Go Back   NZGames.com Forums > General > Open Discussion > Politics
User Name
Password

Old 20th June 2020, 12:31     #961
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nothing
I mean, yea. I get it, on a whole bunch of different levels. I'll even agree with you that not only does it look dodgy, but is actually actively shitty. But this is the political world we live in, and what would you have us do? Vote National back in? In these conditions?
Complain about it. Tell people that what Labour is doing is actively shitty. Write to your MP.
Old 20th June 2020, 17:23     #962
Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ab
Complain about it. Tell people that what Labour is doing is actively shitty. Write to your MP.
I don't really have much of a social life, so there aren't that many people that my complaints would really make any difference to, but I have emailed MPs about it.
Old 20th June 2020, 17:29     #963
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Good on you.
Old 20th June 2020, 18:14     #964
Nothing

My email:
Quote:
"I'm writing out of concern for the Māori media sector. Several friends of mine have expressed concern to me that the actions labour is taking with Māori media will reduce the diversity of providers available in that sector of the media market, at a time when diversity of voices is likely to be important. One friend described these actions as 'actively shitty'.

https://thespinoff.co.nz/atea/19-06-...ment-minister/

I urge you to explore other options, rather than centralising Māori media into a single service."
Response from Nanaia Mahuta:
Quote:
"Tena Koe

This is not the case and the core aspiration is to ensure that the Maori Media ecosystem is better positioned for the reality that we are now facing. That is a rapidly changing environment where audiences are consuming content on multiple digital platforms alongside liner television.

The discussion document maintains a focus on te reo Māori revitalisation, focussing more on quality content creation, being informed by audience demand, supporting the growth of the digital sector and enabling the diversity of news to support the role of Iwi radio in this new environment alongside many other things.

I am hosting several engagements on line in relation to the range of options being discussed and I welcome feedback.

Those independent producers who have been critical of the options are engaging with this important discussion because they all acknowledge that the status quo is not sufficient.

Thanks for your email.

Nanaia Mahuta
Minister for Maori Development
edit: What really amazes me is that I got a response within an hour of sending the email. That has never happened to me with an MP before.

Last edited by Nothing : 20th June 2020 at 18:16.
Old 22nd June 2020, 07:41     #965
StN
I have detailed files

I still have problems with her partner being her 1st cousin (Flashbacks to Homo Erectus...). But you have to say one thing about Labour - they go for diversity!

Last edited by StN : 22nd June 2020 at 07:42.
Old 22nd June 2020, 18:48     #966
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Edge
A fair number of people still seem to think Jacinda is best placed to run the country, as opposed to Todd:
https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/300...s-mullermehtum
I quite like having Jacinda as PM in a time of disasters. I think the government she leads is full of lightweights, disaster-prone incompetents, and corrupt parasites.
Old 22nd June 2020, 21:59     #967
Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ab
I think the government she leads is full of lightweights, disaster-prone incompetents, and corrupt parasites.
So, politicians, then.
Old 22nd June 2020, 22:52     #968
Lightspeed

I hate to start a sentence with "I mean..." but... I mean... do you guys experience much difference elsewhere?

At least in my work life I've found positions are about as likely to be filled by someone adequately competent as not. Senior positions filled by a mix of the competent, and those who have successfully exploited our power structures often through completely arbitrary means.
Old 23rd June 2020, 20:33     #969
crocos

Lucky to be working with a bunch of extremely competent people in their various areas - only becomes not as good when they step out of their zones but seem to be smart enough to recognize that.

The joys of working in a small agile business.

Well.. always possible that I'm the incompetent...

All that aside yes I have seen what you're talking about.

وكل يوم كنت تعيش في العبودية
Old 24th June 2020, 16:03     #970
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ab
disaster-prone incompetents
Speaking of Phil Twyford, I see the glorious Auckland Light Rail project has been, well, Phil Twyford.
Old 25th June 2020, 01:43     #971
Lightspeed

While David Clark endears himself less and less, I'm not sure the claim Bloomfield was the de facto Minister of Health has sound basis.

I certainly was grateful to hear from a working expert rather than a politician. Much preferable to a politician trying to keep their position, which is the job we charge politicians with.

It'd be great if our politicians could be more like Bloomfield, but we don't vote that way.
Old 25th June 2020, 02:04     #972
Lightspeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ab
Speaking of Phil Twyford, I see the glorious Auckland Light Rail project has been, well, Phil Twyford.
There appears to be still some hope:

https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/300...will-be-funded

Something has to be done.
Old 2nd July 2020, 13:39     #973
Cyberbob

David Clark resigns as Health Minister
Old 2nd July 2020, 15:13     #974
StN
I have detailed files

Much has been said (well, in the Herald) about Jacinda doing her Facebook live video from Premier house, and their being a chalkboard with scribbles, and the re-use of the cabinet chairs. No-one mentioned the most Aunty Cindy thing ever - clothes drying rack in the living room!
Old 2nd July 2020, 17:57     #975
Lightspeed

You know, I have no clue who Kelvin Davis is. I thought Robertson was Deputy Leader of Labour.
Old 2nd July 2020, 18:15     #976
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

dats wacist
Old 2nd July 2020, 18:28     #977
Lightspeed

Is he the guy that gets shit down while the PM puts on a good show?

D'oh, that's sexism too.
Old 6th July 2020, 08:12     #978
blynk

Yeah, hes probably the least publicised Deputy Leader.
Because you have Peters as Deputy PM, then Robertson as Finance (which is usually more public that the DL.

