Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Go Back   NZGames.com Forums > General > Open Discussion > Politics
User Name
Password

Old 13th May 2020, 16:12     #921
Lightspeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ab
Jacinda is teflon right now. Let's see how unemployment and economic indicators are going closer to election time.
Maybe, but look at the kind of challenges she's facing. People are arguing over the definitions of words to try and find a problem. Pointing out an MP who walked down the road between their home and their unoccupied former residence. I mean, lolololz, the government volunteers all these documents, and that has to be spun as not being transparent enough.

There's nothing to stick.
Old 13th May 2020, 17:11     #922
fixed_truth

I'm glad that she has completely destroyed old stereotypes about who can & can't be a competent leader. It was only a few years ago that many people had pretty entrenched ideas such as you had to be a certain age, you couldn't have kindness & compassion as your foundation and you had to have had work experience in a field they judge to be of value. Oh and you could never do it effectively with a newborn; unless you were a man of course.
Old 18th May 2020, 18:39     #923
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Quote:
The National Party has plummeted to 30 per cent in the first public poll since the Covid-19 crisis took hold.

The Newshub Reid Research poll has National at 30.6 - while Labour has rocketed up to 56.5 per cent under Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern's leadership through the Covid-19 crisis.

As preferred PM, Ardern was at 59.5 per cent - up 20.8 points on the last poll and the highest any Prime Minister has scored in the Reid Research poll's history.

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/a...ectid=12332872
Old 18th May 2020, 19:52     #924
Lightspeed

You reckon those number will sustain moderately well come election time? If the government to keeps playing steady-as-she-goes like they have, we surely won't face the kind of drama that's going to play out elsewhere, and it will show.
Old 19th May 2020, 00:05     #925
Nothing

It's hard to say for sure. If we have a bad second wave of covid, that could certainly change the way people vote, especially after the trauma of the lockdown. If people felt like it had all been a waste of time then I think they might be inclined to take that feeling out at the polling booth. If that came to pass it would be a terrible shame, because I can't imagine how awful shit would have been if we'd had the fucking incompetents in National at the helm at this moment in history.

On the other hand, if we don't have a second wave, I have a hard time imagining anything that could arrest Labour's momentum.
Old 19th May 2020, 00:09     #926
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Nah, if there's a second wave and the shit hits the fan people will love Jacinda even more. It was that nasty Simon Bridges and all those capitalists who wanted the restrictions lifted.
Old 19th May 2020, 00:17     #927
Nothing

Well shit, Ab, I like your optimism!
Old 19th May 2020, 08:03     #928
fixed_truth

Wow. The left block is roughly double the right block. It's nice when public sentiment aligns with the fact that neo-liberalism is bad.
Old 19th May 2020, 09:19     #929
Cyberbob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nothing
If people felt like it had all been a waste of time then I think they might be inclined to take that feeling out at the polling booth
Best case scenario is that it's perceived as a waste of time. That's the ideal outcome in an international pandemic scenario IMO.
If they don't see what all the fuss was about - GOOD.

It just doesn't play off well politically.
Old 19th May 2020, 10:18     #930
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Quote:
Originally Posted by fixed_truth
Wow. The left block is roughly double the right block. It's nice when public sentiment aligns with the fact that neo-liberalism is bad.
While the Covid crisis has certainly been a kick in the nuts for modern capitalism, I wouldn’t say that public sentiment is against it. Most people are happy to be part of that system. People just like being looked after in times of anxiety, and that’s right up Jacinda’s alley. That ain’t a Left Bloc, it’s a Jacinda Bloc.
Old 19th May 2020, 14:24     #931
fixed_truth

Correlates is probably a better word than aligns. Neo-liberalism is objectively bad and because Labour/Greens are quite a lot less neo-liberal than National & Act then it's great when they're popular. Regardless of whether voters understand this or not.
Old 19th May 2020, 15:16     #932
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Quote:
Originally Posted by fixed_truth
Neo-liberalism is objectively bad
I would say "has flaws and can produce undesirable outcomes".

Quote:
Labour/Greens are quite a lot less neo-liberal than National & Act
In what way?
Old 19th May 2020, 16:37     #933
Lightspeed

How does the picking and choosing of experts like lawyers rate on the neolib scale?

Is that even worth consideration? Are experts even necessary? Probably not, right?
Old 19th May 2020, 16:46     #934
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

What's neoliberalism again? For the purposes of this discussion I mean. The thing by which fixed_truth is judging the NZ political parties.
Old 19th May 2020, 16:57     #935
Lightspeed

I've come to understand it as a 1984-esque version of liberalism. A bunch of power loving, money grubbing, people hating fucks over the last century or so cooking up strategies to separate people from their decisions so they can be made for them.

That's what we see right? Wealth, power, decision making concentrated into the hands of the few? Inequality, injustice, even in our most developed nations.
Old 19th May 2020, 17:08     #936
fixed_truth

Yeah ideas like free market, privatisation and minimum government intervention. Minimising taxes, anti unions, trickle down. Inequality as a result of of personal effort, ignoring inherent advantages. Stuff like that.
Old 19th May 2020, 17:11     #937
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

It doesn't sound like you guys are talking about the same thing at all.
Old 19th May 2020, 17:18     #938
Lightspeed

We're definitely not. I don't know f_t, we haven't discussed any of this before hand.

Any agreement or disagreement will have to manifest here.

And I'm a layperson on such matters. But we've already established the value of expertise, so I don't know why I bring it up.

