a lot of people are against woman putting on a fake beard and suit and pretending to be Santa, which I don't get. Maybe a lot of people tell their kids that Santas at parades and department stores are the real Santa rather than a helper Santa?
Old 26th November 2018, 12:11     #4691
Jodi

Oh my, my daughters would lose their shit if they found out that Santa was actually a woman just pretending to be a man to maintain a disguise.
Old 27th November 2018, 18:54     #4692
StN
I have detailed files

I think in my dotage I have started to agree with Shane Jones.

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/a...ectid=12167145
Old 27th November 2018, 21:27     #4693
pxpx

It's fucking awful. Suffered through it multiple times. I'm not even (that) old.
Old 27th November 2018, 23:45     #4694
CCS
Stunt Pants

I agree that it's a shitarse video. But doesn't Shane Jones have bigger things to worry about? He's got some trees to plant.
Old 28th November 2018, 09:12     #4695
StN
I have detailed files

Come now CCS - Shane is renowned for pulling his weight for the community.
Old 28th November 2018, 11:05     #4696
Juju
get to da choppa

Quote:
"But he needs to stay well clear of having any opinion about my role in politics."
...says the guy who has no problem spouting his opinion about the guys role in corporate management.

such a choad.
Old 1st December 2018, 22:40     #4697
Lightspeed

Putin and Saudi crown prince high-five at G20 summit

The state of the world in a handshake.
Old 2nd December 2018, 13:29     #4698
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Yep, pretty much. Fuck.
Old 5th December 2018, 19:43     #4699
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

I have David Farrar’s Kiwiblog in my morning RSS-feed-reading, and Reeder presents it nice and cleanly. Today i stupidly loaded the site in a web browser, and I present here for your edification a case study of why, on the Internet in this the year of our lord 2018, you should never read the comments.

https://www.kiwiblog.co.nz/2018/12/t...originals.html
Old 9th December 2018, 02:31     #4700
Lightspeed

Is this irony?

Huawei arrest: China demands release of Meng Wanzhou
Old 9th December 2018, 11:52     #4701
Nich

Maybe it's a bargaining chip to coerce China to join the Five-eyes.

I don't think there is any moral high ground stance here. Let's say US tried to take one such as: embedding spying into ubiquitous hardware is beyond the pale. Well, people might start talking more about how politicians worldwide are trying to make encryption illegal (starting in Australia with Assist and Access bill) and maybe that is just too openly oppressive to stomach in a normal society.

So perhaps the next news story will be that the CFO has been safely returned to China, and hey 5G networks will be rolled out for free across the globe! Cmon everyone get that new phone feeling!
Old 9th December 2018, 13:55     #4702
Lightspeed

Maybe it's just a "hey, we can conveniently disregard rights and imprison people too y'know", to China.

Quote:
A Chinese foreign ministry spokesperson told reporters her detention was possibly a rights abuse.

"The detention without giving any reason violates a person's human rights."
ORLY?
Old 9th December 2018, 14:22     #4703
Nich

Radical constructive hypocrisy
Old 9th December 2018, 18:39     #4704
CCS
Stunt Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nich
Maybe it's a bargaining chip to coerce China to join the Five-eyes.

Old 11th December 2018, 23:25     #4705
DrTiTus
HENCE WHY FOREVER ALONE

[Now that John McCain and George HW Bush are dead], the US Federal Government has agreed to allow "9/11 truthers" to put their evidence of a controlled demolition before a Special Grand Jury.

I'm skeptical about any group or individual being named/prosecuted (because national security), but I guess good on the US Government for letting them go through the process?
Old 12th December 2018, 13:40     #4706
blynk

Why does it matter if George Bush Snr is now dead?
Old 12th December 2018, 14:56     #4707
StN
I have detailed files

Perhaps it relates to why some of the Kennedy assisination documents were carried over in the embargo (or did Oliver Stone make that 50 year figure up?) because we have to wait for all the involved parties to be unaccountable/dead.
Old 12th December 2018, 15:24     #4708
DrTiTus
HENCE WHY FOREVER ALONE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ab
I don't see anything anywhere about all your information being deleted at the conclusion of the search. If they clone your device assume that your info is retained for ever whether you get the device back or not.
Ab was sort of right. Despite laws being in place for your info to be deleted, US Customs fails to delete personal data after search
Old 18th December 2018, 00:22     #4709
Lightspeed

I'm not sure what's more upsetting in this clip. The dog mishandling, or Putin appearing like a human.
Old 18th December 2018, 02:24     #4710
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrTiTus
Ab was sort of right. Despite laws being in place for your info to be deleted, US Customs fails to delete personal data after search
surpriiiiiiiiise
Old 19th December 2018, 13:42     #4711
Lightspeed

Thumbs down

Private investigators used vehicle register to spy on environmentalists for years

Dodgy cunts.
Old 19th December 2018, 14:06     #4712
Nich

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ab
surpriiiiiiiiise
At the current rate, Australia border security wear their data retention policy as a badge of honour and just announce on their website:
"We ain't ever going to delete the data we scraped off your phone as you entered/exited the country. What you gonna do about it, cunt?"
Old 11th January 2019, 13:49     #4713
DrTiTus
HENCE WHY FOREVER ALONE

Yellow vests plan co-ordinated cash withdrawal from banks
Old 12th January 2019, 04:57     #4714
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Late stage capitalism yo

https://newrepublic.com/article/1528...onomy-its-hell
Old 13th January 2019, 00:57     #4715
Lightspeed

AKA living in a plutocracy.
Old 21st January 2019, 17:41     #4716
DrTiTus
HENCE WHY FOREVER ALONE

Cam Slater (WhaleOil) partially disabled after a stroke

Paralysed in his right side, he's begun to appreciate the left more than he cares to admit.
Old 21st January 2019, 17:43     #4717
Lightspeed

Damn, poor guy. He's young for a stroke, although his health never looked that great.
Old 21st January 2019, 17:45     #4718
Lightspeed

I just read the article...

Quote:
A "radio silence" approach had since been taken to protect Slater's privacy, while also allowing him to begin his recovery "without having to deal with vultures picking at his bones", the post states.
Projection much?
Old 21st January 2019, 17:51     #4719
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Call me cynical but I don't instantly assume that anything in that post is true.
Old 21st January 2019, 18:37     #4720
StN
I have detailed files

Yeah - timeframe fits when he was supposedly supporting Jamie-Lee Ross and the big root up rumours.