But in saying that, who was the Deputy Leader of National in the JK administration. Was it actually English? I thought it was, again he was Finance.
Old 6th July 2020, 09:56     #979
Cyberbob

He was DPM but also MoF. Finance was just his portfolio. Key had Tourism while being PM.
Old 6th July 2020, 13:10     #980
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Quote:
Could somebody please send out a search party and locate Tourism Minister Kelvin Davis?

I don't mean that literally. I know where he spent last week - at Parliament - which makes his absence from the Government's public response all the more gobsmacking.

The tourism sector is imploding, countless jobs are being lost, and many are left with a feeling of uncertainty.

We have seen the finance, education, media and social development ministers all head to the main podium to be held to account. But not Davis.

I know why. Davis struggles in front of the camera. There are no easy answers to this unprecedented crisis, and it takes a consummately skilled communicator to stand in the Beehive Theatrette, live on television, and answer questions when there are often no answers.

Davis proved an utter train wreck when he assumed the position of acting prime minister a few years ago. The Government can't afford to wheel him out again to flunk and fluster his way through a 40-minute press conference on the country's biggest export earner - his portfolio - tourism.

https://www.stuff.co.nz/travel/news/...d-him-the-most
Old 24th July 2020, 22:30     #981
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Quote:
Stuff understands Lees-Galloway and the woman met for a romantic rendezvous in Paris in January, while he was in the city on official Government business. According to a source close to one of the parties, he paid for her flights and hotel.
mmm Labour govt
Old 25th July 2020, 01:39     #982
crocos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ab
mmm Labour govt
If he got his work done and HE paid for her flights (ie didn't get govt to pay) then over the moral issue of cheating on his spouse, I don't see the issue.

Old 25th July 2020, 06:20     #983
pxpx

Yet we allow MPs to place conscience votes on important issues.
Old 25th July 2020, 14:22     #984
Lightspeed

It's just jealousy. Dude's off around the world attending high power conferences, having hot hotel sex, we're all hurrumph!

Don't worry, we'll have robot overlords soon enough, with their absence of genitals.
Old 25th July 2020, 14:43     #985
blynk

Quote:
Originally Posted by crocos
If he got his work done and HE paid for her flights (ie didn't get govt to pay) then over the moral issue of cheating on his spouse, I don't see the issue.
Apparently the affair is not the issue. Just that he had the Workplace relations portfolio.

Maybe its bad hes going. He was smart enough not to charge anything back to the ministry.
Old 25th July 2020, 16:04     #986
Nothing

Can't say I'm sorry to see him go, as minister for ACC he was unhelpful.
Old 26th July 2020, 19:03     #987
fixed_truth

Holy crap

National Party plummets even further in lastest major political poll

Labour – 61% up 4.4
National – 25% down 5.5
Greens – 5.7% – up 0.2
NZ First – 2% – down 0.7
Act – 3.3% up 1.5%
Old 26th July 2020, 20:13     #988
crocos

Just glad it hasn't gone to NZF... though that being said, can't trust polls - too often don't reflect actual result.

Old 28th July 2020, 14:17     #989
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Herald:

Quote:
Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern has again been forced to defend herself, and her ministers, from attacks from her Deputy Prime Minister, Winston Peters.

In a speech this morning, Peters – also the leader of New Zealand First – took aim at Labour, his coalition partner, and the Greens.

A Government of those two parties in a coalition, Peters said, would be a “nightmare”.
ummm
Old 28th July 2020, 18:49     #990
Nothing

Well, Winston behaving that way will only seal his own political doom, in the current climate.
Old 28th July 2020, 19:44     #991
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Nope. Winston's voter base is people who hate the government. To appeal to those people Winston has to slam the government. The fact that he is PART of the government is not relevant. If he could do a press release calling Jacinda an ineffectual little girl out of her depth, he would.
Old 28th July 2020, 21:55     #992
blynk

basically they have to start showing how they are different to labour and the Greens.
So there is going to be a lot more of this happening. Winston will just be trying to get in one last time and then retire.

I do hope that NZF go, or maybe even better, they get in, but Labour doesnt need them and they go with the Greens.

Or even better would be Labour goes with the Greens, but brings in NZF as well, and every time something comes up that Winston would usually do his typical "No" at the last minute, they can turn around and give him the big middle finger.
Old 28th July 2020, 22:08     #993
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

What was that line from Dune - "he who can destroy a thing, controls the thing"? Winston has proved that in this government's term. He can end the government by leaving the coalition. Therefore he controls the government. This has been proven time and time again.
Old 28th July 2020, 22:37     #994
crocos

Winston is everything that is wrong with MMP.

Old 29th July 2020, 00:28     #995
Nothing

I dunno, most of Winston's base are people over 65, aren't they? The ones who are the most vulnerable to the 'rona? They might generally not like the government, but I bet they love the way the government has succeeded in keeping the 'rona out. Not sure that's something Winnie can take credit for.
Old 29th July 2020, 01:47     #996
Nothing

See? This is what I'm talking about
Old 29th July 2020, 10:30     #997
blynk

Quote:
Originally Posted by crocos
Winston is everything that is wrong with MMP.
Yes, but it seems to have worked alright with every other minor party that have been part of a coalition.
(Although most of them do get wiped out)
Old 29th July 2020, 11:45     #998
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Two separate issues:

Winston is a vampire who will do whatever benefits him personally the most, including destroying a government

MMP is flawed and one of its side-effects is that minor parties tend to get wiped out
Old 29th July 2020, 13:38     #999
Nothing

As opposed to say, FPP, in which minor parties never have an opportunity to influence policy ever.
Old 29th July 2020, 16:04     #1000
fixed_truth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ab
MMP is flawed and one of its side-effects is that minor parties tend to get wiped out
Could drop the threshold to 0.83%. I reckon this would mean more parties and so the more options big parties have to make up coalitions the less smaller parties can over-leverage.