Last edited by Lightspeed : 19th May 2020 at 17:19.
Old 19th May 2020, 23:46     #939
Lightspeed

I wonder if it's like talking about Marxism, Bolshevism and Communism. They're all different things, but they're all conflated.

In a neoliberal world, how does a dummy like me answer the question "what's neoliberalism"? Neoliberalism is the way of the world.

The 1984-esque nature doesn't help. Defence means war, protecting ourselves means attacking others, investment strategies means funding cuts.
Old 26th May 2020, 12:55     #940
Nothing

David Harvey's A Brief History of Neoliberalism

Last edited by Nothing : 26th May 2020 at 12:57.
Old 26th May 2020, 13:09     #941
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nothing
But MARXISM!!!1
Old 28th May 2020, 00:08     #942
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Labour to push through compulsory internet filtering, because Labour

https://www.kiwiblog.co.nz/2020/05/g...ompulsory.html

ObKiwiblog: never read the comments
Old 28th May 2020, 00:50     #943
Nothing

I mean, personally, given that the purpose of the filtering is to shut down stuff that is intended to radicalise the next would-be Christchurch shooter, I'm actually okay with it.
Old 28th May 2020, 07:59     #944
pxpx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ab
That ain’t a Left Bloc, it’s a Jacinda Bloc.
This is so true, can you imagine Helen Clark standing next to Ashley Bloomfield every day answering questions for weeks on end? Helen wanted to restrict our use of lightbulbs and the country nearly burnt her at the stake.
Old 28th May 2020, 10:42     #945
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ab
Labour to push through compulsory internet filtering, because Labour

https://www.kiwiblog.co.nz/2020/05/g...ompulsory.html
Rabid right-wing neoliberal white supremacist Danyl McLauchlan:

Quote:
I trust the prime minister a lot more than her critics do. But I also believe that a lot of her cabinet ministers are incompetent, and others are highly unscrupulous, and that this government makes operational and policy blunders on a scale we haven’t seen in our last few decades of technocratic centrism (as I was writing this the news broke that the entire lockdown may have been illegal).
Also me, in this very thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ab
I have very very strong feelings of suspicion when a Labour government whose current leader fetishises Michael Joseph Savage does anything to do with influencing media channels.
Old 2nd June 2020, 20:39     #946
Lightspeed

This looks decent:

Government reveals free trades training for next 2.5 years

It'll be interesting to see how they ramp up training capacity quickly. It's what we need though.
Old 2nd June 2020, 20:46     #947
Nothing

Oh hey, here's a really cool read about how neoliberalism is basically the path to inverted totalitarianism. Thanks, National party supporters (and also the 1984 Labour government, and in particular Roger Douglas, founder of ACT.)

https://www.truthdig.com/articles/sh...talitarianism/

Last edited by Nothing : 2nd June 2020 at 20:47.
Old 2nd June 2020, 23:31     #948
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Interesting. I'll read more. Ta.
Old 3rd June 2020, 17:58     #949
Lightspeed

More decency:

Government to provide free sanitary items in schools
Old 6th June 2020, 19:09     #950
Lightspeed

More decency, probably doesn't go far enough tho:

Crackdown on loan sharks welcomed
Old 7th June 2020, 10:51     #951
fixed_truth

NZ First MP Shane Jones to stand in Northland at election
Will be interesting to see if his big spend up greased up the electorate enough.
Old 15th June 2020, 19:57     #952
Lightspeed

o_O

https://www.labour.org.nz/2020-list

What's a Kelvin Davis?
Old 16th June 2020, 12:28     #953
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Had such high hopes for KD.
Old 16th June 2020, 12:30     #954
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Hey remember when Jacinda gave us all the empathy feels by announcing that she and other Ministers in the government would be taking a 20% pay cut in solidarity with the public during the COVID economic crunch?

lol can't believe anyone fell for that, of course they didn't take a pay cut
Old 16th June 2020, 13:15     #955
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Also as the mask continues to slip: it's an election year and the Māori electorates currently held by Labour will be crucial, so whaddya know a government review has concluded that all Māori media activity should be centralised at the government-controlled Māori Television.

https://thespinoff.co.nz/atea/12-06-...overhaul-plan/

Yeah I know there was a multimillion-dollar COVID bailout package for non-Māori media outlets to ensure a broad range of voices was maintained, but those media channels won't win us the Māori seats bro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ab
I have very very strong feelings of suspicion when a Labour government whose current leader fetishises Michael Joseph Savage does anything to do with influencing media channels.
Old 19th June 2020, 14:54     #956
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Latest development - interrupt me if you’ve heard this one before - Labour appears to have no idea what it’s doing

https://thespinoff.co.nz/atea/19-06-...ment-minister/
Old 19th June 2020, 16:41     #957
Nothing

TBH Ab, yeah, I have heard that one before. It's a bit stale tbh.
Old 19th June 2020, 17:50     #958
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Labour silencing all Maori media except the one it can directly control is a thing. I actually care bout this one
Old 19th June 2020, 21:44     #959
Nothing

I mean, yea. I get it, on a whole bunch of different levels. I'll even agree with you that not only does it look dodgy, but is actually actively shitty. But this is the political world we live in, and what would you have us do? Vote National back in? In these conditions?
Old 20th June 2020, 07:57     #960
The Edge

A fair number of people still seem to think Jacinda is best placed to run the country, as opposed to Todd:
https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/300...s-mullermehtum